LAMBS QUARTER (QUELITES) AND BEANS
"Quelites" is a Spanish word for "wild greens." We like to cook with edible weeds, and lambs quarters fall into this category. You can look online for more information about how to identify this plant, which you can use much like you use spinach. If you live in the midwestern United States, you probably have these growing in your yard. I'm not sure where my husband got this recipe, but I like it.
Provided by MarieL
Yield 4-5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Saute the garlic and leeks with the olive oil until the leeks are tender.
- Add the other ingredients and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, then serve.
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add lamb's-quarter; cook and stir until wilted. Cover and remove from the heat. , In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in salt, pepper, 1 cup cheese and lamb's-quarter mixture. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 343 calories, Fat 23g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 128mg cholesterol, Sodium 494mg sodium, Carbohydrate 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 13g protein.
Lambsquarters are generally considered a weed. You have probably yanked them out of your own flowerbed and never knew that they were good to eat. They taste like swiss chard. Be sure not to over cook them. I was surprised that no one else had posted about them here. Be sure that you check that you are picking the real thing, here is a good reference http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/cheal.htm there are many more, but this one has a good picture.
Provided by KookieMomster
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat oil in a sautee pan and dice the onion.
- Wash the leaves and stems, bring the water to a boil.
- Brown the onion, when brown set aside with a lid on.
- Steam the leaves/stems until tender @2 minute Mix juice with onions and oil.
- Put leaves in a bowl, drizzle with onion/lemon/oil sauce and sprinkle with seeds and salt.
- Serve immediately.
CREAMY LAMB'S-QUARTERS GRATIN
- Make Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F with the rack in the middle. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Bring 1-inch salted water to a boil in a large saucepan. Meanwhile, wash lamb's-quarters in a large bowl of cold water and drain well. Trim any coarse, woody stems at bottom (don't go crazy with trimming; young lamb's-quarter stems cook up tender and delicious).
- Add lamb's-quarters to pot and cook over medium heat, covered, until leaves are wilted and stems are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the greens in a large sieve or colander and rinse well under cold running water. Drain again, pressing out excess liquid with the back of a large spoon. Coarsely chop greens and transfer to a bowl. Dry saucepan and reserve.
- Cook scallions in olive oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in reserved saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Combine scallion mixture with greens in bowl. Reserve saucepan again.
- Melt butter in reserved saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in flour. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes, then whisk in milk and bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer sauce, whisking, 2 minutes (it will be thick). Remove from heat and whisk in nutmeg, zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix sauce into greens mixture. If the mixture is too thick, thin with a little additional milk; season with salt and pepper. Spread out mixture in baking dish.
- Make Topping:
- Toss together crumbs, cheeses, and oil until combined well. Sprinkle topping evenly over greens mixture and bake in oven until crumbs are golden and mixture is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Cooks' Notes:
- The best way to make coarse fresh breadcrumbs is to cube fresh bread, then grind it in small batches in a blender (a food processor is not as good at grinding crusty bread into breadcrumbs because the crusts get stuck in the blade).
- Creamy lamb's-quarters mixture and crumb mixture can be made 1 day ahead and kept separately in airtight containers, chilled.
More about "lambs quarter quelites and beans recipes"
3 WAYS TO EAT LAMB'S QUARTERS - WIKIHOW
LAMB'S QUARTERS WITH BEANS: QUELITES CON FRIJOLES - MEXCONNECT
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
FRIJOLES Y QUELITES WITH LAMB'S QUARTERS - RECIPES - THE INTREPID …
Cuisine Mexican, Wild EdiblesTotal Time 30 minsCategory Main Course, Side
BEANS & QUELITES | SANTA FE FARMERS' MARKET INSTITUTE
LAMB'S QUARTERS – WHAT TO DO … | THE HEARTWOOD RETREAT CENTER, …
LAMBS QUARTERS RECIPES MARIQUITA FARM - FOOD NEWS
PICKING AND EATING LAMBS QUARTER: WITH THE ONLY RECIPE YOU NEED
PHOENIX FARMS: LAMBS QUARTER RECIPES - BLOGGER
WHAT CAN I COOK WITH LAMB’S QUARTERS? - KITCHN
QUELITES - PINTEREST
LAMB'S QUARTERS CHOCHOYOTES IN ANCHO CHILI SAUCE - THE INTREPID …
QUELITES (OR LAMB’S QUARTERS) – EXPERIMENTS IN MY NEW WORLD …
PRESERVING, DRYING, AND COOKING LAMB’S QUARTERS- AKA. QUELITES
LAMB'S QUARTERS (QUELITES) WITH SONOMA TELEME (MONTEREY
QUELITES OR LAMBS QUARTERS: RECIPE FOR THE WEEK
LAMBS QUARTERS RECIPES MARIQUITA FARM
LAMBS QUARTER QUELITES AND BEANS RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
LAMBS QUARTER RECIPES
QUELITES OR LAMBS QUARTERS: RECIPE FOR THE WEEK
SONORAN-STYLE AMARANTH GREENS (QUELITES) - TUCSON CSA
ALL ABOUT LAMBSQUARTERS, OR HUAUZONTLES - HOW TO COOK …
GARLIC LAMB’S QUARTERS RECIPE - EAT THE PLANET
LAMB'S QUARTERS (QUELITES) RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
LAMBSQUARTERS RECIPE TIPS TO MAKE HOME AND FAMILY RECIPES
ROASTED LAMBS QUARTERS RECIPE - EDIBLE WILD FOOD
LAMB’S QUARTERS QUICHE - EDIBLE COMMUNITIES
HOW TO FORAGE, STORE, AND COOK WITH LAMB’S QUARTERS
RECIPES > BEANS AND GRAINS > HOW TO MAKE QUELITES (SPINACH …
LAMB'S QUARTERS - AND HOW TO COOK GREENS - INHABITED KITCHEN
27 LAMBS QUARTER RECIPES IDEAS | RECIPES, WILD FOOD, EDIBLE
LAMB'S QUARTERS PESTO - WILD FOOD GIRL
QUELITES (SPINACH WITH BEANS) - BIGOVEN.COM
UNUSUAL GREENS, PART 7 – LAMB’S QUARTERS – SLICES OF BLUE SKY
BASIC LAMB’S QUARTERS: THREE WAYS FROM VEGETABLES FROM …
QUELITES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS.COM
LAMBS QUARTERS SALAD - FORAGER CHEF
LAMB'S QUARTERS...HELP PLEASE - HOME COOKING - CHOWHOUND
LAMB'S QUARTERS GNUDI RECIPE - EDIBLE WILD FOOD
LAMBS QUARTERS – WILD “SPINACH” THAT TOLERATES HOT WEATHER
QUELITES MEXICAN GREENS RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
You'll also love