These pastries make a stunning first course when filled with a seafood stew, soft scrambled eggs, or creamed mushrooms. For best results, use a vol-au-vent cutter, although round cookie cutters can also be used.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 4
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4-inch vol-au-vent cutter, cut out 4 rounds. If using a 3 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 rounds; cut out centers from half the rounds with a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to form rings.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and cream. Using a pastry brush, moisten top of each vol-au-vent with egg wash, being careful not to let any drip down over the cut edges. (Or moisten each ring and round with egg wash; lay one ring on top of each round, lining up outside edges.) Place vol-au-vents on an ungreased baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap; place in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake until vol-au-vents are puffed and golden on the outside, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue baking 10 to 12 minutes to let insides cook through.
- Transfer vol-au-vents to a wire rack. While still warm, cut out center of tops with a paring knife; set aside. Remove and discard inside dough, and let shells cool completely. Spoon or pipe in desired filling. Replace tops, and serve.
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD
This is a delectable combination of fresh local shellfish in a rich, creamy sauce reminiscent of the old-fashioned Newburg sauce, but a touch spicier. The vol-au-vent--a large version of what Orleanians call a "patty shell" should be bought fresh from a French baker. (I guess you could make it yourself, but the work is ridiculous.)
Provided by Steve P.
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the green onions and shallots until they're limp.
- Add the wine and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce until most of the liquid is gone.
- Add the cream, saffron, salt, pepper, cayenne and ginger, and bring to a light boil.
- (Also add tarragon at this point if using dried.) Add scallops and shrimp.
- Cook for four minutes, then add oysters and fresh tarragon.
- Cook until edges of oysters are curly.
- Throughout the process, agitate pan to slosh the sauce over the seafoods.
- Spoon the seafoods into a puff pastry shell, until seafoods and sauce run over the top and onto the plate.
VOL AU VENTS
- Put the stock and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and turn off the heat.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan and fry the onions for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until shrunken, dark and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until it disappears. Pour over the stock, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the creme fraiche and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the vol au vent shells and serve.
- Heat butter in frying pan.
- When hot add onion carrot and celery; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix in curry powder and flour; mix again.
- Cook 1 minute uncovered over medium heat.
- Pour in chicken stock and season well.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes uncovered over medium heat.
- Add cream and parsley, mix well.
- Continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in seafood; simmer 2 to 3 minutes over low heat.
- Fill vo-au-vent shells and serve.
More about "vol au vent of louisiana seafood recipes"
SEAFOOD FILLED VOL-AU-VENT - CITYLINE
QUICK SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENT | CANADIAN LIVING
VOL AU VENT FRUITS DE MER : RECIPES - COOKING CHANNEL
VOL-AU-VENT AUTHENTIC RECIPE | TASTEATLAS
SEAFOOD VOL AU VENTS | FOOD TO LOVE
10 BEST SEAFOOD VOL AU VENT RECIPES | YUMMLY
READY TO TRY SOME LOUISIANA SEAFOOD? | LOUISIANA …
10 BEST VOL AU VENT RECIPES | YUMMLY
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD - CKBK
SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENT - THRIFTY FOODS
28 VOL AU VENT IDEAS | VOL AU VENT, FOOD, RECIPES
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD - PLAIN.RECIPES
52 VOL AU VENT IDEAS IN 2021 | VOL AU VENT, RECIPES, FOOD
SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENT RECIPE - FOOD.COM - PINTEREST
SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENT | SAQ.COM
VOL AU VENTS RECIPES WITH SEAFOOD AND FISH
SEAFOOD VOL AU VENT | THE COOK UP | ADAM LIAW | SBS FOOD
SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENTS | ARCTIC GARDENS
17 BEST VOL-AU-VENT RECIPES WITH A RETRO SPIN - INSANELY GOOD
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
VOL+AU+VENT RECIPES | BIGOVEN
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD RECIPE ~ MENUIVA.COM
SAUTE OF LOUISIANA CRAWFISH VOL-AU-VENT RECIPE - COOKING CHANNEL
BEST VOL AU VENTS RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SAUTE OF LOUISIANA CRAWFISH VOL-AU-VENT - BIGOVEN.COM
SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENT | PREMIèRE MOISSON
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD RECIPE - FOOD.COM
SEAFOOD VOL AU VENTS - 9KITCHEN - NINE.COM.AU
VOL-AU-VENT OF LOUISIANA SEAFOOD - NOMENU.COM
10 BEST SEAFOOD VOL AU VENT RECIPES | YUMMLY
VOL AU VENT FRUITS DE MER RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SMOKED SEAFOOD VOL-AU-VENT | CANADIAN LIVING
#oysters #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #main-dish #condiments-etc #seafood #american #cajun #french #southern-united-states #european #shrimp #stove-top #creole #dietary #low-carb #scallops #low-in-something #shellfish #equipment
You'll also love