STAR ANISE ICE CREAM
Star anise's licorice-like flavor is what sets this ice cream apart. This version is adapted from the one served at Geordy's restaurant in San Francisco, where the custard is made with all cream, no milk. Time given does not include chilling time for the custard. For the freezing time I'm going by my ice cream machine, yours may be different.
Provided by Annacia
Categories Frozen Desserts
Yield 1 1/2 quarts
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a heavy saucepan combine the milk, the cream, the sugar, and the star anise, bring the mixture just to a boil, and remove the pan from the heat.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, add the cream mixture in a stream, whisking, and pour the mixture back into the pan.
- Cook the custard over moderately low heat, stirring, until it registers 170ºF on a candy thermometer, strain it through a fine sieve set over another bowl, and let it cool completely.
- Stir in the Pernod and freeze the custard in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's instructions.
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM
- In a heavy saucepan combine the milk, the cream, the sugar, and the star anise, bring the mixture just to a boil, and remove the pan from the heat. In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, add the cream mixture in a stream, whisking, and pour the mixture back into the pan. Cook the custard over moderately low heat, stirring, until it registers 170°F. on a candy thermometer, strain it through a fine sieve set over another bowl, and let it cool completely. Stir in the Pernod and freeze the custard in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's instructions.
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the milk, heavy cream, star anise, and vanilla bean to a simmer for a few minutes. Turn off, and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and salt together, long enough to dissolve the sugar.
- Temper hot liquid into egg mixture. Return all back into saucepan. Over low heat stirring all the while until mixture starts to thicken, strain through chinois. Chill immediately over ice bath.
- Churn in a standard ice cream machine.
SPICE ICE CREAM
- Place the vanilla bean, scraped seeds, cinnamon sticks, and star anise (if using) in a saucepan with milk over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover, and remove from heat. Allow to steep for 30 minutes; then strain, discarding solids.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, and whisk until pale yellow and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Return milk to stove, and bring just to a simmer. Slowly pour milk mixture into yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return it to the saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. The custard should retain a line drawn across the back of the spoon with your finger.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and immediately stir in cold cream. Pass through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl set in the ice bath. Stir occasionally until cool. Cover bowl, and place in the refrigerator until well chilled, preferably overnight.
- Pour the custard into an ice-cream maker, and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions, until ice cream is set but not hard.
- Transfer the soft ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze at least 4 hours or up to 1 week.
GAND'S STAR ANISE ICE CREAM
Entered for safe-keeping. Chef Gale Gand of Lake Forest, Illinois serves this with chocolate cake, especially molten chocolate cake. Note that the licorice flavor of anise inspires a love/hate reaction. I, for one, love it! Prep time includes chilling time. Cooking time is guesstimated.
Provided by KateL
Categories Frozen Desserts
Yield 1 quart, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, put half and half, cream, star anise, ground cinnamon, vanilla and cinnamon stick. Heat, whisking occasionally to avoid burning or sticking to the bottom of the pan. DO NOT LET BOIL. When the mixture reaches a fast simmer, turn off the heat and let the flavors infuse for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Still whisking, slowly pour half of the cream mixture in a thin stream to the egg mixture. Then add the egg-cream mixture to the saucepan containing the other half of the cream mixture.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. At 160 degrees, the mixture will give off a puff of steam. When it reaches 180 degrees, it will be thickened and creamy, like eggnog. If you don't have a candy thermometer, test it by dipping a wooden spoon into the mixture. Run your finger down the back of the spoon. If the stripe remains clear, the mixture is ready; if the edges blur, the mixture is not quite thick enough yet.
- When the mixture is ready, quickly remove it from the heat.
- Meanwhile, put 2 handfuls of ice cubes in a large bowl, and add enough cold water to cover. Rest a smaller bowl in the ice water. Pour the cream mixture through a fine sieve into the smaller bowl, removing the vanilla bean pieces and cinnamon stick.
- Chill 3 hours. Then freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. (Don't have an ice cream freezer? After 3 hours, gently stir ice cream and transfer to desired freezer storage containers. Freeze 2-3 hours, or until desired hardness. High fat ice cream will not get rock hard.).
More about "gands star anise ice cream recipes"
ANISE ICE-CREAM RECIPE | DESSERT | THE GUARDIAN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
FIG & ANISE ICE CREAM - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
Cuisine MediterraneanCategory DessertServings 6Calories 260 per serving
ICE CREAM AND STAR ANISE RECIPES (25) - SUPERCOOK
10 BEST STAR ANISE DESSERTS RECIPES | YUMMLY
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM : RECIPES : COOKING CHANNEL RECIPE ...
Cuisine CaribbeanCategory DessertServings 2Total Time 1 hr
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM - THE CULINARY CHASE
User Interaction Count 2Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
CAFE ANISE ICE CREAM | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
5/5 (2)Total Time 4 hrs 30 minsServings 3
ANISE ICE CREAM - FOODS I LIKE - A RECIPE BLOG OF FAVORITES
Cuisine AmericanCategory DessertServings 8Calories 220 per serving
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE | ANISEED ...
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
GANDS CHOCOLATE BERGAMOT PAINT RECIPES
RECIPE: STAR ANISE ICE CREAM AND LEMONGRASS ICE CREAM WITH ...
WORLD BEST BEAN'S RECIPES: GAND'S STAR ANISE ICE CREAM
GAND S STAR ANISE ICE CREAM RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
GAND'S STAR ANISE ICE CREAM RECIPE
JEWISH COOKERY | KOSHER RECIPES | STAR ANISE ICE CREAM
GANDS STAR ANISE ICE CREAM - TFRECIPES.COM
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM: 1990S RECIPES + MENUS : GOURMET.COM ...
STAR ANISE ICE CREAM RECIPE
CHOCOLATE AND FIVE-STAR ANISE ICE CREAM – NOT EATING OUT ...
You'll also love