NEW YORK HOT DOG CART ONION SAUCE
Born in the Bronx, raised in Queens. My father worked for Pan Am in the day (data Control), drove a New York Cab at night, and on the weekends he owned a New York Hot Dog Cart. Before he passed away in February of 2004, he did give me the recipe to the Onion Sauce. When everybody else is saying to use pasta sauce, and this and that, the truth is there are only six ingredients. Bobby Flay is about the only one who got it close. In New York a true New York Hot Dog ordered from a cart is, Nathan Hot Dogs, Mustard, Onion Sauce, and topped with Sauerkraut. I wanted to write this recipe for a long time but after seeing so many Onion Sauce recipes, and hearing how so many people are from New York, it is time to post the original recipe.
Provided by Denises
Yield 3-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a small sauce pan place vegetable oil, and onions.
- Cook over medium heat; saute until onion is soft; don't burn it.
- Quickly add ketchup, water, stir.
- Stir for at least 20 minutes or until the water is reduced about 1/2.
- Note: I had to mention a measurement in order for this recipe to go through. The truth is to use a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- This is the true recipe for Onion Sauce for New York Hot dogs.
- When I use the sauerkraut I boil it with added water to make it softer.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 75.5, Fat 3.1, SaturatedFat 0.4, Sodium 325, Carbohydrate 12, Fiber 1.4, Sugar 7.7, Protein 1.2
HOT DOG ONION SAUCE
If you like the red onion sauce served on the hot dogs you get from the road side carts, you'll enjoy this easy to prepare sauce.
Provided by Katha
Yield 1 batch
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion slices.
- Saute about 7-10 minutes until golden& limp.
- Mix in the ketchup.
- Add the cinnamon, chili powder, garlic powder,hot pepper sauce& salt.
- Pour in water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 397.6, Fat 28.5, SaturatedFat 2.2, Sodium 849.6, Carbohydrate 36.5, Fiber 4.2, Sugar 23, Protein 3.6
IRON CHEF HOT DOG WITH ONION AND PEPPER RELISH AND CRISPY RED ONIONS
- For the relish: Bring the red wine vinegar plus 1/4 cup water to a gentle simmer in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the sugar, mustard seeds and coriander seeds. Simmer until the liquid reduces to a syrup consistency and the seeds become tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat the oil in the same pan over medium heat until it smokes lightly. Add the onions and red pepper and cook over high heat until slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from the heat and add to the reduced vinegar mixture along with the hot sauce and pickles. Stir to blend, then transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 48 hours.
- For the crispy onions: Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a medium pot.
- Stir together the flour and paprika in a medium bowl, then add the onion slices and toss to coat. Test the oil by dropping in one onion slice. It should fall to the bottom, begin to bubble, rise to the top and fry gradually. Prepare a baking sheet fitted with a kitchen towel, and get a slotted spoon ready. Shake the excess flour off half of the onions and drop them in the oil. Gently swirl them with the spoon so they fry more evenly on all sides, until they are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove them with the spoon and lay them out on the kitchen towel to cool. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining onions.
- For the hot dogs: Boil or pan-fry? Your choice. (See Cook's Note.) If you want to boil the dogs, place the dogs in a pan with enough simmering water to cover them and gently cook over medium-low heat until fully hot, 8 to 10 minutes. To pan-fry, add them to a little hot oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat until they are golden brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Toast the buns in the toaster or a hot (350 degree F) oven until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Spread a layer of mustard down the length of the dogs and place them in the buns. Top with hearty helpings of the relish and even layers of the onions all the way down the bun.
NEW YORK STREET CART DOG
Provided by Bobby Flay
Yield 4 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Onion sauce: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until they are soft. Stir in the honey, cinnamon and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, water, hot sauce, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool to room temperature before serving. (Chef's Note: The sauce can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days.)
- Assembly: Put the boiled hot dogs onto the buns. Spread the bottom half of each bun with some mustard and top each hot dog with the onion sauce or sauerkraut or both.
HOT DOG SAUCE
- Brown beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat; cool mixture slightly. Place in food processor; pulse until mixture is finely crumbled, about 5 or 6 pulses. Return meat to skillet; stir in garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the ketchup and barbeque sauce into the skillet. Stir in the chili powder, mustard, pepper, salt, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, and water. Cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Season sauce with additional salt, if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 107.5 calories, Carbohydrate 8.7 g, Cholesterol 22.9 mg, Fat 5.3 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 6.9 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 825.4 mg, Sugar 5.7 g
HOT DOG ONIONS
I love the push cart hot dogs, mainly because of the onions they serve on top...so I mixed and matched many different ingredients until I came up with the perfect combination for this recipe! This tastes just like the kind of onions I often would get from my favorite hot dog stands!
Provided by Lillian
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat the corn oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce, yellow mustard, sugar, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the water and tomato paste; simmer until liquid has reduced, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 109.3 calories, Carbohydrate 11.1 g, Fat 7.2 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 1.5 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 717.3 mg, Sugar 5.7 g
NYC HOT DOG ONION SAUCE
- In saucepan combine all ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes, until desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 39.5, Fat 0.4, Sodium 225, Carbohydrate 8.5, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 5.9, Protein 0.9
HOT DOG SAUCE
I was having company one day and looking for just the right sauce for hot dogs. I called Grandma, who shared this wonderful recipe.-Melissa Norris, Churubusco, Indiana
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 cups.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Carefully crumble beef into water. Add onion. Boil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve over hot dogs in buns.
Nutrition Facts :
NEW YORK HOT DOG ONION SAUCE
- Make the sauce: in a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add in the onions.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Decrease heat to low and saute onions, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until onions are softened and translucent but not browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat, uncovered and stirring often, for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until mixture thickens and onions are very tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more crushed red pepper and vinegar, if desired.
- Make hot dogs: place hot dogs in buns and top with mustard.
- Add sauerkraut and top with New York Hot Dog Onion Sauce; serve immediately.
HARD CIDER ONIONS FOR HOT DOGS OR SAUSAGES
Sweet onions cooked in butter and hard apple cider until tender and flavorful make a sweet and sassy complement to your favorite frank-on-a-bun! Use tongs to serve on hot dogs or other sausages in buns with spicy mustard.
Provided by JARRIE
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic salt; cook and stir until tender and just starting to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Add hard cider and black pepper; simmer, covered, until flavors combine, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover skillet and cook until cooking liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add sugar as needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 36.9 calories, Carbohydrate 4.6 g, Cholesterol 3.8 mg, Fat 1.5 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 0.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 69.6 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
ONIONS IN RED SAUCE FOR HOT DOGS
Chopped onions on a hot dog are good but this onion sauce a traditional topping for a New York hot dog is better.
Provided by Rita1652
Yield 15 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil.
- When onions are tender add ketchup, choice of cayenne or pepper flakes and paprika.
- Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over grilled hot dogs in steamed buns.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 36, Fat 1.9, SaturatedFat 0.3, Sodium 61.1, Carbohydrate 4.6, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 2.5, Protein 0.5
NEW YORK PUSHCART ONIONS (FOR HOT DOGS)
I am a Canadian who spent 6 winters in Florida, and while there I met a person from New York (Brian). I did the cooking for most parties at the park, including snacks for our golf group which met twice a week after golf. Brian told me about the Push Cart Onions and I tried them with the group. They loved them. You can play with this recipe to suit your taste. Add more or less sugar, maybe a little more hot sauce, etc.
Provided by ETHIER65
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions and green bell pepper until onions are slightly browned and soft, 8 to 12 minutes. Mix in ketchup, sugar, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Pour in water, bring mixture to a boil, and simmer uncovered until onions are tender, about 10 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 42.2 calories, Carbohydrate 5.3 g, Fat 2.4 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 0.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.3 g, Sodium 60.4 mg, Sugar 3 g
More about "hot dog onion sauce recipes"
HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPE - LAKE LIFE STATE OF MIND
5/5 (1)Category Sauces & DressingsCuisine SaucesTotal Time 25 mins
- Cook your onions for about 10 minutes or until they are translucent and slightly beginning to brown. You’ll want to make sure you are stirring them occasionally throughout the 10 minutes so they don’t stick.
THE BEST HOT DOG ONION SAUCE – A MUST FOR ANY TAILGATE
Servings 8-10Calories 407 per servingEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
THE BEST HOT DOG ONION SAUCE - COOKING & RECIPES
Servings 6-8Calories 407 per servingEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Sprinkle in the ancho chile powder, cinnamon and smoked paprika. Saute for another minute or so.
NYC-STYLE DIRTY WATER DOGS WITH ONION SAUCE - EATS BY THE BEACH
BBQ VIDALIA ONION SAUCE - MOTHER THYME
HOT DOGS WITH ONION SAUCE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
NEW YORK STYLE HOT DOG ONIONS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
10 BEST HOT DOG MEAT SAUCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
276 EASY AND TASTY HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPES BY HOME COOKS
NEW YORK HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPE | PARENTING PATCH
THE BEST HOT DOG SAUCE RECIPE » HOMEMADE HEATHER
NEW YORK HOT DOG WITH CLASSIC ONION SAUCE, A BITE OF …
RED ONION HOT DOG SAUCE~ONION SAUCE RECIPE~SABRETT'S COPYCAT ...
RECIPE: HOT DOG PIE WITH 3-MINUTE CHEESE SAUCE (CARNATION ...
NEW YORK HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPE - UPROXX
19 HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPES - RECIPELAND.COM
NY STYLE PUSH CART HOT DOG ONION SAUCE - SAVVY IN THE KITCHEN
16 HOMEMADE HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPE IDEAS IN 2022 - PINTEREST
MANHATTAN'S SABRETT'S HOT DOGS WITH THEIR FAMOUS ONION SAUCE …
14 HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPE IDEAS IN 2022 - PINTEREST
HOT DOG ONIONS TOMATO SAUCE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOT DOG ONION SAUCE RECIPE BY HANNAH HOSKINS - MASTERCOOK
NEW YORK RED ONION HOT DOG SAUCE - SUNSHINE DAWN
NEW YORK ONIONS FOR HOT DOGS RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SABRETT ONIONS IN SAUCE FOR HOT DOGS - COPYKAT RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST NY STYLE ONION SAUCE FOR HOT DOGS
SLIMY SABRETT HOT DOGS - THERESCIPES.INFO
PUSHCART ONION SAUCE | MRFOOD.COM
RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS | FOOD NETWORK
KETO HOT DOG ONION SAUCE, NEW YORK STYLE! · FITTOSERVE GROUP
SABRETT ONIONS IN SAUCE FOR HOT DOGS - COPYKAT RECIPES
NEW YORK-STYLE HOT DOG ONIONS RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
HORMEL HOT DOG CHILI SAUCE - THERESCIPES.INFO
NEW YORK HOT DOGS WITH ONION SAUCE - LIFE, LOVE, AND GOOD FOOD
SABRETT ONION SAUCE RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #low-protein #sauces #condiments-etc #vegetables #dietary #gluten-free #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #free-of-something #low-in-something #onions
Red Onion Hot Dog Sauce~Onion Sauce Recipe~Sabrett's Copycat~Independence Day~Noreen's Kitchen136K views-12:00
How to Make the Best NY Style Onion Sauce for Hot Dogs15K views-08:54
BEST Copycat Sabrett's Red Onion Hot Dog Sauce Recipe ~ NYC HotDog Cart Style28K views-04:41
New York Style Onion Sauce Over Sabrett Hot Dogs Recipe85K views-10:33
EP# 282. An Easy Red Sauce with Onions, Perfect Hot Dog Condiment for Your BBQ57 views-10:12
Red Onion Hot Dog Sauce. New York City Hot Dog Cart Style. Tasty, Simple and Delicious recipe!1.1K views-07:42
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make the red onion sauce on hot dogs?If you like the red onion sauce served on the hot dogs you get from the road side carts, you'll enjoy this easy to prepare sauce. Join the conversation! AMT. PER SERVING % DAILY VALUE In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion slices. Saute about 7-10 minutes until golden& limp. Mix in the ketchup.
What is the best hot dog sauce for dogs?This Onion Sauce is a staple at most hot dog carts – spicy, smoky and full of flavor, this Hot Dog Onion Sauce will make your dog the best in taste! Over medium heat, heat the oil in a medium saucepan or heavy bottomed dutch oven. Add the thinly sliced onions to the oil and cook for 5 minutes or so, until the onions are soft.
How do you make hot sauce with onions and ketchup?Onion sauce: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until they are soft. Stir in the honey, cinnamon and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, water, hot sauce, salt and black pepper.
What are the ingredients in a hot dog recipe?Ingredients 1 4 cups water 2 1-1/2 pounds ground beef 3 1 medium onion, chopped 4 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce 5 2 tablespoons brown sugar 6 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder 7 1/2 teaspoon salt 8 1/4 teaspoon pepper 9 Hot dogs, heated 10 Hot dog buns, split More ...