HUSBAND'S GRANDMOTHER'S SHRIMP GUMBO
My husband's grandmother taught me this recipe. She actually cooked for Cajun festivals. She used 40-gallon trash cans for her stock pots. People would line up for this authentic Cajun specialty. This recipe serves eight but multiplies well. Serve gumbo over cooked white rice.
Provided by ranch_maven
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, discard the fat in the skillet, and drain the sausage slices on paper towels to absorb any excess grease. Set the sausage aside. Cook and stir the chopped bacon in the skillet until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes, remove the bacon, and set aside. Stir the okra into the hot bacon drippings, and cook and stir until the okra is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the okra in a colander, and discard bacon drippings.
- Place the okra and diced tomatoes in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer the okra mixture for about 10 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion, green onions, green pepper, celery, parsley, and garlic until the onion begins to turn brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables but leave the butter in the pot. Stir in the flour, reduce heat to low, and cook the roux, stirring constantly, until it turns the color of milk chocolate, 30 to 45 minutes. Do not let the roux burn.
- When the roux reaches its correct color, whisk in 2 cups of water. Raise the heat to medium; stir in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and bay leaves, bring the mixture to a boil, and stir in the sausage, bacon, okra-tomato mixture, and 6 more cups of water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer the gumbo, stirring occasionally, until the soup has thickened and the flavors are blended, about 45 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, and simmer until they turn pink and opaque, 6 to 8 more minutes. Discard bay leaves and adjust the seasonings, if desired, before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 343.5 calories, Carbohydrate 12.6 g, Cholesterol 164.7 mg, Fat 21.8 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 23.9 g, SaturatedFat 9.8 g, Sodium 922 mg, Sugar 2.6 g
This is and adaptation of a recipe my sister in law gave me. It is hearty and delicious. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like to your taste and it doesn't take long to make. Set out hot sauce for diners to season to their own liking.
Provided by Laura
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Drain liquid from tomatoes into the stockpot. Place tomatoes on a cutting board, dice, and add to the pot. Add chicken broth, rice mix, and seasoning packet, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add sliced sausage and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp, and cook until they are bright pink on the outside and the meat is opaque, about 3 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 430.6 calories, Carbohydrate 35.3 g, Cholesterol 161.6 mg, Fat 19.4 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 28.6 g, SaturatedFat 5.8 g, Sodium 1841.9 mg, Sugar 7.7 g
A crisp green salad and crusty French bread complete this shrimp gumbo meal. I always have hot sauce available when I serve this and have found that the instant microwave rice packages make the process a little easier. -Jo Ann Graham, Ovilla, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 11 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir flour and oil until caramel-colored, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes (do not burn). Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes., Stir in the shrimp, okra, green onions and tomato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until shrimp turn pink, 10 minutes. Stir in file powder. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 159 calories, Fat 7g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 102mg cholesterol, Sodium 681mg sodium, Carbohydrate 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
QUICK SHRIMP GUMBO
This hearty dish is one of our favorites. I've made it with all shrimp or with all turkey sausage, and it's just as good. I usually cook it in the microwave. -Mrs. Leo Merchant of Jackson, Mississippi
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sausage; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sausage begins to brown. Add green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. , Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in shrimp. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat. , Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with lemon slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 246 calories, Fat 5g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 146mg cholesterol, Sodium 1211mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
SHRIMP GUMBO WITH ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE
Most cooks agree that gumbos must have the vegetable trinity of chopped bell pepper, onion and celery, and that they should be highly seasoned. Some gumbos do contain sausage, shrimp and chicken, but there are humbler ones that are made with only salt pork, onions and greens. Finally, there is the filé powder camp. These cooks use copious amounts of the stuff, which is made from finely powdered sassafras leaves. Added at the last minute, it thickens the soup while imparting a flavor that's earthy and herbal. I confess to using all three - a roux, okra and filé powder - in my own gumbo, which I hope is not sacrilegious. Not having grown up in gumbo territory, I based mine on a number of visits to New Orleans.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories dinner, lunch, soups and stews, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Peel and devein shrimp. Reserve shrimp shells for broth. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic. Cover and refrigerate. Make the shrimp broth.
- Make the gumbo base: In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery and cook briskly, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring, until flour-vegetable mixture is well browned. Add tomato paste, paprika, cayenne and remaining garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring well, then add diced tomato and andouille sausage and cook for about 2 minutes. Season mixture generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir in shrimp broth and reduce heat to medium. With a wooden spoon, scrape bottom of pot to dissolve any browned bits. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until gumbo base thickens somewhat. Taste and adjust salt. (You may prepare gumbo base up to this point several hours ahead; bring it back to a brisk simmer before continuing.)
- Add okra and let cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes more. Turn off heat. Stir in filé powder. Serve immediately, sprinkled with scallions, along with steamed rice or cornbread if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 384, UnsaturatedFat 15 grams, Carbohydrate 26 grams, Fat 21 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 23 grams, SaturatedFat 5 grams, Sodium 1160 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Shrimp Gumbo is a fast microwave soup that is quick and easy to prepare. We love it with a loaf of sourdough french bread. I made a few changes to the original recipe from Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet Heathstyle Cookbook.
Provided by ellie_
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Combine garlic, pepper, celery, scallions, chili powder, thyme, and oil into a 2-1/2 quart microwave-safe casserole dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook at 100% for 10 minutes.
- Prick plastic to release steam.
- Remove from oven and uncover.
- Mound vegetable in the center of the dish.
- Arrange shrimp and sausage around vegetables and place okra in the center, on top of the vegetables.
- Pour tomatoes over shrimp.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Prick plastic.
- Stir ingredients well.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Prick plastic.
- Remove from oven.
- Uncover and add broth.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 307.1, Fat 20.4, SaturatedFat 6.8, Cholesterol 129.5, Sodium 650, Carbohydrate 10, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 3.4, Protein 21.4
This recipe is intended for a festival or large gathering and is suited for serving a large number of people.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 125+ servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- To make the roux: In a heavy skillet, combine equal parts oil with flour and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until dark brown in color. Immediately remove from heat. Roux will continue to cook, stir occasionally.
- To make the Shrimp Gumbo: Over medium heat in a large stockpot, bring chicken with enough water to cover it to a boil and create a broth. Remove chicken from pot and discard. Melt butter into chicken broth, then add tomatoes, okra, peppers, celery, and onions. Next add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, and hot sauce, to taste. Add additional water to cover gumbo. Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Add shrimp boil to pot and continue to simmer for an additional 1 hour. Add the shrimp and roux and simmer for another hour, for a total of 4 hours cooking time, or to the thickness desired.
- Serve over rice.
- In a rectangular ceramic dish (11 by 8 by 3 inches), heat the butter, uncovered, at 100 percent for three minutes. Stir in the flour thoroughly. Cook at 100 percent, uncovered, for eight minutes, until dark brown, stirring twice.
- Add the onion, celery, celery leaves, garlic and cayenne pepper, stirring to coat with roux. Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent for five minutes.
- Stir in file powder, broth and okra. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap. Cook at 100 percent for six minutes.
- Uncover carefully and stir in the shrimp. Recover tightly and cook at 100 percent for five minutes. Slit the plastic and stir. Patch the plastic and cook for four minutes longer.
- Uncover. Season to taste with salt, lemon juice, pepper and pepper sauce. Serve with white rice.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 270, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 19 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 25 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 1002 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
EASY SHRIMP GUMBO
- Heat Margarine in dutch oven medium heat.
- Cook onions, bell pepper, and garlic, stirring occassionally, until onions are softened.
- Stir in flour . Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and parsley; break up tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 45 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Stir shrimp into soup. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Remove Bay Leaf , serve over rice and sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 286.7, Fat 1.9, SaturatedFat 0.4, Cholesterol 147.7, Sodium 904.9, Carbohydrate 45.6, Fiber 4.7, Sugar 9.1, Protein 22.7
More about "shrimp gumbo recipes"
LOUISIANA SHRIMP GUMBO - CHEF MICHAEL SMITH
10 BEST GUMBO RECIPES | YUMMLY
NEW ORLEANS SHRIMP SAUSAGE GUMBO - MY FOOD STORY
SHRIMP GUMBO WITH ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE RECIPE - SIMPLY …
NEW ORLEANS GUMBO WITH SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE RECIPE
EMERIL'S CLASSIC SEAFOOD GUMBO | EMERILS.COM
SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE - LOUISIANA SEAFOOD
SEAFOOD GUMBO - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
SHRIMP AND OKRA GUMBO RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
SHRIMP GUMBO CASSEROLE RECIPES
BEST ALTON BROWN'S SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
WHAT SPICES GO IN GUMBO - THERESCIPES.INFO
SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO | RECIPE | KITCHEN STORIES
GUMBO RECIPE (PLUS VIDEO) - IMMACULATE BITES
CHICKEN, SAUSAGE, AND SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE - LIFE IS A PARTY
SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE | TRIED AND TRUE RECIPES
SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE - BAKE ME SOME SUGAR
LOUISIANA SHRIMP GUMBO - ALL OUR WAY
SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SOUTHERN SHRIMP GUMBO - THE COUNTRY COOK
AUTHENTIC NEW ORLEANS GUMBO - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE - IAN KNAUER | FOOD & WINE
CAJUN SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE - LOUISIANA CAJUN MANSION BED AND …
KETO GUMBO WITH SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE - LOW CARB YUM
SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CAJUN-STYLE SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE | ALTON BROWN
SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
CAJUN STYLE SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO - JENNIFER COOKS
EASY SHRIMP GUMBO RECIPE FROM H-E-B
BUBBA'S SHRIMP GUMBO | PAULA DEEN
SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE - OR WHATEVER YOU DO
EASY GUMBO RECIPE - MOM ON TIMEOUT
HOMEMADE SEAFOOD GUMBO - YUMMLY RECIPES
SEAFOOD RECIPES FOR DINNER GUMBO - HEALTH RECIPES
SHRIMP GUMBO - GUAN
GUMBO RECIPE (TRADITIONAL CAJUN VERSION) | KITCHN
SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE | SMOKIN’ AND GRILLIN’ WIT AB’S
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #gumbo #main-dish #pork #seafood #american #cajun #southern-united-states #oven #dinner-party #holiday-event #stews #shrimp #stove-top #one-dish-meal #new-years #meat #pork-sausage #shellfish #superbowl #mardi-gras-carnival #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook gumbo shrimp?Directions. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage, pepper sauce, black pepper and salt to taste. Simmer, covered 15 minutes. Remove cover. Bring to a boil; add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Ladle gumbo into bowls with rice.
What is the best gumbo recipe to make?Raise the heat to medium; stir in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and bay leaves, bring the mixture to a boil, and stir in the sausage, bacon, okra-tomato mixture, and 6 more cups of water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer the gumbo, stirring occasionally, until the soup has thickened and the flavors are blended, about 45 minutes.
How long do you boil gumbo?Directions. Stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage, pepper sauce, black pepper and salt to taste. Simmer, covered 15 minutes. Remove cover. Bring to a boil; add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Ladle gumbo...
What are the ingredients in shrimp gumbo?Shrimp Gumbo. This spicy Cajun gumbo, a stew originating in Louisiana in the 18th century, gains much of its flavor from the dark roux and its characteristic thickness from file, an herb made from the ground leaves of the sassafras tree. Onions, celery and green peppers, the "holy trinity" of both Creole and Cajun cooking,...