ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP
I found the basis for this soup on another website but didn't have all the ingredients called for so I adapted it to suit my less gourmet pantry. I was pleasantly surprised when my non-gourmet pantry turned out this gourmet quality soup! This soup is perfect for an autumn or winter day. I use it as a 1st course for Thanksgiving dinner. It is a savory, slightly sweet soup that will give you a new appreciation for the American chestnut.
Provided by LIer4064
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Roast chestnuts in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Whether you're using fresh, canned or vacuum packed chestnuts you still need to do this step.
- While chestnuts are roasting, heat oil in 4 quart pot over medium high heat. Add butter. Allow oil and butter to melt together. Add in onions, carrots, celery and saute for 8 to 10 minutes until they are softened. Add soy sauce and chestnuts. Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat. Stir frequently. Add water. Bring to a simmer. Leave uncovered and continue simmering for 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add parsley and sage.
- Using an immersion or standard blender, puree soup. After pureeing the soup you can stir in the wine if you'd like. Serve!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 127.6, Fat 8.9, SaturatedFat 2.2, Cholesterol 5, Sodium 325.6, Carbohydrate 11.5, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 4.9, Protein 1.8
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP
- If you have skinned chestnuts, proceed to step 2. If your chestnuts still have their skins, preheat the oven to 350°F. Use a sharp (preferably curved) paring knife to make an X on their flat sides. Roast them in one layer in a baking pan for 10 to 15 minutes, or until their skins begin to open away from the meat. They will then be easy to peel; remove both outer and inner skins while they are warm. (The peeled chestnuts will cook faster if you chop them roughly, but it isn't necessary.)
- Meanwhile (if you have skinned chestnuts, start here), put the olive oil or butter in a deep skillet or casserole over medium heat. A couple of minutes later, add the celery, onion, and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the stock and the chestnuts, bring to a boil, and partially cover. Adjust the heat so that the mixture simmers and cook until the chestnuts are mushy, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully puree the soup in a blender (if you are not in a hurry, cool it slightly first for extra caution). Measure and add water to make 6 cups of liquid. Reheat, adjust the seasoning if necessary, garnish with celery leaves or parsley, and serve.
- I like to elaborate on this soup in two ways, depending on what I've got in the fridge and whether meat eaters are coming to dinner:
- Chestnut Soup with Bacon: Start by rendering 1/4 cup or so of diced slab bacon; scoop out the solids and reserve them for garnish, then sauté the celery and onion in the rendered fat and proceed as directed.
- Chestnut Soup with Shiitakes: Garnish the soup with a cup or so of shiitake mushrooms (caps only), sliced and sautéed in butter or oil until crisp.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Trim the top off the leek, slice it lengthwise and chop it roughly. Soak the leek briefly in water to remove sand and grit, then drain. Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat, and butter and sweat celery and leeks in the butter until very soft DO NOT BROWN. Add the roasted chestnuts and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. If you are using frozen chestnuts, simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until the starch begins to develop and the soup begins to thicken. If fresh chestnuts are used, simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the starch begins to develop and you can easily crush the nuts against the side of the pot with a spoon. Turn off heat and allow the soup to cool slightly, otherwise the stream from the hot soup may cause the blender to malfunction. Pour the soup into a blender (or use an immersion blender right in the pot) blend until there are no longer any large pieces of chestnut, celery and leeks and the soup is somewhat smooth. Very small pieces of chestnut should remain. Return soup to pot and bring to a simmer again, add the cream and the port. Reduce until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the soup becomes too thick, adjust the consistency by adding a bit of water. The soup should be stirred well before serving, if it is in a thermos, shake it very well before pouring into bowls.
ROASTED CHESTNUT BISQUE
This soup recipe from Francis Anthony, the Love Chef, would make an excellent start to your Thanksgiving feasting. Or after the major celebration is over, you could serve a cup of this soup along with leftover turkey sandwiches.
Provided by Olha7397
Categories < 30 Mins
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut off the roots and tough green tops of the leeks. Peel away the coarse outer layers of each leek, split down to the root end, and wash the inner leaves thoroughly to remove any grit. Chop the leeks into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium high heat. Add the leeks and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are softened but not browned. Add the stock, chestnuts, and carrot and simmer for about 18 minutes, or until the chestnuts and carrot are tender.
- In the container of a blender or a food processor fitted with metal chopping blade, process the soup until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan and stir in the cream, Marsala, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Serve in warmed soup bowls topped with a dollop of sour cream.
- *To roast chestnuts in the oven, preheat the oven to 400°F With a sharp knife, make an X-shaped cut on the flat side of each shell or prick each shell with the tines of a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. When the chestnuts are just cool enough to handle, shell them and remove the inner brown skins. (Using a dish towel helps.).
- If you really want to get into the spirit of the season and "roast them on an open fire," position the chestnuts at the edge of the fire near the glowing coals. Let them roast for about 10 minutes, turning frequently, until you hear them "pop." Remove them from the coals let cool slightly, then remove the shells. (The dish towel is really valuable here as there is often ash on the chestnuts.).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 622.8, Fat 22.3, SaturatedFat 13.2, Cholesterol 57.6, Sodium 75, Carbohydrate 74.5, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 6.3, Protein 6
CHESTNUT SOUP WITH BACON AND CHIVES
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until rendered and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the fat. In the same saucepan, melt the butter, and add the carrot, celery, leek, and shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat until softened and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add broth and chestnuts to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until all the ingredients are soft, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, and purée in batches in a blender until very smooth. Return to saucepan, add the cream, and heat thoroughly, adding stock to thin if needed. (A spoon should not leave a trail on the surface of the soup.)
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle into warmed shallow bowls. Garnish with the reserved bacon, a dab of crème fraîche, chives, and a pinch of nutmeg.
My Aunt Anne started a new tradition several years ago with this fabulous addition to our family holiday dinner. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com.
Provided by Carla A.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- To Cook Chestnuts: With a sharp knife, slice an 'X' across each chestnut. Place chestnuts in a single layer on a jelly roll pan. Pour 1/4 cup water into the pan. Bake in a preheated 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shell and peel.
- In a large saucepan combine the chicken stock, shelled chestnuts and chopped onions. Place the parsley sprigs, cloves and bay leaf in a spice bag and add to the chicken stock mixture. Simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes.
- Discard the spice bag and puree the chestnut mixture in a food processor or blender. Add the heavy cream, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Return mixture to saucepan and gently heat through. To serve to with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream, a bit of chopped parsley and some cooked chopped chestnuts just before serving. High quality vegetable broth can be substituted for the chicken broth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 329.7 calories, Carbohydrate 56.1 g, Cholesterol 33.8 mg, Fat 9.6 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4.3 g, SaturatedFat 4.9 g, Sodium 1299.6 mg, Sugar 15.2 g
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Using a sharp paring knife or a chestnut knife, score each chestnut; either make an "x" on one side of nut, or make one long slit crosswise. Place chestnuts in a single layer on a baking pan, and bake until flesh is tender and golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Using a clean kitchen towel, immediately peel shells. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut a 1/2 inch crisscross on the flat side of each nut. Be sure to cut through the shell to prevent the nut from exploding.
- Place the nuts in a shallow baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and peel off the shell.
- Place nuts in a skillet with butter and saute over high heat until the butter is melted and the chestnuts are well coated. Place skillet in oven and roast until they are golden on top. Sprinkle with salt and cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216.5 calories, Carbohydrate 33.6 g, Cholesterol 20.3 mg, Fat 8.6 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 1.3 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, Sodium 56 mg, Sugar 8 g
More about "roasted chestnut soup recipes"
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP WITH THYME CREAM RECIPE
5/5 (5)Calories 172 per servingServings 10
- Place chestnuts on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Place chestnuts in a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Combine onion, carrot, and oil on pan; toss to coat vegetables. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add to chestnuts; stir in broth. Pour half of broth mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a Dutch oven. Repeat procedure with remaining broth mixture. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place pan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place cream in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 10 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE - MAGGIE POND | FOOD
Servings 6Total Time 30 mins
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, chestnuts, potatoes, thyme and cinnamon; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the potatoes are very tender and broken up, about 15 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the soup. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the sherry and lemon juice. Ladle into shallow bowls and serve.
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
Cholesterol 57.49 mgSaturated fatty acids 11.26 g
ROASTED CHESTNUT RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
LENTIL AND ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP - APRON AND SNEAKERS
CHESTNUT SOUP WITH CRISP PROSCIUTTO - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
CREAMY CHESTNUT SOUP WITH HONEY ROASTED PARSNIPS
SPOTLIGHT RECIPES: ROASTED CHESTNUTS & A SEASONAL SOUP
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE
ROASTED CHESTNUT AND MUSHROOM SOUP - MADELEINE SHAW
CREAMY ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP – THE FUZZY ARTICHOKE
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP | RECIPE
CREAMY CHESTNUT SOUP | OLIVE & MANGO
VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE
RECIPE OF THE DAY: ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP - THE NEW YORK TIMES
14 BEST CHESTNUT RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
ROASTED CHESTNUTS - LEARN HOW TO PREPARE ONE OF WINTER'S …
VELOUTé DE CHâTAIGNES (CREAMY CHESTNUT SOUP) | SAVEUR
CREAMY ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP - THE ORIGINAL DISH
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
CREAMY CHESTNUT SOUP - PARDON YOUR FRENCH
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
ROASTED CHESTNUT AND GREEN & BLACK’S ORGANIC MILK CHOCOLATE …
CHESTNUT SOUP - THE PERFECT SOUP TO WARM YOU UP ON COLD …
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS - YANKEE …
20 BEST CHESTNUT RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP WITH DUMPLINGS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
ROASTED CHESTNUTS (OVEN OR OPEN-FIRE) - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
SILKY CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE - WOLFGANG PUCK | FOOD & WINE
ROASTED CHESTNUT AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CREAM OF CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
ROASTED CHESTNUT AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE - HEALTHY HILDEGARD
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP RECIPE - LOS ANGELES TIMES
ROASTED CHESTNUTS RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
ROASTED CHESTNUT SOUP - GUIDING STARS
ROASTED CHESTNUT RECIPE
ROASTED CHESTNUT AND MUSHROOM SOUP – THE TASTY CHILLI
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make chestnut soup?Add the stock and the chestnuts, bring to a boil, and partially cover. Adjust the heat so that the mixture simmers and cook until the chestnuts are mushy, about 30 minutes. Carefully puree the soup in a blender (if you are not in a hurry, cool it slightly first for extra caution). Measure and add water to make 6 cups of liquid.
How do you make cauliflower soup with chestnuts?Cook over a gentle heat for 8-10 mins until the onion softens. Add the cauliflower, milk and stock. Bring to a simmer, cooking for 10-12 mins until the cauliflower is tender. Add the cream, season well and bring back to the boil. Take off the heat, throw in the chestnuts and blend with a hand blender until smooth.
How to cook chestnuts in a pan?Melt the butter in a medium sauce-pan. Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chestnuts and cook for 4 minutes. Add the port and thyme and cook over moderately high heat until the port is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
How to cook chestnuts in a crock pot?Add butter, shallot, carrot, leek, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 5–7 minutes. Add stock, chestnuts, bay leaf, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, slightly covered, until chestnuts are very tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf and thyme.