This simple chicken recipe is just so easy, it's the must-have almost-not-a-recipe, recipe. Seriously-just arrange the chicken thighs in a pan, add rub garlic and lemon and sprinkle some za'atar spice and bake.
Provided by Sarah
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Prepare the chicken. Clean the chicken to remove excess fat and slimy bits. Cut four slits in to the chicken legs. Place the chicken in a baking dish or on a sheet pan.
- Flavour the chicken. Using half a lemon squeeze a little juice on each leg of chicken. Once the lemon juice has been add to each chicken leg, then gently rub the lemon peel against the chicken legs (be careful not to rip the skin) Remove 1/4 tsp from your garlic paste and set aside for the za'atar sauce. Equally, distribute the garlic to each chicken leg, then rub the garlic all over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the za'atar. Your going to sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of za'atar on to each chicken leg (if using sumac, add 1/2 tsp for the leg) Lightly pat the za'atar to ensure equal distribution of the spice but don't rub it or you'll end up without any spice in patches.
- Drizzle the oil. Quickly drizzle your olive oil over each chicken leg, your looking for a light drizzle not a bath of oil.
- Marinate. Cover your chicken, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes up to 6 hours. But no longer than 6 hours or you'll end up with tough chicken.
- Preheat oven. Heat to 400ºF. Once you've turned on the oven, take out the chicken from the fridge, this gives a chance for the chicken to lose some chill from the refrigeration before cooking.
- Bake. Bake the chicken for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165º. Once the chicken is cooked allow to rest 5 minutes before serving, this will allow the chicken to redistribute its juices and allow the za'atar sauce to infuse with the chicken.
- Make za'atar sauce. Mix together the za'atar sauce, well, the chicken is cooking. In a small bowl add the lemon juice, reserved garlic, za'atar and olive oil. The sauce should be a paste-like consistency and may thicken slightly once resting. If the sauce is too thin add more za'atar, if it's too thick add more olive oil. Taste for saltiness, you may not need any and if you do just add a pinch.
- Serve! enjoy this recipe with your family and friends
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN THIGHS
Chicken thighs that are ridiculously simple yet packed with flavor thanks to a generous amount of za'atar. I like to serve this chicken with a fresh green salad of romaine, red onion, and tomato with a tahini-lemon dressing.
Provided by Diana Moutsopoulos
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a bowl and coat with olive oil. Season liberally with sea salt and black pepper on all sides.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, skin-side down, to the hot skillet. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon za'atar immediately over each chicken thigh. Cook chicken, without turning, until skin is crispy and browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken so skin side faces up and remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle remaining za'atar quickly and evenly over each chicken thigh. Spoon some of the rendered chicken fat from the pan over the top of the za'atar.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and roast until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink near the bone, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 193.9 calories, Carbohydrate 2.1 g, Cholesterol 70.3 mg, Fat 11.7 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 19.5 g, SaturatedFat 2.8 g, Sodium 146.9 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
ZA'ATAR ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST RECIPE
Best roasted chicken breast recipe you will find! Marinated in lemon and olive oil, and covered in Middle Eastern flavors including allspice, sumac, Za'atar. Roasted to fall-off-the-bone perfect.
Provided by The Mediterranean Dish
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients.
- Place the chicken in a deep pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with the marinade, making sure to work some of the marinade underneath the skin (this is important for flavor). Cover and place the chicken in the fridge for four hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Transfer the chicken and marinade to a baking dish or a cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with a little more sumac and paprika. Now, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the za'atar, and take another tablespoon to work underneath the skin of chicken breasts. (You should have 1 tablespoon of za'atar left for later use).
- Place the chicken in the heated oven and roast for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes (once the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, it is ready).
- Sprinkle with a little more sumac and the remaining za'atar. Garnish with the toasted nuts and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 484 calories, Sugar 2 g, Sodium 123.8 mg, Fat 31.8 g, SaturatedFat 6.9 g, TransFat 0.2 g, Carbohydrate 10.3 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 40.5 g, Cholesterol 116.1 mg
OVEN-ROASTED ZA'ATAR CHICKEN BREASTS
This za'atar-marinated chicken gets an extra dose of za'atar seasoning right before being roasted in the oven for a tender and juicy meal. Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend found in most spice shops or you can make your own using one of the many recipes found online. Serve the za'atar chicken with couscous, roasted potatoes, or atop a salad.
Provided by France C
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Pound chicken breasts to a 1-inch thickness for even cooking. Place in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Combine 2 tablespoons za'atar seasoning, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the chicken and toss to coat evenly. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining za'atar seasoning.
- Roast in the preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 23 to 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Season with salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 201.9 calories, Carbohydrate 3 g, Cholesterol 67.2 mg, Fat 9.8 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 24.9 g, SaturatedFat 1.8 g, Sodium 100.3 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
NIGELLA'S ZA'ATAR CHICKEN
This recipe delivers amazing results with virtually no effort. It's from Nigella Lawson's cookbook "Forever Summer". Za'atar is an addictive Middle Eastern spice blend that you can buy or prepare yourself. Chicken requires at least 2 hours of marinating time. Serve with pita crisps and salad.
Provided by blucoat
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- In large mixing bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine chicken, oil and za'atar. Rub spices and oil all over chicken pieces. Cover (or close) and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
- Transfer chicken to baking sheet, skin side up. Roast in preheated 425°F oven 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt.
ROAST CHICKEN WITH LEMON AND ZA'ATAR
This plump and juicy roast chicken benefits from tenderizing in a yogurt-lemon-garlic marinade for as long as 24 hours, but if you don't have a lot of time, slathering it with the mixture before sliding it into the oven will still add flavor, and give the spices something to stick to. Za'atar, a Middle Eastern herb-and-spice blend, can still be hard to find in the supermarket, so make your own by combining sumac, sesame seeds, thyme, coriander, oregano and cumin. You can buy sumac, a garnet-colored lemony spice, in Middle Eastern markets or online, but the rest of the ingredients are most likely already on your spice rack, and leaving out one or two of them is perfectly O.K. If you have a premade za'atar blend on hand, you'll need about 1/2 cup to coat the chicken.
Provided by Susan Spungen
Categories dinner, poultry, roasts, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a shallow bowl, stir together yogurt, zest and juice of 1 lemon, garlic and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season the chicken inside and out with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the bowl and coat with the yogurt mixture inside and out. Cover and refrigerate until cooking, up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Make the za'atar: In a small bowl, mix sesame seeds, sumac (if using), thyme, coriander, oregano, cumin and 1 tablespoon salt. Remove chicken from marinade and gently scrape off excess yogurt while leaving a nice coating. Transfer chicken to a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Coat chicken all over with the za'atar blend. Scrape up any spices that fall off and pack them on. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil and pat gently.
- Put 1 lemon half in the cavity of the bird. Tie legs together using butcher's twine, if desired, and place chicken in a small roasting pan. Arrange remaining 3 lemon halves and shallots cut-sides down in the pan surrounding the chicken. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees, gently baste the chicken and add another 1/4 cup water. Roast for an additional 60 to 75 minutes, rotating the pan periodically. Turn the lemon and shallots occasionally, basting once or twice and add 1/4 cup water whenever the pan juices dry out. Cook until until the legs wiggle easily and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Pour the pan juices (add a few tablespoons of water first, if they are very reduced) into a small gravy boat, degreasing or skimming some fat, if desired. Serve the chicken with the juices and the roasted shallots.
It's hard to find a dinner that both my husband and kids will enjoy-and even harder to find one that's fast and easy. This is it! No matter how much I make of this dish, it's gone to the last bite. -Esther Erani, Brooklyn, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Add chicken; toss to coat., Arrange olives, apricots and plums on the bottom of a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup water; top with chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 5-6 hours. If desired, serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 484 calories, Fat 32g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 107mg cholesterol, Sodium 1367mg sodium, Carbohydrate 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 30g protein.
GRILLED ZA'ATAR CHICKEN WITH GARLIC YOGURT AND CILANTRO
This garlicky, herby chicken is full-flavored and very tender, thanks to its piquant yogurt marinade. It's flexible, too - marinate the meat for as little as a couple of hours, or as long as overnight. And the chicken is just as good cooked under the broiler as it is on the grill (see Tip). You can serve this dish with almost anything, but it's especially nice with pita or other flatbread and a big cucumber and tomato salad. And if you're looking to substitute chicken breasts for the thighs, you can. Just watch them carefully; they're likely to cook faster than the dark meat.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories poultry, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large bowl or container, stir together 5 of the grated garlic cloves, half the lemon zest, 1/3 cup yogurt, the cilantro, oil, za'atar, oregano or marjoram, salt and black pepper. Add chicken and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, light the grill to medium or heat your broiler with the rack 3 inches from the heat source. Remove chicken from bowl, shaking off any excess marinade, and grill or broil on one side until charred in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Flip the chicken and grill or broil for another 5 to 8 minutes, until just cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, place remaining 2/3 cup yogurt in a small bowl. Stir in the reserve grated garlic clove and lemon zest, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut one zested lemon in half and set aside for serving (save the other zested lemon for another use).
- To serve, place chicken on a serving platter and drizzle with olive oil and a large squeeze of the zested lemon. Top with cilantro and oregano or marjoram sprigs and serve with yogurt sauce.
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN AND RICE PILAF RECIPE BY TASTY
This chicken and rice dish makes a great meal for special occasions or impressing guests. It's quite simple to prepare but is full of flavor, and the za'atar brings it all together. Brining the chicken keeps the meat moist while the skin gets nice and crispy, making for a great presentation and almost foolproof cooking. The rice pilaf is hearty and savory, and it cooks up quickly while the chicken roasts.
Provided by Rie McClenny
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 28
- Spatchcock the chicken: Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a cutting board. Using a pair of kitchen shears or a very sharp knife, find the backbone of the chicken and cut up both sides to remove. Remove any giblets remaining inside the chicken. Turn the chicken over and press down on the breastbone until the chicken lies flat.
- Make the brine: In a small, dry pan, toast the peppercorns, fennel seeds, and coriander seeds until fragrant and starting to change color, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the toasted spices to a large pot with 1 quart (1 liter) of water, the oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt, then let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pot from the heat. Transfer the brine to a large container. Cool the brine by adding the remaining water.
- Place the chicken in the brine, cover the container, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Place a wire rack or roasting rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Make the chicken seasoning: In a food processor, combine the lemon peel, garlic, and canola oil. Process into a thick paste.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Use your fingers to carefully separate the skin from the breasts and thighs. Rub the lemon garlic paste over the bird, making sure to get some under the skin. Rub the softened butter underneath and over the skin. Season on both sides with the salt and za'atar. Place the chicken on the rack set over the baking sheet, breast-side up.
- Roast the chicken for 40-50 minutes, until the breast meat reaches 145°F (63°C).
- Roast until the thigh meat, near the bones, reaches 160°F (71°C). Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the rice pilaf: Place the rice in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under running water until the water runs clear. Transfer the rice to a medium bowl and cover with water by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Soak for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to a small pot and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low so the stock stays warm.
- In a large pot or pan over medium heat, combine the butter, garlic, and fideo. Cook, stirring constantly, until most of the noodles are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice once the noodles are toasted, then add to the pan and sauté until the rice is dry and coated with the butter, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the hot chicken stock, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the noodles curl up, about 15 minutes. Fluff the pilaf with a fork, then cover again and let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Make the za'atar oil: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, za'atar, and salt.
- Carve the chicken, then arrange over the rice pilaf and spoon the za'atar oil over. Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
CRISPY ZA'ATAR CHICKEN PILAF WITH POMEGRANATE
Nestle crispy za'atar chicken pieces amongst pistachio pilaf rice for an irresistible supper. It's a riot of colour, texture and flavour
Provided by Esther Clark
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Toss together the chicken thighs oil, 1 tsp salt, garlic and lemon juice in a large bowl. Cover and chill for at least 1 hr, or up to 12 hrs.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4, and heat a frying pan over a high heat. Fry the chicken, skin-side down, for 5-7 mins, or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a baking tray and sprinkle with the za'atar, then roast for 10 mins.
- For the rice, heat the oil and butter in a large, shallow casserole or frying pan over a low-medium heat. Fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 15 mins until caramelised and sticky. Stir in the rice, stock, pistachios and chilli flakes. Season. Arrange the roasted chicken thighs on top of the rice, and pour over any roasting juices from the tray. Cook in the oven for 45 mins, or until the rice is tender. Remove from the oven, cover and rest for 5 mins.
- Scatter the chicken pilaf with the pomegranate seeds and parsley, then serve in shallow bowls.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 743 calories, Fat 39 grams fat, SaturatedFat 12 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 60 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 36 grams protein, Sodium 2.1 milligram of sodium
More about "zaatar chicken recipes"
BEST ZA'ATAR-ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
ZA’ATAR CHICKEN SHEET PAN DINNER - CANADA'S FOOD GUIDE
LEMON ZA'ATAR CHICKEN | RECIPE | A KITCHEN IN ISTANBUL
ONE SHEET PAN ROASTED ZA'ATAR CHICKEN AND POTATOES RECIPE ...
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN RECIPE | CHEFDEHOME.COM
ZA’ATAR CHICKEN WITH GARLICKY YOGURT RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
ZAATAR CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE - EATZAATAR.COM
23 RECIPES THAT USE ZA'ATAR | THE NOSHER
OTTOLENGHI'S ROAST CHICKEN WITH ZA'ATAR AND SUMAC
ZA'ATAR LEMON ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE | ZESTY Z
ZA'ATAR-ROASTED CHICKEN BREASTS RECIPE - KAY CHUN | FOOD ...
ZAATAR CHICKEN RECIPE BY ZAATAR AND ZAYTOUN - LEBANESE ...
40+ RECIPES WITH/USING ZAATAR - EATZAATAR.COM
4-INGREDIENT ZAATAR ROAST CHICKEN - JAMIE GELLER
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN RECIPE - HOME. MADE. INTEREST.
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN SHEET PAN DINNER | THE MODERN PROPER
CRISPY CHICKEN WITH ZA’ATAR-OLIVE RICE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN - CAROLINE'S COOKING
SHEET PAN ROAST CHICKEN WITH ZA'ATAR RECIPE | LEITE'S ...
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN RECIPE - OVER THE SPOON FOR
ZA’ATAR CHICKEN RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
GRILLED ZA'ATAR CHICKEN RECIPE
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN SHAWARMA + TURMERIC-TOASTED RICE PILAF ...
LEMON ZA'ATAR AIR FRYER CHICKEN - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
ZA’ATAR-SPICED CHICKEN RECIPE | HELLOFRESH
ZA’ATAR CHICKEN WITH CHICKPEAS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
CHICKEN WITH POMEGRANATE MOLASSES BY ZAATAR AND ZAYTOUN
GRILLED CHICKEN WITH ZA'ATAR RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
GRILLED ZAATAR CHICKEN RECIPE • UNICORNS IN THE KITCHEN
ZA'ATAR CHICKEN BAKE - EATING BIRD FOOD
ZAATAR AND LEMON GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
ZA'ATAR ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE - WELL SEASONED STUDIO
ZAATAR ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN ...
CRISPY ZA'ATAR CHICKEN CUTLET – ZESTY Z
ZAATAR CHICKEN - VEENA AZMANOV
BAKED ZA'ATAR CHICKEN - FUFU'S KITCHEN
BAKED HONEY ZA'ATAR CHICKEN | WEEKNIGHT MEAL - HUNGRY PAPRIKAS
ZAATAR MARINATED CHICKEN – DIMA AL SHARIF
You'll also love