LIVER & MASH
A classic British dish that makes the most of hearty, often-overlooked offal. Top your creamy mash with slices of melt-in-the-mouth liver and herb butter
Provided by Miriam Nice
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oven to 200C/180C/gas 6. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork, rub with oil and bake directly on the oven shelf for 1 hr 20 mins. Once cooked, leave for 10-15 mins or until cool enough to handle, then slice in half, scoop out the potato flesh and push it through a potato ricer or colander. Cover until needed. (I like to keep the potato skins for another day and stuff them with leftover mash, softened leeks and cheese, and bake until golden and bubbling.)
- Mix the herb butter ingredients together, spread out into a rough log shape on a piece of baking parchment, roll up and twist the ends tightly so it resembles a cracker. Put in the freezer for 10-15 mins to firm up.
- Heat the milk and butter for the mash in a saucepan until the butter has melted and the mixture starts to simmer. Pour this over the potato flesh, mash it and sprinkle over the nutmeg and some seasoning. Keep warm or reheat when serving.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Season the flour with pepper, then use it to very lightly dust the liver. Pour the oil into the hot pan, season the liver well with sea salt, then fry for no more than 2 mins each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Turn down the heat, but while the oil's still hot, add the pickled onions. As the onions start to caramelise, put them on the plate with the liver. Add the garlic to the pan, which by now should be sufficiently cooled enough not to burn it. Add a little oil to the pan if it looks dry. Once the garlic is starting to soften but not coloured at all, add 4-5 thin slices of the parsley butter and some of the resting juices from the liver plate. Turn off the heat and allow the butter to melt but not colour.
- Heap your mash onto two plates, top with the liver, sliced if you like, and the onions. Then generously drizzle over the herb butter. Serve with a crisp, mustardy salad.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 914 calories, Fat 65 grams fat, SaturatedFat 35 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 50 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 6 grams sugar, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 29 grams protein, Sodium 1.4 milligram of sodium
ABSOLUTE BEST LIVER AND ONIONS
This recipe will turn liver haters into converts. Very simple! The three things that will set your liver above all others are: 1) soak in milk, 2)turn liver as little as possible and 3) don't overcook!
Provided by JSHULER43
Categories Everyday Cooking
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Gently rinse liver slices under cold water, and place in a medium bowl. Pour in enough milk to cover. Let stand while preparing onions. (I like to soak up to an hour or two - whatever you have time for.) This step is SO important in taking the bitter taste of the liver out.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Separate onion rings, and saute them in butter until soft. Remove onions, and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. Drain milk from liver, and coat slices in the flour mixture.
- When the butter has melted, turn the heat up to medium-high, and place the coated liver slices in the pan. Cook until nice and brown on the bottom. Turn, and cook on the other side until browned. Add onions, and reduce heat to medium. Cook a bit longer to taste. Our family prefers the liver to just barely retain a pinkness on the inside when you cut to check. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 687 calories, Carbohydrate 74.2 g, Cholesterol 577.9 mg, Fat 20.7 g, Fiber 4.4 g, Protein 48.9 g, SaturatedFat 10.7 g, Sodium 308.7 mg, Sugar 11.2 g
SMOTHERED BEEF LIVER
If you like liver, you will LOVE this way of cooking it. Easy and delicious. If you don't like liver, try this and you might learn to LIKE it.
Provided by PATTY MAE
Categories 100+ Everyday Cooking Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft, but not browned. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon, and set aside. Slice the liver into serving size pieces, and remove any membrane.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the liver in the flour mixture, and place into the hot skillet. Brown the liver quickly on each side. Place reserved onions on top of liver pieces. Pour the tomato sauce and water over everything in the pan, lifting the liver pieces to let the tomato sauce coat the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the oregano over everything, and simmer over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Be careful not to overcook, or liver will be tough. I serve this with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 329.8 calories, Carbohydrate 23.1 g, Cholesterol 312.1 mg, Fat 14.7 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 25.9 g, SaturatedFat 3.1 g, Sodium 955 mg, Sugar 3.9 g
More about "liver mash recipes"
MAKE YOUR OWN LIVERMUSH – GARDEN & GUN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
HOW TO COOK LIVERMUSH (OR LIVER PUDDING) - JULIAS SIMPLY …
5/5 (4)Total Time 18 minsCategory BreakfastCalories 166 per serving
NORTHERN BELLE HEAD CHEF’S DELICIOUS LIVER AND MASH …
15 STUNNING BEEF LIVER RECIPES - THE RUSTY SPOON
Reviews 5Published 2022-01-15Category Dinner
- Beef Liver And Mashed Potatoes. This simple fried beef liver with chili served with creamy mashed potatoes is a great dish to warm you up during those cold winter months.
- Beef Liver And Onions With Bacon And Mushrooms. Tender beef livers served with onions, bacon and mushrooms make for a delicious and nutritious low-carb meal.
- Beef Liver Pilaf. Chopped liver with rice, pine nuts, and dried currants make for a really luxurious and healthy meal. For this recipe, the liver is chopped up into small cubes.
- Easy Beef Liver Pate. This tasty liver pate is keto-friendly and can be made in as little as 20 minutes. Pate can be used as a spread for your favorite low-carb crackers (if you’re on a keto diet), or on toast.
- Beef Liver Picado. This Catalonian-style beef liver Picado is delicious and full of interesting flavors. With strips of beef liver, sliced bacon, stewed tomatoes, and jalapenos, this recipe is packed full of delicious flavors.
- Liver And Wild Mushrooms On Toast. Delicious beef liver cooked in butter with wild mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme is best served with toasted sourdough bread.
- Venezuelan-Style Beef Liver And Onions. This Latin American-style beef and onion recipe is really easy to make and packed full of flavor. For this recipe, the liver is soaked in buttermilk before cooking.
- Fried Beef Liver With Red Peppers. This flavorful stir-fry recipe has a medley of vibrant and healthy vegetables that will make any liver-hater change their tune.
- Bacon And Apple Beef Liver Pate. This beef liver pate recipe really switches things up with the addition of apples and crispy bacon. The saltiness of the crispy bacon is complemented by the sweetness and slightly sharp flavor of the green apple.
- Beef Liver And Bacon Meatballs. Since not everybody is a huge fan of the taste of beef liver, or liver in general, it’s handy to know of ways to mask the flavor but still get the nutrients from it.
LAMB LIVER AND ONIONS WITH GRAVY - FREE EASY AND TASTY RECIPES
SAUTéED CHICKEN LIVERS WITH CAULI MASH - LOW-CARB RECIPE - DIET …
LIVER WITH MUSHROOMS, BACON AND MASH
LIVERMUSH SANDWICH - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
BEEF LIVER WITH ONIONS AND GRAVY – YUM TO THE TUM
VEAL LIVER WITH MASHED POTATOES | CHEF READER
OLD-FASHIONED LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE - MASHED.COM
THE BEST LIVER CLEANSE RECIPES FOR A HEALTHY LIVER FLUSH
BRAISED LIVER CASSEROLE WITH CREAMY MASH | EXPATWOMANFOOD.COM
LIVER & MASH – DAVE'S DELICIOUS DISHES
LIVER AND BACON WITH MASH AND PEAS | SIMPLY HOME COOKING
LOW-CARB CHICKEN LIVER IN MUSHROOM SAUCE - DIET DOCTOR
EASY LIVER HEALTHY CAULIFLOWER MASH - AMSETY
MOROCCAN FRIED LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
LIVER WITH BACON, ONIONS AND COLLARD GREENS SERVED WITH GARLIC ...
LIVER & MASH RECIPE
LIVER & MASH RECIPE | BY BBCGOODFOOD.COM | CRAFTLOG
OLD FASHIONED LIVER MUSH - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
MASH LIVER - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE: THE SECRET THAT MAKES IT IRRESISTIBLE!
CHICKEN LIVER WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS OVER MASHED POTATOES
HUGH FEARNLEY-WHITTINGSTAL’S LIVER, ONION AND MASH: RECIPES: FOOD
LIVER, BACON AND MASH - BIGOVEN.COM
LEFTOVER BEEF LIVER RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CALF'S LIVER, BACON, MASHED POTATO AND ONION RECIPE
LIVER AND ONIONS - BEST LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE - LGCM
LIVER AND MASH RECIPE - MEN'S HEALTH
LIVER AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS WITH MASHED POTATOES
LIVER & MASH RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
LIVER AND BACON WITH CELERIAC MASH RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
LIVER & MASH
LIVER & MASH | RECIPE | RECIPES, LIVER RECIPES, LIVER AND BACON
LIVER RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
LIVER RECIPES - BBC FOOD
LIVER AND BACON WITH ONION GRAVY - RECIPES - HAIRY BIKERS
HOW TO COOK OX LIVER (WITH RECIPES) - FOOD NEWS
LIVER AND ONIONS RECIPE - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
BRAISED LIVER AND ONIONS WITH BACON - KRUMPLI
HOW TO COOK LIVERMUSH - MY FORKING LIFE
CREAMY LAMB'S LIVER STROGANOFF RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
LIVER MUSH RECIPE | MRBREAKFAST.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook a liver and liver mash?Turn off the heat and allow the butter to melt but not colour. Heap your mash onto two plates, top with the liver, sliced if you like, and the onions. Then generously drizzle over the herb butter.
How do you make liver liver patties at home?Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Separate onion rings, and saute them in butter until soft. Remove onions, and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. Drain milk from liver, and coat slices in the flour mixture.
How to cook liver in a crock pot?Add the cooking oil and butter to a pan over a medium high heat. Sear the liver in this mix and then remove and set aside. Now throw in the diced bacon and Cook for 5 minutes. Add in the onions and cook on for a further 10 minutes. Pour over the stock then add the tomato puree and dried sage before returning the liver with any juices.
How do you cook liver and potatoes in milk?Instructions 1 Take the trimmed and sliced liver and soak in the 150ml of milk for an hour before cooking. 2 Sandwich the slices of bacon between two baking trays and bake in the oven at 180°C 350°F... 3 Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and then cook the potatoes until cooked. 4 Remove the liver from milk and pat dry.