Italian vegetable stew known as ciambotta (or giambotta) is a wonderful way to celebrate summer produce in a hearty vegetarian meal that can be customized based on what you have on hand.
Provided by Gina Matsoukas
Categories Main Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Add olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven and place over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and eggplant, stir to toss with the onions and garlic and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, zucchini and bell peppers, toss to combine, cover with a lid and let cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid, season to taste with salt and pepper, add the basil and parsley and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve as desired with crusty bread, over rice, with added white beans, etc.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216 calories, Carbohydrate 31 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 0 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 10 grams fat, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 5 grams protein, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, Sodium 65 grams sodium, Sugar 9 grams sugar, TransFat 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams unsaturated fat
- Preheat oven to 425 deg. Spread zucchini and eggplant on a cookie sheet lined with foil, drizzle with 2 T olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in oven 40 minutes, stirring occassionally. While vegetables are roasted, saute the garlic and onion in a large heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat until soft and just starting to turn golden. Add in potatoes and peppers, cook for 5 minutes. Add in tomatoes, breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in wine, broth, herbs, cinnamon and red pepper. Stir in roasted vegetables. Let simmer on medium low heat 25 minutes. Stir in beans. Check seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer another 10 minutes. Serve with fresh grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese.
VEGETABLE STEW (GIAMBOTTA)
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, bay, chopped garlic and onions and let them sweat out while you prepare the rest of the veggies. Work next to the stove and drop as you chop, in order of longest cooking time: potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add tomatoes and stock and cook 5 minutes more, to heat through. Turn heat off and stir in basil.
- Char bread under broiler and rub with cracked garlic then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, top with cheese and pepper and return to the broiler for 30 seconds to brown cheese. Serve cheese whole-grain toast with bowls of vegetable stew.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add all the remaining vegetables, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir well and cover the pan. Let cook on a low flame for about 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove cover and continue to cook vegetables until tender and no cooking liquid remains in the skillet, about 15 minutes more. Adjust seasoning and serve hot, or cool down.
This comes from "The Mafia Cookbook" by Joe Dogs Iannuzzi. It can be served as a side dish as the cookbook suggests or you can pour it over egg noddles and add a generous helping of parmesan for a heartier carb packed main dish.
Provided by BothFex
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and coat pan.
- Add garlic and cook until soft, but not brown.
- Drain liquid from tomatoes and reserve.
- Add tomatoes and oregano to pan and cook 20-30 minutes over moderate heat, stirring occasionally.
- While tomatoes are cooking parboil potatoes and beans separately (I've nuked potatoes in the micro and obtained satisfactory results- it's quicker than boiling).
- Drain cooked (al dente preferably) beans and add them to the tomato mixture.
- Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes and add to sauce.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes (if the mixture needs more moisture or you just prefer this dish saucier you can add some of the reserved liquid at this stage).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 728, Fat 55.3, SaturatedFat 7.8, Sodium 39, Carbohydrate 56.7, Fiber 12.3, Sugar 15.8, Protein 9.3
- In a large casserole combine all the ingredients except the basil and the parlsey. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove and discard the bay leaves and cool. Stir in the basil and parsley. The giambotta can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to one week and reheated before serving.
- Combine corn masa flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add a little water at a time until a firm dough forms. Divide dough into equal pieces and roll between your hands to form small balls. Press dough into 1/4-inch circles.
- Heat a griddle or comal over medium heat. Add dough circles to the hot griddle and cook until light brown, slightly inflated, and cooked on the outsides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pan-fry gorditas in batches, if necessary, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 134.5 calories, Carbohydrate 27.2 g, Fat 1.8 g, Fiber 4.8 g, Protein 3.3 g, SaturatedFat 0.3 g, Sodium 198.7 mg
I don't like stew with a bunch of peppers and tomatoes (or rather, my stomach does not!). But this stew has a lot of interesting textures, even if you leave out the red pepper! It's from the "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites". I also don't like eggplant very much, but it tasted very good in this. It will surprise you. Don't leave out the fennel bulb!
Provided by KinderSensei
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Sweat the garlic, onion and salt in the oil for 5-7 minutes on a low heat in a covered pan. Stir frequently.
- While that is sweating, chop up the vegetables. First add the eggplant, then potatoes, fennel, pepper, zuchinni, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle in the dried basil now, but save the fresh to add at the end if using that.
- Increase heat and simmer for 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 227.3, Fat 3.2, SaturatedFat 0.5, Sodium 198.3, Carbohydrate 47.6, Fiber 12.4, Sugar 11.1, Protein 7
More about "grandmas giambotta recipes"
CIAMBOTTA - SOUTHERN ITALIAN VEGETABLE STEW - ITALIAN …
GIAMBOTTA (GRANDMA LISTA STYLE) – 74 MAIN STREET
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
GIAMBOTTE: SAUSAGE, CHICKEN, PEPPERS, AND POTATOES - AMY HIRSCH
PORK CHOPS GIAMBOTTA RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
SAUSAGE EGGS POTATOES GIAMBOTTA - WHAT'S COOKIN' ITALIAN STYLE …
GIAMBOTTA — PENTAGRAM POTAGER
GIAMBOTTA, A ONE-POT RECIPE FROM MY NEAPOLITAN …
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GIAMBOTTA RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
GRANDPA’S GIAMBOTTA (ITALIAN VEGGIE STEW) WITH DAN PELOSI | AT …
OUR 20 BEST GRANDMA-APPROVED RECIPES OF ALL TIME | ALLRECIPES
100 OF GRANDMA’S ALL-TIME BEST RECIPES
GRANDMA'S RECIPES - GRANDMA'S RECIPE
GIAMBOTTA-GRANDMA'S SUMMER VEGGIE MEAL - VEGETARIAN - HEALTH …
HOMEMADE RECIPES - MANGIALICIOUS
GRANDMA'S GIAMBOTTA | RECIPE | CANNED PLUMS, GIAMBOTTA …
THIS GIAMBOTTA RECIPE WILL HELP YOU MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR
GIAMBOTTA (SOUTHERN ITALIAN VEGETABLE STEW) | PETA
GRANDMA'S GIAMBOTTA | RECIPE | GIAMBOTTA RECIPE, RECIPES, …
ITALIAN GRANDMA MAKES CIAMBOTTA (VEGETABLE STEW)
CIAMBOTTA | LINDA'S ITALIAN TABLE
VEGETABLE GIAMBOTTA – MAMAMANCINI'S ORIGINAL FAMILY RECIPE
GRANDPA’S GIAMBOTTA (ITALIAN VEGGIE STEW) WITH DAN PELOSI | AT …
RECIPES | GRANDMA'S FROZEN NOODLES
GIAMBOTTA RECIPE - VEGETABLE STEW (GIAMBOTTA) RECIPE | RACHAEL …
GIAMBOTTA RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN - INTERNET COOKING SHOW
GNOCCHI: MY GRANDMA'S RECIPE - ITALIAN KITCHEN CONFESSIONS
GIAMBOTTA RECIPE: TIPS FOR MAKING THE ITALIAN VEGETABLE STEW
GRANDMA'S BEST GOULASH RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
GRANDMA'S GIAMBOTTA | RECIPE IN 2021 | CANNED PLUMS, …
GIAMBOTTA RECIPE: AN ITALIAN VEGETABLE STEW
CIAMBOTTA OR GIAMBOTTA ITALIAN VEGETABLE STEW - YOUR GUARDIAN …
RECIPE: PORK CHOPS ALLA GIAMBOTTA - JOHN FODERA'S TUSCAN VINES
COOKING WITH FOXY GRANDMA: SALSICCIA GIAMBOTTA - YOUTUBE
BEST CIAMBOTTA RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
ITALIAN ZUCCHINI SOUP (GIAMBOTTE) RECIPE - ROCKY MOUNTAIN COOKING
GRANDMA'S EASY GOULASH RECIPE - FAMILY FRESH MEALS
VEGETABLE CIAMBOTTA (ITALIAN VEGETABLE STEW) - FIT MEAL IDEAS
You'll also love