SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
Take the time up front to make a thick gravy and you'll love how rich and delicious it makes this slow-cooked stew. Even though the caraway is optional, we recommend giving it a try- it's a simple way to add something special to a classic.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Toss the beef with the paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Coat in flour and shake off any excess. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook undisturbed until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, turning the beef as needed, until mostly browned, about 3 minutes more. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the beef to the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker; add the potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and onions and stir to combine.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the tomato paste and stir until the oil begins to turn brick-red, about 1 minute. Add the flour and wine and whisk until thick (it's OK if there are some lumps). Add the beef broth, thyme, caraway if using, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and bring to a simmer, whisking; continue simmering and whisking until the gravy is smooth and thick, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the gravy into the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. The meat and vegetables should be tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Serve the stew in bowls with dollops of sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika.
SLOW-COOKER BEEF STEW
When there's a chill in the air, nothing beats this Crock-Pot beef stew. Seasoned with thyme and dry mustard, the hearty slow-cooker beef stew is chock-full of tender carrots, potatoes and meat. -Earnestine Wilson, Waco, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place flour in a large shallow dish. Add stew meat; turn to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Place over vegetables., In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and, if desired, browning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272 calories, Fat 12g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 53mg cholesterol, Sodium 541mg sodium, Carbohydrate 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
THE ULTIMATE BEEF STEW
- Preheat a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the oil and butter.
- While the pan is heating, arrange the flour on a large dish. Season the cubed beef with some salt and freshly ground black pepper and then toss in the flour to coat. Shake off the excess flour and add the beef chunks in a single layer to the hot pan, being careful not to over crowd the pan, you might have to work in batches. Thoroughly brown all of the cubes on all sides. Once all the meat has been browned remove it to a plate and reserve.
- Add the wine to the pan and bring up to a simmer while you scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon being sure to loosen up all those tasty bits. Once the wine has gotten hot add the browned meat, thyme, smashed garlic, orange zest strip, ground cloves, freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste, bay leaves and beef stock. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until the liquids start to thicken, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 1/2 hours.
- After 2 hours add halved potatoes, sliced carrots, pearl onions and mushrooms, along with a pinch of sugar to balance out the acid from the red wine. Turn the heat up slightly and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes more, until the vegetables and meat are tender. Add the frozen peas during the last minute of cooking. Season with salt and pepper and remove the thyme sprigs.
- To serve, place the stew in a soup bowl, garnish with parsley, drizzle with olive oil and add a dollop of Horseradish Sour Cream. Right before serving add a slice of Toasted Peasant Bread, half way submerged in the stew.
- Combine sour cream, prepared horseradish and a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dollop of the mixture on top of the stew and garnish with chopped chives.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Put a sheet pan in the oven so that it gets good and hot.
- Place the bread slices on the hot sheet pan. Drizzle the bread with the extra-virgin olive oil bake for 5 minutes, until the bread is nicely toasted. Rub the bread slices with the garlic cloves, and discard garlic. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Perfect for pot roast recipes, inexpensive chuck is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef. Simmering it slowly and gently in the oven results in a wonderfully tender pot roast. Vegetables like onions and potatoes give the pot roast recipe even more comforting flavors.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast all over with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place in pan, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Turn meat fat side up. Add stock, wine, if using, onions, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir in tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, cover; put in the oven, and roast for 3 hours. Add carrots and potatoes, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour more.
- Transfer the roast, carrots, and potatoes to a platter. With a spoon, skim the fat off the surface of the cooking liquid. Cut the roast into thick slices, and serve with the vegetables. Pass the pan juices separately.
SLOW COOKER POT ROAST
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread the onion slices out into the bottom of the cooker.
- Spread the flour out onto a work surface. Sprinkle the chuck roast with salt and black pepper, and roll the roast in the flour to coat all sides. Using the edge of a small, sturdy plate, pound the flour into the meat. Place the floured roast into the cooker on top of the onions. Whisk together beef gravy mix, ranch dressing mix, and Italian dressing mix in a bowl, and whisk the mixes with water until smooth. Pour over the chuck roast. Distribute carrots around the meat.
- Cover the cooker, set to Low, and cook until the roast is tender and the gravy has thickened, about 8 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 385.2 calories, Carbohydrate 20.8 g, Cholesterol 86.8 mg, Fat 22 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 23.9 g, SaturatedFat 8.7 g, Sodium 1287.8 mg, Sugar 6.1 g
CLASSIC BEEF STEW
From the inviting aroma to the hearty taste, every bite of this beef stew recipe promises warmth, comfort and satisfaction. When a pot of beef stew is simmering away on your stovetop, it's clear to everyone that a great meal is in the making.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In 12-inch skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. Add beef; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Add water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes or until beef is almost tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cold water and flour. Cover; cook about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- In tightly covered jar or container, shake cold water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 350, Carbohydrate 24 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Fat 1 1/2, Fiber 4 g, Protein 24 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 980 mg, Sugar 4 g, TransFat 1/2 g
People also searched
More about "potroaststew recipes"
BEST CLASSIC HOMEMADE BEEF STEW RECIPE - TASTE AND TELL
4.9/5 Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Place the flour and the pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the beef, seal the bag, and shake until all the pieces are coated with the flour mixture.
- In a 5 to 6 quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat half of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef to a plate, add more oil, and cook the remaining beef.
- When the beef is browned, return all of the beef to the pot. Stir in the vegetable juice, beef broth, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Stir the potatoes and carrots into the stew. Return to a boil, reduce the heat and cover and cook for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
BEST INSTANT POT BEEF STEW - PRESSURE COOK RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Brown Chuck Roast Steak: Heat up Instant Pot by using the "Sauté More" function. Wait until the Instant Pot says HOT. Pat dry the chuck roast, then season one side of the beef with salt and black pepper. Drizzle 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in inner pot. Ensure to coat oil over the whole bottom of the pot. Carefully place the seasoned side of chuck steaks in Instant Pot. Season the other side of beef with salt and black pepper. Brown one side for 7 minutes before flipping over, then brown the other side for another 7 minutes. Remove and set aside in a large container.
- Optional - Saute Mushrooms: Add sliced mushrooms in Instant Pot, then sauté until all moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated and the edges are slightly crisped & browned (~6 minutes). Taste and season with salt and ground black pepper if necessary. Remove and set aside.
- Saute Onion and Herbs: Add in sliced onions, then saute for 3 minutes. Add in minced garlic, 2 bay leaves, ¼ tsp (0.35g) dried thyme, then saute for another minute.
- Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour in ¼ cup (63ml) sherry wine, then completely deglaze the bottom of the pot by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce the sherry wine to let some of the alcohol evaporate.
BEST EVER ONE POT BEEF STEW - THE BUSY BAKER
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to the hot pot, just so the beef covers the bottom of the pot (Don't overcrowd as this will prevent the browning process. Brown the beef in batches if necessary.).
- Brown the beef pieces on each side just until they're beautifully caramelized, sprinkling the flour over the beef as it browns, about 1 teaspoon at a time.
SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW - DAMN DELICIOUS
4.8/5 (221)Servings 8 See details »
LEFTOVER POT ROAST STEW: THE BEST EVER EXCUSE FOR …
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
THE ULTIMATE BEEF STEW RECIPE | CANADIAN LIVING
See details »
OUR 20 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
BEEF STEW WITH POTATOES RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Add butter, and as soon as it melts, brown half the stew meat until the outside gets nice and brown, about 2 minutes. (Turn it as it browns.) Remove the meat from the pot with a slotted spoon and put it on a plate.
HEALTHY SLOW-COOKER POT ROAST STEW | HUNGRY GIRL
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Top with broth. Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours, until beef is cooked through.
POT ROAST STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over high heat until hot. Add beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Remove beef; place in a 4 1/2-quart electric slow cooker.
- Add water and broth to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; pour over beef in slow cooker. Add potato and next 7 ingredients to slow cooker; stir well. Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/4 cup water in a bowl; stir well with a whisk until blended. Add flour mixture, thyme, and chives to slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 20 minutes.
SLOW COOKER POT ROAST STEW | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
- Place onions in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place beef on top of onions. In a bowl combine wine, tomato paste, vinegar, cinnamon, rosemary, allspice, salt, and crushed red pepper; pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Adjust low-heat setting to high-heat setting. Stir in squash and quince. Cover and cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours more or until squash is tender. If using apples, add to cooker the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Remove and discard cinnamon. Serve pot roast with couscous and juices. Makes 8 servings.
ULTIMATE SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
See details »
CROCKPOT BEEF STEW - SPEND WITH PENNIES
- Brown the beef and onions in olive oil small batches. Add some of the broth to the pan and scrape up any brown bits.
OLD FASHIONED STOVETOP BEEF STEW RECIPE - GRANNY'S IN …
- Place cubed stew meat into a large bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 to 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix until all the beef is covered.
- Heat your heavy bottomed pot on the stove over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons of light or extra virgin olive oil to the pot.
- Once oil is warm, add the beef cubes to the pot. Cook until they start to brown, then flip. Brown on each side.
EASY POT ROAST CROCK-POT RECIPE | TASTE OF HOME
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins See details »
THE BEST SMOKED POT ROAST ON THE TRAEGER - DEB AND …
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
LEFTOVER CROCKPOT ROAST BEEF STEW – CAN'T STAY OUT OF …
3.2/5 (4)Servings 10Cuisine AmericanCategory Soups, Stews & Chowders See details »
POT ROAST STEW WITH DROP BISCUITS | POT ROAST, POT ROAST ...
See details »
MAGNOLIA TABLE SUNDAY POT ROAST STEW RECIPE – LOSS FAT
See details »
MAGNOLIA TABLE SUNDAY POT ROAST STEW RECIPE - HOW …
See details »
CHUNKY POT ROAST STEW RECIPE SOUPS, MAIN DISHES WITH ...
See details »
You'll also love