FRENCH POTATO PANCAKES
When the chef Daniel Rose was growing up, his mother would make potato pancakes the first and the last three nights of Hanukkah. These latkes are inspired by the French classic pommes Darphin, but the addition of onions puts them in a category all their own.
Provided by Joan Nathan
Categories breakfast, brunch, pancakes, side dish
Yield 6 servings (2 pancakes)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Working quickly to avoid discoloration, cut onion and potatoes in large chunks and then shred them, either by hand or by using the grating blade of a food processor.
- One handful at a time and working over the sink, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the potato and onion mixture and transfer to a medium bowl. Mix gently with your fingers. Pour the melted butter over the mixture, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and lightly work in with your fingers.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick frying pan and pour in enough grapeseed oil to lightly coat the bottom. When oil is almost smoking, spoon half the potato mixture into the pan, spreading it over the bottom of the pan and patting it down gently with a spatula so it is about an inch thick. Use the spatula to push in stray pieces to make a clean edge.
- Fry for about 4 minutes on one side or until golden brown around the edges, then slide onto a plate. Invert the pan over the plate and flip, transferring pancake back into the pan on its other side. Cook for another 4 minutes or until crispy on the outside.
- Slide pancake onto a paper-towel-covered plate and blot with additional paper towels to absorb excess oil. Remove top paper towels and flip pancake onto a clean plate using the same method as above. Keep in a warm oven as you repeat the process with the remaining potato mixture.
- Season finished pancakes with more salt if desired. Using a sharp knife, cut like a pie into 6 pieces and serve each with a little apple compote and a dollop of crème fraîche.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 355, UnsaturatedFat 22 grams, Carbohydrate 20 grams, Fat 31 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 394 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
CHEF JOHN'S CLASSIC POTATO PANCAKES
The one and only way to not get perfectly crispy potato pancakes is to not squeeze them properly. More than half the procedure was dedicated to grating, soaking, draining, and squeezing the potatoes. If you don't thoroughly squeeze all the liquid from the potatoes, the pancakes just won't crisp up as well. Top with thinly sliced smoked salmon, sour cream, and fresh dill.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place potatoes and onion into a large bowl and pour enough cold water in the bowl to cover by several inches. Let rest until potatoes and onion are completely soaked, 20 to 30 minutes. Pour potato mixture into a colander, rinse, drain, and squeeze repeatedly to remove all moisture.
- Whisk eggs, flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl until smooth.
- Mix potato mixture and egg mixture together in a large bowl with a spatula.
- Heat 1/4-inch oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, drop large spoonfuls of potato batter into hot oil and flatten with a spatula to about 1/2-inch thick. Cook until the edges of pancakes are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, flip pancakes, and cook until golden brown and crispy on the other side, about 5 minutes more. Repeat cooking process with remaining batter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 314.5 calories, Carbohydrate 52.1 g, Cholesterol 93 mg, Fat 8.3 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 9.3 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 633.1 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
CLASSIC POTATO PANCAKES
This is the classic latke, made with little more than grated potatoes and onions, with egg and flour for binding.
Provided by Andrew Friedman
Yield Makes about 24 pancakes
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Place 2 nonstick baking sheets in oven.
- Using box grater or food processor fitted with grating disc, coarsely grate onion and place in colander set in sink. Coarsely grate potatoes, add to colander, and set aside to drain.
- In large mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, then whisk in flour.
- Press potatoes and onion to extract as much liquid as possible, then add to egg/flour mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Using wooden spoon or hands, mix well, but do not overwork.
- In heavy-bottomed, 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter until hot but not smoking. Drop 4 scant 1/4-cup portions of potato mixture into pan and flatten with spatula to form four 3-inch pancakes.
- Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes, then turn over and fry until golden-brown and crisp, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season immediately with salt and pepper. Keep warm on baking sheets in oven while making remaining pancakes.
- Using paper towels, carefully wipe out pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter and fry 4 more pancakes. Repeat with remaining batter, wiping out pan and adding 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter before each batch.
- Serve pancakes hot with applesauce and/or sour cream.
We grew our own potatoes on the small farm in New Hampshire where I was raised. These pancakes are very good served with any pork dish.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 12 (2-inch) pancakes.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a sieve or colander, drain potatoes, squeezing to remove excess liquid. Pat dry; set aside. , In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in eggs until blended. Add onion and reserved potatoes; toss to coat., Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a preheated greased skillet. Fry in batches until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve with applesauce or syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 77 calories, Fat 1g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 36mg cholesterol, Sodium 21mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
THE POTATO PANCAKE PRINCIPLE BY JOAN NATHAN
From Food Editors' Favorites. Joan Nathan submitted this. The blurb said "Recently, when demonstrating how to make potato latkes for Hanukkah, I discarded my recipes and put together a ratio of potatoes to other ingredients. I call it the potato pancake principle". You can use 1 potato plus a beet or a zucchini instead of 2 potatoes. *Note-Joan recommends making them early in the day, letting them drain all day long (do not refrigerate), then crisping again just before eating by putting them on an ungreased cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven until just warm.
Provided by Oolala
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut potatoes, or potato and beet or zucchini, and onion into eighths; grate in food processor.
- Combine grated vegetables with eggs, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add enough matzo meal to held mixture together.
- Shape 2 tablespoons potato mixture with hands to make each pancake.
- Fry pancakes, a few at a time, in 1/2 inch of hot oil in a heavy skillet.
- When brown, turn and fry the other side.
- Drain well and serve with sour cream or applesauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 81.9, Fat 1.4, SaturatedFat 0.4, Cholesterol 52.9, Sodium 22.3, Carbohydrate 14.3, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 1, Protein 3.1
More about "the potato pancake principle by joan nathan recipes"
CLASSIC POTATO PANCAKES | COOKTORIA
POTATO PANCAKES RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
HOW TO MAKE POTATO PANCAKES - CLASSIC POTATO …
POTATO PANCAKES | ALLRECIPES
POTATO PANCAKES (DERUNY) RECIPE UKRAINIAN - CLASSIC PANCAKES
AMAZON.COM: JOAN NATHAN: BOOKS, BIOGRAPHY, LOG, AUDIOBOOKS, …
POTATO PANCAKES RECIPE - MOMSDISH
FREEZING AND REHEATING CUTS GREASE IN LATKES
THE FOODS OF ISRAEL TODAY: MORE THAN 300 RECIPES--AND
JOAN NATHAN POTATO KUGEL RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
THE POTATO PANCAKE PRINCIPLE BY JOAN NATHAN - JEWISH RECIPES
EXCITING NOODLE KUGEL – JOAN NATHAN | RECIPE | NOODLE KUGEL …
THE POTATO PANCAKE PRINCIPLE - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
JOAN NATHAN POTATO KUGEL RECIPES | DEPORECIPE.CO
THE POTATO PANCAKE PRINCIPLE BY JOAN… - 200,000+ FREE RECIPES
A FAST AND TASTY POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S POTATO PANCAKES - THE SEASONED MOM
RECIPES : JOAN NATHAN!
JOAN NATHAN'S BEST LATKE RECIPE | BEST LATKE RECIPE, LATKES RECIPES ...
JOAN NATHAN BIO, LATEST ARTICLES & RECIPES - PAGE 2 - EPICURIOUS.COM
JOAN NATHAN'S RECIPES FOR CLASSIC HANUKKAH DISHES | WVPB
SMOKED HADDOCK, POTATO PANCAKES AND MUSTARD CREME FRAICHE …
JOAN NATHAN'S TRADITIONAL CRISPY LATKES | LATKES, LATKES RECIPES ...
CRISPY TRADITIONAL POTATO PANCAKES RECIPE - COOKSRECIPES.COM
POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE EASY-TO-FRY POTATOES RECIPE - YOUTUBE
JOAN NATHAN POTATO LATKES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
HOMEMADE POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS …
JOAN NATHAN'S RECIPES FOR CLASSIC HANUKKAH DISHES | WBFO
STARCHEF JOAN NATHAN'S HOLIDAY RECIPE FOR CARROT AND PARSNIP …
JOAN NATHAN PASSOVER POTATO KUGEL RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
POTATO PANCAKE RECIPE - SNACK GIRL
TABLET MAGAZINE - JOAN NATHAN: HOW TO FRY UP A BATCH OF.
THE FOODS OF ISRAEL TODAY: MORE THAN 300 RECIPES--AND ... - EAT …
JOAN NATHAN'S RECIPES FOR CLASSIC HANUKKAH DISHES | WLRN
RECIPE: JOAN NATHAN'S CHICKEN SOUP IN 2022 - FOOD NEWS
#celebrity #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #healthy #pancakes-and-waffles #breakfast #side-dishes #eggs-dairy #potatoes #vegetables #jewish-ashkenazi #oven #easy #european #potluck #holiday-event #kid-friendly #kosher #low-fat #eggs #food-processor-blender #stove-top #dietary #hanukkah #low-sodium #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-in-something #onions #novelty #to-go #equipment #small-appliance
You'll also love