BEEF STEW WITH PRUNES
Braised dishes like this beef stew may feature green, orange, yellow or red vegetables but their most appetizing color is brown, the shade of brown whose glossy darkness shouts intensity and richness. The key to achieving that glorious color and flavor is sufficient browning of the meat. Don't rush. The good thing is, this savory-sweet stew can almost be ignored while it is cooking and can be made in advance, the night - or even two - before you serve it. Couscous makes a great accompaniment, as does saffron rice, because those bring out the color of the stew. Plain crusty bread is another great option. This is simple cold weather food at its most appealing.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, weekday, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Place a deep skillet or casserole that can be covered over medium-high heat, and add oil. Brown meat well on all sides, seasoning with salt and pepper, for 10 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and tomatoes with a large pinch of salt and some pepper. When they soften, about 5 minutes, stir in paprika, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Return meat to pan, and add stock and wine; bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. If mixture starts to dry, add a little water or stock.
- Remove cinnamon and bay leaf, and stir in sugar and prunes. Simmer until prunes and meat are soft, another 30 to 45 minutes. (Dish can be made in advance to this point; let sit for a few hours, or cover and refrigerate for up to a day before reheating and proceeding.) When meat is very tender, uncover pot and add vinegar; if necessary, raise heat so sauce thickens and becomes glossy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 612, UnsaturatedFat 16 grams, Carbohydrate 45 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 53 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 1134 milligrams, Sugar 27 grams, TransFat 1 gram
WINTER BEEF STEW WITH APRICOTS AND PRUNES
- In 6 quart electric slow cooker, mix together beer, brandy, Worcestershire sauce, marmalade, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, pepper and flour.
- Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 c of this beer mixture.
- To the mixture remaining in slow cooker, add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, apricots and prunes.
- Mix well.
- Cut the beef in half horizontally so you end up with two pieces, each about 1 and 1/2" thick.
- Add to slow cooker.
- evenly pour the reserved beer mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting 10-11 hoursor until the beef and potatoes are tender, stirring once during the cooking time if possible.
- Taste and season with more cinnamon and nutmeg if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 879.3, Fat 37.7, SaturatedFat 15.2, Cholesterol 130.4, Sodium 599.7, Carbohydrate 78.6, Fiber 8.3, Sugar 28.5, Protein 40.8
SPICY AFRICAN YAM STEW
This is just like Ground Nut Stew, only without the chicken!! Makes a great Vegetarian Soup! You could switch out Vegetable broth for Chicken if you prefer.
Provided by katie in the UP
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Saute onion, sweet potato, and garlic until onion is soft. Turn down heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- Stir in the broth, thyme and cumin. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garbanzo beans, jalapenos and zucchini. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and peanut butter until the peanut butter has dissolved.
RED CHILE BRAISED BEEF STEW OVER MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer at a low boil until tender all the way through when pierced with a sharp knife, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and set seasoning mix aside.
- Coat the bottom of a large saute pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add beef to the hot oil and sprinkle with seasoning mix. Cook, stirring as needed, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Cook in batches if needed, to avoid overcrowding. Transfer beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan if necessary and add onion. Cook and stir until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, chile sauce, and tomato paste to the pan. Cook and stir until sauce is well combined and warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes more. Return beef to the pan, bring sauce to a low boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer stew for 1 hour.
- Drain sweet potatoes and allow to cool until safe to handle. Remove skins using a paper towel to pull them off and discard. Place sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl and add sour cream, butter, and salt. Beat using a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon individual portions of sweet potatoes onto serving plates and top with heaping spoonfuls of stew. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 365.2 calories, Carbohydrate 23.5 g, Cholesterol 68.8 mg, Fat 20.4 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 21.7 g, SaturatedFat 7.9 g, Sodium 342.9 mg, Sugar 4.6 g
SPICY BEEF, YAM AND PRUNE STEW
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large (preferably nonstick) saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef; sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices, garlic, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Mix yams and prunes into stew. Cover and simmer until beef and yams are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
SPICY BEEF, YAM AND PRUNE STEW
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat, brown meat well. Add onion, saute until golden, about 5 min. Add tomatoes, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, bring to boil. Simmer for 3 hours, stirring often. Add yams, prunes to stew. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, uncover if necessary to adjust liquidity. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
More about "spicy beef yam and prune stew recipes"
YAM & BEEF STEW WITH CARAMELISED ONIONS & PINE NUTS (PALEO)
Estimated Reading Time 3 minsTotal Time 45 mins
- Heat oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Season onion with salt and sauté over medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the vinegar and stir through for 20-30 seconds. Transfer a couple of tablespoons to a bowl and leave the rest in the pot.
- In another frying pan, cook pine nuts over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds. Until lightly browned and toasted. Remove to a bowl.
- Add beef mince and ginger to the pot with the onion and turn the heat to high. Stir through well. Then add grated garlic and spices and stir through over high heat for a couple of minutes, break the mince apart in the process.
- Once the meat has browned slightly and changed colour, adds the yams, carrots and pine nuts and stir through. Pour in the stock, or water and stock cube, and tomatoes, stir through and season with a little more salt. Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring through a few times.
YAM BEAN BEEF STEW RECIPE - COUNTRY GROCER
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SWEET POTATO BEEF STEW - DAMN DELICIOUS
4.7/5 (21)Category EntreeServings 6Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
BEEF AND PRUNE STEW | MY HEART BEETS
5/5 (2)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 4
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the bacon, onions, garlic, serrano pepper and saute for another 5 minutes.
SWEET & SPICY SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW - AN EXCITING EASY ...
Ratings 24Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 8 hrs 20 mins
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, turmeric, salt, pepper, cinnamon and chili powder; mix together fully.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and any seasonings from the bowl. Brown on each side; 2-3 minutes total.
MOROCCAN BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW: MODIFIED NORTH ...
5/5 (16)Category Main CourseCuisine North AfricanCalories 348 per serving
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add meat and sear or brown, tossing occasionally to get sear on all sides (about 5 minutes). While meat is browning, grind and measure out the spices (cardamom through pepper mix) and place in small bowl.
- Remove meat to platter when finished browning and add onions to the pot. Saute the onions over medium heat 3-5 minutes until translucent and then add garlic for 1 minute (don't burn garlic). Add ground spices and stir into the onion-garlic mix. Saute spice-onion mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meat back into the pot, along with the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Turn the pot to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and simmer for another 1/2 hour or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. (if using prunes and/or apricots, add them at this point)
MOROCCAN BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW
Cuisine AfricanCategory EntréeServings 6Total Time 6 hrs
- Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Add beef Stew Meat, sweet potatoes and raisins; toss to coat evenly. Pour tomatoes on top. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 9 hours or until beef and potatoes are fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Season with salt, as desired.
- This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Place beef and tomatoes in pressure cooker. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 15 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Add flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt, red pepper, sweet potatoes and raisins; stir. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 10 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Serve over couscous and top as desired with almonds and parsley. (This recipe variation was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
SPICED BEEF WITH PRUNES - FOOD | DRINK | RECIPES
4/5 (25)Total Time 3 hrs 25 minsServings 2Calories 697 per serving
SPICY BEEF YAM AND PRUNE STEW RECIPES
SWEET POTATOES STEW - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
STEW RECIPES | RECIPES.NET
BEEF STEW WITH LENTILS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
TILAPIA SPICY RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
RECIPES/SPICY-BEEF-YAM-AND-PRUNE-STEW-3047.JSON AT …
TAGINE RECIPES BEEF - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
YAM AND BEEF STEW RECIPES
BEEF STEW WITH SWEET POTATOES | CARIBBEAN GREEN LIVING
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Do prunes break down in beef stew?But if all your prunes do break down in the sauce, then make sure to top your stew with a few extra prunes prior to serving. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over high heat. Add the beef and sear on all sides for about 5 minutes.
What is the best way to cook beef stew?Stir in beef stock, thyme, bay leaves and steak. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until beef is very tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes; simmer until potatoes are just tender and stew has thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
What are the best spices for beef stew?Garbanzo beans are added too for great texture and nutrition. An array of exotic spices gives the life to this beef stew recipe: turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder (just enough to make it sassy without being overwhelmingly spicy), garlic, ginger, and oregano.
How to cook Moroccan beef stew in a slow cooker?Use your slow-cooker to develop sweet and savory flavors in this Moroccan Beef Stew. It's the perfect blend of adventure and comfort. Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Add beef Stew Meat, sweet potatoes and raisins; toss to coat evenly. Pour tomatoes on top.