OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS
These are the ones my grandmother used to make: warm, flaky, apple-y sweet and drizzled with a sauce that bakes right with them. These are not difficult to make, just a little time-consuming. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Provided by MICKI WOOD
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a large rectangle, about 24 by 16 inches. Cut into 6 square pieces. Place an apple on each pastry square with the cored opening facing upward. Cut butter into 8 pieces. Place 1 piece of butter in the opening of each apple; reserve remaining butter for sauce. Divide brown sugar between apples, poking some inside each cored opening and the rest around the base of each apple. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the apples.
- With slightly wet fingertips, bring one corner of pastry square up to the top of the apple, then bring the opposite corner to the top and press together. Bring up the two remaining corners, and seal. Slightly pinch the dough at the sides to completely seal in the apple. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place in prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine water, white sugar, vanilla extract and reserved butter. Place over medium heat, and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Carefully pour over dumplings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Place each apple dumpling in a dessert bowl, and spoon some sauce over the top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 899 calories, Carbohydrate 147.8 g, Cholesterol 40.7 mg, Fat 35.4 g, Fiber 6.5 g, Protein 4.5 g, SaturatedFat 14.7 g, Sodium 434.2 mg, Sugar 115.4 g
You can't go wrong with a classic Betty Crocker recipe, and this one is no exception. This timeless dessert is the epitome of fall-homemade flaky pastry is wrapped around a hot and bubbly apple and a warm brown sugar glaze is poured on top for an extra sweet finish. While these dumplings are sublime on their own, we wouldn't be opposed to eating these crispy apple treats with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt. Cut in the butter, using a pastry blender or fork, until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle with the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing well with fork until all flour is moistened. Gather the dough together, and press it into a 6x4-inch rectangle.
- Lightly sprinkle flour over a cutting board or countertop. Cut off 1/3 of the dough with a knife; set aside. On the floured surface, place 2/3 of the dough. Flatten dough evenly, using hands or a rolling pin, into a 14-inch square; cut into 4 squares. Flatten the remaining 1/3 of the dough into a 14x7-inch rectangle; cut into 2 squares. You will have 6 squares of dough.
- Remove the stem end from each apple. Place the apple on a cutting board. Using a paring knife, cut around the core by pushing the knife straight down to the bottom of the apple and pull up. Move the knife and make the next cut. Repeat until you have cut around the apple core. Push the core from the apple. (Or remove the cores with an apple corer.) Peel the apples with a paring knife.
- Place 1 apple on the center of each square of dough. In a small bowl, mix the raisins and nuts. Fill the center of each apple with raisin mixture. Moisten the corners of each square with small amount of water; bring 2 opposite corners of dough up over apple and press corners together. Fold in sides of remaining corners; bring corners up over apple and press together. Place dumplings in a 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the brown sugar and 1 1/3 cups water to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently. Carefully pour the sugar syrup around the dumplings.
- Bake about 40 minutes, spooning syrup over apples 2 or 3 times, until crust is browned and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm or cooled with syrup from pan.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 830, Carbohydrate 141 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Fat 5, Fiber 3 g, Protein 6 g, SaturatedFat 16 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 600 mg, Sugar 104 g, TransFat 1 g
GRANDMA'S APPLE DUMPLINGS
The aroma of these melt-in-your-mouth dumplings reminds me of my grandma's old-fashioned kitchen. All of her cooking and baking was wonderful!
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Set aside. , For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in milk, mixing lightly with a fork until a soft dough forms. Shape into a ball. , On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 18x12-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares. Place an apple in the center of each square; dot with butter. Bring corners of pastry up to top of apple; press edges to seal. , Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce into pan around dumplings. Brush dumplings with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. , Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until light golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 716 calories, Fat 29g fat (10g saturated fat), Cholesterol 19mg cholesterol, Sodium 610mg sodium, Carbohydrate 109g carbohydrate (72g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE
For a comforting, warm treat, try these Apple Dumplings! They are a taste of Grandma's house right from the comfort of your own home!
Provided by Janelle
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 400*F
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with oil. Set aside
- In a bowl, using a pastry blender, mix flour, salt, baking powder and butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add milk ¼ cup at a time, mixing well with a rubber spatula to bind ingredients.
- Lightly / medium flour a work surface and place dough in the middle. Roll out dough into a 10 x 14 inch rectangle. Think cinnamon rolls.
- Grate apples and place on top of rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle apples with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ cup white sugar.
- Gently roll up dough along the long end - like you would a cinnamon roll. Dough is more like a thick pie crust than a soft cinnamon roll dough. This makes it harder to roll, not to mention this bulky apple layer.
- Once dough is rolled up into a tight roll, cut like cinnamon rolls, cut in 1 ¼ inch slices, like cinnamon rolls.
- Place apple dumplings into a prepared casserole dish, filling the dish entirely. Don't overpack, allowing room for rolls to gently expand during cooking.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water, 2 cups brown sugar, ¼ cup butter and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon to a simmer.
- Pour over apple dumplings.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 386 calories, Carbohydrate 60 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 41 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 16 grams fat, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, SaturatedFat 10 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, Sodium 395 milligrams sodium, Sugar 42 grams sugar, TransFat 1 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams unsaturated fat
GRANDMA'S APPLE DUMPLINGS
My grandmother is famous for this recipe which has been a family favorite for generations. She will only make it during the fall, but I have a hard time sticking to the seasonal stipulation because they are so darn good! Grandma swears that Jonathan apples are the only decent apples to use in this recipe, but any other tart apple would work just as well. Enjoy!
Provided by quirkycook
Yield 8 dumplings, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Creating the pie dough:.
- Blend flour, salt, and shortening together using a pastry cutter until the mixture is about the texture of corn meal.
- Add 1/2 cup of ice cold water and mix the dough (I find using my hands for this is easiest). If dough is too dry, add a bit more water but sparingly.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into eight squares.
- Filling the dumplings:.
- Place one apple on a square of pie dough. Fill the apple with sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon, and dot with butter.
- Bring corners of pie dough to top of apple and pinch shut.
- Place finished dumplings in a 9x13 greased pan.
- Bring to boil sugar, water, and butter in a sauce pan. Boil for two minutes.
- Pour syrup mixture around the dumplings.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Baste the dumplings with the syrup from the pan every 5 to 7 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 616.3, Fat 32, SaturatedFat 10.2, Cholesterol 15.3, Sodium 335.4, Carbohydrate 79.8, Fiber 4.6, Sugar 39.5, Protein 5.3
MOM'S APPLE DUMPLINGS
"My mother and her twin sister used to make these dumplings together when they were younger," writes Gina Hill of Ottawa, Kansas. "Now my mom and I make them for many special family occasions.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 18
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; add butter and food coloring if desired. Stir until butter is melted; set aside. , For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. , On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares. Place an apple in the center of each square. , Combine 2 teaspoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter. Bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. , Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Pour syrup over dumplings; sprinkle with remaining sugar. , Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 794 calories, Fat 43g fat (18g saturated fat), Cholesterol 68mg cholesterol, Sodium 642mg sodium, Carbohydrate 98g carbohydrate (63g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE RAISIN DUMPLINGS
- Make filling:
- Toss together all filling ingredients.
- Make dough:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar into a bowl. Blend in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1/2 cup milk and stir with a fork just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a floured work surface and gently knead 7 to 8 times, or until a soft dough forms (do not overwork dough, or dumplings will be tough). Roll out dough on a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a rough 16- by 11-inch rectangle (about 3/4 inch thick). Trim to a 15- by 10-inch rectangle. Halve dough lengthwise, then cut crosswise in thirds (to form 6 squares).
- Fill dumplings:
- Divide filling among centers of squares. Bring all 4 corners together over filling and pinch together to seal. Transfer dumplings to a well-buttered 13- by 9- by 2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish and arrange about 1 inch apart. Brush tops with remaining 1/2 tablespoon milk and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar.
- Make syrup and bake dumplings:
- Bring cider and brown sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour syrup around dumplings, then bake dumplings until golden brown and syrup is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
GRANDMA'S APPLE DUMPLINGS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Wrap each apple piece in one crescent roll. Place seam side down in an 8x8 baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- In medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and orange juice; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over rolls.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and apples are tender. Spoon sauce over rolls when serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 315.1 calories, Carbohydrate 37.4 g, Cholesterol 30.5 mg, Fat 17.6 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 2.4 g, SaturatedFat 8.8 g, Sodium 302.4 mg, Sugar 27 g
More about "old fashioned apple dumplings recipes"
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - CLEVERLY SIMPLE
5/5 (2)Total Time 47 minsCategory DessertCalories 667 per serving
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.3/5 (28)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory DessertCalories 451 per serving
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - MY BAKING ADDICTION
Reviews 130Calories 568 per servingCategory Miscellaneous
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
5/5 (6)Category DessertCuisine AmericanCalories 683 per serving
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - OLIVER'S MARKETS
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - MEANINGFUL HOMESCHOOLING
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | CHICKENS IN THE ROAD
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | RECIPE - PINTEREST.COM
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - SKINNY DAILY RECIPES
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - BROWN EYED BAKER
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - RELISH
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - CHOPNOTCH
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE - PINTEREST
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS WITH SAUCE - THERESCIPES.INFO
AMISH APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE - PENNSYLVANIA STYLE
APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE - EASY APPLE DUMPLINGS FROM ... - PLATTER …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS – A HUNDRED YEARS AGO
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - RITA'S KITCHEN
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE | WILLIAMS SONOMA TASTE
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS... - DELISH GRANDMA'S RECIPES …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - SWEET PEA'S KITCHEN
APPLE DUMPLINGS - SUGAR SPUN RUN
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
GRANDMA'S OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - NESTING LANE INDULGE
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - FARM BELL RECIPES
35 OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN DISHES TO MAKE TONIGHT
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | WILLIAMS SONOMA
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - A DELIGHTSOME LIFE
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS – FASTINHAND RECIPES
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE APPLE …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - COOKING WITH CHEF BRYAN
EASY OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS WITH LEMON SAUCE
GREAT AUNT INA'S APPLE DUMPLINGS - THE BAKERMAMA
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN APPLE DUMPLINGS – MIDLIFE RAMBLER
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - OHIO'S AMISH COUNTRY
You'll also love