- Have the fishmonger scale and remove the heads from the fish. Wash and clean the fish and pat them dry with paper towels. Preheat 2 inches of oil for frying to 375 degrees in a deep, heavy skillet. While the oil is heating, mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper and coat both sides of the fish with the mixture. Place the butterfish in the hot oil and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally so that both sides are well browned. Drain them on paper towels and serve hot. They are as good for breakfast accompanied by grits and biscuits as they are for dinner with smothered cabbage or collard greens and cornbread.
CRISPY FRIED FISH
Bring back the Friday night fish fry tradition with this updated recipe. Using Progresso panko crispy bread crumbs help the crust stay extra-crisp, while the fish remains moist.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In shallow dish, mix flour and seasoned salt. In medium bowl, beat eggs and beer with whisk. Place bread crumbs in large resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- In electric skillet or deep fryer, heat about 2 inches oil to 350°F. Coat both sides of fish fillets with flour mixture, then dip in beer mixture, letting excess drip back into bowl. Place 1 or 2 pieces of fish at a time in plastic bag with bread crumbs; seal bag and shake to coat completely.
- Fry fish in batches in hot oil about 4 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 420, Carbohydrate 39 g, Cholesterol 240 mg, Fat 1 1/2, Fiber 0 g, Protein 41 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 880 mg, Sugar 2 g, TransFat 0 g
FISH POACHED IN BUTTERMILK
Jean-Georges Vongerichten, the chef and an owner of Jo Jo, discovered this pairing one night when he tried a stuffing for poussin with the fish and buttermilk. It worked. The combination of fish and buttermilk, he said, was a natural. ''If you look at poached fish in classic cooking,'' he said, ''they're always being cooked in milk.'' The chef found that buttermilk kept the flesh of the fish white and added a desirable touch of acidity.
Provided by Amanda Hesser
Categories dinner, project, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In a medium saute pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium low heat. Add shallot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add bread, and stir to combine. Add stock and simmer until bread has soaked up the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, stir in chives. Keep warm.
- Place olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter into a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add spinach and toss, using tongs, to wilt the leaves. Add sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- Season both sides of fish with salt and cayenne pepper. In a saute pan large enough for fish to fit in a single layer, combine fish, buttermilk and dill. Cover and place over medium heat. When buttermilk begins to simmer, cook for 2 minutes. Turn fish and cook for about another minute. Fish is done when firm to the touch.
- Remove fish from pan and keep warm. In a blender or with an immersion blender, whirl buttermilk with remaining 4 tablespoons butter. When it is re-emulsified, season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- In four shallow bowls, arrange spinach. Place fish on top, pour buttermilk sauce over each, topping it off with a spoonful of stuffing. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 598, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 31 grams, Fat 33 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 46 grams, SaturatedFat 17 grams, Sodium 1443 milligrams, Sugar 12 grams, TransFat 1 gram
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, water, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into a flat pan large enough to hold the fillets. Spread fish in one layer over bottom of pan, turning to coat each side, and set aside to marinate.
- In a 2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, and seafood seasoning. Add fish to mixture, a few fillets at a time, and tumble gently to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Deep fry fillets until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Avoid overcrowding so fillets have room to brown properly. Fish should be slightly crisp outside, and moist and flaky inside. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1427.2 calories, Carbohydrate 131.6 g, Cholesterol 145 mg, Fat 78.6 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 45.7 g, SaturatedFat 13.2 g, Sodium 799.9 mg, Sugar 5.9 g
OVEN "FRIED" FISH
The other day, my husband was asking for fish and chips but with my high cholesterol, I have to avoid things like that. I found in a magazine at the doctor's office this recipe for oven fried fish, which is nice and crispy like the deep fried kind but without all the fat. This is excellent served with evelyn/athens' Spicy Oven Fries and your favourite cole slaw recipe.
Provided by Irmgard
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Position rack on top shelf in oven.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top.
- Lightly spray or brush rack with vegetable oil.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels.
- Slice fillets in half lengthwise to form long pieces.
- In a pie plate or wide shallow dish, whisk egg white with buttermilk.
- In another dish, stir flour with bread crumbs, paprika, cayenne and salt.
- Working with 1 piece of fish at a time, lightly coat with flour mixture.
- Shake off excess flour, then dip into buttermilk mixture.
- Turn to evenly coat.
- Shake off excess liquid.
- Coat fish in flour mixture again.
- Shake off excess coating, then place on rack.
- Repeat with remaining fish, 1 piece at a time.
- Discard any remaining buttermilk or flour mixtures.
- Lightly spray fish with oil or, using a brush, lightly dab about 1 tbsp oil as evenly as possible over coating.
- Do not skip this step -- it is essential for crispy fish.
- Bake on top rack of preheated oven until coating is crisp and golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Do not turn.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 324.1, Fat 7.6, SaturatedFat 1.8, Cholesterol 86.3, Sodium 815.7, Carbohydrate 23.9, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 2.5, Protein 39.7
BUTTERMILK-AND-CORNMEAL PAN-FRIED CATFISH
- Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl combine cornmeal, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
- Heat about 1/8 inch of oil in large skillet over medium heat until a pinch of cornmeal mixture sizzles quickly.
- Dip catfish fillets into buttermilk to coat on both sides. Drain excess and dredge fillets in cornmeal mixture, coating both sides. Shake off excess.
- Fry fillets in oil, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until nicely browned and crisp.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 835, UnsaturatedFat 31 grams, Carbohydrate 68 grams, Fat 43 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 43 grams, SaturatedFat 8 grams, Sodium 636 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Whether I'm fixing cod fillets or my husband's catch of the day, this fish fry batter makes the fish golden and crispy. Club soda gives it a different twist, and the sweet and zippy sauce complements the fish nicely. -Nancy Johnson, Connersville, Indiana
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Rinse fillets in cold water; pat dry. In a large shallow dish toss flour and fish, 1 piece at a time. Combine next 9 ingredients. , In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1 in. of oil. Dip floured fillets in cornstarch batter; fry over medium heat until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 2-3 minutes on each side. Combine marmalade and horseradish; serve with fish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 346 calories, Fat 12g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 43mg cholesterol, Sodium 420mg sodium, Carbohydrate 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 19g protein.
BUTTERMILK BATTERED FRIED FISH RECIPE - (4/5)
Provided by JimMac
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper. In large mixing bowl, using a wire whisk or rotary beater, beat together egg and water. In separate large mixing bowl blend together flour and Buttermilk Blend. Dip fish in egg mixture, then in flour/buttermilk mixture. Heat shortening (1/8 inch) in skillet until hot. Fry fish in hot shortening over medium heat, turning carefully until brown on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
AMERICAN BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, white pepper, garlic powder, buttermilk, all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, oil
Provided by Alvin Zhou
Yield 3 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Combine the chicken with all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to make sure each piece of chicken is coated evenly, then cover with cling film and chill for about an hour.
- Combine all of the breading ingredients in a large bowl, then roll the marinated chicken pieces in the flour, shaking off excess. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat to about 350°F.
- Fry 3-4 pieces at a time for about 15-20 minutes until the breading is dark golden brown, flipping several times to ensure the breading cooks evenly and does not burn. The heat of the oil should drop to about 320°F.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels or on a wire rack, resting for about 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 807 calories, Carbohydrate 82 grams, Fat 24 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 59 grams, Sugar 8 grams
More about "easy buttermilk fried fish recipes"
BUTTERMILK PAN FRIED CATFISH - FOODNESS GRACIOUS
5/5 (2)Servings 4Cuisine AmericanCategory Main Course
BUTTERMILK-BATTERED PAN-FRIED FISH FILLETS RECIPE - PUREWOW
4.1/5 (8)Total Time 20 minsServings 4Calories 840 per serving
- Prepare the Fish: Pour some of the buttermilk into a shallow baking dish and add the fish fillets; add more buttermilk as needed to completely cover all the fillets. Let the fillets rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven for 200°F to keep the first batch of fish hot. Warm a serving platter in the oven. Have ready a baking rack set on top of a baking sheet for draining the fish.
- Put the seasoned flour on a plate or a small platter. One at a time, shake any extra buttermilk off each fillet and dip it into the flour on both sides, making sure it is covered, but not too thickly, then shake off any extra flour and lay the fillets on wax paper.
- Fry the Fish: Heat a heavy skillet (at least 10 inches wide) over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the oil or lard to a depth of ¼ inch, then add the bacon grease or butter. When the fat is sizzling, drop in half the fish. Fry until crisp and golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes, or longer for thicker fillets, then turn the pieces?just once!?with a long, wide spatula and let crisp on the bottom. Drain on the rack and keep warm?still on the rack?in the oven until all the fish is cooked. Add more oil or lard to the pan if needed to fry the second batch, and make sure it's hot before adding the fish.
BUTTERMILK FRIED FISH FILLET RECIPE - YUMMY.PH
- Prepare cream dory by washing and patting dry with paper towels. Put cream dory in buttermilk and soak for at least 10 minutes.
EASY FRIED FISH FILLET RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Ratings 328Calories 340 per servingCategory Entree, Dinner, Lunch
TOBY'S FISH AND CHIPS RECIPE | BOBBY FLAY | FOOD NETWORK
Author Bobby FlaySteps 3Difficulty Easy
HOW TO COOK FISH WITH BEST OVEN FRIED FISH RECIPE
OVEN FRIED FISH - THE SEASONED MOM
BUTTERMILK FRIED FISH - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
BUTTERMILK FISH BATTER RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
50 RIDICULOUSLY EASY FISH RECIPES - PUREWOW
OVEN "FRIED" FISH - CHATELAINE
10 BEST FISH FRY RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
BAKED COD WITH BUTTERMILK - THERESCIPES.INFO
CRISPY PAN FRIED FISH | RECIPETIN EATS
RECIPE FOR SOUTHERN FRIED FISH - MADE IT. ATE IT. LOVED IT
PAN FRIED FISH- GRANDMA STYLE - THE BOSSY KITCHEN
A PERFECT BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE WITH SOME TIPS AND TRICKS …
BUTTERMILK FRIED FISH - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
PAN FRIED COD FISH FILLETS - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
10 BEST BUTTERMILK FISH BATTER RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST DEEP FRIED FISH FILLETS RECIPES | YUMMLY
SOUTHERN PAN FRIED FISH (WHITING FISH RECIPE) - WHISK IT REAL GUD
BUTTERMILK-FRIED NASHVILLE HOT FISH SANDWICH RECIPE
BUTTERMILK FRIED FISH | MRFOOD.COM
HOW LONG TO SOAK FISH IN BUTTERMILK - THERESCIPES.INFO
CRISPY FRIED FISH SANDWICHES - THE SEASONED MOM
BUTTERMILK-FRIED NASHVILLE HOT FISH SANDWICH RECIPE
PAN FRIED FISH COATED IN EGG AND FLOUR RECIPE - MELANIE COOKS
BUTTERMILK FRIED FISH FILLETS - THERESCIPES.INFO
CRISPY OVEN FRIED FISH RECIPE - SAVORY NOTHINGS
SOUTHERN FRIED FISH - GRITS AND PINECONES
SOUTHERN FRIED FISH - THE BUTTERED HOME
CRISPY PAN FRIED FISH | FRIED FISH | FISH FRY RECIPE | FRIED FISH RECIPE
SOUTHERN FRIED CAT FISH - IMMACULATE BITES
50 EASY RECIPES WITH BUTTERMILK | MYRECIPES
CRUNCHY BATTER FRIED COD-BATTER-FRIED FISH RECIPE - EATS BY THE …
HOW TO MAKE A HOMEMADE FRIED FISH FILET SANDWICH | GMA
BUTTERMILK FISH FILLETS | MRFOOD.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook fish in buttermilk?Remove fish from buttermilk, discarding excess buttermilk, and place in biscuit baking mixture, coating evenly on both sides. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Place a few pieces of fish in skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden and fish flakes easily with a fork.
How do you make fried fish with cornmeal and flour?In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, water, salt, and pepper. In a 2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, and seafood seasoning. Heat oil in deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Deep fry fillets until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
How do you make fried catfish with buttermilk?In a bowl whisk together the buttermilk, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Pour the buttermilk over the catfish. Cover and let rest in the fridge. Place the cornmeal on a baking sheet. In a large pan, add about 1 inch of canola oil and heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a sprinkle of cornmeal into it.
How to cook butterfish in a pan?While the oil is heating, mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper and coat both sides of the fish with the mixture. Place the butterfish in the hot oil and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally so that both sides are well browned. Drain them on paper towels and serve hot.