POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES
Though I think of this Greek-inspired ragout as a summer topping, zucchini is available year-'round in the supermarket, so you can make this dish through next winter.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, main course
Yield Serves four to six
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Begin making the polenta. While it's in the oven, cook the squash. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet, and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until just about tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for a minute or two, until fragrant. Stir in the squash and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and toss together for five to eight minutes, until it is coated with oil and beginning to soften. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the sugar and salt to taste. Turn the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, for five to 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down slightly. Turn the heat back down to medium and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and aromatic. If they begin to dry and stick to the pan before the end of the cooking time (if you're using fresh tomatoes, this may happen because there isn't as much juice as with canned tomatoes), add up to 1/4 cup water. Stir in the parsley and mint, and simmer for a few more minutes. Remove from the heat, taste, adjust the salt and add pepper.
- When the polenta is ready, remove from the oven. If adding Parmesan, stir it in. Spoon onto plates, and make a depression in the center. Top with the zucchini. Garnish with additional Parmesan, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 77, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 8 grams, Fat 4 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 448 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams
CREAMY PARMESAN POLENTA
- Place the chicken stock in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and cook over medium-high heat until the stock comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and very slowly whisk in the cornmeal, whisking constantly to make sure there are no lumps. Switch to a wooden spoon, add the salt and pepper, and simmer, stirring almost constantly, for 10 minutes, until thick. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly while you're stirring. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan, creme fraiche, and butter. Taste for seasonings and serve hot with extra Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.
Polenta is a staple of Northern Italy. In this dish, it is combined with grated zucchini and cheese, then baked in the oven.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Mix the cornmeal and water together in a small bowl.
- Bring the broth and salt to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Lower heat to medium-low and slowly add cornmeal, stirring for about 2 minutes or until the polenta is smooth (use a long-handled spoon to stir the polenta; it bubbles up and will burn).
- Remove pan from heat; add in zucchini, cheddar cheese, and butter; stir until well mixed and cheese is melted.
- Spread mixture into an 8-inch square glass baking dish that has been coated lightly with cooking spray.
- Spoon tomato sauce over the top; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then cut into squares to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 298.6, Fat 13.8, SaturatedFat 7.8, Cholesterol 35.4, Sodium 1239.2, Carbohydrate 31.4, Fiber 4, Sugar 4.5, Protein 14.3
CREAMY PARMESAN POLENTA
- Add the water to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the 2 teaspoons of salt and gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the butter, and stir until melted. Stir in the Parmesan and incorporate well. This will slightly thicken the polenta. Add the cream and 1 teaspoon of black pepper and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Taste the polenta, and add a little more salt and a little ground black pepper, if necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
ITALIAN POLENTA CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic, red wine, and 1/8 teaspoon salt for marinara in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to puree. Set aside.
- Bring water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in polenta slowly, whisking constantly to ensure there are no lumps. Bring back to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Pecorino Romano cheese and butter.
- Pour half of the polenta into the prepared casserole dish. Top with half of the sliced zucchini, overlapping slices slightly. Top zucchini with half of the marinara sauce, then sprinkle with half of the Italian-style cheese. Repeat layers one more time. Cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until cheese on top is slightly brown, about 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 317.7 calories, Carbohydrate 21.3 g, Cholesterol 54.7 mg, Fat 18.8 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 16.7 g, SaturatedFat 11.4 g, Sodium 1035.9 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI, PEPPERS AND CHEESE
- Wash, trim and seed red peppers; dice fine.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet; add peppers, and saute over medium heat.
- Wash, trim and dice zucchini fine; add to peppers, and continue to saute until vegetables have softened.
- Bring chicken stock to boil in a covered pot.
- Grate cheese.
- Slowly stir polenta into boiling chicken stock, and cook until mixture thickens, just a couple of minutes.
- When polenta is cooked, stir into vegetables along with cheese; season with salt, if desired, and with pepper.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 690, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 83 grams, Fat 25 grams, Fiber 10 grams, Protein 34 grams, SaturatedFat 9 grams, Sodium 1423 milligrams, Sugar 22 grams
More about "zucchini polenta recipes"
ZUCCHINI, POLENTA AND PARMESAN MUFFINS - CERES FAIR …
BAKED ITALIAN POLENTA AND VEGETABLES - SLENDER KITCHEN
ZUCCHINI AND POLENTA FRITTERS - FURTHER FOOD
ZUCCHINI POLENTA TART RECIPE | CHOCOLATE & ZUCCHINI
RECIPE: CREAMY POLENTA & SPICY TOMATO SAUCE WITH …
RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS | FOOD NETWORK
BAKED POLENTA RECIPE WITH MUSHROOMS & TOMATOES
CRISP ZUCCHINI WITH CREAMY POLENTA RECIPE | EAT SMARTER …
CREAMY POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES – …
5/5 (5)Total Time 55 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 269 per serving
- For the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. For easy clean up, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the grape tomatoes, chopped zucchini, shallot, oregano, and olive oil in a bowl, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper. Toss to coat, then spread the vegetables mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, or until the tomatoes burst and the shallots are crisp, tossing and spreading the vegetable back into a single layer twice throughout. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the vegetables roast, prepare the polenta: Combine the broth, almondmilk, and garlic in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and very slowly whisk in the cornmeal, adding it in a very thin stream and whisking constantly to make sure there are no lumps. Switch to a wooden spoon and reduce the heat to medium. Add the salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring almost constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking, until the polenta thickened. The timing will vary based on the brand and type of polentayou use. Remove from the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and butter. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or nutritional yeast as desired.
- To serve, ladle the polenta into serving bowls. Top generously with roasted vegetables and sprinkle with fresh basil
ITALIAN CORNMEAL ZUCCHINI POLENTA - 20 MINUTES - VEGANENVY
Cuisine ItalianTotal Time 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 177 per serving
- Grate or food process zucchini. Peel first if serving to picky children, or picky adults. Add zucchini and water to a large saucepan, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- With water / zucchini and spices bubbling, add cornmeal in a thin stream, stirring with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
- Turn heat to low. Keep stirring over low heat for at least 5 minutes as the cornmeal cooks and loses it's raw taste. It thickens into polenta very quickly, which is why it is important to have the seasonings in the liquid before the cornmeal. Otherwise it is tricky to stir it all together.
SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, POLENTA AND ZUCCHINI - FARM FLAVOR RECIPE
EASY VEGAN POLENTA (SUPER CREAMY!) - MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
HERBY ZUCCHINI TOMATO BAKED POLENTA - OAT&SESAME
ZUCCHINI WITH POLENTA FILLING - BOSSKITCHEN.COM
POLENTA – ZUCCHINI – GRATIN
BAKED POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI & TOMATO-PEPPER SAUCE RECIPE
POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
CHEF ANN-SOPHIE RAEMISCH SHARES HER PEPPER / ZUCCHINI / POLENTA …
POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATO SAUCE - EVERYDAY GOURMET
30 POLENTA RECIPES THAT ARE SINFULLY EASY - INSANELY GOOD
FRIED ZUCCHINI WITH PARMESAN POLENTA | BIG APPLE CURRY
RECIPE: CREAMY POLENTA BOWL WITH OVEN-ROASTED TOMATOES AND …
POLENTA RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
GREEK-STYLE SPINACH, FETA & POLENTA PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
BAKED PARMESAN POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES
POLENTA WITH MEDITERRANEAN SPICED ZUCCHINI AND RED BEANS
ZUCCHINI POLENTA FRIES AND ZUCCHINI POLENTA SCRAMBLE [VEGAN]
RECIPE: ZUCCHINI POLENTA PIZZETTE - RECIPELINK.COM
SHEET PAN ITALIAN SAUSAGE, POLENTA & ZUCCHINI - PREGO® PASTA …
ZUCCHINI POLENTA RECIPE — MY SWEET RECIPES
POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES | PETA
RECIPE: CREAMY POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI | BLUE DIAMOND
GRILLED ZUCCHINI & TOMATOES WITH POLENTA RECIPE | EATINGWELL
POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CREAMY POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI - VEGGIE PRIMER
CREAMY POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI, ASPARAGUS AND NAVY BEANS.
SUMMER SQUASH SAUTE OVER POLENTA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
BAKED POLENTA CASSEROLE WITH ZUCCHINI & SPINACH
POLENTA WITH EGGS AND ZUCCHINI | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
BAKED PARMESAN POLENTA WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #side-dishes #vegetables #oven #grains #dietary #low-calorie #low-carb #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #squash #equipment
You'll also love