ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
Here's a simple, robust, cold-weather soup that you can make with almost any mixture of root vegetables you have to hand: carrots, parsnips, celery root, turnips, rutabaga, sweet or regular potato. Flavored with garlic, rosemary and bay leaves on top of a saute of onions and celery, it's an earthy, sweet, and warming meal for days where the air has some bite. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice, some grated cheese, flaky salt and a shower of black pepper.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories easy, soups and stews
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Stir in onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, rosemary and bay leaves; cook 1 minute more. Add root vegetables, 8 cups water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove and discard rosemary branches and bay leaves. Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. (Alternatively, you can purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.) If the soup is too thick, add a little water. Season with lemon juice and more salt to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil, a few drops of lemon juice, flaky salt and crushed chile or grated cheese, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 263, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 30 grams, Fat 13 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 581 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
HEARTY WINTER-VEGETABLE SOUP
On a chilly day, this rustic soup -- made with potatoes, leeks, butternut squash, and escarole -- will warm you right up. Serve it with our Popovers.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Soups, Stews & Stocks Soup Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook leeks, celery, carrots, garlic, red-pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until leeks are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add stock and water, and bring to a boil.
- Add squash and potatoes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in escarole and chickpeas, and return to a boil. Stir in lemon juice and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
I needed to use up root vegetables I had on hand and came up with this recipe. A creamy, savory, and slightly sweet soup that is comforting on a cold winter night.
Provided by LOOSENUP
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Soup Recipes Vegetable Soup Recipes Squash Soup Recipes Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Combine parsnips, carrots, celery root, turnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash in a large roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Toss vegetables to evenly distribute seasonings.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the vegetables are easily pierced with a fork, 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the celery and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer, uncovered. Stir in the roasted vegetables and continue simmering for 10 minutes. Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Stir in the half and half, and season with salt and pepper, if necessary. If the soup becomes too thick, add more vegetable broth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 324.1 calories, Carbohydrate 40.7 g, Cholesterol 22.7 mg, Fat 18 g, Fiber 10.4 g, Protein 5.2 g, SaturatedFat 6.4 g, Sodium 1786.4 mg, Sugar 9.2 g
SLOW COOKER ROOT VEGGIE WINTER SOUP
Delicious root vegetable soup for those chilly winter days. My daughter wants this for Christmas! Can be served alone, over rice, or with grilled baguettes.
Provided by Tamara A
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Soup Recipes Vegetable Soup Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Combine vegetable broth, chicken broth, and water in a slow cooker set on High. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds and dried cilantro.
- Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, tarragon, and coriander seeds in a spice grinder; pulse until finely ground. Stir into the slow cooker.
- Stir carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and onion into the slow cooker. Cook on High until liquid is boiling. Reduce to Low and cook until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork, about 5 hours.
- Season with white pepper; garnish with green onion.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133.9 calories, Carbohydrate 30.5 g, Cholesterol 0.8 mg, Fat 0.7 g, Fiber 7.6 g, Protein 3.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.2 g, Sodium 196.7 mg, Sugar 12.8 g
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP WITH MUSHROOMS
Make and share this Winter Root Vegetable Soup With Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chef EBT
Yield 4 bowls, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat 2 Tablespoons canola oil in a 4-quart saucepan or soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook slowly without browning until soft. Add a few drops of water or chicken broth if pan becomes dry.
- Add parsnip, celery root, turnip, leek and potato and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir until vegetables begin to get tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are completely tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium sauté pan over moderately high heat.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons oil and sauté mushrooms, stirring, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Transfer root vegetables and liquid from the saucepan to a blender and puree until smooth. (Puree in two batches, if necessary.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide soup among four bowls, add mushrooms to each and garnish with chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 234.8, Fat 15.7, SaturatedFat 1.5, Sodium 129.7, Carbohydrate 19.4, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 4, Protein 7.1
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
I'VE ENJOYED this soup for years because it tastes good, is simple to make and doesn't leave a lot of leftovers. When there's a chill in the air, a steaming bowl of this savory soup is welcome. -Mavis Diment, Marcus, Iowa
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the broth, potato, carrot and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, salt if desired and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 168 calories, Fat 8g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 5mg cholesterol, Sodium 125mg sodium, Carbohydrate 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
WINTER HARVEST VEGETABLE SOUP
Rich, earthy root vegetables blend with savory spices and the tartness of apples in this wonderful soup from Barbara Marakowski of Loysville, Pennsylvania. "A friend gave me this low-fat recipe after my husband's cardiac surgery and now, it's our favorite. It gets even better with reheating!"
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings (3 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the carrots, celery and onions in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. , Add the broth, potatoes, squash, apples, turnips, parsnips and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. , Stir in the basil, thyme and pepper; simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Garnish with additional green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 134 calories, Fat 2g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 3mg cholesterol, Sodium 404mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
With the liberal use of root vegetables, this Australian soup shows its British origins. In preparing the soup, feel free to make substitutions in the vegetables, for example using sweet potatoes instead of white one. Just remember to keep the approximate volume the same. January 2007: I have finally made this soup and added both indgredients and directions to improve the final dish. Changes made since the first two reviews are noted.
Provided by justcallmetoni
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Add all of the vegetables, stock, water and bay leaves to a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are quite soft.
- Allow the vegetables to cool a little then puree in a food processor in batches until smooth. (Added January 2007: Include 2 cups of the cooking liquid reserving the rest to adjust the thickness later.).
- Return to the heat and stir in the pepper and soy sauce or salt.
- If using, stir in the yogurt taking care to not let the soup boil. (Added January 2007: If the soup is too thick for your taste, stir in a bit of the reserved cooking liquid.).
- Serve sprinkled with chopped chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 102.9, Fat 0.2, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 39.6, Carbohydrate 24.1, Fiber 4, Sugar 4.5, Protein 2.6
More about "winter root vegetable soup recipes"
THE ULTIMATE VEGETARIAN SOUP RECIPES FOR WINTER
ROOT VEGETABLE WINTER SOUP - FEARLESS FRESH
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - SUNKISSED KITCHEN
5/5 (1)Total Time 45 minsCategory SoupCalories 100 per serving
- In a soup pot, add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Over medium heat, saute until onions are translucent.
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - COUNTRY LIVING
Servings 8Calories 198 per servingEstimated Reading Time 1 min
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute. Add the remaining ingredients, seal the pressure-cooker lid, and bring the cooker to high pressure.
ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE | THE RUSTIC FOODIE®
4.7/5 (3)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main CourseCalories 149 per serving
- Wash and peel 4 carrots and 2 parsnips (be sure to remove wax from parsnips). Cut the carrots and parsnips into slices.
- Peel the skin of a rutabaga with a knife (making sure to remove any wax) and discard. Dice the flesh of the rutabaga into chunks (the same size as the chunks of potato).
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - MOUNTAIN MAMA COOKS
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SPICY & CHUNKY ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP WITHOUT TOMATOES RECIPE
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP - SUGARLAWS
WARMING ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - SNEAKY VEG
GINGERED WINTER SQUASH-AND-ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
WINTER WHITE ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP – RUMBLY IN MY TUMBLY
ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - DON'T SWEAT THE RECIPE
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - THROUGHTHEFIBROFOG
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPES - FOUR SEASONS OF AUTUMN
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP — SARAH ANN MACKLIN
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP | THE SMART SLOW COOKER
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - FOOD PRACTICE
CREAM OF WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP | RECIPE | ROOT VEGETABLE …
NORDIC WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE - TRINA HAHNEMANN | FOOD …
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - NO BULLSHIT KITCHEN
ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP | GOURMANDE IN THE KITCHEN
CREAM OF WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE - MY ISLAND BISTRO …
WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - THE HEALTHY EPICUREAN
TOP 10 WINTER SOUP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP WITH HOMEMADE CROUTONS AND YOGURT
RECIPES WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP | SOSCUISINE
A ROOT VEGGIE SOUP TO GET YOU THROUGH THE REST OF WINTER
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE BROTH - WELL AND FULL
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE - GLORIOUS SOUP RECIPES
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE | COOKTHISMEAL.COM
ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - THE LEMON BOWL®
ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP - IRISH EXAMINER
ROOT VEGETABLE RECIPES: FROM SOUPS AND SALADS, TO BAKES AND CAKES
WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE PUREE (RECIPE) - FOOD NEWS
HOW TO MAKE WINTER ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP | DAILY LIFE
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love