GRILLED OYSTERS WITH HOT-SAUCE BUTTER
Oysters cook quickly on a hot grill, the meat poaching in a bubbling compound butter flavored with a vinegar-rich hot sauce, garlic and lemon zest. Ideally, you can assign someone else the job of shucking and focus on the grill, making sure the oysters don't stay on it much longer than 2 or 3 minutes, so the meat is still plump and juicy. If you're working on your own, open the oysters in advance and handle them carefully, so as not to spill the liquor inside the shells, which combines with the melted butter to create a delicious, briny flavor. To make a whole meal out of them, serve them with some grilled bread and a simple salad.
Provided by Tejal Rao
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a food processor, combine butter, hot sauce, garlic, lemon zest and anchovy, and pulse until there are no streaks of hot sauce and the butter is a uniform shade of pale pink. (If you don't have a food processor, leave the butter out until it's very soft, then beat the ingredients together with a spoon.) Scrape the mixture into a small bowl, and set aside in the fridge.
- Put the oysters in a large bowl in the sink, and scrub off any sand or grit. Rinse well, drain and refrigerate until you're ready to shuck. To shuck: Grip an oyster with a folded dishtowel so the shell is cupped side down, hinge side facing toward you. Push the tip of the oyster knife into the hinge, and twist so it cracks open. Make sure the knife is clean of shell and grit, then use it to release the top shell, and slide it under the oyster meat to release it from the bottom shell. Repeat with remaining oysters, discarding any that are already open or that have a bad smell.
- Build a fire in your charcoal grill, or set a gas grill to high. Gently crumple a sheet of aluminum foil so its grooves can support the open oysters and keep them from spilling, and set it on the grate. Place 12 oysters on the foil, and top each with approximately ½ teaspoon of butter; use more for especially large oysters, but less for small ones. The idea is to cover the oyster with butter, but not to overfill the shell. Cover the grill, and cook until the butter and oyster juices are bubbling but the oyster is still plump, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer hot oysters to a platter lined with another piece of foil that will keep the shells upright, and serve immediately with a bottle of hot sauce and lemon wedges at the table. Repeat with remaining oysters.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH LEMON DILL BUTTER
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill. If using charcoal, make sure you have a full layer of hot coals on the grate.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, garlic, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the oysters (oyster-side up!) on a platter. With two small spoons, place a small dollop (about 1 teaspoon) of the herbed butter on each oyster. Place lightly crinkled sheets of aluminum foil loosely on the grill grates. Place the oysters on the foil, making sure they're level so the butter doesn't spill out. (The foil keeps the oyster shells from tipping over.) Cover the grill with the lid, making sure the vents are open, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the butter comes to a simmer and the oysters are just heated through. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH BUTTER AND WINE
Garlic, butter, a hot grill and fresh from the market oysters! Nothing starts a back yard cocktail party any better, well except for nicely chilled Chardonnay:)
Provided by Sue Adame
Categories Seafood Appetizers
Number Of Ingredients 6
- 1. Prepare charcoal grill to med-high heat. Wash Oysters
- 2. Put oysters on hot grill for approx 5 minutes or until oyster opens. CAREFULLY remove top shell, keeping the juices
- 3. Mix the chardonnay, butter, the juice of the lemon and garlic. Pour evenly amongst the oysters. Sprinkle with Parmesan and grill for an additional 5 minutes.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH FENNEL BUTTER
- Prepare and light a grill or preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, blend together the butter, ground fennel seeds, shallots, fennel bulb, fennel greens, pepper and salt.
- Arrange the oysters on the grill or oven rack, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until they start hissing and begin to open.
- Using an oyster knife, pry each oyster open at the hinge, loosen the oyster and discard the flat shell. Top each oyster with 1/2 teaspoon of the fennel butter. Return to grill and cook until butter is melted and hot.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH LEMONY GARLIC-HERB BUTTER
Garlic, lemon, herbs and butter form a classic European pairing that is perfectly at home spooned into a hot grilled oyster, but if that's not your style, try out these recipes for Buttery Soy-Sake Glaze or Harissa-Parmesan Butter - or, better yet, make all three. Any leftover flavored butter and sauces are excellent melted over grilled vegetables, such as asparagus or zucchini, or over grilled chicken, fish or even steak, and they can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks or in the freezer for several months. When shopping for oysters, look for specimens with deeply cupped bottom shells in order to help retain their natural liquor and provide ample space for the flavored butter.
Provided by J. Kenji López-Alt
Categories dinner, seafood, appetizer, side dish
Yield 24 oysters
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Ignite a full chimney of coals and spread out under one side of the grill once they are fully covered in gray ash, or heat half the burners of a gas grill to high. Cover and let the grill heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut off a sheet of aluminum foil twice the length of a 13-by-18-inch rimmed baking sheet. Crumple it up so that it fits into the baking sheet. The crumpled foil should be able to support the cupped side of the oysters without allowing them to tip over.
- Prepare the garlic-herb butter: In a food processor, combine the butter, parsley, basil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, a large pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Process until the herbs are finely chopped and there are no large chunks of butter remaining, about 30 seconds total, stopping to scrape down the sides of the processor with a rubber spatula a few times as needed. Transfer the mixture to a small, oven-safe saucepan.
- Using tongs, arrange the oysters over the hot side of the grill, placing them with the cupped sides down, doing your best to set them in the grates so that oyster juices don't pour out of the cups as they open. Cover and cook, checking on them every minute or so, and transferring any oysters that have begun to gape open to the foil-lined baking sheet. After a total of 4 minutes, transfer any remaining oysters to the foil whether they have opened or not. Place the saucepan on the cooler side of the grill.
- As soon as the oysters are cool enough to handle, pry off the top shells with a butter knife or oyster knife, severing through the muscle that holds the oyster to the shell and retaining as much juice in the shell as possible. For oysters that aren't already gaping open, the easiest way to pry off the lids is by inserting the tip of the knife into the joint and firmly twisting it until the joint releases.
- Spoon a generous teaspoon of the garlic-herb butter (which should be fully melted by now) into each oyster, then return the oysters directly onto the grates on the hot side of the grill. Cook, uncovered, until the sauce mixture is bubbling hot, about 1 minute. Return the oysters to the foil-lined baking sheet and serve immediately.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH LEMON BUTTER
This is a simple version of what they call an Oyster Roast in the Carolina low country. You just put some nice plump oysters over a hot fire and when they pop open, you spoon over a little lemon butter and serve them immediately. A friend of mine, Tim Gilchrist, invented a special tool he calls a "Great Grate" which holds the oysters upright and allows you to pick up the grate instead of the individual oysters. It's really a very special tool. They are made in various sizes that can hold 6 to 30 oysters. The grate can also be used for clams. Great Grates can be purchased on line at www.greatgrate.com or by calling Great Grate at 877-768-5766. You can use any medium to large plump oysters for this recipe, but I like to use wild oysters like blue points; fancy half-shell oysters are expensive and some of their nuances are lost in the cooking. For equipment you will need a grill, grill brush and a pair of long tongs. The "Great Grate" is optional, but makes the job much easier. You will also need a 1-quart saucepan, a wooden spoon, and a whisk to make the sauce.
Provided by Food Network
Yield Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat grill or Great Grate over medium heat.
- Scrub and rinse the oysters. Keep refrigerated until ready to grill.
- To make the sauce: Pour the cream into a 1-quart saucepan and cook over low heat, whisking occasionally to prevent the cream from boiling over, until the volume is reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and add the butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking constantly, until the sauce is shiny, emulsified, and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the lemon juice and simmer briefly. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the chervil or parsley and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.
- Set up the oysters on the grill with the cup side down (and flat side up) or place them directly on the grill in the same fashion. Cook the oysters without turning them.
- As soon as the oysters pop open, after 8 to 10 minutes, transfer them carefully with tongs to a platter (or plates) lined with a bed rock salt. If you are using a Great Grate, this won't be necessary. Use the tongs to pry off the top shells. Spoon 1 teaspoon sauce over each oyster and serve immediately.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH COMPOUND BROWN BUTTER
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer, swirling occasionally, until it turns a nutty, golden brown and dark-brown bits form on bottom of pan, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add onion and zest. Let cool slightly; stir in parsley, chives, and lemon juice. Keep warm until ready to serve, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 5 days. Remelt over low heat or on grill before serving.
- Preheat grill for direct-heat cooking. Place oysters on grate in a single layer, curved-sides down. Cook, uncovered, just until shells open slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. (Or place on a rimmed baking sheet and put under the broiler until they pop open, 3 to 5 minutes.) Carefully transfer to a platter with tongs (don't let oyster liquor spill). When cool enough to handle, remove top shells. Spoon 1 teaspoon butter mixture into each; serve.
More about "grilled oysters with butter and wine recipes"
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH WHITE WINE BUTTER SAUCE - VINDULGE
2020-01-10 · This grilled oyster recipe highlights what oysters are best for, grilling, and a simple butter sauce with a secret ingredient, white wine. Grilled Oysters . We all know raw oysters can be absolutely incredible, and need very little to jazz them up. A squeeze of lemon, or a fresh herb mignonette will do. But I’m not gonna lie, grilled oysters …
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH PARSLEY AND GARLIC BUTTER RECIPE ...
2017-02-13 · Mix together the butter, parsley, white wine, garlic, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Lay out a large …
10 BEST GRILLED OYSTERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
2021-07-20 · Grilled Oysters with Tabasco-Leek Butter Food and Wine salt, Tabasco, leek, fresh lemon juice, oysters, unsalted butter and 3 more Grilled Oysters with …
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH GARLIC PARMESAN BUTTER | SOUTHERN KITCHEN
Season to taste with salt and pepper. When the grill is hot, place 1 tablespoon of the garlic butter on top of each oyster, then top with the remaining cheese. Place the oysters directly on the grill grates, shell-side down, and close the lid. Cook until the cheese has melted and edges of oysters …
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH GARLIC BUTTER - OLIVEMAGAZINE
2017-06-21 · Divide the garlic butter between the four oysters and cook under the grill for 4-5 minutes, until bubbling and lightly golden. Step 5 Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes, …
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH SPICY TARRAGON BUTTER RECIPE - BOBBY ...
2013-12-07 · Place the oysters on the hot grill, flat-side up. Cover the grill and cook until the oysters open, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the oysters to a platter, trying to keep the liquor inside....
- Light a grill. In a food processor, pulse the butter with the tarragon, hot sauce, salt and pepper until blended. Transfer the tarragon butter to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll it into a 2-inch-thick log. Refrigerate the butter until slightly firm, about 15 minutes. Slice the butter into 36 pats.
- Place the oysters on the hot grill, flat-side up. Cover the grill and cook until the oysters open, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the oysters to a platter, trying to keep the liquor inside. Quickly remove the top shells and loosen the oysters from the bottom shells. Top each oyster with a pat of tarragon butter and return the oysters to the grill. Cover the grill and cook until the butter is mostly melted and the oysters are hot, about 1 minute. Serve right away.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH TABASCO-LEEK BUTTER RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
2013-12-07 · Light a grill. Place a dollop of leek butter on each oyster. Grill the oysters over high heat until just cooked through and the butter is melted, about 1 minute.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, 8 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the garlic, lemon juice and Tabasco. Soften the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and combine thoroughly with the leek mixture. Season with salt.
- Light a grill. Place a dollop of leek butter on each oyster. Grill the oysters over high heat until just cooked through and the butter is melted, about 1 minute. Serve right away.
BARELY GRILLED OYSTERS WITH SHERRIED GARLIC BUTTER RECIPE ...
2019-12-04 · Arrange oysters on a rimmed baking sheet; top each oyster with a scant 1 teaspoon butter mixture. Place oysters on unoiled grates. Grill, covered, just until oyster juices begin to bubble...
- Open bottom vent of a charcoal grill completely. Light charcoal chimney starter filled with briquettes. When briquettes are covered with gray ash, pour them onto bottom grate of grill. Adjust vents as needed to maintain an internal temperature of 400°F to 450°F. Place top grate on grill. (If using a gas grill, preheat to medium-high [400°F to 450°F].)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a small skillet over medium-high. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Carefully add sherry and vinegar; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter, stirring until butter melts. Stir in parsley.
- Arrange oysters on a rimmed baking sheet; top each oyster with a scant 1 teaspoon butter mixture. Place oysters on unoiled grates. Grill, covered, just until oyster juices begin to bubble vigorously, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm with parsley and lemon.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH GARLIC BUTTER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
2018-05-25 · Preheat grill to high (450°F to 500°F). Stir together butter, parsley, horseradish, garlic, Worcestershire, zest, salt, paprika, and hot sauce in a bowl until well blended. Place about 2 teaspoons butter mixture in each oyster. Arrange oysters in a single layer on oiled grates, keeping oysters …
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH GARLIC-HERB BUTTER RECIPE | EATINGWELL
2019-03-05 · Heat butter and garlic in a small saucepan until melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, chives, lemon zest and juice, pepper and salt until well combined. Step 3 Grill oysters, cupped-side down, until they pop open and the meat is firm, about 5 minutes.
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH CHORIZO BUTTER RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
2013-12-07 · Place the oysters on the grill, flat side up. Grill over high heat until the shells open slightly. Carefully transfer to a platter and, using kitchen gloves or a mitt, remove the top shell. Spoon...
B.C. RECIPE: GRILLED FANNY BAY OYSTERS WITH CREOLE BUTTER ...
17 hours ago · Shuck your oysters fresh and place them on a baking sheet, use crumpled foil or rock salt to keep them from tipping over on the pan. Spoon the butter on …
THE BEST GRILLED OYSTER SAUCES - THRILLIST RECIPES
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH SPICED TEQUILA BUTTER RECIPE - BLAINE ...
2013-12-07 · Light a grill. Line a platter with rock salt. Grill the oysters, flat side up, over high heat until they open, 1 to 2 minutes. Discard the flat top shell and place the oysters on the rock salt ...
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH TWISTED BUTTER BACON DIJON GREEN ...
Place oysters on grill near, but not directly over, coals. Top each oyster with 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce and 1 teaspoon butter mixture. Cook until oysters start to ruffle around the edges and juice is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle oysters with bacon and serve.
See details »
EASY, COMFORTING OYSTER STEW RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
2021-08-05 · Grandpa's Oyster Stew. overhead shot oyster stew with spoon. Credit: Alymade. View Recipe. this link opens in a new tab. This 5-star oyster stew recipe is equipped with shallots, dry sherry, and sweet paprika. Brown butter adds a wonderful depth that's even better when paired with fresh parsley and oyster crackers.
See details »
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH BUTTER - SCOTTISH SHELLFISH
Divide the butter mixture between the shell and place under the grill for 3-4 minutes. Don't know how to shuck? If you don’t know how to shuck an oyster start by placing the closed oysters on the baking tray with the salt as above. Ensure you place the oysters with the flat side of the shell facing upwards. Place under the pre-heated grill ...
See details »
SPICY BUTTER AND HERB BAKED OYSTERS | OLIVE & MANGO
2021-08-04 · Spoon 2 tsp. butter mixture into each oyster; grill, uncovered, 7 minutes or until edges curl.* Broiling Instructions: Preheat broiler with oven rack 3 inches from heat. Prepare recipe as directed, placing oysters in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan. Broil 4 minutes or until edges curl and butter …
See details »
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH PARSLEY AND GARLIC BUTTER - WINE BUTLER
2021-07-30 · Directions Special equipment: an oyster knife Mix together the butter, parsley, white wine, garlic, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap over a work surface and mound the butter mixture in the centre.
See details »
GRILLED OYSTERS WITH BUTTER SAUCE (HUîTRES GRILLéES AU ...
2019-03-18 · Instructions. Preheat a grill. Put shallot and wine into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, 6–8 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in butter…
See details »
CHAR GRILLED OYSTERS WITH BUTTER AND WINE - AMAZING HAMBURGER
2021-04-06 · Combine the butter, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs (reserving 1/2 cup for later), garlic, parsley, and white wine in a bowl and use the back of a spoon or a fork to knead the butter until all the ingredients are mixed evenly through the butter.: Who wants a heaping spoonful of that? OK, but you will in a bit! Now let’s shuck our oysters.
See details »