- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 1 cup sugar. Add 1 egg and beat until mixture is smooth. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture just until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Press mixture into bottom and sides of two 9-inch pie pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then remove from burner.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add beaten eggs to sugar mixture and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk mixture into milk. Return pan to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 5 minutes. Pour half of mixture into each pastry shell. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Chill before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 241 calories, Carbohydrate 35.9 g, Cholesterol 56.9 mg, Fat 8.8 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 5 g, SaturatedFat 5.2 g, Sodium 145.5 mg, Sugar 21.7 g
MILK TART WITH A BAKED CRUST
Subject to personal taste, this is in my opinion the original South African Milk tart. (Melktert) Baked crust and a filling that does not require baking.
Provided by Fatman
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Crust - Step 1 - Measure the flour, baking powder and salt in a jug and whisk until combined. Cream butter and sugar together with a beater attachment until pale and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until thoroughly incorporated. By hand add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Crust - Step 2 - Press the dough into a 25cm/10inch tart plate with a removable base. Make sure that it isn't too thick and dock with a fork. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 200C/400F and when ready bake the base for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through. You don't need to weight this down if you freeze the pastry. The pastry can be baked 1-2 days in advance and covered well and placed in an airtight container or box.
- Heat the milk with the cinnamon stick to just under boiling point.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the sugar, and then add the corn flour and flour.
- Pour the hot milk into this mixture, stirring rapidly.
- Return the mixture to the heat and cook, stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
- Keep stirring while it is cooking to prevent it from catching on the bottom of the pot and getting lumpy.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add the vanilla essence and butter.
- Stir well until the butter is melted.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tart crust.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
SOUTH AFRICAN MELKTERT (MILK TART)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Coat a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy. Sift in the cake flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and milk. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks using an electric mixer. Fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pie plate, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Continue to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the center is set when you gently jiggle the pie. Serve hot or cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 294.3 calories, Carbohydrate 46.8 g, Cholesterol 98 mg, Fat 8.5 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 7.9 g, SaturatedFat 4.9 g, Sodium 238.5 mg, Sugar 30.9 g
MILK TART WITH BROWN-SUGAR CRUST
- Crust: In a food processor, pulse brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour to combine. Add salt and remaining 1 cup flour; pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse just until mixture forms peasize clumps. Add egg yolk and ice water and pulse just until mixture starts to come together. Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and bring together in plastic to form a disk. Wrap and refrigerate until firm but still pliable, about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13-inch round. Press into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim edges flush with rim. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line dough with parchment; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 25 minutes, then remove parchment with beans. Bake until crust is golden and set throughout, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Filling: In a medium saucepan, heat milk and cream with vanilla pod and seeds until almost boiling. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together egg and granulated sugar until combined and thick, then whisk in flour, cornstarch, and salt. Reduce heat to medium, then slowly whisk egg mixture into cream mixture. Continue whisking until bubbles appear in center of pan, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Pour filling into cooled crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to overnight. Cut into wedges to serve.
This is a very popular South african Teatime treat/Dessert a plus in its favour is it can be made in advance.The traditional version is made with a Puff Pastry base but I find a short crust type base makes it much easier to cut and handle.The filling can also be put into Custard cups and served as a milk pudding.
Provided by Norahs Girl
Yield 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cream the margarine and sugar together and beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and salt and knead until a soft dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into a greased circular pie dish and bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes.
- Bring the milk and margarine to the boil.
- Cream the sugar, eggs, maizena, flour and vanilla essence.
- Add some of the hot milk to the creamed mixture, then pour it back into the pot and heat gently until it thickens.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and cool.
- Refrigerate until required and sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 413, Fat 16.8, SaturatedFat 10, Cholesterol 100, Sodium 171.9, Carbohydrate 57.6, Fiber 0.9, Sugar 30.2, Protein 8.4
More about "milk tart with a baked crust recipes"
PERFECT TART CRUST RECIPE - BAKING A MOMENT
THE BEST MILK TART RECIPE EVER! - BRIEFLY
SOUTH AFRICAN MILK TART RECIPE - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
A SOUTH AFRICAN CLASSIC: NO-BAKE FRIDGE MILK TART RECIPE
MILK TART: THE ORIGINAL 'MELKTERT' RECIPE - SAFFARAZZI
5/5 (3)Gender FemaleCategory DessertTotal Time 50 mins
MILK TART - LIFE LOVE AND SUGAR
TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN MILK TART – ‘OUMA SE MELKTERT’
MILK TARTS - BUTTER WITH A SIDE OF BREAD
BAKED MILK TART - YOUR RECIPE BLOG
ULTIMATE CLASSIC LEMON TART RECIPE - PRETTY. SIMPLE. SWEET.
TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN MILK TART (MELKTERT)
10 BEST NO BAKE MILK TART RECIPES | YUMMLY
MILK TART RECIPE - ESTER KOCHT
CREAMY LEMON BLUEBERRY PIE - CRAZY FOR CRUST
MUSHROOM, CARAMELIZED ONION AND POTATO TART | FOODTALK
MELKTERT (MILK TART) - TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
10 BEST BAKED CONDENSED MILK TART RECIPES | YUMMLY
MILK TART WITH A BAKED CRUST RECIPE - FOOD.COM - MASTERCOOK
OLD FASHIONED MILK TART - FOOD24
SOUTH AFRICAN NO-BAKE MILK TART - MELKTERT | ALL THAT'S JAS
EASY LEMON TART - MARSHA'S BAKING ADDICTION
MILK CHOCOLATE TART RECIPE - THAT SKINNY CHICK CAN BAKE
MILK CRUST RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
MILK TART WITH A BAKED CRUST RECIPE - FOOD.COM
MILK TART - SIMPLE AND PERFECT RECIPE! PHILOSOPHY OF YUM BLOG
MILK TART RECIPE | TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN DESSERT
SHORTCRUST BISCUIT-BASE MILK TART - FOOD24
SOUTH AFRICAN MILK TART 'MELKTERT' RECIPE | FEAST + WEST
TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN MILK TART - SALTY GINGER
AN EASY, DELICIOUS MILK TART RECIPE (EGG CUSTARD PIE)
NO-BAKE MILK TART - SALTY GINGER
BAKED MILK TART: A TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN DESSERT
MILK TART WITH A BAKED CRUST RECIPE - FOOD.COM
MILK TART (SOUTH-AFRICAN MELK TERT) - WITH A BLAST
SUMMER FRUIT TART (WITH FRANGIPANE) | FOODTALK
CREAMY MILK TART BAKED THE TRADITIONAL SOUTH AFRICAN WAY
EASY MEYER LEMON PIE WITH CONDENSED MILK - THERESCIPES.INFO
GRANDMA'S MILK TART - COOKING UP A STORM CULINARY EXPERIENCES
EASY NO BAKE MARSHMALLOW PIE - CRAZY FOR CRUST
MILK TART - IMMACULATE BITES
DAIRY FREE PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE WITH COCONUT MILK - DANNY'S BLOG
MILK TART RECIPE
#time-to-make #course #preparation #pies-and-tarts #tarts #desserts #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make the best milk tart (melktert)?This must be the ultimate baked Milk Tart (Melktert) recipe and you cannot get a more traditional Milk Tart Recipe. Cream butter and sugar. Add oil. Add the egg. Add essence (no earlier, no later). Finish off by adding flour, baking powder and salt. Boil milk and add butter.
What is a milk tart made of?A milk tart is similar to a vanilla custard pudding. It has a baked crust, and a filling that is very much dairy-based. If you’re looking to make an easy milk tart recipe, you can use puff pastry to make the crust.
Can you make an easy milk tart ahead of time?The cooked filling for the easy milk tart recipe is scented with vanilla and cinnamon and is smooth and creamy without being overly sweet. The pastry can be made ahead and frozen for up to 6 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before use.
What is the best way to make short crust pastry custard?Method 1: Use an uncooked short crust pastry base and very liquid filling of milk, eggs and condensed milk that is baked once only Method 2: Use a blind baked short crust pastry base and cooked filling that is baked again to set the custard.