This is my version of Turkish kebabs which I made 'off the cuff' after searching unsuccessfully for a recipe online. The original sandwiches are made from meat that is pressed into a loaf and grilled on a rotating spit. The meat is shaved off as it gets crispy and then put into a pita sandwich. My recipe calls for thin slices of meat to be marinated and then broiled to get the same effect without a huge rotating grill. Serve in a warmed pita with goat cheese, tzatziki sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pepperoncinis.
Provided by RACHEY638
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Place the chopped onions in a large ceramic bowl and crush with the bottom of a glass until juice is rendered and onions look translucent. Stir in 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, oregano, 1 teaspoon black pepper, turmeric, curry powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well; add the sliced beef and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Combine the sour cream, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, dill, and 1 crushed clove of garlic. Mix well; cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Remove the meat from the marinade mixture, brushing off extra onions. Spread the slices on a baking sheet without overlapping, and salt to taste. Broil about 3 minutes per side or until browned and crispy, turning halfway through cooking.
- Divide the cooked meat between the pita breads, and drizzle with tzatziki sauce to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 511.8 calories, Carbohydrate 36 g, Cholesterol 33.5 mg, Fat 34.3 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 15.7 g, SaturatedFat 9.4 g, Sodium 890.5 mg, Sugar 3.1 g
This recipe is for classic Turkish lamb kebabs, with a marinade that includes tomato paste and a mix of spices for an intense flavor.
Provided by Anissa Helou
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- To make the marinade:
- Mix together the garlic, olive oil, tomato paste, spices, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare the kebabs:
- Add the meat to the marinade and toss. Let marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare a charcoal fire in an outdoor grill, switch on the gas if you have an outdoor gas grill, or preheat the broiler to high.
- Thread the meat onto 7 long skewers and the tomatoes onto an eighth one. Grill over high heat or broil 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the meat and tomatoes are done to your liking. Slip the meat and tomatoes off the skewers onto flatbread and serve immediately.
TURKISH CHICKEN KEBABS
I'd like to think that all the chicken coming off American grills this summer will be as tasty, juicy, and tender as these Turkish chicken kebabs. By using a flavorful, yogurt-based marinade, like the one seen herein, even inexperienced grillers can produce impressive results. I'm not sure how 'Turkish' this is--it's loosely based on a lamb marinade I've used for a long time.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, ketchup, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Place chicken thigh halves into the yogurt marinade and coat them thoroughly on all sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Using 2 skewers for each kebab, thread half of the chicken thighs onto each pair of skewers making a fairly thick "log" shape.
- Place kebabs on grill. Do not try to turn them until they begin to unstick from the grill, 3 or 4 minutes. Turn kebabs and grill the other side 3 or 4 minutes; turn. Continue cooking and turning until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 6 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 538.9 calories, Carbohydrate 8.4 g, Cholesterol 186.3 mg, Fat 32.5 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 51.8 g, SaturatedFat 9.1 g, Sodium 1721.6 mg, Sugar 4.2 g
VEGAN TURKISH KEBABS WITH SUMAC ONIONS AND GARLIC-DILL MAYONNAISE
These vegan ground meat kebabs are inspired by Turkish street food. The kebabs themselves can be served on their own with the garlic-dill mayonnaise, or made into wraps, or tucked into Turkish bread or pita for sandwiches, with garlic-dill mayonnaise, sumac onions and tomatoes.
Provided by J. Kenji López-Alt
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 23
- Make the sumac onions: Combine all ingredients and toss until the onion pieces are separated and well coated. (You should have about 1 1/2 cups. Sumac onions should be used the day they are made.)
- Make the garlic-dill mayonnaise: Put 18 garlic cloves in a medium pot, and cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Continue cooking for 30 seconds. Drain garlic and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, mince the remaining 2 garlic cloves. In a food processor, combine blanched and raw garlic, mayonnaise and lemon juice; process until completely smooth. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Transfer mixture to a bowl, stir in minced dill, and season to taste with salt and pepper. (You should have about 1 1/2 cups.)
- Make the kebabs: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and fold with very clean hands until fully incorporated. Divide mixture in half, then divide each half into 6 equal balls. Working on a clean cutting board, roll them into cylinders about 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut each cylinder in half to form 24 small logs.
- Cook and serve: In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil until shimmering. Add the logs, working in batches if necessary to prevent crowding. Cook on one side until well browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on second side until well browned and cooked through, another 1 1/2 minutes. (Alternatively, cook on a hot grill until lightly charred and cooked through.) Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with sumac onions, garlic-dill mayonnaise, cherry tomatoes, arugula, hot sauce and Turkish bread or pita.
For these Kebabs the meat mixture is shaped into long rolls about the size of a sausage. The secret of success is to make the mixture fine and smooth. Serve them with pitta bread , greek salad, hummous and greek yogurt and barbecue sauce.
Provided by sligheal45
Yield Serves 12
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Put lamb, onion and garlic in a food processer , mix untill smooth. Stir in the cumin, seasoning, parsely and mix well.
- With floured hands, shape the mixture into a sausages about 8cm / 2 1\2 inches. Placein a single layer on a plate, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for several hours, or over night.
- To cook: thread the kebabs on to oiled skewers and brush them all over with oil. Barbecure or under a moderate grill for 10-15 mins turning once during cooking.
More about "turkish kebabs recipes"
TURKISH STYLE BEEF KöFTE KEBAB RECIPE | A GOOD CARROT
KOFTA KEBAB RECIPE (WITH VIDEO) | THE MEDITERRANEAN …
AUTHENTIC TURKISH CHICKEN KEBAB (TAVUK ŞIş) RECIPE
ADANA KEBABS (TURKISH LAMB SKEWERS) | SAVEUR
TURKISH KEBAB RECIPE (WITH TURKEY CUBES) - WHERE IS …
TURKISH CHICKEN SHISH KEBAB RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
25 EASY TURKISH RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
TURKISH LAMB KOFTA KEBABS | RECIPETIN EATS
GRILLED TURKISH KOFTA KEBABS I PANNING THE GLOBE
BEST TURKISH MINCED-MEAT KEBABS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
CLASSIC TURKISH KEBABS - RECIPE | SPICE TREKKERS
THE REAL TURKISH SHISH KEBAB RECIPE
20 BEST & MOST FAMOUS TURKISH KEBABS (W/ AUTHENTIC …
- Şiş Kebab (Shish kebab) A traditional and familiar Turkish kebab of meat and vegetables, generally cubed and threaded onto a skewer before being grilled and served with bread and rice with salads.
- Adana Kebab. Hailing from the South-Eastern Turkish province of the same name, Adana kebab is a spicy (read: hot) kebab made from ground mince formed over a wide skewer and grilled over charcoals.
- Iskender Kebab. This kebab inspired Iskender Efendi to invent the vertically cooking kebab and originates from his seaside hometown of Bursa. Iskender kebab is essentially döner kebab, served with a slathering of melted butter over a bed of bread, with yogurt on the side.
- Cağ Kebab. This kebab is commonly accepted as the predecessor to the modern döner kebab. It is made from lamb meat cooked on a horizontal rotisserie before being sliced off and grilled on a skewer.
- Patlıcan Kebab (Eggplant kebab) If you’re an eggplant fanatic, then Turkey is the perfect place for your culinary pilgrimage. There are 2 different types of Patlıcan Kebabı in Turkey.
- Ciğer Kebab (Liver kebab) Don’t be put off – this Turkish kebab is more delicious than it sounds! This tasty kebab is made from portions of lamb livers, diced and marinated with herbs, and grilled on a skewer before being served with bread and salads.
- Döner Kebab. The world-famous Turkish kebab means ‘rotating’ kebab in Turkish. It is made from lamb, chicken, or beef, slowly roasted on a vertical spit, and then thinly sliced off.
- Hünkar Beğendi (Sultan kebab) This is also known as the Sultan’s kebab because it was the favorite kebab of Ottoman sultans. It is made from sliced lamb meat, served over a bed of creamy pureed eggplant flavored with herbs.
- Tandır Kebabı (Büryan) Generally hailing from Central or Eastern Anatolia, this kebab is made from lamb pieces – or even a whole lamb – baked slowly over many hours in a unique traditional oven called a tandır.
- Testi Kebabı (Pottery kebab) This unique Turkish kebab originated in Central Anatolia and the Black Sea region. It consists of meat and vegetables cooked in a clay pot (‘testi’ means jug, in Turkish) over the fire.
TURKEY KIBBE KEBABS WITH TWO SAUCES RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
TURKISH ADANA KEBAB RECIPE (GROUND LAMB KEBAB) - GIVE RECIPE
WHAT BEEF FOR SHISH KABOBS - THESUPERHEALTHYFOOD
ADANA KEBAP - TURKISH FOOD RECIPES - TURKISHFOOD.CA
SHISH TAWOOK (TURKISH CHICKEN KEBAB) - COOKING GORGEOUS
TURKISH BEEF KEBABS | FOOD TO LOVE
LAMB SHISH KEBAB - FAB TURKISH LAMB SKEWERS| GREEDY GOURMET
TURKISH KEBABS - THE BATCH LADY
BEST TURKISH KEBABS (HOMEMADE RECIPES) - GIVE RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE TURKISH CHICKEN SHISH KEBABS - DAYS OF JAY
TASTY TURKISH KEBABS - BOSH!
HOME STYLE BEYTI KEBAB | OZLEM'S TURKISH TABLE
TURKISH CHICKEN KEBABS - COOKING CIRCLE
TURKISH KEBABS RECIPE | MASALA TV
THIS TURKISH RESTAURANT SERVES WEDDING SOUP AND SMOKY CABBAGE …
TURKISH ADANA KEBAB RECIPE - TRAVEL FOOD ATLAS
TURKISH CHICKEN KEBAB|ADANA KEBABS RECIPE|CHICKEN KEBAB|CHICKEN …
TURKISH LAMB KEBABS RECIPE BY CHEF ABDULLA FROM TURKEY
TURKISH SHISH KEBABS WITH GARLICKY TAHINI RECIPE - STEVEN RAICHLEN ...
TURKISH ADANA KEBAB RECIPE | TURKISH KEBAB WITHOUT GRILL …
THE LEGEND OF TURKISH CUISINE, KEBAB | VERY EASY, HOMEMADE …
TURKISH LAMB SHISH KEBAB RECIPE - MY MORNING MOCHA
TURKISH LAMB SHISH KEBAB FROM GAZIANTEP | RECIPE | A KITCHEN IN …
ADANA KEBAB – TURKISH RECIPES
TURKISH KEBABS — THE PALMIER
SHISH KEBAB SEASONING - FUSS FREE FLAVOURS
GRILLED TURKISH SPICE BLEND - TURKISH KEBABS | CHEF ALIYE
URFA KEBABS: THE SECRET TO THE BEST TURKISH KEBAB - CHEF DENISE
TURKISH KEBAB RECIPES | A KITCHEN IN ISTANBUL
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a Turkish kebab?This is my version of Turkish kebabs which I made 'off the cuff' after searching unsuccessfully for a recipe online. The original sandwiches are made from meat that is pressed into a loaf and grilled on a rotating spit. The meat is shaved off as it gets crispy and then put into a pita sandwich.
What are the ingredients in the Turkey kebabs recipe?Ingredients 1 750 g/ 1.7 lbs turkey breast 2 1 medium onion 3 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika powder 4 1 teaspoon dried thyme 5 1 teaspoon fine sea salt + more to sprinkle over the kebabs 6 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper 7 3 tablespoons rice or cider vinegar 8 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil More ...
How do you make kebab kebabs?1/4 cup pistachio nuts , ground (Optional. I use my food processor) (Note 2) Mix together Yoghurt Sauce ingredients and place in the refrigerator to allow the flavours to develop. Place the Kebab ingredients except the oil in a bowl and use your hands to just combine (don't over mix). Divide into 8 portions and mould onto skewers.
How to make Turkish kofta kebab?Turkish kofta kebab made with ground lamb and beef, onion, garlic and spices. Soak 14 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven at 200C. Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse it until everything is combined. Transfer the mixture in a large bowl. Take a handful portion of the meat mixture and mould it on a wooden skewer.