When you're in the mood for a meaty, savory comfort-food classic, serve Alton Brown's Shepherd's Pie from Good Eats on Food Network.
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 35 seconds. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the half and half, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a 12-inch saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the lamb, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly.
- Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula. Place on a parchment lined half sheet pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE
- Heat oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and half of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Crumble meat into pan and cook until brown all over. Sprinkle with flour. Stir in ketchup, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables. Transfer to a 9-inch (23-cm) baking dish.
- Whip the potatoes with the warm milk, remaining salt and pepper, butter and garlic until very fluffy. Spread potatoes evenly over meat mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 375.3 calories, Carbohydrate 44 g, Cholesterol 56.5 mg, Fat 17.4 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 18.2 g, SaturatedFat 7.3 g, Sodium 1602.7 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE
Favorite shepherd's pie recipe, a classic casserole of Britain and Ireland done American-style. Cook ground beef and savory vegetables, top with mashed potatoes, and bake to perfection.
Provided by Elise Bauer
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 865 kcal, Carbohydrate 51 g, Cholesterol 212 mg, Fiber 7 g, Protein 54 g, SaturatedFat 25 g, Sodium 1031 mg, Sugar 6 g, Fat 50 g, ServingSize Serves 4, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
SKILLET SHEPHERD'S PIE
This is the best shepherd's pie recipe I've ever tasted. It's very quick to make, and I usually have most-if not all-of the ingredients already on hand. -Tirzah Sandt, San Diego, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, peas, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5 minutes., Combine the cornstarch, bouillon and water until well blended; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream and heat through (do not boil)., Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until potatoes are heated through and cheese is melted. Freeze option: Prepare beef mixture as directed but do not add sour cream. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large skillet, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 448 calories, Fat 20g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 80mg cholesterol, Sodium 781mg sodium, Carbohydrate 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 7g fiber), Protein 24g protein.
You'll like the convenience of this comforting dish. Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. Shepherd's pie has never been so easy-or so tasty!
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large (5-quart) heavy pot or Dutch oven over high. Cook beef, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add thyme, ketchup, and flour; stir until combined. Add 1/2 cup water and vegetables. Cook until vegetables are warmed through and liquid has thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon beef mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Spread potatoes evenly over beef; using a fork, decorate potatoes with lines and peaks. Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until potatoes are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 431 g, Fat 26 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 25 g
This is just the kind of dish we crave during cooler months. When the weather calls for comfort food, it's hard to beat a substantial stew of beef sirloin and vegetables, topped with creamy mashed potatoes and baked until everything is warm and bubbly. This shepherd's recipe has a couple of secret shortcuts that'll help you have it on the table in under an hour-perfect for a weeknight meal!
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add beef; cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Drain.
- Add mixed vegetables, tomato paste, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are hot. In small bowl, mix broth and flour with whisk. Add broth mixture to beef mixture. Heat to boiling; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick. Spoon beef mixture into baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over beef mixture; fluff with fork.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 370, Carbohydrate 27 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Fat 1/2, Fiber 5 g, Protein 24 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 800 mg, Sugar 5 g, TransFat 1 g
GORDON RAMSAY'S SHEPHERD'S PIE
I found this on a blog on the internet site I can do that. This is a recipe that author "Oggi" adapted from Gordon Ramsay's show "Kitchen Nightmares" where he tried to save the restaurant. This recipe ended up being the signature dish of the restaurant.
Provided by chefRD
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Prepare the mashed potatoes:.
- Place potatoes in a pot, add enough water to cover, add salt, cook for 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and mash (I prefer using a ricer). Warm the cream and butter then add to the mashed potatoes. Season with salt, then beat with a wooden spoon or hand beater for 1 minute until fluffy. Do not overbeat or it might turn gummy.
- Prepare the filling:.
- Add 2 T grated Parmesan cheese. Cover, set aside, keep warm while preparing beef.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil, stir fry beef until no longer pink. Drain off excess grease. Add onion, garlic, and carrot and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme and rosemary, cook for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer until wine has almost evaporated. Add the broth and simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer beef to a deep dish.
- Spoon mashed potato on top of beef. Sprinkle with 1 T grated Parmesan cheese. Fluff with a fork to create peaks.
- Bake in a 400° F oven for 20 minutes or broil until top is brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 734.1, Fat 31.1, SaturatedFat 13.9, Cholesterol 179.5, Sodium 2057.9, Carbohydrate 45.4, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 6.1, Protein 55.8
SHEPHERD'S PIE (GORDON RAMSAY)
I saw this on Kitchen Nightmares and had to find the recipe. I have added corn to this before just because it has been in our other recipes. All in all it is very good and is something that has been a hit in our family.
Provided by CamKayNic
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil until hot, add half the mince (ground lamb), season with pepper and fry until well browned. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pan and place in a metal colander to allow the excess fat to drain. Repeat with the second batch of mince and place in the colander.
- Add the onion to the pan with the thyme and garlic and a knob of butter,and cook until soft and translucent. Add the meat and tomato purée, then sprinkle over the flour. Cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Add the red wine and Worcestershire sauce and cook until the liquid has reduced to half the original volume. Add the chicken stock, bring back to the boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes. The mixture should be thick and glossy. Allow to cool, then check the seasoning.
- Mash the potato until creamy and smooth or pass through a Mouli or potato-ricer. Put into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Place the milk and butter into a small pan and heat until the butter is melted and the milk is about to boil. Pour over the potatoes and beat well, adding the egg yolks and seasoning with salt and white pepper.
- Put the mince into a large baking dish, then top with the creamed potato. Use a fork to rough up the top.
- Place in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown in color.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 866.7, Fat 56.1, SaturatedFat 25.1, Cholesterol 205.4, Sodium 576.2, Carbohydrate 48.6, Fiber 3.8, Sugar 7.9, Protein 34.8
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot, and meat. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the peas.
- 4. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- 5. Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- 6. Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
- 7. Spread them over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork.
- 8. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
More about "shepherds pie recipes"
SHEPHERD’S PIE | CLUB HOUSE CA
SHEPHERD'S PIE - CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
INA GARTEN SHEPHERDS PIE - HALF-SCRATCHED
HOW TO COOK SHEPHERD'S PIE - PIEPRONATION.COM
EASY SHEPHERDS' PIE | JAMIE OLIVER SUPER FOOD RECIPES
THE BEST CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE - THE WHOLESOME DISH
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
OUR TOP 12 SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BEEF SHEPHERD'S PIE
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
OLD FASHIONED SHEPHERD'S PIE - THE STAY AT HOME CHEF
CLASSIC SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPE | A FARMGIRL'S KITCHEN
SHEPHERD'S PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH PEAS AND CARROTS - ABC EVERYDAY
SHEPHERD'S PIE | CANADIAN LIVING
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
HEALTHY SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
DELICIOUS EASY SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPE | GROUND BEEF RECIPES
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - ALTON BROWN
SHEPHERD'S PIE - GIMME SOME OVEN
SHEPHERD'S PIE | RECIPETIN EATS
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
MARY BERRY'S SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - LOVEFOOD.COM
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
THE BEST AUTHENTIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - SCRAMBLED CHEFS
SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE | GOURMET TRAVELLER
SHEPHERD’S PIE | RECIPE
BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BEEF SHEPHERD'S PIE
SHEPHERD'S PIE | MCCORMICK
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - AN EASY CLASSIC | DOWNSHIFTOLOGY
SHEPHERD'S PIE - STAY AT HOME MUM
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - HEALTHIER. HAPPIER. QUEENSLAND.
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
#lactose #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #healthy #main-dish #vegetables #low-fat #vegan #vegetarian #dietary #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #egg-free #healthy-2 #free-of-something #low-in-something
You'll also love