an easy and tasty lentil recipe. cheap and quick! it's quite hot so i like it served with rice and a green vegetable.
Time: 60 minutes
- put the lentils , turmeric and stock in a saucepan and bring it to the boil
- then reduce the heat and simmer , uncovered , for 20 minutes
- most of the liquid should be absorbed
- in the meantime , melt the margarine in a saucepan and add the onion , yellow pepper , garlic , chili powder , cumin , salt and pepper to taste
- fry until the onion is soft and starting to brown
- take out the garlic and add the cooked lentils
- reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or so
Number Of Ingredients: 9
- vegetable stock
- yellow pepper
- garlic cloves
- chili powder
- ground cumin
SPICY INDIAN DAHL
A spicy Indian lentil soup that can be enjoyed with rice or Naan, the Indian bread. A very healthy dish.
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Rachel
- Cook the lentils by boiling or pressure cooking until lentils are soft. (Pressure cooking is faster.)
- In a skillet heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to flutter, add onions, ginger, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Saute until the onions and garlic are golden brown. Add coriander and cumin. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute the mixture well until tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add water. Boil 6 minutes. Add cooked lentils, stirring well. Add salt to taste, stirring well. Add finely chopped cilantro and remove from heat. Serve hot.
Number Of Ingredients: 13
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
Recipe From foodnetwork.com
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 to 6 servings
- In a large pot, heat the ghee and stir-fry the onions just until wilted, do not brown. Add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin, lentils, ginger, curry powder, salt, pepper, sugar and bay leaf. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes, until the herbs and spices bloom (aromatic). Add the tomatoes and deglaze with the vinegar. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning with cumin, salt, pepper and sugar.
- In a large saute pan, combine the black peppercorns, cloves, cardamom seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, and dried red chiles. Over medium heat, cook just until slightly toasted, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and stir in the grated nutmeg.
- Transfer to a food processor and grind to a fine powder. Pass through a fine strainer. Allow to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight jar. Use as needed.
Number Of Ingredients: 23
- 1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 2 cups orange lentils
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- Four 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup dried red chiles
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
MASOOR DAL (SPICED RED LENTILS)
What I have come to understand is that how food looks as you prepare it can make as much difference to the cook as it does, on the plate, to the person who gets to eat it. When the skies are drab and life feels a little gray, I am absurdly cheered by the fresh brightness of a vibrantly orange dal, a red lentil stew spiced with turmeric, chili and ginger, and colored with sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Just seeing that mixture in the pan lifts my spirits. It helps that a dal is simple to make: a bit of chopping and the stew all but cooks itself. And it can be made in advance and then reheated, always a bonus. This dal makes a wonderful, exuberant partner to broiled salmon, but I love it without meat, too, when I partner it with my "bright rice."
Recipe From cooking.nytimes.com
Provided by Nigella Lawson
Yield 4 to 6 servings
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil, and sauté onion until softened. Add sweet potato, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add minced ginger and garlic; stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Finely dice chili, keeping seeds if you wish to add more heat. Add chili, lentils, coriander, cumin, turmeric and ground ginger to pan. Stir until lentils are well coated with oil. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer. Cook uncovered until lentils and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, and continue to simmer until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk dal to amalgamate lentils and sweet potatoes. If dal is too soupy, increase heat and cook for a little longer.
- To serve, place dal in a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. If desired, shave thin strips of fresh coconut on top. Serve hot.
Number Of Ingredients: 15
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces, about 1 medium) finely diced sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Thai or bird's-eye red chili
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Pieces of coconut flesh from a fresh coconut (optional)
This is a delicious Indian lentil soup with spicy red onions!
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Melanie Booth
- Bring lentils, water, and ginger to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Skim off and discard any scum that forms, then stir in the salt, ginger and turmeric, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 1 hour more.
- Meanwhile, melt ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic. Cook and stir until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more, then set aside. Once the lentils are done, discard the ginger slices, stir in the onion mixture and ladle into bowls to serve.
Number Of Ingredients: 12
- 2 cups red lentils
- 7 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 thin slices ginger
- 1 pinch ground dried turmeric
- ⅓ cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
CHANA DAL, NEW DELHI-STYLE
Julie Sahni, an Indian cooking teacher, cookbook author and chef, says that in much of Indian cooking, the less you fuss with beans, the better they cook. This recipe, for spiced split chickpeas, calls for a mathani, a sort of hand blender, but if you don't have one and don't want to buy one, a potato masher will do the trick.
Recipe From cooking.nytimes.com
Provided by Mark Bittman
Yield About 4 servings
- Combine the chana dal, turmeric, cardamom, bay leaf, salt and 4 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles gently, cover partly and cook for 40 minutes. At that point, the mixture should still be quite moist; if it is not, add 1 cup additional water and continue cooking, covered, until the dal is tender, about 20 minutes; turn off the heat. Remove the bay leaf. Use an Indian mathani (see related article) to purée the dal for about 1 minute; the dal should be saucy but not soupy.
- To make the tadka, put the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cloves; let sizzle for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until medium brown. Stir in the chili flakes if you're using them, and turn off the heat.
- Pour the tadka into the dal; stir gently to combine. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Number Of Ingredients: 10
- 1 cup split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 bay leaf, preferably Indian
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower orsafflower oil
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed-red-chile flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
More recipes about dahl recipes
Dal recipes | 85 Indian lentil recipes | Easy dahl recipes
Recipe From : indianhealthyrecipes.comMay 27, 2020 · Dal recipes for your everyday meal!! Check out this collection of delicious, restaurant & homestyle healthy Indian lentil recipes ...Show details
Spicy Indian Lentil Dahl Recipe - The Spruce Eats
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comIn a 3-quart stockpot or other medium-sized soup pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring … ...Show details
How to Make a Simple Red Lentil Dal Recipe at Home
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comDec 28, 2020 · The most simple form of a dal recipe is prepared by boiling the lentils and tempering it with various spices, in addition to onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes. ...Show details
13 Best Dal Recipes - How to Cook it to Perfection
Recipe From : food.ndtv.comMar 11, 2021 · Dal Recipes-India is one of the few countries that is blessed with variety in almost every aspect, food being the most obvious one.The unquestionable love and celebration of good food has been bringing people together for many years, and when we think of good food, one of our most loved preparations comes to mind - the quintessential Dal.From Dal Makhani to Panchratna Dal… ...Show details
Dal Recipe (Indian Lentil Curry) | The Delicious Crescent
Recipe From : thedeliciouscrescent.comJan 30, 2020 · Heat oil in a small sauce pan and sauté cumin seeds, dried red chillies, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, shallots and tomatoes. Then add green chilies, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and kasuri methi. Stir and turn off the heat. Add most of the tempered spice oil and cilantro to cooked dal, stir and simmer. ...Show details
Indian Red Lentil Dal - The Wanderlust Kitchen
Recipe From : thewanderlustkitchen.comJan 18, 2019 · Place the rinsed lentils in a large saucepan along with 3 cups of room temperature water. Turn the heat to medium and allow the lentils to cook for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick; cook for 60 to 90 seconds, until fragrant. ...Show details
11 Easy Dahl Recipes - olivemagazine
Recipe From : olivemagazine.comApr 26, 2019 · Butternut squash dahl with eggs and crispy onions Brighten up your coconut dahl with butternut squash, soft boiled eggs and crispy onions - perfect for a warming midweek meal for four. Plenty more butternut squash recipes … ...Show details
Red Lentil Dahl (Easy Indian Recipe) - Bianca Zapatka
Recipe From : biancazapatka.comOct 07, 2020 · Heat the coconut oil in a skillet or saucepan. Add the chopped onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and ginger sauté for another minute until fragrant. … ...Show details
Dhal | Ricardo
Recipe From : ricardocuisine.comJan 21, 2013 · In a saucepan, brown the onion in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic, ginger, and spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the … ...Show details
Red Lentil Dahl Recipe (Masoor Dal) – No Sweat Vegan
Recipe From : nosweatvegan.comJan 12, 2021 · This dahl recipe is easy and delicious! Red Lentil Dahl is one of those deceptive dishes that seems so simple and yet when you taste it, you get an explosion of spices and flavor. Plus, … ...Show details
Vegan Dal Dahl Recipes
Recipe From : veganricha.comNov 25, 2017 · Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Daal / Dahl Recipes. Lentil Dal Oil-free options. A warming delicious Dal for any day. Chana Dal, Toor Dal, Urad Dal, Dal Tadka, Dal Makhani and more. ...Show details
How to cook perfect dal | Indian food and drink | The Guardian
Recipe From : theguardian.comJun 02, 2011 · Nigel Slater dal. Photograph: Felicity Cloake for the Guardian. Nigel Slater’s pleasingly simple recipe, which boils up raw onion, tomato, garlic and chillies along with the spices and dal ... ...Show details
Dhal Recipes | Hari Ghotra
Recipe From : harighotra.co.ukThere are lots of different types of lentils and pulses to choose from, and even more dhal recipes than there are spellings of it, each with their own unique taste! Dhal is a great comfort food and a great dish to experiment with in terms of spices and flavours so you can try out each dhal recipe… ...Show details
Dal Recipe: How to Make Dal | Simple Dal Recipe
Recipe From : recipes.timesofindia.comNov 10, 2017 · Dal Recipe is a blend of delicious dal and spices. Here's how you can make it at home. Take a pressure cooker and fill it with 4 cups of water. Now, add toor dal, chana dal and masoor dal … ...Show details
Masoor Dal Tadka - Indian Red Lentil Dal • The Curious
Recipe From : thecuriouschickpea.comApr 09, 2019 · Dal (also spelled dhal or daal) is one of the most versatile, healthy, filling, and delicious meals. Dal translates to lentil, but when referred to in the context of food it means a spiced Indian lentil soup. Dal … ...Show details
Simple, Creamy Lentil Dal Nirvana Recipe - Budget Bytes
Recipe From : budgetbytes.comSep 06, 2010 · This recipe, on the other hand is different. It’s simple, it’s delicious, it’s super filling and I’d happily eat it every day. I served the Dal with some simple, steamed jasmine rice and homemade naan (Indian flat bread). The recipe for the naan will be up in a couple of days… it turned out AMAZING! Dal … ...Show details
A guide to lentils & basic tarka dhal recipe | Features
Recipe From : jamieoliver.comMay 21, 2014 · Place the lentils in a pan and cover with enough cold water to come to around two inches above their surface. Bring to the boil (skim off any scum that rises … ...Show details
How to make dhal | Food | The Guardian
Recipe From : theguardian.comApr 04, 2014 · The recipe we have given below is a delicious everyday dhal, but you should experiment. If I had known about it as a student, I would have happily eaten it … ...Show details
Coconut Red Lentil Dahl: Simple, delicious, nutritious, vegan.
Recipe From : runningonrealfood.comJul 23, 2020 · Instructions Cook the onions, ginger and garlic in the coconut oil for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently until soft. Add the spices, coconut milk, lentils and water or vegetable … ...Show details