GREEK CHEESE PIE - TIROPITA
With phyllo sheets, Greek feta cheese & gruyere, it is guaranteed to be a hit.
Provided by by Jenny | The Greek Foodie
Categories Appetizer Main Snack Vegetarian
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Brush 2 sheets of phyllo with the melted butter and spread them gently in the pan, one at a time. The phyllo I use is purposely larger than my baking pan, so I can let the phyllo edges hang outside the pan as I will roll them over later. Take another 2 sheets and repeat the same process adding the phyllo so that the edges cover the rest of the pan. Make sure the phyllo edges are buttered as well. That way, they won't get dry by the time you roll them in.
- In a large bowl, mix well the crumbled feta, grated cheeses, Philadelphia, thyme, the eggs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the phyllo pack in half and set one half aside, covered with a damp towel, so it does not get dry. Brush one phyllo at a time with butter, crumple it and place in the pan. Repeat the process until all of the sheets of that half of the pack are done.
- Spread the cheeses mix evenly in the pan. Setting two phyllo sheets aside cover with the remaining half of the package in the same process as before. Brush with butter, crumple, and add to the pan.
- Cover pie with the two buttered phyllo sheets. Gently bring all the phyllo edges into the pan, fold them, almost creating a "phyllo border."
- Score gently with a sharp knife.
- Pour the milk evenly all over the pie. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 min or until cooked through, and the top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 336 kcal, Sugar 2 g, Sodium 484 mg, Fat 24 g, SaturatedFat 14 g, Carbohydrate 17 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 13 g, Cholesterol 108 mg, ServingSize 1 serving
GREEK CHEESE PIE
This is an authentic recipe for "tyropita", or Greek feta cheese pie. Layers of crispy phyllo and a simple filling of feta cheese. You don't need anything more!
Provided by Diana Moutsopoulos
Categories World Cuisine Recipes European Greek
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Mix feta cheese and eggs together in a bowl for the filling; set aside.
- Lay out 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface and brush liberally with olive oil. Top with another sheet and brush with oil. Repeat for a total of 4 sheets, but do not brush the top of the fourth sheet. Transfer the stack of oiled sheets to one of the greased cake pans. Drape over the bottom of the pan, trying not to be too perfect about it; you want some folds and wrinkles in the phyllo.
- Spread 1/2 of the filling over the phyllo in an even layer. Fold the overhanging phyllo over the filling, again letting natural folds and wrinkles occur. Loosely lay 1 sheet of phyllo over the top, brush with oil, and use the oiled brush to pat down the sides all around the circumference of the cake pan.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo, oil, and filling to assemble the second pie.
- Bake the cheese pies in the preheated oven until the tops are a deep golden brown, 45 to 60 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 226.1 calories, Carbohydrate 9.7 g, Cholesterol 60.4 mg, Fat 17.8 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 6.9 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 457.4 mg, Sugar 1.4 g
GIBANICA SERBIAN CHEESE PIE
A traditional Serbian dish served for special occasions and holidays. Great as a meal or side dish.
Provided by Katrina Pescador
Categories Main Dish Recipes Savory Pie Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine 5 eggs, kefir, feta cheese, 1/2 cup oil, vegetable seasoning, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking pan.
- Cover the bottom and sides of the baking pan with 2 sheets phyllo dough. Crinkle 2 more sheets into loose balls; dip balls into the egg mixture until lightly coated. Place into the pan and cover with a flat sheet of phyllo. Repeat crinkling and layering the remaining phyllo, ending with 2 flat sheets.
- Mix the remaining egg, yogurt, and 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl; spread mixture on top of the pie.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top turns reddish brown, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 477.6 calories, Carbohydrate 33.5 g, Cholesterol 165 mg, Fat 31.7 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 14.4 g, SaturatedFat 8.9 g, Sodium 752.7 mg, Sugar 3.9 g
SOUTH AFRICAN-GREEK CHEESE PIE
This very delicious pie is my version of the Greek Tiropita, tweaked considerably. Please note that substitions can be used, i.e. pine nuts instead of walnuts, and I think pickled red bell peppers will work instead of piquante peppers (peppadews), although nothing approximates the wonderful tang of piquante peppers. Metric weights and measures are given in brackets. Try and find smoked mozzarella -- it does make a difference to the taste! It's an unashamedly rich pie, of course! Can be served as a vegetarian main dish with a healthy mixed salad, or in small portions with ovenbaked chicken pieces. If you use a larger dish, which will yield a flatter pie, don't cover the top with the phyllo (cover lightly with foil instead), and cut into small squares as a snack food. Prep time includes grating some of the cheeses.
Provided by Zurie
Yield 4-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Oven: 400 deg F, or 375 deg F for fan ovens. (200 deg C, 180 deg C fan ovens).
- I used a 7" x 7" x 1 1/2" glass oven dish, which is small but just the right size. Oil dish very lightly.
- Open the phyllo pastry, lightly butter or the top sheet, and line the dish. Don't cut off the overhang. Carry on like this, lightly pressing the next 2 sheets on to the previous ones. Leave the overhang as is.
- Mix the cheeses, nuts, chopped peppers and spring onions in a bowl. Toss until well mixed but work lightly. Add the breadcrumbs and toss through.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl until foamy, and add the Tabasco to the eggs if you are using it. Add to the cheeses, and mix through.
- You will need very little milk -- this depends on your cheeses and eggs -- so as to "wet" the mixture but not saturate it.There should only be the tiniest bit of liquid on the bottom of the bowl if you lift the mixture.
- Scrape into the phyllo-lined dish, and smooth top. Fold the phyllo overhang over the cheese, and oil the bits lightly. The overhang should be adequate to cover the pie. If it does not, it doesn't matter. (S A phyllo sheets are quite large, so it all depends on that!)
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 - 45 minutes, turning DOWN heat to 350 deg F/180 deg C after about 10 minutes, or less for convection/fan ovens. Watch that the top does not burn.
- This is a rich dish, and can be a main vegetarian dish, with a nice salad. If you use a flatter dish, it can be cut into small squares as a snack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 697.1, Fat 53.5, SaturatedFat 27.7, Cholesterol 295.4, Sodium 1357.3, Carbohydrate 20.7, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 4.4, Protein 34.9
More about "south african greek cheese pie recipes"
THE ULTIMATE CHEESE PIE | ARGIRO BARBARIGOU
BALKAN FETA-CREAM CHEESE PIE (BUREK SA SIROM) RECIPE
THE CRISPIEST, CREAMIEST GREEK CHEESE PIE WITH
DELICIOUS LITTLE CHEESE PIES! (PITARAKIA MILOU) - MY GREEK …
COTTAGE PIE – A RECIPE THAT FEEDS A FAMILY AND MAKES GRANDMA …
GREEK ISLAND PIE RECIPE - SPAR
EASY CHEESE PIE WITH KATAIFI PASTRY & ROQUEFORT - THE GREEK FOODIE
THE PERFECT LAZY GREEK FETA CHEESE PIE | EASY RECIPE
GREEK CHEESE PIES: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW! - DIANE KOCHILAS
SAGANAKI - AUTHENTIC GREEK FRIED CHEESE - OLIVE TOMATO
MY YIAYIA’S TIROPITA RECIPE (GREEK CYPRIOT FILO CHEESE PIE)
SOUTH AFRICAN-GREEK CHEESE PIE - LUNCH RECIPES
THE DELICIOUS GREEK PIES – TRADITIONAL CHEESE PIE RECIPE
CRETAN TRADITIONAL CHEESE PIE (SFAKIANI PITA) RECIPE
SPIRAL-SHAPED GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPE (KICHI KOZANIS)
TRADITIONAL TIROPITA – GREEK FETA CHEESE PIE - OLIVE TOMATO
GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPE BY HOLIDAY.COOK | IFOOD.TV
GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPE - BAKER RECIPES®
30-MINUTE CHEESE PIE (WITH FETA AND ANTHOTYRO) - REAL GREEK …
SPANAKOPITA - GREEK SPINACH AND FETA CHEESE PIE RECIPE
CREASED CHEESE PIE (PATSAVOUROPITA) - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK HOSPITALITY
CHEESE PIE — GREEK-RECIPE-COM
LOCKDOWN RECIPE OF THE DAY: GREEK SPIRAL CHEESE PIE
TYROPITA STRIFTI (GREEK CHEESE PIE) - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK HOSPITALITY
QUICK AND EASY GREEK CHEESE PIE - GREEK FOOD ALCHEMIST
TIROPITA – GREEK CHEESE PIE | 12 TOMATOES
THE BEST TRADITIONAL GREEK PIES - MYGREEKITCHEN
10 BEST GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPES | YUMMLY
GREEK PIE RECIPES | GREEK PIES - GREEK PIES | TRADITIONAL …
TIROPITA; TRADITIONAL GREEK CHEESE PIE – KEFALOS FOODS
BROCCOLI & CHEESE PIE - SOUTHAFRICANRECIPES.INFO
TIROPITA - GREEK CHEESE PIE - JO COOKS
GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPE BY ASHLYN | IFOOD.TV
SOUTH AFRICAN-GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
GREEK CHEESE PIE
TRADITIONAL TIROPITA – GREEK CHEESE PIE RECIPE - CHEF'S PENCIL
SOUTH AFRICAN SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love