- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sweat the onion, garlic, tomatoes, ginger, and Scotch bonnet pepper in the palm oil until vegetables are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the egusi seeds and toast in oil for 10 minutes. Add crayfish powder, Maggi, iru, and chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, over high heat, season the goat meat with salt and sear in canola oil until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Add the goat meat to the egusi mixture and simmer together for about an hour, or until the meat is tender. Add the pumpkin leaves during the last 20 minutes of cooking. The sauce should be thick and most of the liquid should have simmered off.
- Season to taste with salt. Swerve with fufu or pounded yam.
This soup is native to West Africa (Nigeria) and many of my American as well as Nigerian friends have enjoyed it. It is a great soup for those who like to try something different every once in a while. Ground Egusi seeds give this soup a unique color and flavor. If you can't find Egusi seeds, you can substitute pumpkin seeds. Any combination of crab, shrimp and smoked fish can be used in place of the shrimp. Drained, smoked oysters and chicken can be used in place of the beef.
Provided by Karena
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
- Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 757.9 calories, Carbohydrate 16.9 g, Cholesterol 306 mg, Fat 51 g, Fiber 4.8 g, Protein 60 g, SaturatedFat 14 g, Sodium 858.3 mg, Sugar 7 g
- Heat oil in a skillet and add beef until browned but not cooked. Transfer beef to a dutch over or pot.
- Cover beef with water, add beef base and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients except egusi, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add egusi.
- Simmer for at least an hour, possibly more. Add water to thin or more egusi to thicken the stew. Add salt to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1141.3, Fat 88.4, SaturatedFat 25.9, Cholesterol 262.4, Sodium 402.4, Carbohydrate 23.4, Fiber 8, Sugar 8.7, Protein 68.5
EGUSI SOUP (NIGERIAN CHICKEN STEW)
Egusi soup, also called melon soup (because the Egusi seeds come from a melon of the same name! You can use sunflower or pumpkin seeds though) is a delicacy enjoyed all over West Africa, especially amongst Nigerians anywhere they live. It is arguably the most popular Nigerian soup, especially in the Southern part of that country. There is some discrepancy regarding what should be in the stew - beef, chicken or goat. The precooked deli chicken helps to speed up the process! I have modified a Sandi Richard recipe. Enjoy!
Provided by Nif_H
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Egusi Paste: Chop seeds in blender. Add chopped onion to blender as you are cutting it. Add shrimp to blender. Blend until it becomes a smooth paste. You will likely need a little water or broth to help it blend.
- Stew: Heat oil in a large pot. Add finely chopped onion to oil. Stir until soft and translucent. Add green pepper and sitr.
- Add spinach (with moisture from package), tomato paste and spice. Add broth. Let simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove skin from roaster chickens and discard. With your hands, tear off chunks of the meat from chicken and add to the stew. Bring to a simmer again.
- Add paste, stir and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
More about "egusi stew recipes"
EGUSI STEW – HOW TO MAKE LUMPY EGUSI STEW/SOUP
4.7/5 (9)Total Time 35 minsCategory StewCalories 363 per serving
- Pour the Egusi Melon and one diced Onion in a bowl and use your hands to massage the Onions with the Egusi. This will infuse some onion flavor into the Egusi and the Oil in the Egusi will also be activated.
- Add some Oil in a Pan, enough to deep fry the Egusi and fry for about 4 mins turning halfway through on a medium heat (don't over fry this else you'll get a crunchy melon) - You will literally see the Egusi curdle up straightaway
EGUSI STEW | PRECIOUS CORE
4.6/5 (5)Total Time 35 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 525 per serving
- Add in chopped onions and let it saute for 3 minutes until translucent. Be sure to stir from time to time.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and let it cook until the tomato shrinks and starts sticking to the bottom of the pot.
EGUSI SOUP - NIGERIAN MELON SEED STEW - LOW CARB AFRICA
HOW TO MAKE NIGERIAN EGUSI SOUP RECIPE - DEMAND AFRICA
EGUSI SOUP (A MELON SEED SOUP/STEW) - INTERNATIONAL …
5 NIGERIAN RECIPES FOR WEEKNIGHT COOKING FROM …
BEST EGUSI SOUP | CHEF LOLA'S KITCHEN (VIDEO)
AN EGUSI STEW ALTERNATIVE: NIGERIAN ALMOND STEW
EFO ELEGUSI | YORUBA STYLE EGUSI SOUP - MY DIASPORA …
EGUSI SOUP FOR TRADITIONAL WEDDINGS - ALL NIGERIAN RECIPES
EGUSI — KOZULU
12 EGUSI SOUP RECIPES IDEAS - FOOD NEWS
EGUSI STEW | NIGERIAN LAZY CHEF
HOW TO MAKE GHANA EGUSI STEW || EGUSHIE(AGUSHEI)STEW …
EQUSI SOUP (NIGERIAN CHICKEN STEW) WITH FOO FOO (POUNDED YAM)
STEWY EGUSI SOUP RECIPE | NIGERIAN SOUPS | WIVES CONNECTION
RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD: PALAVER SAUCE (EGUSI STEW)
NIGERIAN EGUSI SOUP RECIPE · EAT WELL ABI
HOW TO MAKE EGUSI/ AGUSHI STEW - NAANASMEALS
EGUSI SOUP - IMMACULATE BITES
TASTY EGUSI STEW RECIPE - HUMBLE VEGE
EGUSI SAUCE – THE CONGO COOKBOOK
BEST EGUSI SOUP RECIPE - STEP BY STEP - YOUTUBE
EGUSI SOUP - NIGERIAN EGUSI SOUP | PRECIOUS CORE
EGUSI STEW RECIPE.
CABBAGE EGUSI SOUP - IMMACULATE BITES
INTRODUCING MOM’S AUTHENTIC EGUSI STEW RECIPE YOU’LL LOVE – …
HOW TO COOK AYAMASHE STEW (OFADA STEW) - WIVES CONNECTION
WHAT IS EGUSI STEW : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
RECIPES - DORA AFRICAN PRODUCE
EGUSI SOUP - EFO ELEGUSI - SISI JEMIMAH
HOW TO MAKE FUFU AND EGUSI SOUP/STEW FOR YOUR VIRAL TIKTOK
HOW TO PREPARE ASSORTED EGUSI STEW | PULSE GHANA
EGUSI STEW WITH SALMON, PRAWNS AND EBA – TROPICAL SUN
NIGERIAN EGUSI SOUP RECIPE - AFRICAN FOOD NETWORK
NIGERIAN EGUSI SOUP (YORUBA LUMPY STYLE) – TOP NIGERIAN FOOD BLOG
EGUSI STEW (PALAVA SAUCE) – JENAE LAWSON
EGUSI RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
VEGAN EGUSI RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE NIGERIAN EGUSI SOUP
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make beef stew with egusi?Heat oil in a skillet and add beef until browned but not cooked. Transfer beef to a dutch over or pot. Cover beef with water, add beef base and stir. Add remaining ingredients except egusi, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Add egusi. Simmer for at least an hour, possibly more. Add water to thin or more egusi to thicken the stew.
How do you make egusi Curry?Add in ground spices (garlic, ginger and onions) then stir for about 2 minutes. This brings out the flavor of the spices. Add in ground egusi (with no added water) and mix well. Keep mixing for about 5 minutes (some egusi will stick to the bottom of the pot - that's okay!)
What is the best way to cook egusi?PER SERVING % DAILY VALUE Heat oil in a skillet and add beef until browned but not cooked. Transfer beef to a dutch over or pot. Cover beef with water, add beef base and stir. Add remaining ingredients except egusi, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Add egusi. Simmer for at least an hour, possibly more.
How do you add onions to an egusi?This will infuse some onion flavor into the Egusi and the Oil in the Egusi will also be activated. Add a little Palm Oil in another Pan (I used part of the Oil I drained from the Egusi) and add the second Onion (diced) and let that cook for a couple of seconds then add the Sauce and also allow that to cook for 5 minutes.