SPICED BUTTERNUT-SQUASH PIE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in center. Place squash in a medium saucepan, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to a simmer, and cook until the tip of a paring knife easily pierces squash, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Transfer squash to a food processor. Add half-and-half, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; puree until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add eggs, and pulse until combined.
- Place pie crust (in pie pan) on a baking sheet. Pour filling into crust. Bake, rotating once halfway through, until filling is set, 50 minutes to 1 hour (tent loosely with foil if edges are browning too quickly).
- Cool completely. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE
My mom always made this dessert with her homegrown squash. It was my dad's favorite after-dinner treat. I continue to make it to this day. -Johnna Poulson, Celebration, Florida.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 450°. Unroll pie crust into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Place eggs, squash, milks, sugar, salt and spices in a food processor; process until smooth. Pour into crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 10 minutes., Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 30-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 266 calories, Fat 9g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 76mg cholesterol, Sodium 313mg sodium, Carbohydrate 41g carbohydrate (24g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 7g protein.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE
My grandmother taught me how to make this recipe while I was a teenager working on her farm in the summers. For people that find the taste of pumpkin a little strong or just want a change this is a milder but still delicious pie. Hope you like it. Top with whipped cream!
Provided by blaze
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Press each pie crust into 2 pie plates.
- Blend butternut squash, eggs, brown sugar, milk, cream, flour, butter, cinnamon, salt, ginger, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cloves in a blender until smooth; pour into pie crusts.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pies are set in the middle, 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272.1 calories, Carbohydrate 29.3 g, Cholesterol 81.6 mg, Fat 15.7 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 4.6 g, SaturatedFat 6.5 g, Sodium 306.5 mg, Sugar 14.8 g
KABOCHA SQUASH PIE WITH SPICED CRUST
- For the squash: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the squash on a sheet tray, toss lightly with olive oil and toss in the oven. Roast the squash until a fork slides in and out easily, about 45 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool. Remove the skin and puree until smooth. Place 3 cups squash puree in a large mixing bowl, reserve the rest for another purpose.
- For the crust: In the bowl of a food processor combine all the flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Toss in the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like grated parmigiano. Add in the egg yolk and a few drops of the ice water. Pulse until the mixture starts to come together into a ball. Add a few more drops of water if the mixture still seems dry.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work board. Using the heels of your hand, schmear the dough straight forward and roll it back with your fingertips. Repeat this process two more times. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let warm up for 5 minutes. Roll the dough out into a large circle and lay in a deep pie dish. Trim the dough all the way around so there is only 1/2-inch overhang. Fold the dough under and crimp the edges decoratively. Make sure the edges don't extend beyond the pie plate rim. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Lay aluminum foil over the dough to cover and fill the pie plate with baking beans.
- Place the pie plate on a sheet tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and baking beans and bake for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Reduce the heat in the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they are smooth. Beat in the cream. Add the cream/egg mixture to the squash puree and beat to combine. Beat in the condensed milk, brown sugar, bourbon if using and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the squash mixture into the prepared pie shell. Place on the sheet tray and place back into the oven for 25 minutes. Rotate the pie and bake until the mixture barely jiggles when shaken, another 20 to 25 minutes. If the crust starts to get too dark, place a pie shield ring on the pie to protect the edges from burning.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Whip heavy cream with a pinch of cinnamon until stiff peaks, and top the pie as a garnish.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH CUSTARD PIE WITH A PECAN CRUST
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season the squash with olive oil and salt. Place on a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove and cool completely. Place the pie shell in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pie crust from the oven and cool. Peel away the skin and remove the center seeds of the roasted butternut squash. Place the squash in a large mixing bowl. Mash the squash until smooth. Add the cane syrup, the sugar, pinch of salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well. Add the eggs and egg yolks and mix well. Stir in the milk and whisk well. Pour into the pie shell. Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for 25 minutes, until the center is slightly firm. Remove and cool on a wire rack. The pie will still continue to cook while cooling. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled. Slice into individual servings and place on serving plates. Garnish with a drizzle of Caramel sauce and a dollop of Spiced Cream.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE
This very easy recipe is perfect for fall. It uses butternut squash instead of pumpkin, which are equally available, and easier to cook. Try it for your family!
Provided by PeasantsHearth
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pierce the squash with a knife in several places, and place in a baking dish in a 350 degree oven.
- Bake until the squash is tender and easily pierced with a knife (about 1 hour) ALLOW TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- Cut the squash in half, and remove the seeds.
- Scoop out about 2 cups of the pulp and place in your blender or food processor.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until the center is nearly set, and the pie is starting to slightly pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE
This is a pie of exceptional delicacy. Unlike traditional pumpkin pie, no vegetal tones or stodgy finish mar the radiance of this pie, which stops just short of a custard and glows with the burnish of spice. The candied squash and ginger relish adds freshness and bite to an otherwise rich and creamy pie.
Provided by The New York Times
Categories pies and tarts, dessert
Yield 1 9-inch pie
Number Of Ingredients 23
- Make the crust: Combine flour and salt in food processor bowl, and pulse. Remove lid, scatter vegetable shortening and butter over surface, and pulse 5 or 6 times.
- Combine beaten egg and 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse liquid into dry ingredients, continuing until mixture is evenly moist and dough looks curdy, about 10 seconds. Turn onto work surface, and press firmly into disk, adding drops of water if dough feels dry. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Roll dough into 15-inch round on lightly floured surface, about 1/8 inch thick, and fit into shallow 9-inch pie pan. Trim and crimp edges, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Meanwhile, place large pizza stone on lowest rack in oven, and heat at 425 degrees for 1 hour. (If you don't have a pizza stone, you can go without. It can help prevent a soggy bottom crust.)
- Line chilled pie pan with aluminum foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake on pizza stone for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until crust dries out and crimped edges begin to color, 3 to 5 minutes. Lower oven heat to 300 degrees.
- While crust bakes, prepare filling: Combine eggs, vanilla, sugars, salt and spices in food processor, and process until smooth. Add squash purée, and process until smooth. With machine running, pour in heavy cream, and process to combine.
- Scrape filling into hot prebaked shell, and bake on pizza stone for 20 minutes. Turn the oven up to 325 degrees and continue baking for another 20 to 25 minutes until filling is set two-thirds of the way in from the perimeter and the center still jiggles, about 40 to 45 minutes total (custard will continue to cook after pie is removed from oven). Tent edges loosely with foil if browning too quickly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the candied squash and ginger relish, if using: Combine squash, lemon peel, lemon juice, sugar and salt in small bowl, and stir well. Macerate 30 minutes. Turn into small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until tender and liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Add ginger and mix well.
- Remove pie from oven, and cool to room temperature on rack. Garnish with whipped cream and the relish, if desired.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE
I have been making this pie for over 24 years for special occasions. It is so easy and the taste is wonderful. -Mary Ellen Solesbee, Greer, South Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside., In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust., Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. , Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 406 calories, Fat 20g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 88mg cholesterol, Sodium 200mg sodium, Carbohydrate 56g carbohydrate (32g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
FIVE-SPICE BUTTERNUT SQUASH IN CHEESY CUSTARD
Orange butternut squash, golden custard and fiery-red pepper and sesame topping reflect the colors of fall in this dish. It's perfect for a festive brunch, as it's filling enough to keep you going until the big feast, and special enough to really feel like you're celebrating. Serve this with some lightly cooked greens, if you like.
Provided by Yotam Ottolenghi
Categories vegetables, main course, side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit/240 degrees Celsius (nonfan).
- Cut the butternut squash crosswise into 3/4-inch/1 1/2- to 2-centimeter-thick half moons. Transfer to a wide, large cast-iron skillet, skin side up, keeping the slices together in the shape of the butternut squash half. You might have to angle the pieces slightly so that they all fit. Place the shallots on either side of the squash.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, five-spice powder, cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon salt and a good grind of pepper. Pour this all over the vegetables in the skillet, and use your hands to coat everything nicely, rearranging the squash pieces if necessary.
- Bake squash for 25 minutes, or until the squash is soft but not falling apart. Spoon out half the cooked shallots from the pan and set them aside, keeping them intact. Set squash aside to cool for 15 minutes, and turn the oven temperature down to 325 degrees Fahrenheit/170 degrees Celsius (nonfan).
- As the squash cools, prepare the custard: Add the stock and cream to a medium saucepan, and heat through on medium until steaming. In a separate large heatproof bowl, whisk together half the cheese, the yolks, garlic, cornstarch (cornflour), miso, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a good grind of pepper. Slowly pour the scalding cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until incorporated and smooth.
- When ready, pour the warm custard into the butternut squash skillet, letting it pool all around the squash (avoid pouring it directly onto the squash). Sprinkle the remaining half of the cheese all over the custard, avoiding the top of the squash. Lastly, gently place the reserved shallots, cut-side up, on top of the custard and cheese. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until the custard is set with a very slight wobble.
- As custard cooks, prepare the topping: Add the sesame seeds to a small frying pan set over medium-high heat. Toast for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Add the Aleppo pepper, paprika, five-spice powder and a tiny pinch of salt, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the oil and leave to cook gently for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes before stirring in the chives and lime juice.
- When ready to serve, spoon the sesame topping all over the custard and serve warm.
MOROCCAN SPICED PIE
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C/ conventional 200C/gas 6. Dry fry the seeds briefly in a small pan over a medium heat until toasty - don't let them burn. Grind coarsely using a pestle and mortar (or a bowl and the end of a rolling pin), then mix in the paprika, cinnamon, 1⁄2 tsp salt and 4 tbsp oil. Tip the squash into a roasting tin, pour over the spiced oil and toss. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, add the shallots and cook, stirring, until they start to brown. Stir in the ginger and 100g/4oz each almonds and pistachios.When brown, toss in the cranberries, 2 tbsp honey, and the spinach so it wilts. Take off the heat and stir into the squash, when it comes out of the oven. Set aside.
- In a food processor, whizz the chickpeas with the garlic, cumin, remaining oil, lemon juice, 2 tbsp water and salt and pepper to make houmous. Stir in the coriander.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Put a loose-bottomed 28cm quiche tin on a baking sheet and brush with some butter. Keeping the filo covered with a damp cloth so it doesn't dry out, lay one sheet over half of the tin so that it hangs over the edge by about 10cm. Lay another sheet on the other side, so it overlaps the first in the centre and hangs over the opposite edge. Brush with butter. Lay two more filo sheets in the opposite direction in the same way and brush with more butter.
- Build up two more layers in this way, so you use a total of eight sheets of filo. Pile half the squash mixture in the centre of the pastry. Spread over the houmous and then the rest of the squash mixture.One at a time, bring the edge of each filo sheet up to the centre to cover the filling, creating voluptuous folds as you go. Brush carefully with more butter. (If making a day ahead, cover now with cling film and chill. To reheat, remove the pie from the fridge, heat the oven, then bake for 35-40 minutes.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crisp and golden. Just before the pie is ready, reheat any remaining butter in the pan, tip in the rest of the nuts and fry until golden. Spoon in the 4 remaining tbsps of honey and, when it melts, take off the heat and pour over the pie. Serve with Harissa yogurt sauce (mix the yogurt and milk together to make a thin sauce, stir in the herbs and season. Swirl in harissa to taste) and lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 987 calories, Fat 66 grams fat, SaturatedFat 15 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 82 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 13 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 21 grams protein, Sodium 1.64 milligram of sodium
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
My boys LOVE this soup! It's a 'stick to your ribs' soup that everyone will enjoy. Sherry helps to deepen the flavor while half-and-half cream gives an added richness to the soup.
Provided by LuvMyFamily
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pour a thin layer of water in a baking dish, or a cookie sheet with sides. Place the squash halves cut side down on the dish. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the flesh. Cool slightly, then remove the peel. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leek and garlic, and saute for a few minutes, until tender. Pour the chicken broth into the pot. Add the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until soft. Add the squash, and mash with the potatoes until chunks are small. Use an immersible hand blender to puree the soup, or transfer to a blender or food processor in batches, and puree until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Season the soup with cayenne pepper, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper, then stir in the sherry and half-and-half cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Ladle into bowls, and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 298 calories, Carbohydrate 45.2 g, Cholesterol 34.1 mg, Fat 10.6 g, Fiber 5.9 g, Protein 7.1 g, SaturatedFat 5.9 g, Sodium 1854.6 mg, Sugar 7.4 g
More about "spiced butternut squash pie recipes"
PIE CRUST FOR SPICED BUTTERNUT-SQUASH PIE RECIPE - MARTHA …
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SQUASH RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE - PARNELLTHECHEF
SAVORY BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE - THE DR. OZ SHOW
SAVORY BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE WITH CARAMELIZED ONION AND FETA
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE FAMILY RECIPE - THE WOKS OF LIFE
SPICE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE - MELISSA RUBEL …
THE BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE | SISTERDIY.COM
PUMPKIN PIE SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - JAZZY VEGETARIAN
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE - HOUSE OF YUMM
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH - EASY CINNAMON MAPLE GLAZED
FIVE SPICE BUTTERCUP SQUASH PIE - SEASONS IN VERMONT
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PECAN PIE | RECIPE | PECAN PIE, BUTTERNUT ...
SPICY BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE [VEGAN] - ONE GREEN PLANET
JOANNA GAINES BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SPICED SQUASH FILO PIE (SO CRISPY!) - SCHOOL NIGHT VEGAN
BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH …
BUTTERNUT SQUASH POT PIE WITH PARMESAN SAGE PUFF PASTRY CRUST
PIE-SPICED ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH - JOANNE EATS WELL WITH OTHERS
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PECAN PIE | RECIPE - PINTEREST
CARAMELIZED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE WITH NUT CRUST - COOKING ON THE WEEKENDS
EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE (WITH GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST)
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
SWEET AND SPICY ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE WITH GINGERBREAD CRUST - TASTES OF LIZZY T
BUTTERNUT SQUASH, KALE AND FETA GRATIN RECIPE | THE SPICE TAILOR
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE | BRAVETART - SERIOUS EATS
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE: THE BEST PUMPKIN PIE FROM SCRATCH
MY SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - FOOD.COM
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE RECIPE - COOK THIS AGAIN MOM
SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SPREAD - SOBEYS INC.
THE BEST PUMPKIN PIE IS SQUASH PIE - SERIOUS EATS
IRRESISTIBLY DELICIOUS RECIPE FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIE
Butternut Squash Pie | Better Than Pumpkin Pie!124 views-03:29
Butternut Squash Pie Recipe323 views-17:44
Butternut Squash Pie1.2K views-05:09
Butternut Squash Coconut Pie1.1K views-13:33
Delicious Sweet Potato Butternut Pie with Spice Infused Crust! Part 6 of 656 views-01:51
Butternut Squash Pie163 views-10:24
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to bake a butternut squash pie?Blend butternut squash, eggs, brown sugar, milk, cream, flour, butter, cinnamon, salt, ginger, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cloves in a blender until smooth; pour into pie crusts. Bake in the preheated oven until pies are set in the middle, 35 to 40 minutes. Substitute 2 cups milk for the 1 cup heavy whipping cream, if desired.
What can I substitute for butternut squash in a pumpkin pie?Butternut squash gives this pie a rich, buttery taste, but you can use pumpkin instead; substitute 1 2/3 cups canned pumpkin puree and skip step 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in center. Place squash in a medium saucepan, and add enough water to cover.
What is the best way to make squash pie crust?Transfer squash to a food processor. Add half-and-half, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; puree until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add eggs, and pulse until combined. Place pie crust (in pie pan) on a baking sheet.
How do you make Butternut squash puree?Once the squash is softened, place in blender or food processor and blend with the butter until smooth and silky. Add the 2 cups of butternut squash puree to a large mixing bowl.