THE BEST CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
A super flavorful, thick, and creamy chicken stew is filled with tender chicken and veggies. Soft and pillowy dumplings are dropped into the stew and steamed to perfection! Some of the best comfort food!
Provided by Susie Weinrich
Number Of Ingredients 23
- Start with a large heavy bottom pot that has a lid (like an enameled cast iron pot or Dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil. Once it is hot add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for about 7-8 minutes, stirring often, so the onions are nice and soft.
- Stir in the onion powder, turmeric, salt, pepper, and chicken base, so it coats the veggies.
- Pour in the chicken broth, water and add the bay leaf. Give everything a good stir.
- Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, until the carrots and celery are just fork tender.Go ahead and make the dumpling dough at this point and set aside until the stew is done simmering. See instructions below.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the pot to a gentle boil. Drop tablespoons full of the dumpling dough into the simmering broth. PRO TIP: Resist the urge to stir the dumplings!!!! They will have a better texture if you let them simmer/steam.
- Once all the dumplings are in the pot, lower the heat to medium-low and pop the lid on. Let the dumplings lightly simmer for 15 minutes without disturbing!
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mash together the flour and butter (Beurre Manié) until it is combined. Set aside.
- Remove the lid and pour in the heavy cream and frozen peas. Lightly stir in the flour/butter thickener. Let it simmer over low heat for another 5 minutes. The heat will thaw the peas and thicken the stew.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 604 kcal, Carbohydrate 45 g, Protein 26 g, Fat 35 g, SaturatedFat 18 g, TransFat 1 g, Cholesterol 135 mg, Sodium 1919 mg, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 6 g
THE BEST CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
Homemade chicken and dumplings from scratch harken back to my childhood and chilly days when we devoured those cute little balls of dough swimming in hot, rich broth. It's one of those types of soup you'll want to eat again and again. -Erika Monroe-Williams, Scottsdale, Arizona
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (3 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 25
- In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, 1 piece at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan., Add onion, carrots and celery to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until blended. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear., For dumplings, in a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (do not overmix). Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet; set aside., Remove chicken from stockpot; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from soup. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Using 2 forks, coarsely shred meat into 1- to 1-1/2-in. pieces; return to soup. Cook, covered, on high until mixture reaches a simmer., Drop dumplings on top of simmering soup, a few at a time. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Gently stir in cream, parsley and thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 470 calories, Fat 24g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 104mg cholesterol, Sodium 892mg sodium, Carbohydrate 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 32g protein.
OLD-FASHIONED CHICKEN "N" DUMPLINGS
- For the chicken: In a large pot, cover the chicken with water and add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer until cooked through, about 40 minutes. Let cool, then remove the chicken meat from the bones. Add the shredded chicken back to the broth and reserve.
- For the dumplings: Add the flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt to a mixing bowl and mix well. Add the milk and egg and mix well with a fork. Bring the reserved chicken broth to a simmer. Drop the dough into the broth by the spoonful and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Add some roux and cook until the broth has thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken "n" dumplings covered with gravy.
FARM-STYLE CHICKEN AND DROP DUMPLINGS
- For the soup: Place the chicken pieces and the backbones in a large pot and cover with 16 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and poach the chicken until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken pieces and set aside to cool; discard the backbones. Once the chicken cools enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones, shred and roughly chop; set aside. Strain the chicken broth and keep warm.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat, and stir in the carrots, garlic, celery, leeks, onions and poultry seasoning. Cook the vegetables until they begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes, then stir in the flour.
- Add the reserved chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the soup thickens slightly and vegetables soften, about 25 minutes. Stir in the shredded chicken and bring the soup back to a low simmer.
- For the dumplings: In a medium bowl, add the flour. Use two butter knives to cut in the milk, butter, baking powder, salt and eggs. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. The dough should be moist but not too wet.
- Pull the dough into 1/4-cup pieces and place directly in the simmering soup; cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Old fashioned stick to your ribs chicken and dumplings recipe. The secret is using bone in chicken to make your stock. The bones help flavor the stock and give it richness.
Provided by staceywatts
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Place the chicken breasts into the pot, skin-side-down. Pour in the chicken broth, and enough water to just cover the breasts. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken begins to fall off the bone, about 1 hour. Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the pot. Remove and discard the skin and bone; allow the meat to cool, then tear apart into bite sized chunks.
- While the chicken breast are simmering, prepare the dumpling dough by whisking the flour, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt together in a mixing bowl. Work the vegetable shortening in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the middle and pour in the milk. Stir together until a stiff dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth. Form the dough into 12 pieces, and set aside.
- After you've shredded the chicken, stir the cream of chicken soup, 2 cups water, salt, pepper, and shredded chicken back into the pot. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat. Drop the dumplings into the simmering broth one at a time to keep them from sticking together. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the dumplings have puffed and are no longer doughy in the center, 10 to 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 750.3 calories, Carbohydrate 57.7 g, Cholesterol 132 mg, Fat 34.4 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 49.5 g, SaturatedFat 10.6 g, Sodium 2206.1 mg, Sugar 4.2 g
SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- In a heavy pot with a lid place the chicken, onion, lemon, salt, pepper, water, bay leaf and thyme. Simmer all over low heat until tender, about 1 hour.
- Let chicken cool slightly in pot, then remove and take the meat off of the bones. Discard the bones and skin and skim excess fat off the broth if desired. Discard the onion, lemon and bay leaf. If desired, wash out pot well. Return broth and chicken pieces to the pot. Simmer over low heat while making the dumplings.
- To Make Dumplings: In a medium mixing bowl, cut shortening into the flour and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup water (more if needed) to form a soft dough. Roll out dough on a floured surface, with a rolling pin, until very thin. Cut into 1 inch wide strips using a pizza cutter or knife. Tear off 1 inch long pieces from these strips and drop into simmering broth and chicken meat. Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid off, then 10 minutes more with the lid on. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 845.9 calories, Carbohydrate 40.9 g, Cholesterol 204.3 mg, Fat 49.2 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 56.2 g, SaturatedFat 13.8 g, Sodium 657.9 mg, Sugar 1.1 g
CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS -NORTHERN STYLE (DOUGH BALLS, NOT FLAT N
This is my mom's recipe, one of the very few comfort foods I still insist on when we get together. I live in the south now and their version of Chix & dumplings is with noodles, blah! I double up the dumplings portion of this recipe, but that's because it's my favorite part and I could eat just them and be happy as a clam. I've tried making many other recipes, trying to cut out a couple of ingredients, but it is never as scrumptious. Make enough to have leftovers. Be gentle to the dumplings and they can survive another heating or 2. I've even frozen them before and some survived.
Provided by Chef C.S.
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 35-40 dumplings, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Combine in a large dutch oven or covered pot, the skinned chicken, the chicken broth + 3 or more cups of hot water (enough to completely cover the chicken). Add celery, onion, parsley, bouillon cubes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours (depending on the size of the pieces) or until tender enough to pull of the bone.
- Remove chicken and let stand until cool enough to handle. Pull meat off bones and add meat back to pot.
- If you want your broth to be gravy-like (recommended, but optional): this doesn't need to be exact:.
- For each cup of broth, blend 1 T flour and 3 T water or milk to form smooth paste.
- Gradually stir this into broth.
- Add carrots and return soup to a simmer.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add parsley.
- With 2 knives, scissor fashion, cut in the shortening until it looks like very coarse corn meal.
- With fork, lightly mix in milk to form soft dough, stirring as little as possible. Be sure not to add too much milk so you can roll the dumplings into balls in your hands.
- Turn broth down to a simmer.
- Drop by tablespoon size or slightly larger, into the stew.
- Simmer 1 side of dumplings about 12 minutes, uncovered.
- Gently turn over with a spoon as many as possible and simmer another 15 minutes, COVERED.
- Serve immediately, being gentle with the dumplings.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 823.6, Fat 55.1, SaturatedFat 15.3, Cholesterol 173.4, Sodium 1482.7, Carbohydrate 31.5, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 3, Protein 48.2
- Place the minced cabbage in a bowl, add the salt and toss lightly to mix evenly. Let sit 30 minutes, then grab handfuls of the cabbage and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Return the cabbage to the bowl, add the ground pork, minced Chinese garlic chives or leek mixture, the 2 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine, ginger root and 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch. Stir vigorously to combine evenly.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of a dumpling skin. Moisten the edge of the skin with a little water. Fold skin over to make a semicircle (opened edges should be up). Use the thumb and index finger to form small pleats along one edge. Press the other edge against it to seal. Or simply press the edges together, without the pleats. Arrange the finished dumplings on a cookie sheet that has been dusted with remaining cornstarch.
- In a large pot, heat 3 quarts of water until boiling. Add half the dumplings, stir and return to the boil. Let boil for 5 minutes, then remove with a handled strainer or a slotted spoon. Bring the water back to a boil, add the remaining dumplings and cook as above.
- Mix the 1/2-cup soy sauce and chopped garlic to make a dipping sauce.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 749, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 120 grams, Fat 14 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 32 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 2352 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
CHICKEN AND FLUFFY DUMPLINGS
This is an old-fashioned northern style recipe. Very homemade, very easy and very tasty. I can't remember where I got it, but I believe it was from one of those little cookbooks you pick up in the checkout line at the grocery store.
Provided by Deely
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large pot.
- Simmer covered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Skim off fat.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot chicken and boiling stock.
- Cover tightly and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, Do Not Lift Cover.
- Simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until dumplings are dry and fluffy.
- Arrange dumplings and chicken on a platter.
- Strain broth.
- Combine flour and water, blend till smooth.
- Bring 4 cups reserved broth to boiling, add flour mixture.
- Bring to boil and cook till thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken and dumplings.
More about "northern chicken and dumplings recipes"
OLD-FASHIONED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE
OLD FASHIONED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - THE STAY AT …
NANNY’S CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - SOUTH YOUR MOUTH
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
CHICKEN N DUMPLINGS - RENEE'S KITCHEN ADVENTURES
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SOUTHERN-STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS | EMERILS.COM
THE ULTIMATE CHICKEN DUMPLINGS | CANADIAN LIVING
10 BEST SOUTHERN CHICKEN DUMPLINGS RECIPES | YUMMLY
GRANDMA’S SOUTHERN-STYLE CHICKEN N’ DUMPLINGS RECIPE
HOMEMADE SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - JENNIFER COOKS
SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLING RECIPE
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS WITH FLAT DUMPLINGS
EASY CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE | CONFESSIONS OF A NORTHERN …
EASY SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN N DUMPLINGS
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - FOODTASTIC MOM
10 BEST SOUTHERN CHICKEN DUMPLINGS RECIPES - YUMMLY
SOUTHERN-STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS WITH CANNED BISCUITS ...
NORTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS …
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS, EASY RECIPE - THE SOUTHERN LADY …
OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
OLD-FASHIONED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS (COMFORT FOOD!) - GONNA WANT …
CLASSIC SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - THE GRACIOUS WIFE
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS – SMITTEN KITCHEN
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - KEVIN IS COOKING
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE - SAVORY WITH SOUL
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS THE BLACK WAY
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - MASTERS FOODIE
NORTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS | RECIPE | CHICKEN AND …
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS IN THE DUTCH HOUSE - THE LIT KITCH
RECIPE: NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE - DELISHABLY
OLD-FASHIONED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS (+VIDEO) - THE COUNTRY COOK
EASY SOUTHERN-STYLE CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS RECIPE
EASY SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - OLD-FASHIONED COMFORT FOOD
You'll also love