MEDITERRANEAN POWER LENTIL SALAD
This healthy, satisfying Mediterranean lentil salad recipe with spinach, crunchy veggies, and a zippy lime dressing, is the ultimate power bowl! It's easy to make and even better the next day. Add pomegranate seeds (arils) when in season, or leave them out. Keep it vegan or add a sprinkle of creamy feta.
Provided by Suzy Karadsheh
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cook the lentils. In a saucepan, combine lentils with 3 cups of water and pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, and lower heat to medium-low. Let simmer until the lentils are fully tender (anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes depending on the kind of lentils used). Be sure to check and add water if lentils seem too dry during the cooking process (they should absorb a lot of the water. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked lentils with chopped onions, cucumbers, baby spinach, parsley, and pomegranate seeds (arils.) Give everything a gentle toss.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lime dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the lentil salad and toss to combine. Add a sprinkle of feta cheese to finish.
- Allow a few minutes for the flavors to meld before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 127.6 kcal, Sodium 15.3 mg, SaturatedFat 1.7 g, Carbohydrate 5 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 0.9 g, ServingSize 1 serving
LENTIL SALAD, 4 TRADITIONAL VARIATIONS
This recipe comes to me by way of "Olive Trees and Honey" by Gil Marks, a beautiful vegetarian world-view cookbook. See the bottom of the recipe, in the last few numbered steps, for the various traditions. The first version is Sephardic, a Jewish/Spanish variation, and is called "Salata de Lentejas."
Provided by Susiecat too
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Combine the lentils, water and bay leaf in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender, 20-30 minutes.
- While lentils cook, make the dressing: mix all ingredients except oil. Slowly add the oil while constantly whisking, to create an emulsion.
- Drain lentils, and while warm transfer lentils to a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over lentils, and toss gently to coat.
- Just prior to serving, add onion and tomato.
- Ethiopian Variation (Yemiser Selatta): Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 chopped red or yellow onions and 2-4 seeded and minced hot chile peppers, and saute until softened. Add to the salad.
- Greek Variation (Salata Faki): Add 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese, 1/3 cup chopped green olives, and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint.
- Yemenite Variation (Salata Adas): Add 1 cup tahini and increase the lemon juice to 1 cup and the parsley to 2 cups. Using a large mortar and pestle, potato masher, or a food processor, mash the combined salad into a paste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 496.9, Fat 25, SaturatedFat 3.5, Sodium 406.4, Carbohydrate 49.6, Fiber 24, Sugar 3.5, Protein 20.2
My favorite lentil salad recipe is made with cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, fresh mint and a zippy lemon dressing. Super simple to make, and so light and refreshing!
Provided by Ali
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine the lentils in a saucepan with 3 cups of water (or veggie broth) and stir to combine. Cook over medium-high heat until the broth reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and maintain the simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20-25 minutes depending on the type of lentils used. Use a strainer to drain and rinse the lentils in cold water for 1 minute until they are chilled, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, as the lentils are cooking, combine all of the lemon dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Add the cooked and chilled lentils, cucumber, red onion, mint and sun-dried tomatoes to a large bowl. Drizzle evenly with the lemon dressing and toss until evenly combined.
- Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3-4 days.
ITALIAN LENTIL SALAD
Provided by Giada De Laurentiis
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- For the Salad:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 to 20 minutes. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes. Place lentils and remaining salad ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- Place the lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly, until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 480, Fat 20 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 173 milligrams, Carbohydrate 61 grams, Fiber 14.5 grams, Protein 19 grams, Sugar 11 grams
- In a small saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in a small saucepan; cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and cover. Let stand 12 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Peel eggs; chop roughly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Add lentils, cucumber, parsley, and onion; season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat with dressing. Let cool to room temperature, or serve chilled, topped with chopped eggs.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 386 g, Fat 15 g, Protein 24 g
SIMPLE LENTIL SALAD
I adapted this recipe from my friend Marian and Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery recipes. This is a great refreshing salad in the Summer.
Provided by Sweetiebarbara
Yield 1 Lentil Salad, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Wash lentils.
- Add water to cover lentils, boil for 2 minutes.
- Add whole onion (studded with cloves), salt, and bay leaf.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Bring to boil and cover.
- Simmer gently (to prevent breaking) for about 15 minutes (until tender, do not overcook).
- Drain, remove bay leaf and onion, then cool.
- Add scallions and parsley.
- Whisk olive oil and lemon juice to make an emulsion.
- Pour over lentil mixture and toss.
- Chill and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133.2, Fat 4.9, SaturatedFat 0.7, Sodium 107.1, Carbohydrate 17.1, Fiber 6.3, Sugar 2.5, Protein 6.7
REFRESHING LENTIL SALAD
I tried to duplicate this light, refreshing salad that my Tunisian in-laws make. I put my own 'twist' on this with the addition of lemon zest. Using colorful vegetables makes for a light salad with a beautiful presentation. Garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs and serve with crusty baguettes.
Provided by TUNISIANSWIFE
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Pour the lentils into the water while stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape, about 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the lentils to a mixing bowl and stir in the garlic, seeded tomatoes, red onion, green bell pepper, and chile pepper. Add the juice of 1 lemon plus 1 teaspoon of the zest. Mix in the shredded carrot, olives, and cilantro.
- Season with salt and black pepper, and drizzle with olive oil; mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- Before serving, mix the salad again and add more lemon juice or olive oil if needed. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with sliced eggs.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 430.9 calories, Carbohydrate 44.8 g, Cholesterol 106 mg, Fat 19.4 g, Fiber 20.2 g, Protein 19.9 g, SaturatedFat 2.9 g, Sodium 343.7 mg, Sugar 5.3 g
More about "lentil salad 4 traditional variations recipes"
LENTIL SALAD - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
5/5 (8)Calories 271 per servingCategory Salad, Side Dish
- Add lentils to a medium saucepan with 4 cup of cold water.* Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until completely chilled. Taste and add additional seasonings, as needed. Serve cold.
MEDITERRANEAN LENTIL SALAD - THE HARVEST …
4.3/5 (4)Total Time 30 minsCategory SaladsCalories 180 per serving
- Add the lentils to a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then place lid on saucepan and reduce heat to low and simmer just until tender.
MOROCCAN LENTIL SALAD | FEASTING AT HOME
SEXY LENTIL SALAD | RECIPETIN EATS
EASY FRENCH LENTIL SALAD – A COUPLE COOKS
BEST LENTIL SALAD RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
LENTIL SALAD - SKINNYTASTE
THE BEST LENTIL SALAD - LEMON BLOSSOMS
LENTIL SALAD RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
25 BEST VEGETARIAN SALAD RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
LENTIL SALAD RECIPES
LENTIL SALAD - SIMPLE VEGAN BLOG
HEALTHY LENTIL SALAD RECIPES - EATINGWELL
LENTIL SALAD RECIPE - THE RECIPE CRITIC
LENTIL BEET SALAD | THE FULL HELPING
THE 20 BEST ETHIOPIAN RECIPES - GYPSYPLATE
HEALTHY SPANISH LENTIL SALAD RECIPE - VISIT SOUTHERN SPAIN
15 DELICIOUS LEFTOVER HAM RECIPES - CULINARY HILL
DELICIOUS GREEK LENTIL SALAD RECIPE WITH FETA CHEESE (FAKES SALATA)
You'll also love