SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
Thanks Paula Deen (FoodTV) for the best fried chicken I have ever made! It has a nice, savory flavor and a coating that has just the right amount of crispiness. It was a good thing I had an extra cut-up chicken in the refrigerator because my family was begging for it again the next day. Although it calls for what seems like a lot of hot pepper sauce, it isn't any spicier than Jack-In-the Box's Spicy Crispy Chicken--you can take it!! FYI I made this using 10 pounds of wings--enough of the hot sauce/egg mixture to cover, but you will need to double flour mixture if you want to do this much. I'm not saying it tastes like KFC--only that you won't be doing business with them anymore.
Provided by SharleneW
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat peanut oil in a large deep pot to 350°F (do not fill more than half full--you don't want a hot-oil spill-over accident!).
- For sauce mixture: in a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs with the water.
- Add hot sauce and whisk together well.
- Pour this mixture into a large plastic zip-top bag.
- For seasoning mixture: In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- For dredging mixture: In a another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- Cut breast pieces in half across ribs.
- Sprinkle chicken generously on both sides with seasoning blend.
- Drop a few chicken pieces of chicken into bag of sauce mixture and squish around to coat thoroughly.
- One piece at a time, roll chicken in flour mixture and drop into hot oil.
- Don't crowd chicken pieces--I cook about half the chicken at a time.
- Fry chicken until brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Dark meat will take about 14 minutes, white meat about 10 minutes.
- Remember smaller pieces cook faster than the larger ones.
- You can check for doneness by piercing to the bone in the thickest part with a fork.
- If the juices run clear, it is done.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 797, Fat 39.8, SaturatedFat 11.5, Cholesterol 356.1, Sodium 3012.2, Carbohydrate 50.5, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 1.1, Protein 55.3
REAL SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
As a Yankee originally from Vermont, I didn't know one fried chicken from another. They all seemed pretty much the same to me. Tasting the Southern version opened my eyes! A side of hot biscuits served with butter and honey is practically mandatory. -Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a shallow bowl, whisk 2 cups buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight., In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Meanwhile, place remaining buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and remaining salt and pepper. Place half of flour mixture in another shallow bowl (for a second coat of breading). Drain chicken, discarding marinade; pat chicken dry. Dip in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in buttermilk, allowing excess to drain off. For the second coat of breading, dip chicken in remaining flour mixture, patting to help coating adhere., Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 580 calories, Fat 39g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 106mg cholesterol, Sodium 628mg sodium, Carbohydrate 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 37g protein.
BEST SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
Here's a traditional southern fried chicken recipe. My husband is a ham radio operator and we've shared this recipe with folks from all over the world. -Jo Ruh, Covington, Kentucky
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture. , In a large skillet; brown chicken in oil on both sides. Cover and cook the chicken over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from the skillet; keep warm. Reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet. , For gravy, stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with chicken. Garnish with oregano if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 551 calories, Fat 40g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 123mg cholesterol, Sodium 680mg sodium, Carbohydrate 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 26g protein.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken in a bowl and pour over the milk. Tip the flour and spices into a large plastic bag and add a large pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Take half of the chicken out of the milk, shake off any excess and put in the bag of seasoned flour. Hold the top closed and shake well. Lift the pieces out and shake off any excess, but don't do this too hard or you'll end up with no coating. Lower the pieces into the oil and fry on each side until golden and crisp - don't overdo it as the chicken is being baked next and will brown further. Use tongs to turn the chicken and try not to tear the coating. Transfer to a rack set in a roasting tin. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Bake for 30 mins until cooked - check one drumstick and one thigh with a skewer - cook for longer if you need to.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 333 calories, Fat 13 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 20 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 35 grams protein, Sodium 0.6 milligram of sodium
SOUTHERN-STYLE BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN
This is a down home recipe that I have used for years, and thought I would share it! The buttermilk marinade is terrific and is such a comfort food. However this is not a recipe that can be done quickly, but the wait is WELL worth it!
Provided by pinkchef
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in the other plastic bag. Shake to mix thoroughly. Transfer one marinated chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredient bag, and shake well to ensure complete coverage. After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, making sure not to burn the oil. When oil is hot, fry chicken in batches until golden brown and juices run clear, turning chicken to brown evenly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 480 calories, Carbohydrate 29.4 g, Cholesterol 77.1 mg, Fat 26.7 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 29.2 g, SaturatedFat 5.5 g, Sodium 650.4 mg, Sugar 3.6 g
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
- Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and paprika. Roll in flour.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 inch oil to a large, heavy skillet. Heat to approximately 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Cover, and fry until golden, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 491.3 calories, Carbohydrate 16.1 g, Cholesterol 97 mg, Fat 32 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 32.8 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 93.7 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
More about "southern fried chicken recipes"
TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN | I HEART RECIPES
5/5 (16)Category DinnerCuisine SouthernTotal Time 9 hrs See details »
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER CHICKEN RECIPES
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 2 hrs 15 minsCategory MainsCalories 523 per serving
- To make the brine, toast the peppercorns in a large pan on a high heat for 1 minute, then add the rest of the brine ingredients and 400ml of cold water.
- Meanwhile, slash the chicken thighs a few times as deep as the bone, keeping the skin on for maximum flavour.
- Once the brine is cool, add all the chicken pieces, cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for at least 12 hours – I do this overnight.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4/5 (51)Total Time 30 minsEstimated Reading Time 5 mins See details »
SOUTHERN BATTER FRIED CHICKEN - ALL FOOD RECIPES BEST ...
Estimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN | FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE | SBS FOOD
3.2/5 (73)Servings 4Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 40 mins See details »
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPES [VOTED 3 BEST FRIED CHICKEN ...
See details »
TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE - JULIAS SIMPLY ...
Reviews 10Calories 320 per servingCategory Dinner
- Combine the Marinade: In a large mixing bowl, combine two cups of buttermilk with 2 teaspoons of hot sauce; add the chicken pieces and make sure they're all coated well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Prepare the dry dredge mixture by combining the flour and seasonings together in a large bowl; set aside.
- Prepare the wet dredge mixture by whisking together the egg with a cup of buttermilk in a large bowl; set aside.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN - MELISSASSOUTHERNSTYLEKITCHEN.COM
4.6/5 (9)Calories 714 per servingCategory Main Course
- Season chicken pieces on all sides with 1 tsp seasoned salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Place into an oblong baking dish and cover with 2 1/2 cups buttermilk. Turn to coat. Chill overnight, turning once.
- 30 minutes before frying: Remove chicken from buttermilk, discard marinade. On a plate sift together the flour, cornstarch, 2 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- In a large shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 cup buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour, into egg wash then into flour again. Arrange on a baking sheet. Let stand for 30 minutes to bring to room temperature and set breading.
THE BEST SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN | THE COUNTRY COOK
Ratings 3Category Main CourseServings 4Total Time 8 hrs 24 mins
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Add the salt, garlic powder, and onion powder, toss to coat the chicken in the spices.
- Add the buttermilk and hot sauce to the bowl, stir until everything is combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but it’s best if you can let it sit overnight.
- Fill up your deep fryer (deep cast iron skillet or dutch oven) with peanut oil (or frying oil of your choice) and preheat to 350°F.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE • THE RUSTIC ELK
Cuisine AmericanEstimated Reading Time 4 minsServings 8
- Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and a couple pinches of the seasoning mix into a large dish that can hold all of your chicken together.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN - IMMACULATE BITES
5/5 (40)Calories 400 per servingCategory Main
- Place chicken in a large bowl or Large ziploc. Then seasoned with salt followed by all the crushed garlic, hot sauce and creole seasoning.
- Pour buttermilk in the marinated chicken, transfer the chicken to a gallon-sized zipper-lock freezer bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, herbs and white pepper.
- Remove all the marinated chicken from the buttermilk . Then dredge in flour mixture, shaking any excess flour. You may use a Ziploc bag for this process, too.
EASY SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
Servings 4Total Time 43 mins
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Combine flour and red pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk together egg and milk in a separate bowl.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a cast iron skillet or large deep skillet; heat over medium-high heat to 350°.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Add chicken to hot oil; cover, reduce heat to medium, and fry 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain chicken on a wire rack over paper towels.
FRIED CHICKEN | RECIPETIN EATS
5/5 (68)Total Time 45 minsCategory MainsCalories 280 per serving See details »
THE BEST BUTTERMILK-BRINED SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
- Combine the paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss and turn to coat.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and the remaining spice mixture in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the marinade from the zipper-lock bag and work it into the flour with your fingertips.
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the shortening or oil to 425°F in a 12-inch straight-sided cast-iron chicken fryer or a large wok over medium-high heat.
- One piece at a time, transfer the coated chicken to a fine-mesh strainer and shake to remove excess flour. Transfer to a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer chicken to a clean wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, season lightly with salt, and place in the oven. Bake until thickest part of breast pieces registers 150°F (65.5°C) on an instant-read thermometer, and thigh/drumstick pieces register 165°F (74°C), 5 to 10 minutes; remove chicken pieces as they reach their target temperature, and transfer to a second wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, or a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place the plate of cooked chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, and up to overnight. When ready to serve, reheat the oil to 400°F. Add the chicken pieces and cook, flipping them once halfway through cooking, until completely crisp, about 5 minutes.
CLASSIC SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
4/5 (66)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCalories 2768Calories 2768 per serving See details »
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE - PAULA DEEN
Servings 10Total Time 10 mins See details »
OUR FAVORITE FRIED CHICKEN RECIPES | SOUTHERN LIVING
See details »
CAPT'N CRUNCH FRIED CHICKEN IS THE TASTY DISH WE'VE BEEN ...
See details »
SOUTHERN KFC SECRET FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE!
See details »
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN – FRUGAL BLOSSOM
See details »
THE BEST SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN THAT'S CRISPY ON THE ...
See details »
GOLDEN FRIED CHICKEN SOUTHERN RECIPE | FORKIN CHOPSTICKS
See details »
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #poultry #american #southern-united-states #chicken #deep-fry #stove-top #dietary #meat #equipment #technique
You'll also love