EASY ENCHILADA SAUCE
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir flour and chili powder into hot oil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the flour is lightly brown in color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually stream water and tomato sauce into the flour while stirring until the flour is completely incorporated into a smooth mixture. Stir oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the liquid. Continue cooking until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes; season with salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 110.1 calories, Carbohydrate 6 g, Fat 9.7 g, Fiber 1.7 g, Protein 1.2 g, SaturatedFat 1.5 g, Sodium 484.6 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
MEDIUM HOT ENCHILADA SAUCE
It surprises me how expensive it is to purchase canned enchilada sauce in the store when it is so inexpensive and easy to make. I was also surprised at the few recipes here for red enchilada sauce. This is so easy and inexpensive that everyone can make it. If you like your sauce less spicy, just decrease the amount of chili powder and cumin or increase it if you like it even hotter.
Provided by CarrolJ
Yield 1 large pan of enchiladas, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Put all ingredients into a 2 quart saucepan and simmer, stirring frequently, until slightly thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and use to make your favorite enchiladas.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 88.4, Fat 3.9, SaturatedFat 0.5, Sodium 937.4, Carbohydrate 12.9, Fiber 2.6, Sugar 6, Protein 2.5
HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir flour and chili powder into the oil; cook and stir until smooth. Gradually stir tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar into the flour mixture, respectively. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 75.6 calories, Carbohydrate 6.1 g, Fat 5.8 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 0.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 135.1 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the peppers, onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, bouillon cube and some salt and pepper and cook until the spices darken and their flavors are released, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, stir to combine and cook it for another minute. Add the stock and stir to combine, then allow the liquid to thicken. Add the tomato sauce and 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is nice and thick and reduced by about a third, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly, then use an immersion blender to completely puree the sauce until smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer it to a blender to puree it; just make sure the sauce is cooled, as blending hot liquids is dangerous!)
- The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week and can also be frozen! Just reheat the sauce in a saucepan or skillet for whatever recipe calls for it.
This chunky, mild sauce is a great way to use up abundant veggies from the garden. It tastes great on Mexican dishes and scrambled eggs. -Rebecca Schwegman, St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6-1/2 cups.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Cut a shallow "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Using tongs, place tomatoes, a few at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds or just until skin at the "X" begins to loosen. Remove tomatoes and immediately drop into ice water. Pull off skins with tip of a knife; discard skins., In a Dutch oven, combine remaining ingredients. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1-2 hours or until mixture reaches desired consistency., Cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. If desired, return all to pan and heat through. Transfer to an airtight container; refrigerate up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 19 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 283mg sodium, Carbohydrate 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 1g protein.
- Cut chiles in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and any ribs. Set aside. In a small saucepan, bring chicken stock and the water to a simmer. Add chiles; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside. Fill a medium saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Cut an X in tomato bottoms; add to boiling water one at a time. Simmer until skin begins to peel. Transfer tomatoes to ice bath immediately; cool. When cool, peel and discard skins; chop, and set aside.
- Place poblano pepper directly onto the trivet of a gas stove over high heat. Turn pepper with tongs as each side blackens. (You may also place peppers on a baking pan and broil in the oven, turning as each side becomes charred.) Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let steam for about 15 minutes. Peel off blackened skin; discard. Cut pepper in half; discard seeds. Roughly chop pepper, and set aside along with any juices that have collected in the bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion, scallions, and garlic; saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, red chiles and liquid, poblanos and liquid, cumin, oregano, and salt. Stir to combine. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Transfer to the jar of a blender or a food processor; puree until smooth. Return to pan; keep hot if assembling enchiladas, or refrigerate up to 4 days.
More about "medium hot enchilada sauce recipes"
HOW TO MAKE ENCHILADA SAUCE - COOKIE AND KATE
4.8/5 Calories 133 per servingCategory Condiment
- This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!
- Once it’s ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.
- Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it. (The sauce will thicken some more as it cools.)
WHITE BEAN ENCHILADAS RECIPE | SKY VALLEY GREEN ENCHILADA
ENCHILADA SAUCE - COOKING WITH COIT
HOT-COLD ENCHILADA SALAD RECIPE | DR. MCDOUGALL
EASY SOUR CREAM ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE | GET ON MY PLATE
WEIGHT WATCHERS ENCHILADA SAUCE - LIFE IS SWEETER BY DESIGN
INSTANT POT VEGETABLE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE RECIPE - SKY VALLEY
DRY ENCHILADA SAUCE MIX RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
OLD EL PASO HOT ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD14.COM
ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE | DR. MCDOUGALL
HOW TO FIX ENCHILADA SAUCE THAT IS WAY TOO HOT - LEAFTV
MILD ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE — WHAT LISA COOKS
MEDIUM HOT ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - QUICK & EASY - A FEW …
TOMATILLO ENCHILADA SAUCE - SEEKING GOOD EATS
HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE - RETRO RECIPE BOX
ENCHILADAS SAUCE RECIPE - SEEKING GOOD EATS
THE BEST HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - SKINNYTASTE
SPICY ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - SHOW ME THE YUMMY
ENCHILADA SAUCE WATERBATH CANNING RECIPE – CANNINGCRAFTS
ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE | VITAMIX
RED ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - SHWETA IN THE KITCHEN
WHITE ENCHILADA SAUCE - SAVOR THE BEST
RECIPE: HOT HOUSE ENCHILADA SAUCE - RECIPELINK.COM
BEST ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - RECIPEMAGIK
EASY ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - MASHED
MEDIUM HOT ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
AUTHENTIC ENCHILADA SAUCE (NO TOMATO) - THRIFT AND SPICE
ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
SIMPLEST ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
RED ENCHILADA SAUCE | VALERIE'S KITCHEN
RED ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE [STEP-BY-STEP] - MEXICAN FOOD JOURNAL
TAPATIO HOT SAUCE™ BEEF ENCHILADAS - IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER
BUFFALO CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE - HOT ROD'S RECIPES
ENCHILADA SAUCE RECIPE | VITAMIX
LOW SODIUM GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE - THERESCIPES.INFO
ENCHILADA SAUCE - BIGOVEN
RED ENCHILADA SAUCE - SIMPLE VEGAN BLOG
HOMEMADE RED ENCHILADA SAUCE ~ THE RECIPE BANDIT
#15-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #low-protein #sauces #condiments-etc #vegetables #mexican #easy #dietary #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #low-in-something #tomatoes #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make easy enchilada sauce?Easy Enchilada Sauce Hogan's fav. Recipes Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir flour and chili powder into hot oil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the flour is lightly brown in color, 3 to 5 minutes.
How to make homemade chili sauce?Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir flour and chili powder into the oil; cook and stir until smooth. Gradually stir tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar into the flour mixture, respectively.
Can I reduce the chili powder in enchilada sauce?This is already a mild enchilada sauce, but you can reduce the chili powder by half to start and taste as you’re making it and adjust to your family’s taste. Can I use a 8 oz can of tomato sauce in place of the tomato paste?
How spicy is cumin enchilada sauce?It is a smoked jalapeno so cut down on that if you want it less spicy. The chili powder adds some heat but not as much as the chipotle. Cumin is not spicy, just really flavorful. Good luck! SALLY— September 7, 2020 @ 10:43 am Reply Best enchilada sauce I have ever eaten!!!! Michael Kane— August 30, 2020 @ 3:41 pm Reply