Originated at Green Springs Inn in St. Francisville, LA by Madeline Nevill, this dish has become a favorite nationwide. (From Tony's Seafood in Lousinana website). Need I say more? Yum. ;) Since the garlic cheese roll is hard to find in some areas (mine included) you could substitute Boursin, Alouette or Rondele as they make spreadable flavored fresh cheeses in garlic flavor.
Provided by Mommy Diva
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Melt butter, add onions and flour; stir until smooth.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Add the rest of the seasonings and 1/2 of the cheese roll, and stir until cheese melts.
- Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs and remaining cheese in casserole dish.
- Top with the crumbs and cheese held aside and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve along side fried chicken, salmon, pork chops, you name it and a generous helping of corn bread anything - ENJOY! ;).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 221, Fat 15.1, SaturatedFat 9.2, Cholesterol 39.6, Sodium 273.6, Carbohydrate 16.5, Fiber 5.3, Sugar 3, Protein 9.1
- Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquid. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add evaporated milk and reserved spinach liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick; continue stirring. Add the cheese, Worcestershire, black pepper, celery salt, garlic salt, red pepper, and salt, to taste. Stir until melted. Combine with cooked spinach. This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. This flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in the refrigerator overnight. This may also be frozen.
FRESH SPINACH MADELINE
- Place spinach and water in a microwave-safe steamer. Microwave until spinach is wilted down, about 2 minutes. Drain off liquid and set spinach aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour to create a paste. Season with salt. Pour in half-and-half, whisking continuously until smooth. Add onion, garlic, ancho chile powder, and cayenne, whisking until incorporated. Add spinach.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons habanero-flavored cheese. Stir remaining cheese into the spinach mixture and spoon into a small oval baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn on the oven's broiler and broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 364.4 calories, Carbohydrate 15.5 g, Cholesterol 84.8 mg, Fat 27.6 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 17.4 g, SaturatedFat 17.6 g, Sodium 548.8 mg, Sugar 0.8 g
RIVER ROAD SPINACH MADELINE
First published in 1959 in River Road Recipes, the Junior League of Baton Rouge's community cookbook, spinach Madeline remains a favorite side dish in Southern Louisiana. Thick and creamy with a hint of jalapeno heat, it's most at home on holidays next to turkey, cornbread dressing, and green bean casserole. It's easy to make and easy to multiply for big gatherings. This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in the refrigerator overnight. This may also be frozen.
Provided by Mary Claire Lagroue
Categories Spinach Casserole
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place frozen spinach and water in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 8 minutes. Separate with a fork and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Slowly add evaporated milk and the reserved cooking liquid, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Add processed cheese spread, celery salt, garlic salt, pepper, cayenne, and salt; cook and stir until melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked spinach.
- Stir in cooked spinach and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216.3 calories, Carbohydrate 11.8 g, Cholesterol 46.4 mg, Fat 15.9 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 10.3 g, SaturatedFat 9.9 g, Sodium 1008.9 mg, Sugar 5 g
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - (3.8/5)
Provided by Bigeasy110
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Sauté onions in butter until onions are clear. Add the flour and mix. Chip the jalapeño pepper cheese and to mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until cheese is all melted. Add spinach and mix well. Put in casserole dish and bake until bubbly on sides. at 375 degrees
- Cook spinach according to directions.
- Drain and keep liquid.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown.
- Add flour, stirring while blending.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved spinach liquid and evaporated milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cook until smooth and thick.
- Continue stirring.
- Add pepper, celery salt and cheese.
- Stir some more till melted.
- Combine with cooked spinach.
- Top with buttered bread crumbs if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 243.3, Fat 18.3, SaturatedFat 11.3, Cholesterol 51.7, Sodium 313.6, Carbohydrate 10.2, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 1.4, Protein 11.7
The jalapeños in this American-inspired dish from Good Food reader Pippa Greve give the spinach a lovely warmth
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Side dish
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 mins until soft. Add the mascarpone, then slowly add the spinach liquid, stirring until smooth. Cook for 4-5 mins until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cheddar, jalapeños, celery salt, paprika and spinach. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 40 mins until golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 295 calories, Fat 25 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 7 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 10 grams protein, Sodium 1.35 milligram of sodium
More about "fresh spinach madeline recipes"
10 BEST FRESH SPINACH CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
OUR FAVORITE HEALTHY SPINACH RECIPES
SPINACH MADELINE - GEAUX ASK ALICE!
10 BEST VEGETARIAN SPINACH DINNER RECIPES | YUMMLY
OUR 30 BEST SPINACH RECIPES | SAVEUR
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
CREAMED SPINACH - ONCE UPON A CHEF
RECIPE: SPINACH MADELEINE | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
Servings 4Calories 500 per servingTotal Time 35 mins
- Cook fresh spinach over medium high heat in a large dry non-stick skillet with a pinch of salt until completely wilted, about 4 minutes.
20 BEST SPINACH RECIPES | WHAT TO MAKE WITH FRESH …
SPINACH MADELEINE | ROBERT ST. JOHN
SPINACH MADELINE // THE SPECKLED PALATE
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE • ROUSES SUPERMARKETS
FRESH SPINACH MADELINE | RECIPE | MEAT FREE RECIPES, RECIPES, EASY ...
CLASSIC CREAMED SPINACH - THE STAY AT HOME CHEF
SPINACH MADELEINE | RAISED ON A ROUX
95 WAYS TO USE UP A BAG OF FRESH SPINACH I TASTE OF HOME
SPINACH MADELEINE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE COMMUNITY!
SPINACH MADELEINE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SPINACH MADELEINE | FIRST...YOU HAVE A BEER
SPINACH MADELINE - THE WIMPY VEGETARIAN
MY WAY SPINACH BAKE AND THE ORIGINAL SPINACH MADELINE
RECIPES WITH SPINACH | TASTE OF HOME
KAYE'S SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
SPINACH MADELINE | | NOLA.COM
SPINACH MADELINE | RECIPE | VEGETABLE CASSEROLE RECIPES, VEGGIE ...
QUICK CREAMED SPINACH WITH CREAM CHEESE RECIPE
RECIPE: SPINACH MADELINE - RECIPELINK.COM
SPINACH MADELINE (LOW FODMAP) — IBS GAME CHANGER
HOW TO COOK FRESH SPINACH - JULIA'S ALBUM
SPINACH MADELINE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
LA MADELEINE COPYCAT STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD - LIVELY TABLE
SPINACH MADELEINE | SAVEUR
SPINACH MADELINE | HOW TO MAKE SPINACH MADELINE - YOUTUBE
SPINACH MADELEINE - LOUISIANA COOKIN
EASY CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE - SOUTHERN LIVING
SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
NETCOOKS - SPINACH MADELINE RECIPE
SPINACH MADELINE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
KALE MADELINE - THE SPECKLED PALATE
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH MADELINE | CAJUN COOKING TV
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook spinach Madeline?This spinach Madeline turns out creamy with a slight kick. Place spinach and water in a microwave-safe steamer. Microwave until spinach is wilted down, about 2 minutes. Drain off liquid and set spinach aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour to create a paste.
What is the best way to cook spinach and peppers?1⁄ 3 lb hot monterey jack pepper cheese, cut into small chunks Cook spinach as directed on package; drain; reserve 1/2 cup liquid. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add onion; cook until soft but not brown. Slowly add milk and reserved spinach liquid, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
How do you make a spinach salad without browning?Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add evaporated milk and reserved spinach liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
How to cook spinach Parmesan sauce?Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add onion; cook until soft but not brown. Slowly add milk and reserved spinach liquid, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Stir in garlic salt, celery salt, pepper, Worcestershire and cheese; continue stirring until sauce is smooth. Combine with spinach.