MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE
Here in the South, sweet potato pie is a staple among many despite 100's of variations. This is the recipe that both my mom and grandma have used for years. Even my picky husband marks this as his favorite pie!
Provided by Faith N
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Press the pie pastries into two 9-inch pie dishes.
- Place sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and let cool.
- Beat potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, margarine, vanilla extract, lemon extract, cloves, and allspice together in a bowl until smooth; pour into the prepared crusts.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pies are set in the middle, 40 to 60 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 256.9 calories, Carbohydrate 36.1 g, Cholesterol 35.3 mg, Fat 11.3 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Protein 3.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 183.4 mg, Sugar 20.5 g
SWEET POTATO PIE
- Pre-measure all ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour and salt, together.
- Using the rubbing method (Fraisage), mix in chilled butter into the flour mixture, until the dough looks like course lumps.
- Inside the bowl, make a "well" in the center of the dough.
- Pour only he water into the center of the "well".
- Using a plastic dough scraper, mix ingredients together.
- Dump onto lightly floured surface.
- Pull dough together.
- Half the dough with your hands and put one half on top of the other half and press down. Note: Your are encouraging more layers with this step.
- Press down and form into a disc.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic.
- Place in refrigerator for 4-24 hours. Note: This gives the dough time to rest.
- After the dough has rested, remove from refrigerator and plastic wrap.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour.
- Place dough on dusted surface and cut dough in half. Note: If you fo not need 2 pie crusts or a top crust, place the unused half back in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. If it will be longer than 2 days, freeze the dough for later use.
- Dust a rolling pin with flour.
- Begin to roll the pie dough into a circular shape. Rotating dough a half turn after each roll. Note: If dough is sticking to the rolling pin or counter top, add a small amount of flour to these surfaces, and continue.
- If dough gets too warm, refrigerate for 5 minutes, remove and continue rolling out.
- Roll dough to 1/4" thick.
- Place rolling pin at one end of the dough edge.
- Pick up edge of dough and wrap over top of the rolling pin. Continue to roll pin, so that the dough is completely wrapped around it. Note: This is to prevent the dough from tearing, during transfer.
- Pick up rolling pin on either side and transfer dough to pie plate.
- Starting at the edge of pie plate furthest away from you, lay dough edge over the plate edge, so dough slightly hangs over the side.
- Continue to lay the dough over the pie plate, by continuously rolling the pin toward you.
- Gently press dough into the plate by using one hand to lift outer edges of dough, while using the other to lightly press the dough into the plate.
- With a paring knife, cut the excess over-hang of dough along the outside edge of the pie plate.
- If desired, egg wash the edges of the pie crust for a shiny, golden brown color.
- Line inside of pie plate (over the dough), with parchment paper, with a layer of foil on top.
- Fill the foiled surface with pie weights/beans.
- Place in pre-heated oven and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove paper, foil and beans from pan and "dock" (poke with a fork) the bottom of the pie crust.
- Wrap crust edges in foil or use a pie shield, in order to prevent the top edges from burning.
- Bake for 15 minutes longer. Note: This "drys out" the crust, so as to not have a soggy crust in the finished product.
- Let cool completely.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash potatos and cut ends off.
- Pierce potatoes with fork.
- Rub down with butter.
- Place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake until fork pokes throughout potato with no resistance.
- Let cool.
- Deskin potatoes.
- Place bare potatoes in a large bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat potatoes on high speed, until smooth.
- Pour through fine, mesh sieve. Note: This will ensure a lump-free base and extract fibrous hairs, within the potatoes.
- Place mashed potatoes back into large bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beating well between each one.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat well.
- Add in vanilla and cream. Beat until light and fluffy. Note: It should resemble cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pie crust.
- Level custard mixture.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Note: If desired, use the dough scraps for shape cut-outs and place on top of raw pie and brush with egg wash.
- Move top rack to the upper, bottom-half of the oven. Note: This is to prevent over browning of the crust and cracking in the custard.
- Cover edges of pie crust with foil/pie shield.
- Place pie in oven, on top rack.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Note: The edges of the custard should be set, with a slightly jiggly center.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire rack.
- When ready to serve, garnish with flavored whipped cream. Or, cover with a toasted, sugared pecan topping.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or cover will and leave on counter top for 2 days.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip cream to stiff peaks using the wire whisk attachment.
- Beat in bourbon. Note: DO NOT over whip.
- Put cream in pastry bag with a 1M tip and garnish pie with topping.
MY MAMA'S SWEET POTATO PIE
This is the recipe my mother gave me for her delicious sweet potato pie. Because it is a "Mama" recipe, the measures are approximate and vary based on your taste and the natural sweetness and moisture of the sweetpotatoes
Provided by Chelley-Chelle
Yield 2-3 pies, 16 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- preheat oven to 350.
- dock thawed crust with a fork all over, bake for 10 minutes or until golden, set aside.
- Boil or bake potatoes until soft.
- peel potatoes while still warm and whip with a hand mixer to remove the strings.
- add butter, then mix.
- add sugar next.
- then add remaining ingredients.
- taste for sweetness.
- and pour into crusts.
- bake for 20-30 minutes or until set.
MY MOTHER'S SWEET POTATO PIE
- Cook sweet potatoes.
- Pour in large bowl and add butter, sugar,milk and mix.
- Add flavoring, seasoning and raw eggs.
- Put in blender until smooth.
- Pour into 2 pie crusts, cook for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 535.8, Fat 28.3, SaturatedFat 17.1, Cholesterol 177, Sodium 299.3, Carbohydrate 64.8, Fiber 3.5, Sugar 46.5, Protein 7.6
MY MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE
Mom's sweet potato pies are a vital part of my family's Thanksgiving. This is a recipe she inherited from her mother. The blender incorporates ingredients so well that this makes a creamy pie beyond belief. Mom prefers her sweet potato pie without any spices at all, but I usually add pinch or two of the spices listed below. Also, in lieu of the glaze, we opt for a creamy refrigerated whipped topping, but I've included glaze directions as an option.
Provided by Fauve
Yield 2 pies
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place pie shells in 350°F oven for about 5 minutes, or till just barely brown; set aside.
- Place remaining pie ingredients in blender container and whirl till well-blended.
- Pour equally into the 2 pie shells.
- Place in 350°F oven; bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or till filling is set.
- (Note: if crust begins to get too brown during cooking, use strips of aluminum foil along the crust ridges to keep from over-browning) While pie is cooking, glaze may be prepared: Place ingredients for glaze into mixing bowl and blend with electric mixer until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over pies while they are still warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2024.2, Fat 97.5, SaturatedFat 26.3, Cholesterol 248, Sodium 1493.8, Carbohydrate 257.3, Fiber 14.9, Sugar 120.2, Protein 31.1
MAMA'S FAMOUS SWEET POTATO PIE
- Puree all ingredients in a blender.
- I have to do this in 2 batches to fit all the ingredients.
- Pour each batch into a large container with a pouring spout (I use a plastic juice pitcher).
- Pour filling into a uncooked pie crust.(This recipe will make 2 deep dish pies).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven that has been preheated for approximately 1 hour.
- I cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent over browning. I remove it after 30 minutes and rotate the pies so they cook evenly.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 302, Fat 15.9, SaturatedFat 9.7, Cholesterol 84.3, Sodium 329.1, Carbohydrate 37.1, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 27.5, Protein 4.2
JO MAMA'S SWEET POTATO PIE
I have been on a quest to find the best (at least my family's favorite) sweet potato pie. This has been the reigning champion to all since 1992. At Thanksgiving, I cook it and a new contender each year. I am adding strong contenders to my cookbook as well.
Provided by SharleneW
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Blend sweet potatoes with butter.
- Add eggs, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon; stir in milk.
- Turn into pastry shell and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
More about "my moms sweet potato pie recipes"
SWEET POTATO PIE | LIKE MY MAMA USED TO MAKE IT | EASY …
Author BeautifulTooCreationsWithDonnaViews 494K
MY MOMS SWEET POTATO PIE | RECIPE | MISSISSIPPI SWEET POTATO …
SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE PASSED DOWN BY GENERATIONS
HOMEMADE SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE - THERESCIPES.INFO
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE | RECIPE | SWEET POTATO PIE, SWEET POTATO …
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE - SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPES
MOM MARILYN'S SWEET POTATO PIE - BIGOVEN.COM
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE - KHIRAYA.LIFE
MY MOMS SWEET POTATO PIE | PINTEREST
SWEET POTATO PIE - MOM'S BISTRO
MY MOMS SWEET POTATO PIE | RECIPE | SWEET POTATO PIE, SWEET …
THE BEST EVER SWEET POTATO PIE IS ALWAYS MOM’S…..
HOW TO MAKE MY MOM'S BEST HOMEMADE SWEET POTATO …
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE | RECIPESTY
MY MOM’S SWEET POTATO PIE - YUMMY RECIPES
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE - TRIED AND TASTY
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE
MY MOMS SWEET POTATO PIE | RECIPE | SWEET POTATO PIE, POTATO …
GRANDMA’S OLD FASHIONED SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE
MY MOMS SWEET POTATO PIE | RECIPE | MISSISSIPPI SWEET POTATO …
MOM'S BEST SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE
MY MOM’S SWEET POTATO PIE - YUMMY RECIPES - NEWSRONIAN
SWEET POTATO PLANTAIN PIE - THERESCIPES.INFO
MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE - YOUTUBE
SHOULD SWEET POTATO PIE BE REFRIGERATED? [COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER]
MOM’S SWEET POTATO PIE - A DASH OF SOUL
MOM'S TWO CRUST POTATO PIE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
MAGIC JOHNSON'S MOM'S SWEET POTATO PIE - COOKING IN A CRAZY …
MONK'S CHAI SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE (NON-VEGAN)
SWEET POTATO PIE - MOM'S BISTRO
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook sweet potatoes for a sweet potato pie?Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Press the pie pastries into two 9-inch pie dishes. Place sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and let cool.
What is in a sweet potato custard pie?Heavy Cream and Eggs: The sweet potato custard filling is set with cream and eggs, which make the pie filling smooth and silky. Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are the spice trio that lend this pie its warm, autumnal flavor. It’s just lightly spiced so that the sweet potato flavor can shine through.
How long do you cook sweet potatoes in the oven?Roast in preheated oven until sweet potatoes are very soft and offer no resistance when pierced with a fork, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Rob Culpepper; Food Stylist: Chelsea Zimmer; Assistant Prop Stylist: Josh Hoggle
How do you puree sweet potatoes?Peel sweet potatoes with your hands (the skin should be loose and peel off easily) and break them up into large chunks, discarding the skins. Rob Culpepper; Food Stylist: Chelsea Zimmer; Assistant Prop Stylist: Josh Hoggle Place sweet potato chunks in the bowl of a food processor. Process until pureed and smooth, about 45 seconds.