SIMPLE PERFECT POT ROAST
This is the Cook's Illustrated recipe, but it tastes exactly like Mom's recipe. She used to put it in the oven before we went to church, and then served it with hot rolls and a crisp salad.
Provided by PanNan
Categories Roast Beef
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300°F.
- Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8- 10 minutes.
- Transfer roast to a large plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6- 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and beef broths and thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast.
- Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat, then cover tightly and transfer pot to oven.
- Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes until fully tender and meat fork slips in and out of meat very easily (3 1/2- 4 hours).
- Transfer roast to carving board, tent with foil to keep warm.
- Allow liquid in pot to settle about 5 minutes, then use wide spoon to skim fat off surface; discard thyme sprig.
- Boil over high heat until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes.
- Add red wine and reduce again to 1 1/2 cups, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut meat into 1/2 inch slices, or pull apart in pieces; transfer meat to warmed serving platter and pour about 1/2 cup sauce over meat.
- Serve, passing remaining sauce.
- Note: Can add small red potatoes and sliced carrots and/or parsnips about 45 minutes before roast is finished.
BEEF POT ROAST
This is the best and easiest recipe for pot roast I have ever tried. It is best to make it a day ahead. Serve with oven roasted vegetables, potatoes, carrots, onions, or your favorite side dish.
Provided by Teresa C. Rouzer
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat a heavy Dutch oven on top of the stove over medium high heat. Add oil, and sear meat in the center of the pan for 4 minutes. Turn meat over with tongs; sear all sides for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove meat from pan. Arrange onion, garlic, and 1 bay leaf in the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return meat to pan, place remaining bay leaf on top of meat, and cover.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Reduce the heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove roast to a platter to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice, and top with onions and gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 550.6 calories, Carbohydrate 1.6 g, Cholesterol 161 mg, Fat 41.9 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 39.4 g, SaturatedFat 16.6 g, Sodium 445.7 mg, Sugar 0.6 g
PERFECT POT ROAST
Feed your family with Ree Drummond's Perfect Pot Roast recipe from Food Network. Fresh rosemary and thyme add rich, herbal resonance to this hearty roast.
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- Throw the carrots into the same very hot pot and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.
- If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
- With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Place the roast back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast. For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.
SIMPLE BEEF POT ROAST
This pot roast recipe and technique could not be easier. The vegetables break down, combining with the meat's juices to create a sauce! Warm, hearty, and delicious! Serve over horseradish mashed potatoes.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Pour vegetable oil into a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Season the chuck roast with salt and black pepper. Brown the meat on both sides in the hot oil, and transfer to a plate.
- Stir carrots, celery, and onion into the pot, and cook and stir until vegetables start to release their juices, about 3 minutes; loosen any brown flavor bits on the bottom of the pot. Add butter, and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Then sprinkle in rosemary, stir the vegetables, and return the roast to the pot. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the chuck roast is tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Season vegetables with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 506.9 calories, Carbohydrate 5.6 g, Cholesterol 140.6 mg, Fat 39.2 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 31.7 g, SaturatedFat 16.8 g, Sodium 883.5 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
PERFECT POT ROAST
Cooking meats, I have to confess, isn't my specialty. But everyone who tastes this main-course dish wants more! I'm a mostly at-home mom. I like to sew and read. I also enjoy gardening-we grow a good-sized patch, and it's so nice to have fresh-picked tomatoes and spinach when I make salads.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender. , Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan. , For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast.
Nutrition Facts :
CLASSIC POT ROAST (COOKING FOR 2)
Pot roast is a kitchen classic that feeds a crowd-but when you're cooking for two, it can leave an intimidating amount of leftovers. This recipe is portioned specifically for two so that you can enjoy the flavors you love without the waste. This complete meal recipe includes the roast itself, plus carrots, potatoes and gravy. As a bonus, it's not a demanding recipe to make-simply cook low and slow and enjoy all the hearty flavors of a Sunday roast.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season beef with salt and pepper; coat with flour. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef in oil 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Place beef, onion and celery in baking dish. Pour broth over beef and vegetables. Cover; bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn beef over; add carrots and potatoes. Cover; bake 1 hour. Uncover; turn beef over and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender and broth is slightly thickened. Skim excess fat from broth, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 920, Carbohydrate 105 g, Cholesterol 125 mg, Fat 2 1/2, Fiber 11 g, Protein 54 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 1520 mg, Sugar 10 g, TransFat 1 g
SLOW-COOKER EASY POT ROAST
You already make getting big flavor on the table look easy, and this slow-cooker pot roast is no exception. Whip up a hearty beef roast slow-cooker recipe that comes together with Progresso™ beef broth, boneless beef chuck and veggies. You'll only need 25 minutes to prep-then you can go about your day as it cooks. Once dinnertime rolls around, you'll be greeted by a perfectly seasoned, pull-apart slow-cooker pot roast that will hit the spot every time.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, place beef. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Place potatoes, carrots and garlic over beef. In medium bowl, mix broth, tomato paste, thyme, mushroom soup and onion soup mix with whisk until smooth. Pour over beef and vegetables.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef from slow cooker to serving platter. Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to serving platter with beef; cover to keep warm.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water with whisk until smooth. Stir into liquid in slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve gravy with beef and vegetables. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 550, Carbohydrate 46 g, Cholesterol 105 mg, Fat 2, Fiber 7 g, Protein 39 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 1640 mg, Sugar 8 g, TransFat 1 g
BASIC POT ROAST
- Season the flour with the salt and pepper and pound the mixture into the meat with the edge of a plate. Brown meat on all sides in the hot fat or oil. Add the onions, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Add the carrots, herbs, seasonings and liquid. Cover tightly and simmer 3 1/2 - 5 hours, until meat is fork tender. Add desired vegetables during the last 20 or 30 minutes.
- Pot Roast Variations
- 1. For part of the liquid, use a 10-ounce can (1 1/3 cups) of puréed tomatoes. For seasoning, add 1 tablespoon minced parsley or dill. When the meat has been removed from the pan, add 1 cup sour cream to the sauce.
- 2. For the liquid, use 3/4 cup dry white wine, 2 tablespoons brandy or rum, and 1 tablespoon chili sauce. For seasoning, add 4-6 coriander seeds and 12 peppercorns.
- 3. For the liquid, use 1/2 cup syrup from canned fruit, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1 beef bouillon cube. For seasoning, add a pinch of powdered fennel and a teaspoon of minced dill.
- 4. For the liquid, use half dry vermouth, half chicken bouillon.
SLOW COOKER BEEF POT ROAST
- Generously season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over the top until well coated, and pat it into the meat. Shake off any excess.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear the roast on both sides for 5-6 minutes each, until well browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in mushrooms and butter; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in onion; cook for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add garlic, stir for about a minute.
- Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook for another minute.
- Slowly add chicken stock, stir to combine, and return to a simmer. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Place carrots and celery in the slow cooker. Place roast over the vegetables and pour in any accumulated juices. Add rosemary and thyme.
- Pour onion and mushroom mixture over the top of the roast. Cover slow cooker, turn to high and cook the roast for 5-6 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
- Skim off any fat from the surface and remove the bones. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 777.9 calories, Carbohydrate 7.6 g, Cholesterol 198.5 mg, Fat 57.3 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 54.6 g, SaturatedFat 22.5 g, Sodium 602.5 mg, Sugar 2.9 g
QUICK + EASY INSTANT POT POT ROAST
Make pot roast fit for an elegant dinner party for a weeknight meal. This healthy dish is ready in about an hour.
Provided by DanaAngeloWhite
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode, add beef and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Top beef with potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and lock the lid in place. Place the vent to the sealing position and set to manual on high pressure for 40 minutes. When the cook time is done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Release remaining pressure and remove the lid. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots and potatoes to a serving dish. Transfer pot roast to same dish and garnish with parsley.
- If a gravy is desired, set the pot to saute mode and bring cooking liquid to a simmer. Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cooking liquid. Add the cornstarch mixture back to the simmering liquid; cook and stir until thickened. Spoon some of the gravy over the pot roast before serving.
- Serves: 6; Calories: 342; Total Fat: 8 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Total Carbohydrate: 19 grams; Sugars: 4 grams; Protein: 45 grams; Sodium: 538 milligrams; Cholesterol: 123 milligrams; Fiber: 4 gram.
CROCK-POT BEEF ROAST
I've put together a few different recipes to come up with something our family likes. Hope you enjoy it too! *I usually cut my potatoes into eighths unless they are small potatoes. *Using the crockpot on a low setting makes the meat so much more tender. *I have a 6 quart crockpot, so I can fit a lot into it.
Provided by Little This Little
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Put potatoes, carrots and onion on bottom of crockpot.
- Place the roast on top, fat side up.
- Pour in water or beef broth.
- Sprinkle chives, parsley, pepper and Onion Soup mix over the meat.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce and mushroom soup over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- **Note: If your roast is frozen, start it on low the night before with just the water or broth. Add the rest of the ingredients the next morning and cook until dinnertime! If done this way, you can easily remove the fat layer in the morning before adding the other ingredients.
More about "simple beef pot roast recipes"
CLASSIC BEEF POT ROAST RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (156)Calories 307 per serving
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
- Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.
- Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
OUR 20 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Mary Claire Lagroue
30 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | EASY CHUCK ROAST RECIPES | RECIPES, …
TENDER POT ROAST - CAFE DELITES
POT ROAST | RECIPETIN EATS
TENDER SLOW COOKER POT ROAST - THERESCIPES.INFO
MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST RECIPE - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
CLASSIC BEEF POT ROAST RECIPE | COOKING LIGHT
CLASSIC BEEF POT ROAST RECIPE - SIMPLY SCRATCH
CLASSIC BEEF POT ROAST RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
MOM'S BEST BEEF POT ROAST RECIPE (VIDEO) - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
MAMA'S SLOW ROASTED POT ROAST - TENDER, EASY, DELICIOUS!
BEEF ROAST POT RECIPE - RECİPES - FORUM FAVORI
POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
POT-ROAST RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
EASY POT ROAST RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
BEEF POT ROAST - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
EASY POT ROAST CROCK-POT RECIPE | TASTE OF HOME
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
POT ROAST KNOW HOW - CANADIAN BEEF | CANADA BEEF
PERFECT POT ROAST - SPEND WITH PENNIES
THE PERFECT SOUTHERN POT ROAST RECIPE
EASY INSTANT POT POT ROAST (TENDER AND JUICY) - INSPIRED TASTE
CLASSIC BEEF POT ROAST RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
HOW TO COOK CLASSIC BEEF POT ROAST IN THE OVEN - KITCHN
THE BEST POT ROAST RECIPE - CHEF SAVVY
10 BEST BEEF POT ROAST CROCK POT RECIPES - YUMMLY
CLASSIC SUNDAY POT ROAST - THE STAY AT HOME CHEF
COCA-COLA POT ROAST RECIPE (FOR A SLOW COOKER)
FORK-TENDER POT ROAST IN THE OVEN | ROAST BEEF RECIPE
THE EASIEST AND BEST POT ROAST RECIPE EVER - TASTY EVER AFTER
POT-ROAST TOPSIDE OF BEEF RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
TRADITIONAL EASY POT ROAST - CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF
SMOKED POT ROAST RECIPE
SUNDAY OVEN POT ROAST - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
CLASSIC ROAST BEEF AND GRAVY RECIPE CROCK POT 6 HOURS
29 MOUTH-WATERING POT ROAST RECIPES - TASTE OF HOME
You'll also love