THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS
This easy basic recipe for rice salad comes from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. Turning it into an side dish for Japanese, Mexican, or Indian dinners is as simple as following one of the many variations.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Put the rice and all the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette and use two big forks to combine, fluffing the rice and tossing gently to separate the grains.
- Stir in the parsley, taste, and adjust the seasoning or moisten with a little more dressing. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for up to a day, bringing the salad back to room temperature before serving.
- Rice Salad, Japanese Style: Use brown or white short-grain rice. Halve the amount of celery and carrot and finely chop them or shred them on a grater. Add 1 cup cubed firm tofu (preferably baked). Instead of the vinaigrette, toss with 1/4 cup or so of Simple Miso Dipping Sauce (made by whisking together 6 tablespoons miso paste, 3/4 cup warm water or sake, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon mirin or honey, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar plus more to taste, and salt to taste). Instead of the parsley, crumble 2 sheets of nori over the rice salad and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons black or white sesame seeds.
- Rice Salad, Mexican Style: Long-grain or medium-grain, white or brown, all work well here. When blending the vinaigrette, add 1 tablespoon chili powder and 2 tablespoons Mexican crema or mayonnaise. Instead of celery and carrot, add 1 cup chopped fresh tomato. Substitute chopped fresh cilantro for the parsley and, at the same time, add 2 chopped hard-cooked eggs and chopped jalapeño chiles if you like. Serve with lime wedges.
- Rice Salad, Indian Style: Use brown or white basmati rice. When making the vinaigrette, use rice wine vinegar, replace the oil with coconut milk, and add 1 tablespoon curry powder, or more to taste. Instead of the bell pepper, celery, and carrot, add 1/2 cup each cubed cooked potato, cooked cauliflower florets, and green peas (cooked frozen are fine). Substitute cilantro for the parsley.
- Citrus Rice Salad: Use any rice. Instead of red wine vinegar, make the vinaigrette with freshly squeezed citrus juice-choose from lemon, lime, orange, blood orange, tangerine, pink grapefruit, or a combination. Whatever you use, add 2 tablespoons of the grated zest and 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey to the blender. Do not include the scallion or the vegetables. (You might want to use a little less dressing.) Instead of the parsley, use mint if you like. A handful of chopped almonds or pecans make a nice addition.
- Tomato Rice Salad: Use any kind of brown or white rice. When making the vinaigrette, eliminate the vinegar and add 1 medium tomato to the blender. Instead of the scallion and other vegetables, add 2 cups chopped fresh tomato (a mixture of heirloom varieties is nice).Instead of the parsley, use chopped fresh basil or mint, or 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, chervil, dill, or about a tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves.
AUSSIE RICE SALAD
Updated after so-so reviews:D Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. From an Australian recipe website. Prep time does not include cook time for rice. Although I've stipulated imitation bacon bits, you are welcome to use real bacon if you'd prefer. Update: I finally tweaked this to a satisfactory end, so if you'd still like to try this I recommend it. I reduced the soy sauce and allspice, and upped the mayonnaise a bit. I really don't like salads too big on mayonnaise, but I still thought this could do with a bit more. I also agreed that the allspice and onions were tasty together, and the vegetables added a pleasing sweetness. I think water chestnuts instead of the bacon bits would be nice too. Thanks if you try this again!
Provided by Kumquat the Cats fr
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine rice, vegetables and bacon bits.
- Mix soy sauce, mayonnaise, allspice and cilantro.
- Stir sauce into rice mixture and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 215.5, Fat 1.9, SaturatedFat 0.3, Cholesterol 1, Sodium 544.3, Carbohydrate 44.6, Fiber 4.3, Sugar 5.3, Protein 6.3
WILD RICE SALAD
Since I spend part of my summers in northern Minnesota near the wild rice fields. I have tried many recipes featuring this delicious, nutty-flavored grain in the past 46 years. This salad is often requested by family and friends! -Florence Jacoby, Granite Falls, Minnesota
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt or substituting seasoned salt if desired. Drain well; cool to room temperature. Spoon into a large bowl; add chicken, grapes, water chestnuts and mayonnaise. Toss gently with a fork. Cover and chill., Just before serving, add cashews if desired. Serve on lettuce leaves or line a bowl with lettuce leaves and fill with salad.
Nutrition Facts :
More about "the world of rice salads recipes"
EASY SUMMER RICE SALAD | I HEART RECIPES
RICE SALAD RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
10 BEST COLD RICE SALAD RECIPES | YUMMLY
TOP-RATED RICE SALADS - ALLRECIPES
Author Vicky McdonaldPublished 2021-03-24
- Brown Rice and Black Bean Salad. Rave Review: "This is one of our summer staples. It goes together quickly and easily; it's good for you and yummy.
- Confetti Rice Salad. A deliciously colorful lunch with a sherry vinegar dressing. The best part: all the veggies can be prepped in 15 minutes or less.
- Insalata di Riso (Italian Rice Salad) Rave Review: "This makes a great summer lunch, dinner, or picnic salad. The recipe as written is a great launching recipe - add anything you want or delete anything you don't want.
- Mediterranean Rice Salad with Vegetables. A veggie-packed rice salad with pops of bright yellow bell pepper, tangy capers and lemony dressing.
- Brown Rice and Belgian Endive Salad. Rave Review: "Need a healthy snack or lunch that will keep you full? Belgian endive and brown rice make for a refreshing lunch.
- Rice and Ham Salad. A lighter dish with a southern twist! Coated in French dressing, mayo and a touch of curry, this rice salad's pungent yellow color will draw the eye AND the taste buds.
- Orzo and Wild Rice Salad. Rave Review: "This wonderful salad of pasta, currants, and vegetables is dressed with a tangy vinaigrette." — CWillemin.
- Mediterranean Brown Rice Salad. Rave Review: "I used white balsamic vinegar and loved the mild and pleasant sweet flavor combined with the tang of the Dijon mustard.
- Spicy Forbidden Rice Salad. An Asian-inspired salad with eye-catching black rice, a soy sauce base and vibrant veggies for color and crunch.
- Santa Fe Rice Salad. A risotto-textured Mexican rice salad with fibrous black beans and spicy jalapeno. It only requires half an hour of cooling before it's time to devour!
THE WORLD OF RICE SALAD RECIPES | SEASONED RICE RECIPES, HEALTHY …
RECIPES > RICE > HOW TO MAKE ASIAN RICE SALAD - EASY RECIPES
TOP 20+ RECIPE COLD RICE SALAD - CUISINE.BEST
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS.COM RECIPE | YUMMLY ...
13 RICE SALAD RECIPES (+ EASY MEAL IDEAS) - INSANELY GOOD
COWBOY RICE SALAD | RECIPETIN EATS
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
RICE SALAD, RECIPE STEP BY STEP - EASY RECIPES
RECIPE FOR RICE SALAD RECIPE - ALL TASTY RECIPES
SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS RICE SALAD RECIPE - DAINTY RICE
RICE SALAD RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
EASY RICE SALAD RECIPE - BOSS RECIPES
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
RICE SALADS RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
EPICURIOUS THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS RECIPES RECIPE
EASY RICE SALAD - RETRO RECIPE BOX
RICE SALAD RECIPES - WHITE, BROWN, WILD & MORE | TASTE OF HOME
RICE SALAD DRESSING RECIPE - BOSSRECIPES.COM
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS | RECIPE IN 2022 | RICE SALAD, RECIPES, …
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS | RECIPE | RICE SALAD, RECIPES, SALAD RECIPES
TOP 45 BEST RICE SALAD RECIPE EVER RECIPES - BEHA.DCMUSIC.CA
RECIPES FOR RICE SALADS : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
16 BEST RICE SALAD RECIPES IDEAS IN 2021 - FOOD NEWS
ZEN RICE SALAD FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
LIST OF 10+ COLD RICE SALAD RECIPES - CUISINE.BEST
RICE SALAD RECIPES
COLD RICE DISHES FOR BUFFET RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
14 RICE SALAD RECIPES FOR A QUICK & HEARTY MEAL
RECIPES FOR RICE SALAD COLD : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS | RECIPE CLOUD APP
COLD RICE SALAD RECIPE - RECIPE IDEAS, PRODUCT REVIEWS, HOME …
RECIPE FOR RICE SALAD FOOD
RICE SALAD RECIPE COLD - RECIPE IDEAS, PRODUCT REVIEWS, HOME …
THE WORLD OF RICE SALADS RECIPE RECIPE EPICURIOUS RECIPES
You'll also love