CHICKPEAS WITH SPINACH (GREEK)
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are tender.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, pepper flakes (to suit your taste), and oregano,and paprika.
- Cover and simmer for about 18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and cook about 7 minutes longer, or until spinach is cooked.
- Add the lemon juice (I usually like to add the juice of about 1 1/2 lemons. Add the juice of 1 lemon, taste and adjust to your own, personal taste), salt and pepper.
CHICKPEAS WITH TOMATOES & SPINACH
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion over a low heat until softened. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for a further 5 mins until the onions are golden and the garlic slightly toasted.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala and cumin, stirring over a low heat for a few secs. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and add the tomato purée, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan with 300ml water (fill the can three-quarters full). Simmer for 10 mins before stirring in the spinach to wilt. Season and serve with rice or naan.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 145 calories, Fat 6 grams fat, Carbohydrate 17 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 6 grams sugar, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 7 grams protein, Sodium 0.56 milligram of sodium
CHICKPEAS WITH BABY SPINACH
This is mostly a pantry dish, very quick to put together. You can serve it on its own, with couscous or pasta, or over a thick slice of toasted bread rubbed with garlic.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, easy, quick, weekday, main course
Yield Serves three
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring for one to two minutes, until fragrant and the tomato paste has turned a darker color. Add the chickpeas, the stock or water, and the cayenne, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, a handful at a time, stirring until each addition of spinach wilts. Add salt to taste and simmer uncovered, stirring often, for five minutes. Add lots of freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt and cayenne, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 306, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 43 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 12 grams, Protein 15 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 764 milligrams, Sugar 9 grams
SPINACH WITH CRISPY CHICKPEAS
- Place chickpeas on a paper-towel-lined plate to allow any excess liquid to be absorbed.
- Place flour in a deep bowl; add chickpeas and toss until completely coated with flour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. When oil begins to smoke, add chickpeas, shaking pot to coat chickpeas with oil; chickpeas will begin to snap and pop. Keep shaking or stirring pan occasionally, until chickpeas are golden brown all over, about 4 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; using a slotted spoon, transfer chickpeas to a plate and set aside.
- Place pot over medium-high heat and add remaining tablespoon oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add red pepper and spinach to pot and cook until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue cooking until spinach has completely wilted, about 30 seconds more.
- Transfer spinach to a serving plate and top with chickpeas; serve immediately.
INDIAN CURRIED CHICKPEAS WITH SPINACH
- Place drained spinach in a saucepan over medium heat and add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Cover and cook about 5 minutes more. Set aside without draining.
- Combine 1/2 cup water, onion, 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed. Add cooked spinach and liquid, chickpeas, 1/2 cup water, salt, and pepper. Cook until liquid is reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat and stir couscous and 1 teaspoon curry powder into the water. Cover saucepan and let stand until water is absorbed completely, about 10 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork.
- Plate 1 cup cooked couscous per serving, topped with 1/2 the spinach mixture.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 393.8 calories, Carbohydrate 75.9 g, Fat 3.4 g, Fiber 14.3 g, Protein 18.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 819.1 mg, Sugar 1.6 g
SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS
This comes from a Spanish cookbook I own. I have made it using about 1/2 cup of jarred, roasted, marinated bell pepper strips instead of the pimientos mentioned, and that worked well. And yes, it is 11 cups of spinach-it cooks away so much!
Provided by JustJanS
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden, but not brown; remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the onion and cumin, turmeric and cayenne and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chickpeas and stir until coated with the oil and spices.
- Stir in the spinach with just the water clinging to it, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes until wilted.
- Uncover, stir in the pimientos and continue cooking, stirring gently until the liquid evaporates.
- Season to taste and serve.
People also searched
More about "spinachwithchickpeas recipes"
SPINACH AND CHICKPEAS - THE HARVEST KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
CHICKPEAS WITH SPINACH RECIPE | COOKSTR.COM
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add the torn bread and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Remove any thick stems from the spinach. Wash the spinach well and shake off any excess water. Put the spinach in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often until it has wilted. Drain in a colander and cool. A handful at a time, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a chopping board and chop coarsely.
- Add the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, until warmed through. Add the chickpeas, garlic, paprika, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Crumble in the fried bread.
- Add the vinegar and 2 tablespoons water, and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are hot. Serve immediately.
AUTHENTIC GREEK RECIPES: GREEK CHICKPEAS WITH SPINACH ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
SPANISH SPINACH AND CHICKPEAS - ESPINACAS CON GARBANZOS RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
HOW TO MAKE INDIAN-STYLE SPINACH AND CHICKPEAS - BON ...
See details »
MEDITERRANEAN CHICKPEA STEW WITH SPINACH & FETA - A SAUCY ...
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat in a large skillet or sauce pot. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Add the garlic, oregano, cayenne and cloves and cook another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock and vinegar. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a simmer. Let cook 7-10 minutes to thicken the sauce - stir every so often.
- Stir in the chickpeas, spinach and feta. Cover and cook another 2-3 minutes. Season with salt as needed and garnish with red chili flakes and parsley and serve.
SPANISH SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS - FOOD AND JOURNEYS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Pour 1 tbsp olive oil on a medium to large skillet. Set heat to medium and add cubed bread. Cook until slightly brown. Take off the pan.
- Add ground cumin, sweet paprika, hot paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes, until properly combined.
CHICKPEA SPINACH CURRY (CHANA PALAK MASALA) - THE FIERY ...
4.6/5 (320)Category Lunch And DinnerCuisine IndianTotal Time 25 mins
- Add the crushed garlic and grated ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic doesn't smell raw anymore.
- Mix in the next four ingredients (ground coriander, turmeric, cumin, and cayenne) and toast for two minutes stirring often.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chickpeas and vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and once boiling, lower to medium-low to maintain at a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
SPINACH AND CHICKPEAS (ESPINACAS CON GARBANZOS) - SPANISH ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Re-coat the pan with olive oil and add in the bread cubes and raw almonds. Fry until the bread and almonds are browned and crispy on each side
SPANISH CHICKPEAS AND SPINACH - CAROLINE'S COOKING
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Remove the crusts from the bread and dice relatively small. Skin but don't chop the garlic (except in half if one large clove).
- Warm 1tbsp olive oil in a pan and saute the spinach until it wilts, in batches if need be, then remove and set aside.
- Add the other 1tbsp of oil to the pan and add the garlic and chunks of bread. Cook until gently brown on both sides then remove from the pan to either a mortar or small food processor.
SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
4.2/5 (12)Total Time 45 mins
- Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
SPANISH SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS - SIMPLE VEGAN BLOG
4.6/5 Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Cook the garlic (diced) in a saucepan with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add the paprika, stir and add the spinach (finely chopped). Add the water and salt to taste (optional) and cook for about 5 minutes. You can use oil instead of water to cook the spinach.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, stir, add more oil if you want (you can add more paprika and salt too) and cook for 5 minutes more.
INDIAN-SPICED CHICKEN WITH CHICKPEAS AND SPINACH
- Pan chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in an oven-safe pan (with a lid, such as a Dutch oven) on stove-top over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides until golden and remove to a plate.
- Add butter and onions to pan (don't remove drippings unless excessive). Cook, stirring regularly, until onions are soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes. (Don't rush browning the onions, as cooking them to golden adds great flavour to the dish). Stir in garlic, ginger and spices. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in chickpeas and 2 cups of broth. Return chicken to pan and any accumulated juices. Liquid should cover chicken by about 2/3. If not, add a bit more broth to top up. Bring liquid to a simmer, then cover and transfer to the pre-heated oven. Cook until chicken is fork-tender, about 45 minutes, depending on the cut of chicken you used.
- Remove from oven and transfer chicken to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. To hot liquid in pot, add spinach. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Stir in yogurt. Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste. (If sauce is not as thick as you'd like, mix a bit of the sauce with a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch to make a paste. Add a bit at a time to the warm sauce and stir until desired thickness). Return chicken to pot and warm over low heat (do not boil or yogurt may curdle).
SPINACH AND CHICKPEAS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the bread for about 5 minutes until golden brown all over, then add the garlic and cumin and cook for 1 more minute until the garlic is nutty brown.
- Stir until the chickpeas have absorbed the flavours and are hot, then season with salt and pepper. If the consistency is a little thick, add some water.
VEGETARIAN CHANA MASALA WITH SPINACH RECIPE
Calories 414Total Fat 18g 23%Saturated Fat 2g 12%Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
SPANISH SPINACH AND CHICKPEAS - TRADITIONAL SPANISH FOOD
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
SPINACH CHICKPEA RECIPE - CLEAN EATING
Cuisine American, VegetarianTotal Time 15 minsServings 2 See details »
SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS - ESPINACAS CON GARBANZOS - COOKING ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
INDIAN SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS - RECIPES - FAXO
See details »
SPANISH SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS RECIPES
See details »
SPINACH WITH CHICKPEAS | RECIPE | CHICKPEA RECIPES EASY ...
See details »
You'll also love