- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Shape the ground beef into patties and place in pan. Layer the vegetables on top of the beef patties, starting with the potatoes, then carrots and finally onion rings. Season with salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste.
- Cover with aluminum foil and seal edges. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or to desired doneness.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 451 calories, Carbohydrate 56 g, Cholesterol 71.1 mg, Fat 14.1 g, Fiber 8.3 g, Protein 25.5 g, SaturatedFat 5.5 g, Sodium 132.2 mg, Sugar 6.7 g
My dad use to make this dish when I was growing up and I just loved it. Of course his was a little different from mine but just as good. He would refer to it as Rainbow Stew also. Every time I make it I am reminded of him and remember all the times watching him cook growing up. It is called Hobo Stew because you can add anything you can get your hands on to it and it tastes great. It is very pantry friendly since you can pretty much use what you have vegetable wise (or what you like.) You can also add different meats. I have made it with ground longhorn, turkey, and deer. I have also used chunks of meat rather than ground. It is a great way to used up meat you have stashed in the freezer but can't think of what to cook with it (or just not enough of it the meat for it to stand-alone.) Tonight I actually used some cubed steaks I had in the freezer. I just chopped them up. If you use actual chunks of meat I would cut them into 1-inch chunks, brown in the oil before adding the vegetables. You can also play around with the herbs, adding combos you like or fresh herbs you have on hand. I just happened to have some fresh greek oregano my mother-in-law gave me . Just have fun and play around with it. The recipe is very versatile and makes a large pot of food. It is budget friendly too since you can use what is on sale.
Provided by Maiden77
Yield 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the meat and cook until no longer pink. Toss in the tomato paste and cook for roughly two minutes. The color of the paste will deepen. Put in the garlic and cook 30 seconds, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the meat and vegetables. Allow to cook for 2 or 3 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices. Add both kinds of broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, and then carefully place your potatoes inches Stir in the rest of the vegetables (green beans, hominy, and black-eyes peas.).
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer hard (or low boil) until the potatoes are done (you will be able to easily slide a fork in.) It could take up to an hour depending on how small you cut the potatoes. Stir occasionally.
- When potatoes are done remove the bay leaves, stir in the oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a cast iron Dutch oven over a campfire, and brown the ground beef. Drain off the excess grease, then pour in the mixed vegetables, tomatoes, macaroni, and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and cook until the macaroni is tender, and the stew has reached desired thickness.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 391.2 calories, Carbohydrate 52 g, Cholesterol 46 mg, Fat 10.1 g, Fiber 7.7 g, Protein 22 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 654.3 mg, Sugar 3.1 g
The late Dave Chasen, founder of the famous Beverly Hills restaurant that bears his name, developed this unusual treatment for New York steak which produces a rich, tender and memorable main dish
Provided by Lynnda Cloutier
Categories Steaks and Chops
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Season steak with pepper. Wrap fat around sides of steak, covering them completely but leaving top and bottom exposed. Tie fat to steak with string near top and also near bottom. Fat must be securely anchored to steak. Mix salt and water to make a paste. Mound about 3/4 of mixture over top of steak,covering meat completely. Put steak under broiler and broil 8 to 10 minutes depending on size of steak.
- 2. Carefully remove salt crust, keeping it in one piece. Turn steak over and place salt crust on other side. If needed, patch crust with remaining salt mixture. Broil steak another 8 to 10 minutes.Remove steak from boiler and discard crust and fat. Slice met, cutting slightly n the diagonal. Heat butter in chafing dish or large skillet til foaming and lightly browned. Put a few slices of meat at a time in butter and cook to desired degree of doneness. Allow about 1 minute on each side for rare. meat. Put each slice of meat on a slice of toast and spoon some of the hot butter over. Makes 2 servings.
CHASEN'S HOBO STEAK
I recently watched a documentary about the closing of the great Hollywood restaurant Chasen's. During the film they kept showing the captains making this steak tableside and it looked just wonderful. At the end of the film they showed the recipes. I know the recipe looks like it has a lot of fat and it does but keep in mind the pieces of fat and the salt crust are disgarded and the steak is just cooked in the butter, you are not eating all that fat salt and butter. I think this would make a great special occasion meal.
Provided by riffraff
Yield 2-3 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Season steak with pepper.
- Wrap fat around sides of steak, covering them completely but leaving top and bottom exposed.
- Tie fat to steak with string near top and bottom.
- Fat must be securely anchored to steak.
- Combine salt and water to make paste.
- Mound about 3/4 of mixture over top of steak, covering meat completely.
- Place steak under broiler and broil 8 to 10 minutes, depending on size of steak.
- Carefully remove salt crust, keeping it in one piece.
- Turn steak over and place salt crust on other side.
- If necessary, patch crust with remaining salt mixture.
- Broil steak another 8 to 10 minutes. Remove steak from broiler and discard crust and fat.
- Slice meat, cutting slightly on diagonal.
- Heat butter in chafing dish or large skillet until foaming and lightly browned.
- Place a few slices of meat at a time in butter and cook to desired degree of doneness.
- (Allow about 1 minute on each side for rare meat.)
- Place each slice of meat on slice of toast and spoon some of the hot butter over.
More about "hobo steak recipes"
BEEF HOBO DINNER RECIPE | HAMBURGER POTATO DINNER IN FOIL ...
Reviews 3Category Main CourseServings 4Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Place 1 lb. lean ground beef in a bowl. Add small amount of water to beef so that it will effectively steam the vegetables while cooking.
STEAK FOIL PACKETS (HOBO DINNER) - THE FOOD CHARLATAN
5/5 (2)Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanCalories 505 per serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (Or see notes for camp fire or grill instructions.)Tear off 4 large sheets of heavy duty foil, about 10-12 inches across.
- You can double wrap if you're worried about it.Add 1 cup of cooked rice to the center of each sheet of foil.Top rice with about 1-2 teaspoons of onion soup mix.Use a sharp knife to slice the steak into 12 thin strips, about 1 inch across.
- See photos.Place 3 strips of steak on top of each mound of rice.(At this point, you can add chopped vegetables around the edges of the rice.
STEAK AND POTATO PACKETS (HOBO PACKETS) - THE COUNTRY COOK
Ratings 16Calories 772 per servingCategory Main Course
20+ BEST HOBO MEALS AND CAMPING RECIPES - RECIPES FOR CAMPING
Reviews 10Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
HOBO DINNER FOIL PACKETS (HAMBURGER & POTATO) - SPEND WITH ...
5/5 (171)Total Time 1 hrCategory DinnerCalories 439 per serving
HOBO DINNER-BEEF, POTATOES, ONIONS, CARROTS, AND A CREAMY ...
5/5 (1)Total Time 40 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 584 per serving
- In a bowl, mix together the beef, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and brown sugar until the spices are evenly incorporated.
BUTTER GARLIC HERB STEAK FOIL PACKETS | THE RECIPE CRITIC
4.5/5 (52)Calories 489 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Dish
- In a medium sized bowl add the red potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and red onion. Add salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
- Place four 18x12-inch pieces of heavy aluminum foil on counter. Evenly place vegetable mixture on each piece of foil. Top vegetables with steak.
- To make the garlic herb butter: In a small bowl add the butter, parsley, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Divide evenly and place on top of the steak. Double fold top and ends of each piece of foil, leaving space for steam to gather.
- Place packets on the grill and cover. Grill 15 minutes or until steak is cooked through and veggies are tender. Carefully open packets and serve.
HOBO DINNER FOIL PACKETS | THE RECIPE CRITIC
Reviews 11Category Dinner, Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr
- Cut four sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil. Combine ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Shape into four patties and place in the center of the aluminum foil.
- In a medium sized bowl toss potatoes, carrots, onion olive oil and Italian seasoning. Divide evenly between the four packets. Fold the foil over and seal each packet.
- Place the packets on the grill or over the coals of a fire. Cook for about 45-60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Carefully open the foil packets and top with cheese.
HAMBURGER HOBO DINNER FOIL PACKS - A SOUTHERN SOUL
4.7/5 (21)Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 50 mins
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high heat. Tear heavy duty tin foil into 4 pieces approximately 15 X 12 inches. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- While the grill is heating, divide the ground beef into 1/4 pound portions and form into patties. Slice potatoes about 1/4 inch rounds. Peel and slice carrots. Slice onion.
- To build dinner packets, place 3 to 4 slices of potato on the coated foil. Divide onions and carrots between 4 packs and layer over potatoes. Place hamburger patties on top of the veggies. Place 1/2 teaspoon of butter on top of the patty. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of Montreal Seasoning. Fold foil over ingredients then seal middle and ends
- To cook on the grill: Place packets on grates, seam side down and cook for 10 minutes. Turn and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
HOBO DINNERS: FAST AND FLAVORFUL MEALS TO MAKE OVER THE ...
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
HOBO BURGER PACKETS | PAULA DEEN
Servings 7Total Time 7 mins
CHASEN’S HOBO STEAK - OMNIVOROUS | RECIPES, SUGGESTIONS ...
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
HOBO DINNER IN THE AIR FRYER OVEN (STEAK AND POTATO FOIL ...
CHASEN'S HOBO STEAK | RIB RECIPES, STEAK, DINNER RECIPES
HOBO STEAK - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
5 EASY BEEF AND PORK HOBO TIN FOIL PACK CAMPING DINNERS
HOBO STEAK - BIGOVEN.COM
HOBO STEAK - CHASEN'S RECIPE BY JOHNNY LEMBECK - COOKPAD
HOBO STEAK | RECIPE | RECIPES, STEAK, CAMPING FOOD
HOBO STEAKS RECIPES
THE BEST HOBO PACKET RECIPES FOR CAMPING - BESTCAMPING.COM
HOBO DINNER RECIPE : ROSEMARY STEAK AND ASPARAGUS - YOUTUBE
HOBO DINNER IN THE AIR FRYER OVEN (STEAK AND POTATO FOIL ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How long do you cook a beef hobo in the oven?Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Enjoy! From hobo to the noblest monarch, everyone will love this incredible beef hobo dinner! A simple recipe that sees beef, potatoes, and carrots cooked to perfection in a foil pouch either in the oven or over a fire, this dinner is easy to make and even more delicious!
What's the best way to cook Hobo dinner?Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the hobo dinner foil packets right on a cookie sheet and cook for 40 to 45 minutes long. Foil Dinner Over the Fire/Camping: This is perfect to take on a camping trip.
What's the best way to make Hobo stew?Directions. Heat a cast iron Dutch oven over a campfire, and brown the ground beef. Drain off the excess grease, then pour in the mixed vegetables, tomatoes, macaroni, and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and cook until the macaroni is tender, and the stew has reached desired thickness.
How to make Hobo dinner with cream of mushroom soup?Stack a 1/4 of each vegetable in a layer in the center of each sheet of foil. Sprinkle the vegetables generously with salt and pepper and dot the top with 1 tablespoon of cubed butter. Top the vegetable layer with a beef patty then top with 2 tablespoons cream of mushroom soup. Seal foil packets well and place on a rimmed baking sheet.