LEMON LAMB SOUP
This is a hearty soup that works every time. It can even be a meal in a soup depending on how you want to serve it. Full of flavours that make your mouth water.
Provided by bggio
Yield 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Add water and salt and bring to boil.
- Add Lamb to boiling water. 30 minutes(you can debone the meat and cut to cubes first but add bones in water with the meat cubes I prefer to cube the meat after its boiled).
- Remove the meat and/or bones and the goop on top of boiling water.
- add the chopped fennel and boil for 5 minutes Med/high heat.
- add the potatoes and boil for 10 minutes.
- Re introduce the meat if you have not cubed it first and boil 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and boil for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the soup watching for the seeds and boil for another 10 minutes.
- The preparation can happen during the boiling as there are distinct steps.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 92.5, Fat 0.2, Sodium 723.9, Carbohydrate 21.7, Fiber 3.7, Sugar 0.9, Protein 2.7
LAMB EGG-LEMON SOUP
- Boil broth, add noodles, rice and salt, and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Beat eggs thoroughly with a whisk in a deep bowl, add lemon juice and beat again. Add some of the hot soup to the bowl, whisking constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot, whisking constantly, and cook over low heat until nicely thickened. Do not let it boil. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 102, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 12 grams, Fat 2 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 660 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
LEMON AND EGG SOUP
- Bring stock to a boil with saffron, bay leaf, and lemon peel. Cover and steep 5 minutes then turn off heat and remove bay leaf and peel.
- Whisk eggs and yolks with lemon juice and hot sauce. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the soup to temper the eggs. Whisk the egg mixture into the soup then turn heat on low and whisk together until soup thickens slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a few pita chips.
EGG LEMON SOUP
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the orzo, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until pasta is done. Turn off the heat, keeping the pan in its place.
- Separate the eggs, and place the egg whites in a clean bowl and beat just until foamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks and continue beating until well mixed, another 2 minutes. Continuing to beat, gradually add the lemon juice. Slowly add about 3 cups of the hot chicken broth (at this point, use a thermometer to make sure the broth is just below 160 degrees F), beating as you add the broth in a very thin stream.
- Using a wooden spoon or large fork, vigorously stir the orzo and remaining hot broth in an S pattern. Then quickly pour all of the egg lemon mixture into the saucepan while stirring. Keep the pan warm over very low heat, and stir in an S pattern until the soup thickens slightly and the froth is broken down. Serve hot.
EGG LEMON SOUP
The authentic version of this Greek soup is a chicken soup with an egg and lemon enrichment stirred in at the end. But I don't hesitate to make it using garlic broth, thereby transforming a Greek classic into a refreshing, lemony twist on garlic soup.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories soups and stews
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Bring the garlic broth to a simmer and season as desired with salt and pepper. Add the rice and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl and beat in the lemon juice.
- Distribute the optional broccoli among 4 soup bowls. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the hot broth into the lemon/egg mixture and whisk together. Making sure that the soup is not boiling, stir the egg mixture back into the soup and turn off the heat. Stir for a minute or two, taste and adjust seasonings. Add the parsley, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 141, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 24 grams, Fat 3 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 1297 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
EASTER LAMB SOUP
- Wash the lamb head and neck thoroughly and place in a pot with the onions. Cover with cold water, season with salt, and simmer for about 1 hour, skimming the surface several times.
- Cut the intestines into several pieces and wash thoroughly under running water. If you like, slice them open so you can wash them more easily. In a separate pan, bring some salted water to a boil and add the intestines. Blanch for 2 minutes, then remove with a skimmer and discard the water. Chop the intestines finely. You don't need more than 1 cup of chopped intestines.
- The head and neck are done when the meat falls from the bones. Remove them from the pot. Using a sharp knife, cut open the head and separate the meat from the bones. Remove the meat from the neck and cut all the meat into small pieces. Strain the stock and discard the onions. Let the stock cool and remove the fat. (Up to this point, the preparations can be made a day ahead. You can refrigerate the meat and the stock, making it easier to skim off the fat.)
- To finish the soup, wash the liver well and cut it into small cubes. In a skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the liver with the scallions and chili pepper, if using. Add the finely chopped meat and intestines, together with 1 cup of the dill, and turn a few times with a wooden spoon. Transfer the mixture to a pot and add the stock plus an equal amount of water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Taste and add more pepper and salt if needed.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl with about 2 spoonfuls of water and the juice of 1 lemon. Slowly add cupfuls of the hot soup to the bowl, beating continuously with the whisk. When the egg mixture is very hot, pour it slowly into the pot, stirring well, over very low heat, to prevent curdling. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed. Sprinkle with the rest of the dill, and serve immediately.
- NOTE: Some people add 1/2 to 1 cup short-grain rice to the soup.
- If you hate the taste of boiled lamb, you can make an equally tasty magiritsa with chicken livers and chicken stock. There is even a meatless magiritsa. Sauté the scallions and dill, adding a few chopped leaves of romaine lettuce. Pour in water or stock and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Make the egg and lemon mixture as described above and serve.
SOUPA AVGOLEMONO (EGG-LEMON SOUP)
This tasty soup is very popular in Greece and Cyprus. I remember my father making it on chilly winter days, especially when there were colds and flu in the household! Sometimes he would add chopped, cooked chicken to the soup, and other times he would serve it plain. This is a taste of my childhood.
Provided by truebrit
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Bring broth to boil in saucepan, and add rice or orzo.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 20-25 minutes (rice) or 10 minutes (orzo).
- While the rice cooks, lightly beat the eggs and the lemon juice together.
- Remove the broth from heat.
- Slowly mix about one cup of the hot broth into egg-lemon mixture.
- Add to the soup gradually while stirring.
- Place saucepan back on the heat, and stir until soup is heated through (DO NOT BOIL).
- Pour chicken broth into a large pot, and bring to a boil. Add orzo pasta, and simmer for 10 minutes, until tender.
- In a medium glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites to medium stiff peaks. Stir in egg yolks and lemon juice. When the pasta has finished cooking, Gradually ladle about 1 cup of the soup into the egg mixture while stirring gently. This will heat up the eggs so they will not be shocked by the boiling liquid. Pour the egg mixture into the soup pot, and stir until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 124.2 calories, Carbohydrate 21.2 g, Cholesterol 55.7 mg, Fat 1.9 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 6 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 891.4 mg, Sugar 2 g
EGG AND LEMON SOUP
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium heat. Add rice; boil 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Beat in lemon juice. Beat half the hot soup into the eggs, 1/4 cup at a time. Stir egg mixture into remaining soup; cook over very low heat, stirring just until heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 178 g, Fat 5 g, Protein 10 g
More about "lamb egg lemon soup recipes"
GREEK EASTER LAMB SOUP WITH EGG LEMON SAUCE - MEDITERRANEAN …
5/5 (1)Total Time 2 hrsServings 8Calories 326 per serving
EGG AND LEMON LAMB SOUP — GREEK-RECIPE-COM
LAMB EGG-LEMON SOUP RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
RECIPE: LAMB MEATBALLS WITH LEMON SAUCE - KITCHN
GREEK EGG AND LEMON SOUP (AVGOLEMONO SOUPA) RECIPE
LAMB WITH EGG AND LEMON | GOURMET TRAVELLER
THE TRADITIONAL EGG-LEMON SAUCE (GREEK AVGOLEMONO) RECIPE
10 BEST GREEK LAMB SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
5000 RECIPES: EGG AND LEMON LAMB SOUP
WKIMX: EGG AND LEMON LAMB SOUP
GREEK LAMB STEW WITH EGG LEMON SAUCE (ARNAKI FRICASSEE)
LEMON LAMB SOUP - COOKEATSHARE
EGG AND LEMON LAMB SOUP RECIPE – THE BEST FREE COOKING RECIPES
TRADITIONAL MAGIRITSA RECIPE (GREEK EASTER SOUP)
EASTER EGG AND LEMON SOUP (AVGOLEMONO) WITH BRAISED LAMB
LEMON LAMB SOUP RECIPES
LEMONY LAMB SOUP | MRFOOD.COM
EGG AND LEMON LAMB SOUP RECIPE - KETONEBEE.COM
HOW TO MAKE GREEK EGG AND LEMON SOUP (AVGOLEMONO) - KITCHN
CREAMY LEMON SOUP WITH LAMB MINT MEATBALLS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
LAMB SOUP WITH EGG AND LEMON SAUCE – FIND MEDITERRANEAN …
10 BEST GROUND LAMB SOUPS RECIPES | YUMMLY
GREEK LAMB STEW WITH EGG AND LEMON SAUCE RECIPE RECIPE
LAMB STEW WITH LEMON RECIPE - FABIO TRABOCCHI | FOOD & WINE
EGG AND LEMON LAMB SOUP - RECIPE WILD
BEST LAMB SHANK RECIPE - SIMPLE FRENCH COOKING
RECIPE: REAL GREEK EGG-LEMON SOUP | CBC LIFE
GREEK LAMB STEW WITH EGG AND LEMON SAUCE – RECIPES NETWORK
LAMB, LEMON AND RICE SOUP RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
SNAPSHOTS FROM ITALY: ROMAN EASTER SOUP RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
TANGY LEMON-EGG SOUP WITH TINY MEATBALLS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
CREAMY LEMON SOUP WITH LAMB MINT MEATBALLS | KEEPRECIPES: …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make Greek egg and lemon soup?Made with just a few simple ingredients, Greek egg and lemon soup is a uniquely flavored, velvety smooth soup that's satisfying enough to make a whole meal. SAVED! Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the rice. Stir for about 2 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
What kind of soup is egg and lemon soup?Egg and Lemon Soup (Avgolemono Soupa) is a classic Greek soup thickened with eggs and rice and richly flavored with lemon juice and lemon zest. Along with olive oil, oregano, and garlic, lemons are one of the most common ingredients in Greek cuisine.
How to cook rice soup with egg and lemon?While the rice cooks, lightly beat the eggs and the lemon juice together. Remove the broth from heat. Slowly mix about one cup of the hot broth into egg-lemon mixture. Add to the soup gradually while stirring. Place saucepan back on the heat, and stir until soup is heated through (DO NOT BOIL).
How do you add lemon juice to soup?While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in about 1/2 cup of the simmering broth, then add the lemon juice. Remove the soup from the heat and gradually add the egg mixture, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Stir in the lemon zest and season to taste with salt and pepper.