GREEN MASALA CHICKEN
One of the first things I learned about Dr. Jyotsna Mhatre, my mother-in-law and a psychiatrist from Mumbai who moved to the United States in 1974, was that she is an astonishingly good cook. The first time I went to her house, she put out a giant platter of herbaceous lamb kebabs with chutneys for dipping. The platter was meant to be overgenerous and welcoming, but my cousin and I gobbled up every single bite. Dr. Mhatre, whom I call Aai (Marathi for mother), came up with this quick, saucy stir-fry inspired by the bright flavors of kharouni, a sour-spicy-sweet shrimp and unripe mango dish she grew up eating. Many Indian American home cooks use jarred ginger and garlic pastes because they're convenient, and they incorporate nicely for a smooth sauce. You can find them, as well the chutneys called for here, at any South Asian market, as well as online. Marinating tenderizes the chicken and rounds out the flavors, but it's entirely optional. Aai sometimes swaps in peeled shrimp for the chicken, and tofu or chickpeas work well as vegetarian options.
Provided by Sarah DiGregorio
Categories poultry, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, chutneys, garlic and ginger pastes, and yogurt. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Proceed right away, or cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to a large, 12-inch lidded skillet. Warm the oil, uncovered, over high heat until shimmering, then decrease the heat to medium-high and add the chopped onion and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, put the lid on the skillet and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion has gone from translucent to lightly golden, shrunken and soft.
- Return the heat to medium-high, scrape in the chicken along with all the marinade, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Put the lid back on, and cook for 2 more minutes. Uncover the skillet; the chicken should be just about cooked through and the sauce bubbling and thick. Cook for 2 to 4 more minutes to thicken the sauce (it shouldn't be soupy), but be careful not to overcook the chicken.
- Serve over rice or other whole grains, or with flatbread like chapati on the side.
HARA MASALA MURGH
This is a very flavourful and fresh tasting recipe for chicken with fresh herbs. It is a welcome change from heavy spiced chicken curries. This curry tastes great with plain cooked rice or jeera (cumin) rice.
Provided by SUSMITA
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Thoroughly rub chicken pieces with ginger paste, garlic paste, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Heat the oil in a large deep saucepan or a kadhai over medium-high heat; fry the chicken pieces in the oil on both sides until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the yogurt, almonds, cumin, coriander, and turmeric together in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the chicken and turn to coat; cook another 10 minutes. Stir the mashed chile peppers, cilantro, and mint into the pot; season with salt. Add the water, cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes more. Stir the cream into the sauce just before removing from heat to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 478 calories, Carbohydrate 15 g, Cholesterol 103 mg, Fat 31.3 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 34.2 g, SaturatedFat 9.3 g, Sodium 467 mg, Sugar 8.7 g
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN)
As is the case with every South Asian dish, variations of hara masala murgh abound. In the south of India, fresh desiccated coconut is used in place of yogurt, which is a common ingredient in the northern parts of Pakistan and India. The stalwarts of the dish across regions are copious amounts of fresh cilantro and mint - hence its name hara masala, which means green masala. In Lahore, it is commonly found on restaurant menus, and its peppery herbaceousness is a welcome reprieve from the tomato-onion gravies typical in Punjabi cooking. This version uses thinly sliced chicken breast. It also skips over the tedium of grinding almonds in favor of using almond butter. These two shortcuts mean a quicker cooking time and a creamy texture.
Provided by Zainab Shah
Categories dinner, weeknight, poultry, main course
Yield 2 to 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat ghee or oil in a medium pot or wok for about 30 seconds over medium. Add the onion, peppercorns and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, ginger and garlic, and cook on medium-high, stirring frequently until the chicken is no longer pink or fleshy and the onions have softened, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and stir in the chile powder and salt. Continue cooking for about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup cilantro, 1 cup mint and the Thai green chiles, and stir until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Stir in the yogurt and almond butter. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining ½ cup cilantro and ½ cup mint. Sprinkle with lemon juice and garam masala, if you like.
SINDHI HARA MURGH - CHICKEN IN GREEN CURRY HOMEMADE SINDHI STYLE
The way we cook chicken traditionally at home is this way :) Got this recipe from the "Femina" magazine.
Provided by Charishma_Ramchanda
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry the paste for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the powdered spices, salt and tomatoes.
- Fry till the oil bubbles to the top.
- Add the chicken and cook on low heat till the chicken is tender, usually takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
HARA MURGH (CHICKEN IN GREEN GRAVY)
Chicken prepared in coriander and mint leaves. I got it from site online a long time ago. Serve with rice or Indian bread
Provided by Sana7149
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Soak the cashew nuts in water for 10 minutes and fry the sliced onions until crisp.
- Grind the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, black pepper, cumin seeds and coriander seeds to a fine powder.
- Grind the green chilies, coriander, mint, cashew nuts and fried onions to a fine paste separately. This is your green masala paste.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger-garlic paste, curds and the green masala paste for an hour.
- Heat ghee (clarified butter) in a pan and add the chicken. Fry till the ghee (clarified butter) separates and add turmeric powder and salt as per taste.
- Sauté for 5-6 minutes and then add water. Allow it to cook until the chicken becomes tender.
- Now add the powdered masala, and cream. Simmer till the gravy becomes thick. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 596.6, Fat 37.4, SaturatedFat 11.2, Cholesterol 179.3, Sodium 242.9, Carbohydrate 17.4, Fiber 3.5, Sugar 7.3, Protein 47.5
More about "hara masala murgh green masala chicken recipes"
CHICKEN HARA MASALA (GREEN CHICKEN HANDI) - CHILI TO CHOC
5/5 (3)Total Time 30 minsCategory Main Course
HARIYALI CHICKEN (GREEN CHICKEN) - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
GREEN CHICKEN | HARIYALI CHICKEN RECIPE | MURG HARA …
MURGH MASALA RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
HARIYALI MURGH MASALA RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
MURGH HARA MASALA (GREEN CHICKEN) - THE SPLENDID TABLE
GREEN CHICKEN GRAVY | HARA CHICKEN MASALA RECIPE
MURG HARA MASALA RECIPE - NDTV FOOD
GREEN MASALA CHICKEN PULAO # HARA MURGH PULAO RECIPE #GREEN
HARA MASALA MURGH MUSALLAM RECIPE | RIDA AFTAB | MASALA TV
HARA MASALA MURGH | RECIPESTY
FOOD PARADISE: HARA MASALA MURGH
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN) - BANYAN BRANCHES
CHICKEN HARA MASALA | MURG HARIYALI | GREEN CHICKEN CURRY IN …
HARIYALI MURGH MASALA(CHICKEN IN GREEN GRAVY) - MY CULINARY …
HARA CHICKEN MASALA / GREEN CHICKEN GRAVY / HARIYALI CHICKEN
GREEN CHICKEN RECIPE | HARIYALI MURG | HARA MASALA CHICKEN …
HARA MURGH MASALA CHICKEN CURRY – HAALA'S DASTARKHAAN
RESTAURANT STYLE GREEN MASALA CHICKEN- RECIPES 'R' SIMPLE
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN) RECIPE - RECIPE CLOUD …
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN) | RECIPE CART
MURGH MASALA (CHICKEN MASALA) - MISSION FOOD ADVENTURE
MURGH HARA MASALA (GREEN CHICKEN) | BWTRIBBLE.COM - LOC
CHICKEN HARA MASALA RECIPE | RIDA AFTAB | MASALA TV
HARA MASALA MURGH RECIPE BY SANA TUNGEKAR AT BETTERBUTTER
HARA MASALA CHICKEN BIRYANI- GREEN MASALA ... - KALI MIRCH - BY SMITA
CHICKEN WITH MASALA SAUCE - THESUPERHEALTHYFOOD
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN) RECIPE - NYT COOKING
GREEN CHICKEN MASALA RECIPE - VIKRAM SUNDERAM | FOOD & WINE
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN) RECIPE
MURGH MASALA - SPICY CHICKEN CURRY IN A DELICIOUS CREAMY SAUCE
HARA MASALA GREEN SPICE MIX RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
MURGH MASALA ( CHICKEN MASALA ) - KHIN'S KITCHEN
GREEN CHICKEN (HARA MURGH) RECIPE - COOK WITH HAMARIWEB.COM
GREEN CHICKEN | HARIYALI CHICKEN | HARA MASALA CHICKEN - FATIMA …
CHICKEN HARA MASALA RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SHAZIYA'SRECIPES: HARA MASALA MURG /GREEN CHICKEN CURRY
CARDAMOM CHICKEN (MASALA MURGH) - RASA MALAYSIA
HARA MASALA MURGH (GREEN MASALA CHICKEN) RECIPE
You'll also love