GREEK PIZZA ON PHYLLO WITH FETA AND TOMATOES
Adapted from a recipe by Joanne Wier, this is an astonishingly wonderful change-of-pace for the pizza heads among us. Rich, but with a distinctly Greek "flava" this beautiful dish will make your evening. Wonderful to serve to company - very pretty, unusual, and TASTY! ADDENDUM: I've tried several great variations on this...using puff pastry instead of phyllo, substituting cream cheese for the mozzarella, adding some cilantro pesto to the cheese combo, and topping with sauteed onions, zucchini, yellow squash, and using chopped GREEN olives instead of black. Scrumptious! Use your imagination and run amok!
Provided by Pellerin
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter/oil on medium/low heat in small saucepan. Cover phyllo with barely dampened kitchen towel (not paper).
- In a bowl, combine cheeses, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Brush baking sheet with oil/butter mixture. Place 1 sheet phyllo in center. Brush with butter-oil. Add 2nd sheet of phyllo, brush with oil. Add 3rd sheet, but do NOT brush with oil. Just sprinkle a LITTLE (i.e. ~2 TBS) of the cheese mixture on top. Add another layer of phyllo. Repeat, until all phyllo is used.
- Brush top layer with butter/oil. Sprinkle with ½ of the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with the scallions, then the tomatoes, evenly over the top of the pizza, leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Season the tomatoes with salt, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Trim the edges if desired.
- Bake on the TOP shelf of the oven until cheese is melted and phyllo is golden and crisp on the edges; 20-30 minutes. Good with a Pinôt Gris, Pinôt Grigio. Sangiovese or Chianti wine.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 716, Fat 51.4, SaturatedFat 24.1, Cholesterol 111.9, Sodium 1401.2, Carbohydrate 36, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 3.4, Protein 27.9
GREEK PIZZA WITH PHYLLO CRUST
A coworker of my husband's brought this in one day, and DH thought it looked and sounded good. The recipe is from Mollie Katzen Online. It can be made ahead and refrigerated until baking.
Provided by Halcyon Eve
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions and salt and saute until onion is tender.
- Add the basil, oregano, and spinach and stir-fry over med-high heat until spinach is limp and nearly all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Layer the leaves of phyllo 1-2 at a time, spraying each with cooking spray and keeping the unused leaves covered with a cloth to prevent them from drying out, until you have a stack of 10 leaves.
- Cut phyllo into 6-8 squares. Sprinkle phyllo squares with mozzarella.
- With a slotted spoon, place spinach mixture over mozzarella, draining off any remaining liquid. Spread over the mozzarella, leaving a small border of phyllo at edges.
- Arrange tomato slices over spinach mixture. Add olives and top with feta.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-30 minutes, until phyllo is golden and crispy and cheese is melted. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
GREEK PHYLLO PIZZA
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add spinach and sauté until all excess moisture has evaporated.
- Add basil, oregano, lemon juice and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Cool slightly.
- Prepare Phyllo pizza crust: Use 10 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter, margarine, oil or vegetable spray.
- Use 1/4 cup butter.
- Repeat this step.
- Place length of phyllo across width of greased 15 x 10 x 1 cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Overlap each set of 10 buttered phyllo sheets 5 inches at center.
- Roll overlapping phyllo onto itself on cookie sheet to form pizza crust.
- Brush top layer with melted butter or olive oil and top with your favorite ingredients.
- Spread spinach mixture on prepared phyllo sheets.
- Top spinach with 1/2 of mozzarella.
- Dredge tomatoes in bread crumbs and arrange on top of mozzarella.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and feta cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
PHYLLO DOUGH PIZZA
- Butter a baking sheet with a brush. Lay down one layer of dough and brush with butter. Repeat process until all dough is layered and buttered. Fold in sides of rectangle to form a crust. Top with onions, olives, tomatoes and cheese. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until phyllo crust is golden brown.
KREATOPITA (GREEK MEAT PIE USING PHYLLO PASTRY)
This is a yummy meat pie often enjoyed in Greece. Of course, every household has their own version - this one's mine. The mushrooms are not traditional at all. They're my way of making the pie even tastier and ensuring my kids enjoy a vegetable they wouldn't otherwise eat. This could be served either as a snack (as eaten as street food here in Greece) or as a main, accompanied by a nice salad. Great to bring along, fully-baked, to a picnic or potluck.
Provided by evelynathens
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large saucepan, coat bottom of pan with olive oil and add ground beef (and mushrooms, if using). Cook, breaking up meat with back of spoon, and stirring often until meat and mushrooms are browned and liquid emitted has evaporated (make sure all the liquid has evaporated - you don't want a soggy pita!).
- Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano and cinnamon and cook until liquid emitted from onions has evaporated, too.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times to bring hot filling up (to cool faster).
- Add cheese, parsley and eggs to meat filling and combine thoroughly to blend. Taste filling and adjust seasoning to suit your taste.
- In a 15 x 10 inch pan (or large pan), layer half the phyllo sheets, brushing each one generously with olive oil (use a pastry brush), before adding the next sheet of pastry.
- Pour the meat filling into the phyllo-lined pan.
- Layer the remaining phyllo sheets in the same way, over the filling, brushing each one generously with olive oil before adding the next sheet of pastry. When you reach the last sheet (the top one), brush this one slightly more generously than the rest, tuck in any overhang you have neatly into the pie and score pie, lengthwise, into 4, using the tip of a small, sharp knife and making sure you don't cut all the way through the bottom of the pastry (just the top crust and slightly into the filling).
- Position baking rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 190°C (375°F).
- Bring your pan next to the sink and run the cold water tap. Wet the tips of your fingers and shake the water onto the pastry. Do this a few times to ensure droplets of water fall all over the pastry (this ensures a crisp crust upon baking).
- Bake pie for approximately one hour, until you achieve a deep golden crust. If you have a flat-bottomed oven (no element), do put your pan on the floor of the oven for the last 20 minutes or so to ensure an even crisper bottom crust.
- The pita is best slightly warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 227.3, Fat 11.4, SaturatedFat 4.5, Cholesterol 75.6, Sodium 259.4, Carbohydrate 15.5, Fiber 1, Sugar 1, Protein 14.6
Save yourself a trip to Greece and serve this appetizer pizza at your next party. To ensure a crisp and flaky crust, before assembling the pizza, drain the tomato slices on a paper towel to soak up any extra moisture. -Claire Torrice, Oswego, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 18 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Transfer to a small bowl; add oil and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Add spinach; saute until wilted. Add the lemon juice, basil and oregano; set aside. , Brush a 13x9-in. baking dish with butter mixture. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough in baking dish; brush lightly with butter mixture. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat layers with remaining phyllo, brushing each layer. , Top with the spinach mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Coat both sides of tomato slices with bread crumbs; arrange over top. Bake at 375° until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 198 calories, Fat 9g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 17mg cholesterol, Sodium 310mg sodium, Carbohydrate 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). If using a pizza stone, place in oven to preheat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet; cook and stir onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and continue to cook and stir until all liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and season with basil, lemon juice, oregano, and pepper. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Unroll pizza dough on preheated pizza stone or a large baking sheet and brush with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread spinach mixture over dough, leaving a small border at the edge of the pizza crust. Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Press tomato slices into seasoned bread crumbs until coated; arrange tomatoes over pizza. Spread remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and feta cheese over tomatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven until pizza crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 609.4 calories, Carbohydrate 63.1 g, Cholesterol 61.3 mg, Fat 26.2 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 30 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Sodium 1531.2 mg, Sugar 10 g
GREEK-STYLE SPINACH PIZZA WITH PHYLLO CRUST
If you love phyllo and spinach, then this is one you have to try! Keep the phyllo stacked between two sheets of wax paper, and covered with a damp tea towel until ready to use to keep from drying out. You can use frozen chopped spinach in place of fresh if desired. The amounts listed for the feta and olives are only a guidline, you can use as much as desired.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Cook the spinach in a pot of salted water for about 2-3 minutes; drain in a colinder, then run under cold water to cool.
- Squeeze out any moisture using hands.
- Set oven to 400 degrees (IMPORTANT, use middle oven rack).
- Brush a large baking sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Put one sheet of the phyllo on the buttered baking sheet, then brush the top of the sheet with about 1 tablespoon butter (you will not need more than 7 tablespoons butter since you brushing 7 sheets of phyllo, use the butter sparingly as the phyllo will be too greasy, you might even want to use less than the 7 tablespoons!).
- Sprinkle the buttered phyllo with 2 scant tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and press firmly so that it adheres to the bottom piece of phyllo.
- Brush the sheet with melted butter, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Layer the remaining phyllo in the same manner ending with a sheet of phyllo.
- Brush the top sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Bake for about 3-5 minutes.
- For the topping; sprinkle the spinach evenly over the crust, leaving about 1-inch border all around.
- Then season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Sprinkle the sliced red onion over the spinach, then sprinkle with kalamata olives.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the phyllo pizza for about 15 minutes or until the feta is melted.
- Slice into squares using a pizza wheel.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 407.6, Fat 32.9, SaturatedFat 14.9, Cholesterol 61.1, Sodium 801.4, Carbohydrate 19.2, Fiber 3.6, Sugar 1.9, Protein 11.7
SPINACH PHYLLO PIZZA
- In a kettle cook the spinach in the water clinging to the leaves, covered, over moderate heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is just wilted, refresh it under cold water, and let it drain well in a colander while making the phyllo crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Brush a baking sheet lightly with some of the butter, put 1 sheet of the phyllo on the butter, the brush it lightly withy some of the remaining butter. Sprinkle the phyllo with 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan, put another sheet of the phyllo on top, and press it firmly so that it adheres to the bottom layer. Butter, sprinkle, and layer the remaining phyllo in the same manner, ending with a sheet of phyllo. Brush the top sheet lightly with the remaining butter and bake the crust in the middle of the oven for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the spinach evenly on the crust, leaving a 1-inch border all around, crumble the mint over it, and season the spinach with salt and pepper. Scatter the onion over the spinach, sprinkle the pizza with the Feta, and drizzle it with the oil. Bake the pizza in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, and with a pizza wheel or sharp knife cut it into squares.
More about "greek phyllo pizza recipes"
PHYLLO DOUGH GREEK FLATBREAD PIZZA | COUPLE IN THE KITCHEN
5/5 (2)Total Time 25 minsCategory EntreesCalories 360 per serving
- Start by removing one roll of Athens Phyllo Dough from the freezer to thaw, following thawing instructions on the package.
- Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out.
10 BEST PHYLLO DOUGH PIZZA RECIPES | YUMMLY
PHYLLO PASTRY PIZZA RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
GREEK VEGETARIAN PHYLLO PIZZA - FOOD MEANDERINGS | RECIPE ...
10 BEST GREEK DESSERTS PHYLLO DOUGH RECIPES | YUMMLY
25 EASY PHYLLO DOUGH RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
MEDITERRANEAN PHYLLO PIZZA CAPRESE – A GOURMET FOOD BLOG
GREEK VEGGIE PHYLLO PIZZA - POTLUCK AT OH MY VEGGIES
GREEK-STYLE SPINACH PIZZA WITH PHYLLO CRUST RECIPE | EAT ...
HOMEMADE FETA CHEESE PIZZA RECIPE - MY GREEK DISH
ATHENS FOODS | GREEK PHYLLO FLATBREAD PIZZA RECIPE ...
PHYLLO PIZZA GREEK STYLE | STONYFIELD RECIPES
GREEK SPINACH PHYLLO PIZZA - ATHENS FOODS
GREEK FETA CHEESE PIE (TIROPITA) WITH PHYLLO - VICKI'S ...
GREEK VEGETARIAN PHYLLO PIZZA | RECIPELION.COM
LEARN THE SECRETS OF PHYLLO DOUGH IN GREEK COOKING ...
PHYLLO PIZZA WITH CHICKEN - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
EASY HOMEMADE PHYLLO DOUGH RECIPE FOR ... - MY GREEK DISH
GREEK VEGETARIAN FILO PASTRY PIZZA -FOOD MEANDERINGS
WORLD BEST EUROPEAN COOKING RECIPES : GREEK PHYLLO PIZZA
COUPLE IN THE KITCHEN: PHYLLO DOUGH GREEK FLATBREAD PIZZA ...
BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING PHYLLO PASTRIES & PIES
26 SUPER SIMPLE PHYLLO DOUGH RECIPES – THE KITCHEN COMMUNITY
EASY GREEK PHYLLO PIE (VIDEO) - TETI'S FLAKES
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE - THE GREEK FOODIE
GREEK PHYLLO PIZZA - PLAIN.RECIPES
TIROPITA GREEK CHEESE PIES WITH PHYLLO | RUSTIC FAMILY RECIPES
18 SAVORY PHYLLO DOUGH RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
GREEK PIZZA RECIPE - YUMMY HEALTHY EASY
GREEK PIZZA - KRINOS.COM
TRADITIONAL ZUCCHINI PIE RECIPE WITH FETA CHEESE (GREEK ...
PHYLLO PIZZA WITH FETA, BASIL, AND TOMATOES RECIPE
SPINACH AND FETA TRIANGLES | VANILLA AND BEAN
GREEK-STYLE PIZZA | READY SET EAT
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #main-dish #greek #oven #european #pizza #dietary #equipment
Flaky Greek Phyllo Pizza—a savory pie with a stuffed crust and vegan options for Lent!57 views-13:04
Kotopita: Greek Style Chicken in Phyllo Pie113K views-16:24
How to make THE BEST Greek Spinach Pie / SPANAKOPITA1.5M views-11:56
Spanakopita - Greek Spinach Pie259K views-18:46
Spinach Pie (VEGAN) with Homemade Phyllo: Spanakopita Horiatiki8.2K views-10:56
Greek Phyllo Pastry Sheets for Savoury Pies ver.142K views-14:45
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make phyllo dough pizza crust?The phyllo dough pizza crust is made by layering sheet after sheet of Athens phyllo dough brushed with olive oil. For additional flavor, consider adding herbs or cheese between the layers!
What is Greek phyllo dough?Thin, flaky, buttery sheets of dough that bake up into magnificent desserts and savory sensations. And Greek cooks, of course, are masters with the phyllo dough (or filo dough, if you prefer).
What is a Greek pizza crust?Our Greek pizza crust recipe required zero kneading and made a minimal mess, thanks to phyllo. The phyllo dough pizza crust is made by layering sheet after sheet of Athens phyllo dough brushed with olive oil. For additional flavor, consider adding herbs or cheese between the layers!
How do you cook phyllo dough in the oven?Preheat your grill or oven to 375 degrees. Spritz a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Lay down a sheet of phyllo dough, lightly spritz with olive oil, then top with another sheet of phyllo dough. Repeat this with 16 sheets of phyllo dough.