THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA
A light and healthy, but rich-tasting Greek-style dish
Provided by Angela Nilsen
Categories Dinner, Lunch, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, wide sauté pan. Tip in the onion and garlic, then fry for 6-8 mins until turning golden. Add the carrots and fry for 2 mins more. Stir the meat into the pan, breaking it up as you stir. Cook and stir over a high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Pour in the wine and briefly cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the cinnamon and allspice. Tip in the tomatoes, tomato purée and 1 tbsp water (mixed with any juices left in the can), then stir to break up the tomatoes. Season with some pepper, add all the oregano and half the parsley, cover, then simmer on a low heat for 50 mins, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Mix in the remaining parsley. Can be done a day ahead and refrigerated overnight.
- While the meat cooks (unless you are doing this a day ahead) prepare the aubergines. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/ gas 6. Brush a little of the remaining oil onto 2 large baking sheets. Mix the rest of the oil with the lemon juice. Slice the aubergines into 1cm thick lengthways slices, then lay them on the oiled baking sheets. Brush with the oil and lemon mix, then season with pepper. Bake for 20-25 mins until soft, then set aside. Lower oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Spread 2 big spoonfuls of the meat mixture on the bottom of an ovenproof dish (about 28 x 20 x 6cm deep). Lay the aubergine slices on top, slightly overlapping. Spoon the rest of the meat mixture on top. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Slacken the cornflour with a little of the yogurt, stir in the rest of the yogurt, then mix this into the eggs with half the cheese. Season with pepper. Pour and spread this over the meat to cover it. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese, a little cinnamon and a grating of pepper. Bake for 50 mins-1 hr until bubbling and golden.
- Leave moussaka to settle for 8-10 mins, then scatter over some chopped parsley and cut into squares. Serve with a salad of tomato, red onion and rocket.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 325 calories, Fat 15 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 19 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 14 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 28 grams protein, Sodium 0.65 milligram of sodium
AUTHENTIC GREEK MOUSSAKA
This traditional moussaka is truly the best, and just as authentic as any you'd try in Greece! While it takes a bit of time, it's actually quite simple to make. Kali orexi! (Bon appetit!)
Provided by Anonymous
Categories World Cuisine Recipes European Greek
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and place in a colander set in the sink or over a plate. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour so the salt can draw out any bitterness.
- Meanwhile, make bechamel sauce. Heat milk in a saucepan almost to a boil. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until a smooth paste forms. Lower heat and gradually pour in hot milk, whisking constantly until bechamel sauce thickens. Season with salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Rinse eggplant slices under cold running water. Squeeze out liquid and pat dry with paper towels. Whisk egg yolks into the cooled bechamel.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and cook eggplant slices in batches until each side is lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on a large plate lined with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Cook grated onion until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground beef. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Season with allspice, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook until all excess liquid has evaporated and mixture appears dry, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the egg white.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant in the prepared baking dish. Cover eggplant with all of the beef mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese. Cover with remaining eggplant and sprinkle another 1/3 of Parmesan cheese on top. Pour bechamel sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top of the moussaka is set and golden, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 628 calories, Carbohydrate 35.3 g, Cholesterol 172.8 mg, Fat 44.2 g, Fiber 11.2 g, Protein 26.2 g, SaturatedFat 18.5 g, Sodium 718.3 mg, Sugar 16.7 g
More about "the ultimate makeover moussaka recipes"
NIGHTMARES KITCHEN JON - GCO.VILLETTEASCHIERA.PERUGIA.IT
EASY GREEK MOUSSAKA RECIPE | WANDERCOOKS
TOP 47 BEEF MINCE RECIPE-RECIPES
CHEAT’S CAULI ’N’ BROC CHEESE | RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD RECIPES, …
MOUSSAKA, 31P [VG/V/DF/GF*] - COOKING ON A BOOTSTRAP
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA
PIN ON FOOD - IN.PINTEREST.COM
EVERYDAY - THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER MOUSSAKA. - FREE ONLINE LIBRARY
RECIPES - THE ULTIMATE MOUSSAKA - PURSTON LAMB
PERSONAL RECIPE: THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER MOUSSAKA RECIPE
CLASSIC MOUSSAKA (THE BEST) | RICARDO
GREEK RECIPES: THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVE MOUSSAKA | HOME DELICIOUS RECIPE
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA RECIPE
WATERSTONE'S BOOKSTORE - VEGAN CHALLENGE - UK DIRECT SALE
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: SPAGHETTI CARBONARA RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA - MEDITERRANEAN RECIPES
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA RECIPE | DELICIOUS RECIPES
THE ULTIMATE LUXURY MOUSSAKA RECIPE - ALO MAGAZINE
RANDOM RECIPE IDEA FOR DINNER | THE-ULTIMATE-MAKEOVER-MOUSSAKA …
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: PRAWN COCKTAIL - DAIRY FREE RECIPES
HOW TO COOK PERFECT MOUSSAKA | GREEK FOOD AND DRINK - THE …
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MACARONI CHEESE RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
HEALTHY RECIPE FOOD: HEALTHY SALADS - THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER …
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA
MUST MAKE MOUSSAKA RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
HEALTHY SALADS - THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER MOUSSAKA
TOP 48 RECIPE FOR TRI TIP ROAST RECIPES
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: MOUSSAKA | RECIPE | MOUSSAKA RECIPE, BBC …
KITCHEN NIGHTMARES JON - RZN.LOGIN.GR.IT
MOUSSAKA MAKEOVER – THE IRISH BALANCE
JON NIGHTMARES KITCHEN - DSE.CERTIFICAZIONI.CAMPANIA.IT
MOUSSAKA, A SPECTACULAR DISH WITH A CURIOUS HISTORY, GETS A (LONG ...
NAME FOOD LONGEST - ZAN.INTERNAZIONALE.MO.IT
MOUSSAKA RECIPE (GREEK-INSPIRED) | KITCHN
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love