MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
A few years ago, a friend at work shared the recipe for this wonderful soup. With beef, barley and vegetables, it's hearty enough to be a meal. A big steaming bowl with a slice of crusty bread is so satisfying on a cold day. -Lynn Thomas, London, Ontario
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, cook meat in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove meat with a slotted spoon; keep warm and set aside. , Saute onions, carrots and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in broths, water, barley, salt if desired and pepper. , Return meat to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender. Add parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 220 calories, Fat 13g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 43mg cholesterol, Sodium 65mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
VERY EASY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
I love mushroom barley soup and I was originally making one that took about 3 hours to cook. This one is so simple and easy and takes a third of the time. If you like mushroom barley soup, you will really like this. It's perfect for a cold winter night.
Provided by SANDI149
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender and transparent. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and add barley. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until barley is tender, about 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 198 calories, Carbohydrate 24 g, Fat 9.9 g, Fiber 5.8 g, Protein 5.8 g, SaturatedFat 1.4 g, Sodium 27.7 mg, Sugar 3.6 g
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
- Heat dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add oil and tilt pan to coat bottom pan.
- Add yellow onions; cook 8 minutes or until just begining to turn golden.
- Add carrots and cook 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, barley; worcestershire sauce and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in green onions, salt and pepper.
HEALTHY DRIED MUSHROOM AND BARLEY SOUP
If you're looking for a hearty and healthful meal, consider this dried mushroom and barley soup. The barley adds nuttiness, a sprinkle of flour lends viscosity to the broth and the dried mushrooms provide meatiness and umami. If you have fresh mushrooms on hand, you can add them, too. The result is a deliciously nourishing, vegetarian dish that everyone will love.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Place the dried mushrooms in a medium bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let soak until well hydrated and softened, about 15 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the liquid. Roughly chop the porcini and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, cremini mushrooms if using, 1/4 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender and mushrooms are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and the tomato paste to the pot, then continue to cook, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle the flour and thyme evenly over the vegetables and cook, stirring, until flour is dissolved and no longer raw, about 1 minute. Stir in the barley, broth, reserved mushroom liquid and porcini, 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover slightly and cook until the barley is tender and the soup has thickened and reduced slightly, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and ladle into 4 bowls. Dollop with sour cream, sprinkle with parsley and serve with a slice of bread, for dipping.
BEEF MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
Family favorite. It kind of turns into a type of stew as the barley soaks up much of the beef stock. Best part is that it gets better with age, so make plenty and enjoy throughout the week! It's always better the second day, so you might want to cook it one day, refrigerate it overnight, and then cook it again the next day.
Provided by Wendellian
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cook beef stew meat in a large skillet over medium heat until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes; transfer to a large soup pot.
- Heat vegetable oil in the same skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, and carrot in the hot oil until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable mixture to the beef in the pot.
- Pour beef stock into the pot.
- Stir pearl barley into the stock.
- Place soup over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is completely tender, about 2 hours.
- Stir mushrooms through the soup; cook 1 hour more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 554.3 calories, Carbohydrate 43.9 g, Cholesterol 83.5 mg, Fat 25.3 g, Fiber 10.2 g, Protein 37.8 g, SaturatedFat 9.1 g, Sodium 219.7 mg, Sugar 9.6 g
RUSSIAN MUSHROOM AND BARLEY SOUP
Deep hearty flavor. Excellent recipe. Found it on the Internet-said it was adapted from Darra Goldstein's book "A Taste of Russia" Notes: 01/07/08: Barley's cooking time varies(I've had quick barley take 45 minutes to cook)so in step 6, cook until tender enough to your taste. The soup may require more liquid; I now keep a 4th can of consomme on hand to add, along with another 1 1/4 cups of water if it's getting too thick.
Provided by DJM70
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- If using dried mushrooms, soak them in 1/2 cup of hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Slice and set aside, reserving soaking water, too.
- Put the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven,add 2 tablespoons of the butter and melt the butter over medium heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the consomme and water and add the potato, celery, carrots, bay leaves, dill, barley and the reconstituted mushrooms and soaking water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, bring the soup to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes (about an hour if using regular barley), until the barley is tender.
- Clean the fresh mushrooms, cut off and discard woody stem ends, and cut the smaller mushrooms in half and the larger ones into quarters.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan and saute the mushrooms until some liquid has been yielded and no raw color shows.
- Stir mushrooms and liquid into the soup and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Just before serving, put the sour cream in a medium bowl and stir a cup or so of hot soup into it to temper it.
- Stir the diluted sour cream into the soup and serve immediately (don't cook the sour cream), garnished if you like with strips of lemon zest.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 444, Fat 22.9, SaturatedFat 12.8, Cholesterol 47.4, Sodium 912, Carbohydrate 47.1, Fiber 8.8, Sugar 5.4, Protein 16
HEARTY BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Stir in broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. , Add carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. Stir in peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 859mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
HEARTY MUSHROOM-BEEF-BARLEY SOUP
Savor the delicious flavor and aroma of bacon, mushroom and tender pieces of beef chuck steak in this Hearty Mushroom Beef Barley Soup recipe.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield 10 servings, 1 cup each
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Cook and stir bacon in Dutch oven or stockpot on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 Tbsp. drippings from pan.
- Add mushrooms to drippings in pan; cook on medium-high heat 5 min. or until mushrooms start to release their liquid. Simmer on low heat 15 min. or until mushrooms are golden brown and all liquid is cooked off.
- Add dressing, A.1., beef, onions and carrots; cook and stir 5 min. or until onions are crisp-tender, adding garlic for the last minute.
- Stir in water, broth, barley and bacon. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on low heat 50 min. or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 180, Fat 8 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 420 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 5 g, Protein 13 g
More about "hearty mushroom barley soup recipes"
HEARTY MUSHROOM-BARLEY SOUP - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 35 minsServings 16Calories 80 per serving
- Drain barley; set aside. Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE (PARVE OR MEAT)
4.2/5 (18)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, SoupCalories 305 per serving
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SAUSAGE SOUP RECIPE FROM H-E-B
VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - MINISTRY OF CURRY
MEAL-IN-A-BOWL MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - MAY I HAVE THAT RECIPE?
10 SIMPLE YET HEARTY WINTER SOUP RECIPES
HEARTY BARLEY AND MUSHROOM SOUP | CLUB HOUSE CA
HEARTY BARLEY RECIPES | EATINGWELL
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP | RECIPE - KOSHER.COM
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - GEMS IN ISRAEL
MACROBIOTIC MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - THE WASHINGTON POST
HEARTY BARLEY + MUSHROOM SOUP — NOURISH TO FLOURISH
SIMPLE MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP (EASY TO PREP) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | DR. MCDOUGALL
HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
COOK BARLEY SOUP - THERESCIPES.INFO
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP WITH FLANKEN - HEARTY BEEF SOUP RECIPE
HEARTY, QUICK AND DELICIOUS MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - 31 DAILY
CREAMY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - EVERYDAY EILEEN
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - SOUPADDICT
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP | FLAVOR THE MOMENTS
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP (MADE IN THE SLOW COOKER) - PINCH AND SWIRL
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE: HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE AND BROWNIE/BANANA DELIGHT
SPICY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | RACHAEL RAY IN SEASON
HEARTY BEEF AND MUSHROOM SOUP - THERESCIPES.INFO
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
HEARTY MUSHROOM-BARLEY SOUP - SOUP RECIPES
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - WHISKED AWAY KITCHEN
VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP - AHEAD OF THYME
MUSHROOM AND BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
RICH & HEARTY MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - PACIFIC FOODS
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - TWO PEAS & THEIR POD
MUSHROOM AND BARLEY SOUP - YAY KOSHER DELICIOUS AND FILLING
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP – BON APPETIT HON
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #soups-stews #vegetables #easy #grains #stove-top #dietary #mushrooms #pasta-rice-and-grains #equipment
You'll also love