INDIAN DAHL WITH SPINACH
- Rinse lentils and soak for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and stir in salt, lentils, turmeric and chili powder. Cover and return to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook 5 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Add more water if necessary.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onions with cumin and mustard seeds, stirring often. Cook until onions are transparent, and then combine with lentils. Stir in garam masala and coconut milk and cook until heated through.
MASOOR DAL (SPICED RED LENTILS)
What I have come to understand is that how food looks as you prepare it can make as much difference to the cook as it does, on the plate, to the person who gets to eat it. When the skies are drab and life feels a little gray, I am absurdly cheered by the fresh brightness of a vibrantly orange dal, a red lentil stew spiced with turmeric, chili and ginger, and colored with sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Just seeing that mixture in the pan lifts my spirits. It helps that a dal is simple to make: a bit of chopping and the stew all but cooks itself. And it can be made in advance and then reheated, always a bonus. This dal makes a wonderful, exuberant partner to broiled salmon, but I love it without meat, too, when I partner it with my "bright rice."
Recipe From cooking.nytimes.com
Provided by Nigella Lawson
Categories easy, side dish
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil, and sauté onion until softened. Add sweet potato, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add minced ginger and garlic; stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Finely dice chili, keeping seeds if you wish to add more heat. Add chili, lentils, coriander, cumin, turmeric and ground ginger to pan. Stir until lentils are well coated with oil. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer. Cook uncovered until lentils and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, and continue to simmer until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk dal to amalgamate lentils and sweet potatoes. If dal is too soupy, increase heat and cook for a little longer.
- To serve, place dal in a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. If desired, shave thin strips of fresh coconut on top. Serve hot.
SPICY INDIAN DAHL
- Cook the lentils by boiling or pressure cooking until lentils are soft. (Pressure cooking is faster.)
- In a skillet heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to flutter, add onions, ginger, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Saute until the onions and garlic are golden brown. Add coriander and cumin. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute the mixture well until tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add water. Boil 6 minutes. Add cooked lentils, stirring well. Add salt to taste, stirring well. Add finely chopped cilantro and remove from heat. Serve hot.
EASY DAHL RECIPE
My family recipes from India and Sri Lanka are all quite good, but this is one of the easiest and best!
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Jaya-Jaya
Yield 6-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- NB ALL spices and quantities are adjustable, you can leave out one or more spices. If you like a thinner dahl, add more water. If you like a thicker dahl, add less water. This serves more if used as a side dish.
- Pick through dried pulses for stones or other foreign material in a plastic bowl or ice- cream container.
- Rinse several times by swishing water in this container, like washing rice.
- Place in dutch oven or extra large saucepan and cover with water about two inches over the top.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drain pot, and save the water for your plants.Cover with fresh water and bring to boil.
- Simmer for about 30-4o minutes until dahl is tender, or mushy, however you like it. You can add more boiling water from your kettle as you are cooking, if you think it's getting dry. Some kinds of pulse take longer than others, and some absorb more water.
- Then stir in tomato and spinach,
- Whilst dahl is still simmering gently, place oil in a small frypan, and heat. Add the spices to the hot oil and fry whilst stirring until the cumin seeds darken and begin to roast 30sec-1&1/2 mins - be careful, the mustard seeds may start to pop and spit.
- As soon as the spices begin to darken and roast, tip the contents into your dahl pot and stir. BE CAREFUL, YOU ARE ADDING FAT TO WATER. STAND BACK FROM THE POT AS YOU ADD.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over steamed Basmati rice.
Make some dhal-ightful lentil curries for a filling veggie supper... These Indian-inspired recipes include variations on black dhal and a red lentil dish.
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Number Of Ingredients 1
curries 60-minutes-or-less time-to-make course main-ingredient preparation occasion main-dish side-dishes beans vegetables easy vegetarian dietary spicy inexpensive lentils onions peppers taste-mood 3-steps-or-less
People also searched
More recipes about "dahl"
DAL RECIPE (INDIAN LENTIL CURRY) | THE DELICIOUS CRESCENT
2020-01-30 · Heat oil in a small sauce pan and sauté cumin seeds, dried red chillies, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, shallots and tomatoes. Then add green chilies, turmeric, …
- Rinse the lentils well until the water is clear and drain in colander. Tip: If using other yellow lentils instead of red lentils, then soaking in water for about an hour will help.
- In a medium cooking pot take the drained red lentils, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, sliced garlic, turmeric, water and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook it for about 30 minutes. Add salt to taste and continue to cook until most lentils start breaking down, become a bit mushy and turn into a thick sauce like consistency.
- Cook the dal until it reaches a consistency that is thinner than what is desired, because it will thicken further after cooking.
DHAL RECIPE – HOW TO COOK IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS (WITH VIDEO)
2018-11-24 · Masoor Dal. This is a quick and easy recipe. First, it is the fastest lentil to cook, only fifteen minutes after soaking. Secondly, it is high in protein, making it an ideal choice for vegetarians who want to obtain a balanced nutrition. Dal tadka. This is a more complicated recipe …
DAL (INDIAN LENTIL CURRY) | RECIPETIN EATS
2018-07-06 · Lower heat to medium, add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute until garlic starts to turn golden and smells amazing. Add tomatoes and cumin, …
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy based saucepan over high heat. Add green chillies and fry for a minute until starting to blister.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute until garlic starts to turn golden and smells amazing.
DHAL | RICARDO
2013-01-21 · In a saucepan, brown the onion in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic, ginger, and spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the …
HOW TO MAKE DHAL | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
2014-04-04 · The recipe we have given below is a delicious everyday dhal, but you should experiment. If I had known about it as a student, I would have happily eaten it …
HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE RED LENTIL DAL RECIPE AT HOME
2020-12-28 · To start, heat a tablespoon of oil, ghee or butter. When the oil heats up, add the whole spices (star anise, cinnamon, black cardamom, bay leaf). Saute for 30 …
SPICY INDIAN LENTIL DAHL RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Gather the ingredients. In a 3-quart stockpot or other medium-sized soup pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. …
A GUIDE TO LENTILS & BASIC TARKA DHAL RECIPE | FEATURES ...
2014-05-21 · Place the lentils in a pan and cover with enough cold water to come to around two inches above their surface. Bring to the boil (skim off any scum that rises …
13 BEST DAL RECIPES - HOW TO COOK IT TO PERFECTION ...
2021-06-03 · Dal Recipes-India is one of the few countries that is blessed with variety in almost every aspect, food being the most obvious one. The unquestionable love and celebration of good food has been bringing people together since decades, and when we think of good food, one of our most loved preparations comes to mind - the quintessential Dal. From Dal Makhani to Panchratna Dal…
See details ››
LENTIL RECIPES | 85 DAL RECIPES | EASY DAHL RECIPES
2020-05-27 · Dal recipes - Love lentils & legumes? Try out these super delicious, comforting and healthy protein-packed Indian dal dishes you can make any time of the year. Dal is an Indian word for lentils. We use various kinds of lentils / legumes in our …
See details ››
EASY DAHL RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE
2021-06-17 · Check out our best dahl recipes including red lentil dahl, coconut dahl and easy vegan lentil dahl. Then try our low-fat vegetarian recipes. Advertisement. Easy dahl recipes Coconut dahl recipe with crispy paneer. A surprisingly low calorie dinner, with cubes of golden paneer on top of gently spiced dahl. Best eaten with lots of chapatis. Chickpea dahl …
See details ››
EASY CHANA DAL RECIPE (SPLIT CHICKPEA CURRY) | LIVE EAT LEARN
2019-12-04 · This is one of the easiest chana dal recipes ever. The cooking instructions basically consist of just four parts, and it truly couldn’t be easier. Though 1 hour and 45 minutes are required, most of that is spent letting the chana dal soak! Soak: Add chana dal …
- Soak: Add chana dal to a pot and cover with water. Let soak for 1 to 2 hours (or 8 hours, if starting in the morning before work). Strain before using.
- Base: Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet or pot, then add onion, ginger, garlic, and garam masala. Cook until onion is softened and fragrant (about 3 minutes), then add the whole can of diced tomatoes, strained chana dal, and water.
- Cook: Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chana dal is soft enough to be pinched between two fingers (about 25 to 40 minutes). Add more water, as needed, until chana dal has cooked through. Season with salt, taste, and add more salt/garam masala as needed.
- Serve: Serve warm with rice, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and fresh cilantro. I also love it with a dollop of plain yogurt and some homemade naan!
THIS VEGETABLE DAHL IS THE PERFECT WINTER WARMER - ABC ...
2019-07-08 · All the dahl ingredients cost around $20 — and you'll have heaps of spices and some veg left over to use for other dishes. This recipe was originally made on Short Cuts to Glory, Matt Okine …
- Wash the dahl or lentils thoroughly. Place in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 30 minutes, then drain through a sieve.
- While the dahl or lentils are soaking, prepare the vegetables. Dice the onions. Chop the garlic into small pieces. Cut the stalk off each chilli and cut down the length to open up the chilli. Remove the white parts and seeds, then finely dice the chilli. Peel the ginger and grate it on a fine-holed grater. Peel the butternut pumpkin and sweet potato, then cut into 2cm cubes. Remove any green leaves from the cauliflower, then cut it into small pieces, discarding the base of the stalk.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add the dahl or lentils and simmer for about 10 minutes or until just cooked through. Once it's done, set aside until needed.
- Place a dry frying pan over low heat, then add the coriander seeds and stir with a wooden spoon until they are fragrant (this should take 1-2 minutes). Tip onto a plate to cool completely, then grind to a powder. If you don't have a spice grinder, place the seeds in a plastic sandwich bag, seal and then bash with a wooden rolling pin until crushed.
DAL TADKA - COOK WITH MANALI
2019-02-19 · I hope you guys enjoy this dal tadka recipe, we sure did! Serve it with jeera rice for a perfect meal. Method. 1- To a pressure cooker add toor dal along with turmeric, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 …
- Pressure cook for 4 whistle on high heat then lower the heat and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. If using an Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 8 minutes with natural pressure release. Set it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat ghee on medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds and cloves. Saute for few seconds until fragrant.
TOP 10 BEST EVER DHAL RECIPES - BBC GOOD FOOD
- Spinach, sweet potato & lentil dhal. This really is the daddy of all dhal – packed with iron and low in fat, our spinach, sweet potato and lentil dhal serves up three of your five-a-day in one delicious dish.
- Aubergine dhal with tomato & onion raita. Say hello to goodness in a bowl – our gluten-free aubergine dhal packs in all of your five-a-day. Super comforting and spiced with turmeric and ginger, this dish still packs a punch.
- Creamy black dhal with crispy onions. This creamy black dhal is a slow cooker sensation – it may take a little bit of forward thinking, but it’s worth it.
- Khatti dhal. Our scrumptious khatti dhal can be adapted to just the consistency you like. Seasoned with tamarind paste and hot chilli powder, this dish has a wonderful sweet and sour flavour.
- Chickpea & coconut dhal. This subtle chickpea and coconut dhal uses a traditional Indian method of seasoning called ‘tarka’, bringing a real taste of India to your home.
- Next level dhal makhani. This super duper next level dhal makhani is truly deserving of its name. A rich and buttery dish, it’s designed to bring comfort and happiness to those who make it.
- Red lentil & squash dhal. Perfect as a starter and a main, our hearty red lentil and squash dhal uses butternut squash for a healthier twist on an Indian classic.
- Sweet & sour lentil dhal with grilled aubergine. Tamarind is the secret ingredient in our sweet & sour lentil dhal, bringing an irresistible tangy flavour.
- Tarka dhal. The aroma of a classic tarka dhal stewing away on the stove is enough to make anyone’s stomach rumble. This healthy dinner takes just five minutes of prep, then time to reduce and reach the desired consistency.
- Spinach dhal with harissa yogurt. Rustle up a wholesome bowl of spinach dhal with a dollop of creamy yogurt and aromatic harissa. This simple, healthy dinner uses our basic lentil base and just four ingredients to create a filling dinner for two.
RED LENTIL DAHL RECIPE (MASOOR DAL) – NO SWEAT VEGAN
2021-01-12 · This dahl recipe is perfect for making ahead or meal prep because the flavors actually deepen and improve over time. Just hold off on garnishing and store seperately from rice or any sides. Reheat in a pot or skillet with an extra tablespoon or two of water. How to store. Store any leftover red lentil dahl …
- Measure the red lentils and place them in a fine-mesh strainer. Sort through to remove any tiny pebbles or other varieties of lentils. Rinse with water. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they start to turn translucent.
RED LENTIL DAHL (EASY INDIAN RECIPE) - BIANCA ZAPATKA ...
2020-10-07 · Heat the coconut oil in a skillet or saucepan. Add the chopped onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and ginger sauté for another minute until fragrant. …
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet or saucepan. Add the chopped onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and ginger sauté for another minute until fragrant. Lastly, add the spices, and sauté for a few seconds to unfold flavors.
- Place the lentils in a fine-mashed sieve and rinse until cold running water. Then add them to the onion mixture in the skillet. Pour in the vegetable broth, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook covered for 8-10 minutes, or until the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Add the coconut milk and strained tomatoes (if using) and simmer another 5-10 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. (If the sauce is too thick, add a little more broth or coconut milk, until the desired consistency is reached). Season with salt, pepper, coconut sugar, and lime juice to taste.
INDIAN RED LENTIL DAL - THE WANDERLUST KITCHEN
2019-01-18 · Place the rinsed lentils in a large saucepan along with 3 cups of room temperature water. Turn the heat to medium and allow the lentils to cook for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a …
- Place the rinsed lentils in a large saucepan along with 3 cups of room temperature water. Turn the heat to medium and allow the lentils to cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick; cook for 60 to 90 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the onion, green chili pepper, garlic, and ginger; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are turning translucent.
- Add the turmeric, cardamom, paprika, salt, and tomato to the pan. Cook until the tomato begins to fall apart, about 2 to 3 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
COCONUT & LENTIL DAHL RECIPE · DELICIOUSLY ELLA
2021-02-27 · Place a pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped garlic with olive oil and salt and let that cook for 1-2 minutes before adding all the spices, followed by the chopped tomatoes. Stir well, letting the garlic and spices fry together for a few minutes before stirring through the lentils, followed by …
HOW TO COOK PERFECT DAL | INDIAN FOOD AND DRINK | THE GUARDIAN
2011-06-02 · Nigel Slater dal. Photograph: Felicity Cloake for the Guardian. Nigel Slater’s pleasingly simple recipe, which boils up raw onion, tomato, garlic and chillies along with the spices and dal ...
BASIC DAHL | LENTIL RECIPES | SBS FOOD
Heat the oil in a slow cooker over high heat. Add the lentils, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, red chilli, onion, garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, until the onion softens. Add the coriander, stock and chopped vegetables, and cook over low heat for at least 1 hour (the longer the better). Stir in the parsley just before serving.
COCONUT RED LENTIL DAHL: SIMPLE, DELICIOUS, NUTRITIOUS, VEGAN.
DAL RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK