BEEF STEW WITH PRUNES
Braised dishes like this beef stew may feature green, orange, yellow or red vegetables but their most appetizing color is brown, the shade of brown whose glossy darkness shouts intensity and richness. The key to achieving that glorious color and flavor is sufficient browning of the meat. Don't rush. The good thing is, this savory-sweet stew can almost be ignored while it is cooking and can be made in advance, the night - or even two - before you serve it. Couscous makes a great accompaniment, as does saffron rice, because those bring out the color of the stew. Plain crusty bread is another great option. This is simple cold weather food at its most appealing.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, weekday, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Place a deep skillet or casserole that can be covered over medium-high heat, and add oil. Brown meat well on all sides, seasoning with salt and pepper, for 10 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and tomatoes with a large pinch of salt and some pepper. When they soften, about 5 minutes, stir in paprika, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Return meat to pan, and add stock and wine; bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. If mixture starts to dry, add a little water or stock.
- Remove cinnamon and bay leaf, and stir in sugar and prunes. Simmer until prunes and meat are soft, another 30 to 45 minutes. (Dish can be made in advance to this point; let sit for a few hours, or cover and refrigerate for up to a day before reheating and proceeding.) When meat is very tender, uncover pot and add vinegar; if necessary, raise heat so sauce thickens and becomes glossy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 612, UnsaturatedFat 16 grams, Carbohydrate 45 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 53 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 1134 milligrams, Sugar 27 grams, TransFat 1 gram
SPICY STEWED BEEF
- In a large pot over high heat, heat the oil and butter. Working in 2 batches, cook the beef until browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic and some salt and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to deepen the flavors.
- Add the beef broth and chipotle peppers with adobo sauce, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the meat is fall-apart tender and the liquid is thick, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Check occasionally and add more beef broth if the sauce becomes too thick or dry.
- Serve immediately and garnish with the green onions, or allow to cool, cover with foil and refrigerate. To reheat, cook at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Garnish with the green onions before serving.
- If serving with the Pimiento Cheese and Bacon Grits, spoon the hot stew over the warm grits in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and serve immediately or cover with foil and refrigerate. To reheat, cook at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Garnish with the green onions before serving.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove it to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the grits and salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the half-and-half and cook until the grits are tender and creamy, about 20 more minutes.
- Add the pimientos, cream cheese, Cheddar and mustard and stir until melted together and combined. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the grits. Stir in the pepper and serve.
SPICY BEEF, YAM AND PRUNE STEW
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large (preferably nonstick) saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef; sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices, garlic, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Mix yams and prunes into stew. Cover and simmer until beef and yams are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
SPICY BEEF, YAM AND PRUNE STEW
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat, brown meat well. Add onion, saute until golden, about 5 min. Add tomatoes, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, bring to boil. Simmer for 3 hours, stirring often. Add yams, prunes to stew. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, uncover if necessary to adjust liquidity. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
SPICY BEEF STEW
- Trim fat from meat.
- Cut meat into 3/4 inch cubes.
- Spray a large saucepan with veggie spray.
- Heat saucepan, add meat, onion and garlic, cook over medium high heat 'til meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth, chili powder, cumin, basil and 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or'til meat is tender.
- Cut carrots into thin match like strips.
- Stir carrots and broccoli into meat mixture.
- Cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes more or 'til tender crisp.
- Stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoon cold water.
- Stir into stew, cook and stir until bubbly, cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
MO'S SPICY BEEF STEW
Wanting to do something different with the standard beef stew, I added a spicy twist to this family's comfort food. It's quick and easy and sure to please the hungry!
Provided by MOCOOKS2
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Mix flour, garlic salt, and black pepper together in a shallow dish.
- Gently press beef cubes into the flour mixture to coat evenly.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir beef in batches in hot oil until browned completely, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove browned beef with a slotted spoon to a bowl until all beef is browned.
- Stir water and beef stew seasoning mix together in a slow cooker until the seasoning is dissolved into the liquid. Add browned beef, potatoes, onion, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, and hot pepper sauce.
- Cook on High, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. Add frozen corn and continue cooking until the corn is hot, about 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 435.9 calories, Carbohydrate 38.3 g, Cholesterol 99.8 mg, Fat 13.4 g, Fiber 4.2 g, Protein 39 g, SaturatedFat 4.5 g, Sodium 933.8 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
SPICY AFRICAN YAM STEW
This is just like Ground Nut Stew, only without the chicken!! Makes a great Vegetarian Soup! You could switch out Vegetable broth for Chicken if you prefer.
Provided by katie in the UP
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Saute onion, sweet potato, and garlic until onion is soft. Turn down heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- Stir in the broth, thyme and cumin. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garbanzo beans, jalapenos and zucchini. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and peanut butter until the peanut butter has dissolved.
SPICED BEEF STEW WITH CARROTS AND CHICKPEAS
This hearty dinner recipe combines beef with bell pepper, carrots, chickpeas, and Ethiopian berbere seasoning-a spice blend of up to twenty ingredients including chile, paprika, ginger, and garlic. The result is a fragrant stew that will perk up winter palates and delight the senses. To soak up every delicious drop, serve it over a bed of fluffy couscous.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Generously season beef with salt and pepper. Dust with flour and shake off excess. Heat a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high, and swirl in 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add half of beef in a single layer and cook, turning a few times, until browned in places, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate, leaving fat in pot. Brown remaining beef; transfer to plate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Swirl remaining 1 tablespoon oil into pot, still over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper until onions are golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and berbere seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until tomato paste is caramelized, 1 minute. Add Worcestershire sauce and wine; boil until mostly evaporated.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot along with broth. Bring to a boil. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook 1 1/2 hours. Remove pot from oven and stir carrots into stew. Cover and continue cooking in oven until beef is fork-tender and carrots are easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour more. Stir in chickpeas; return to oven for 5 minutes more, just to heat through.
- Ladle stew into shallow bowls, sprinkle with mint, and serve. Cooled stew can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated up to 2 days, or frozen up to 3 months.
SPICY BEEF STEW WITH BEANS & PEPPERS
Just the thing to warm you up on a cold winter night
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Lunch, Main course, Supper
Yield Serves 6 adults, or 4 adults and 4 kids
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan with a lid. Season meat, then cook about one-third over a high heat for 10 mins until browned. Tip onto a plate and repeat with 2 tbsp of oil and rest of the meat.
- Add a splash of water and scrape pan to remove bits. Add ½ tbsp oil. Turn heat down, fry onion and garlic until softened. Return meat to the pan, add flour and stir for 1 min. Add treacle, cumin, tomatoes and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hr 45 mins. Stir occasionally and check that the meat is covered with liquid.
- Add peppers and beans, and cook for a further 15 mins. The stew can now be cooled and kept in the fridge for 2 days, or frozen for 1 month. Serve in bowls, with sour cream, coriander and cornbread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 400 calories, Fat 18 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 18 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 8 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 43 grams protein, Sodium 1.2 milligram of sodium
SPICED BEEF WITH STOUT & PRUNES
Make this spiced beef casserole a couple of days in advance. Ideal for a get together, such as New Year's Eve, serve with mash and buttered savoy cabbage
Provided by Diana Henry
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Pat the beef dry using kitchen paper. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large flameproof casserole, and fry the beef in batches over a high heat until browned on all sides. Transfer the browned batches to a bowl using a slotted spoon as you continue frying the remainder.
- When all the meat is browned, heat another 1 tbsp oil in the casserole, and fry the onion for 12 mins until soft and pale golden. Stir in the allspice, cloves, cinnamon stick, juniper berries, and a generous grating of nutmeg.
- Pour in the stout and cook over a medium heat until it has reduced by half. Stir in the stock, carrots, sugar, bay leaves and some seasoning. Return the browned meat to the pan, and bring the mixture the boil. When it's boiling, immediately reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 1 hr 30 mins, stirring and checking the seasoning every so often. In the last 20 mins of cooking time, stir in the prunes (if you do this any sooner, the prunes will fall apart).
- Meanwhile, peel the baby onions and fry these in a small frying pan in the remaining oil over a medium-low heat until golden on the outside and soft in the middle (you may need to add a little stock or water to the pan to help them soften, if they're slightly bigger). The baby onions should be tender, but not falling apart. Stir these into the braise, check the seasoning again, and scatter over the chopped parsley before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 504 calories, Fat 25 grams fat, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 16 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 15 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 49 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
HEARTY BEEF & SWEET POTATO STEW
I have fond memories of growing up in an Irish-Italian family and learning to cook from my grandparents. Beefy stew reminds me of their precious contributions. -Renee Murphy, Smithtown, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat oven to 325°. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon., Add remaining oil to pan. Add onions; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth and wine, stirring to remove browned bits from pan. Stir in thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Transfer to oven; bake, covered, 1-1/4 hours., In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Add sweet potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, parsnips and turnip to pan. Bake, covered, 45-60 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. If desired, strain cooking juices; skim fat. Return cooking juices to Dutch oven.
Nutrition Facts :
More about "spicy beef yam and prune stew recipes"
RICH BEEF AND PRUNE STEW | SLIMMING EATS RECIPES
4.4/5 (50)Total Time 50 minsCuisine AmericanCalories 354 per serving
- Once it displays hot, spray with some cooking oil spray. Add the beef in two batches and sear until browned all over. Season each batch with salt and black pepper as you brown.
BEEF AND PRUNE STEW - MY HEART BEETS
5/5 (2)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 4
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the bacon, onions, garlic, serrano pepper and saute for another 5 minutes.
NOT A WEEKNIGHT FAMILY DINNER: OTTOLENGHI’S BEEF STEW WITH PALE …
BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW - DIABETES FOOD HUB
SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW - CAFE DELITES
INSTANT POT SPICY BEEF STEW (JUST 45 MINUTES!) - ABERDEEN'S KITCHEN
SPICY BEEF STEW - PINCH OF NOM
SPICY BEEF STEW WITH CARROTS AND TOMATOES - TRIED AND TRUE RECIPES
SWEET POTATO BEEF STEW - DAMN DELICIOUS
SLIMMING EATS - SLIMMING WORLD RECIPES - BEEF AND PRUNE STEW
20 SPICY BEEF RECIPES FOR YOUR FRIENDS WHO THINK THEY …
SWEET-AND-SOUR BRAISED BEEF WITH PRUNES - CANADIAN LIVING
10 BEST BEEF STEW WITH SWEET POTATOES RECIPES - YUMMLY
SWEET AND SOUR BEEF STEW WITH PRUNES AND APRICOTS
SPICY BEEF & BEAN STEW RECIPE - GOOD CHEAP EATS
SPICY YAM STEW RECIPE | DR. MCDOUGALL
LAMB TAGINE WITH PRUNES AND CARROTS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
21 IRRESISTIBLE STEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD - SHEKNOWS
SPICED BEEF STEW WITH SWEET POTATOES RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SPICY BEEF STEW RECIPE WITHOUT WINE (INSTANT POT) - INDIAN AMBROSIA
THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE (3 WAYS!) + VIDEO - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
BEEF STEW WITH CINNAMON AND YAMS - MY KITCHEN ADDICTION
BEEF, PRUNE AND BEER STEW FOR THE BRAVE - GREEDY GOURMET
GUINNESS BEEF STEW (IRISH STEW REICIPE) - THE CHUNKY CHEF
SPICY BEEF STEW RECIPE - YANKEE MAGAZINE - NEW ENGLAND TODAY
SWEET & SPICY SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW - AN EXCITING EASY DINNER …
BEEF TZIMMES - ONCE UPON A CHEF
YAM BEAN BEEF STEW RECIPE - COUNTRY GROCER
RECIPE FOR SPICY BEEF STEW | ALMANAC.COM
AFRICAN YAM STEW - FORKS OVER KNIVES
SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW WITH SWEET POTATOES RECIPE
SPICED BEEF WITH PRUNES - FOOD | DRINK | RECIPES
BEEF STEW RECIPE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
BEEF AND PRUNE STEW (RECIPE FROM WWW.SLIMMINGEATS.COM - PINTEREST
MOROCCAN BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW WITHOUT THE TAGINE
BEEF STEW WITH ROOT VEGETABLES AND HORSERADISH - RECIPE
YAM NUEA YANG (SPICY BEEF SALAD) RECIPE | MYRECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook yams in stew?Add the yams, garbanzo beans, orange juice and zest, ginger, garlic, oregano ( photo 6 ) followed by the rest of the beef stock and red wine. Cook on LOW heat until the beef is tender and yams are soft; 6-8 hours (usually closer to 6 hours)! There is one last ingredient I LOVE in this stew: pitted prunes.
What is the best way to boil meat for stew?In same pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and tomatoes with a large pinch of salt and some pepper. When they soften, about 5 minutes, stir in paprika, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Return meat to pan, and add stock and wine; bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
How to cook yams in a slow cooker?To the slow cooker add the yams, garlic, orange juice and zest, ginger, oregano, and garbanzo beans/chickpeas (and prunes, if desired) distributing them evenly. Pour in the remaining beef stock and red wine. Cook over low heat for 6-8 hours until the beef is fully cooked and tender.
What are the best spices for beef stew?An array of exotic spices gives the life to this beef stew recipe: turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder (just enough to make it sassy without being overwhelmingly spicy), garlic, ginger, and oregano. Orange zest and juice, along with beef stock and some red wine are the basis for the sweet, savory, richly-flavored broth.