JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS
The peas in this aren't really peas at all, but red beans. It is customary in the Caribbean to refer to beans as "peas". This recipe uses coconut cream, but the flavor is mild and not overpowering--just enough to give a hint of island flavor. The scotch bonnet is not as fiery as you'd think as well, since it is added whole and not cut (to expose the seeds and membranes). If you want it hot, you can cut it open, but the dish has a mild flavor of chile overall. Great serving ideas for this recipe would include jerk chicken, calalou, conch chowder, beef patties, or curry. For dessert, I have served this with Caribbean Lime Mousse (recipe posted here).
Provided by PalatablePastime
Categories Long Grain Rice
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Rinse and sort beans and place in a stockpot.
- Cover with several inches of water and soak overnight,-or- bring to a boil, boil gently for 3 minutes, then remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit undisturbed for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Bring to a boil with chicken stock, water, and coconut cream.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours or until beans are tender and creamy.
- Add the thyme, allspice, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet, brown sugar, uncooked rice, salt and pepper.
- Check the level of liquid over the rice and make sure there is at least one inch of liquid (if not, you may add water or broth to cover).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve hot as a side dish, with Jamaican hot sauce as a condiment, if desired.
- For Vegetarian use water not the chicken broth or stock.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS
- Bring beans, garlic, coconut milk, and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook until beans are tender but not mushy, 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hours.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups water, the rice, scallions, thyme, and 1 tablespoon salt; season with pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir once, then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, without stirring, until all liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Fluff mixture with a fork, and season with salt and pepper.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS
- Place beans and garlic in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When the beans are tender, stir in the coconut milk, green onions, Scotch bonnet, and thyme, and increase the heat to a boil. Stir in the rice, add some salt and pepper, cover the pot, and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Transfer to a large serving bowl, taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed, and garnish with sliced green onions.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS
- Simmer kidney beans in 4 cups water in a 5-quart saucepan, covered, until beans are almost tender, about 1 1/4 hours (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pierce 2 softest eyes of coconut with a metal skewer or small screwdriver and drain liquid. Bake coconut on middle of oven 15 minutes. With a hammer or back of a heavy cleaver, break shell and remove flesh, levering it out carefully with screwdriver or point of a strong knife. Remove brown membrane with a sharp paring knife or vegetable peeler, then cut coconut into small pieces.
- Purée coconut with hot water in a blender and transfer to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids). Cool purée to lukewarm and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on solids. Working over same bowl, squeeze small handfulls of solids to extract as much additional milk as possible. Add water if necessary to total 2 cups liquid.
- Stir coconut milk into almost-tender beans along with salt, scallions, thyme, and chile, then simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and return to a boil, then cover. Reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Discard scallions, thyme, and chile.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS
- Rinse rice in a fine strainer.
- Heat oil in a large 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, green onions, and thyme; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, kidney beans, stock, coconut milk, Scotch bonnet pepper, salt, sugar, black pepper, red pepper flakes, allspice, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 391.1 calories, Carbohydrate 60.1 g, Cholesterol 1.5 mg, Fat 13 g, Fiber 9.3 g, Protein 10.7 g, SaturatedFat 9.6 g, Sodium 1385.8 mg, Sugar 1.1 g
More about "jamaican rice and peas recipes"
RICE AND PEAS - LEARN HOW TO COOK THIS AUTHENTIC …
Reviews 4Category Side DishCuisine CaribbeanTotal Time 50 mins
BEST EVER JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS - RECIPES FROM A PANTRY
5/5 (5)Category Side DishCuisine American, Caribbean, WesternCalories 303 per serving
DELICIOUS AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE
4.6/5 (51)Total Time 45 mins
- Soak the peas in a bowl with the water for 24 hours, if you don't have that kind of time soak for at least 2 hours.
- Once the peas are properly soaked (they will likely plump and absorb a lot of the water) place the peas and the water in a saucepan.
- Fill the pot with additional water if needed--the water should be about 2 inches over the peas. Bring to a boil.
AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS | FROM THE COMFORT OF MY BOWL
4.8/5 (35)Category Dinner, Side DishAuthor JhanelleCalories 382 per serving
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | MYJAMAICANRECIPES.COM
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Side DishCalories 476 per serving
- The first thing you must do if you're using dried kidney beans is to make sure you soak them overnight in a bowl of water. This softens the texture of the beans. I prefer dried beans, but you can use the canned kidney beans instead. Drain the water from the beans and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Place your beans in a medium saucepan, add about 3 cups of water and boil for about 1 hr under a medium flame. Your beans should now be tender (test by sticking a fork into one of them).
- While your beans are simmering, you can now add your unsweetened coconut milk, and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Then you add your chopped garlic, scallions (green onions), thyme, allspice seeds and scotch bonnet pepper.
SHANICE'S VEGAN JAMAICAN RICE & PEAS | CREAMY + COZY ...
4.9/5 (9)Category MainCuisine JamaicanTotal Time 55 mins
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add in the oil. When the oil is warm, add in the onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, until the peppers start to soften and the onion becomes translucent.
- add the beans to the pot and stir well to combine. Then, add in the adobo seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, thyme, and brown sugar. Stir well to make sure everything is evenly incorporated, then let the mixture cook down for 3 minutes. Let the bean and veggie mixture cook down for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk to the pot and stir well. Raise the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Split the stalk of green onion lengthwise and crush it with your hands to release some of the juices and oils, then drop it in the pot. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes, to infuse the coconut milk with spices.
- Add the boiling water to the pot and mix well; taste the broth and add any additional seasonings to taste. Bring the broth to a brisk boil, then add in the rinsed rice. Stir to evenly combine, then cover the pot with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer. Uncover the pot and stir the mixture every 5 minutes, to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Continue boiling until almost all of the liquid is absorbed into the rice; the cook time will vary based on the pot, but this should take anywhere from 20-30 minutes.
THE BEST AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE - FRUGAL ...
Reviews 37Category Side DishesCuisine JamaicanTotal Time 9 hrs 25 mins
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 45 minutes. You can test the beans by trying to crush one with the back of a spoon. If they crush easily then they are ready
- Bring back to a boil and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Time depends on the type of rice used.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | SIDECHEF
5/5 (2)Total Time 4 hrs 20 minsCuisine CaribbeanCalories 59 per serving
- Remove any debris from the Red Kidney Beans (1/2 cup). Rinse with cool water, drain, and place in a bowl. Add the Water (2 cup) and soak for a couple hours, ideally overnight.
- As it comes to a boil, drop in the Scotch Bonnet Pepper (1), scallion, onion, garlic, Salt (1/2 teaspoon), Finely Ground Black Pepper (1/4 teaspoon), Ground Allspice (1/4 teaspoon), and Fresh Thyme (3 sprig). Place the lid on your pot and reduce to a gentle simmer.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS - IMMACULATE BITES
5/5 (3)Total Time 9 hrs 20 minsCategory MainCalories 275 per serving
- Add soaked beans to a large pot together with onions & green onions, minced garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, allspice, and then followed by water.
- Cook covered on medium-high heat until beans are tender, about 50-60 minutes or more. Do a taste test before proceeding with the rest of the ingredients.
THE BEST JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE - GRANDBABY CAKES
4.6/5 (53)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Side DishCalories 329 per serving
- Put the beans and 4 cups of the stock in a medium dutch oven or saucepan and soak, covered, overnight.
- Bring the beans and stock to a full boil and boil for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the beans until tender, about 1 hr.
- Add the remaining 2 ½ cups sock and bring to a boil. Using a fork, stir in the rice, grated creamed coconut, thyme, habanero, salt and allspice and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove the thyme and habanero. Fluff the rice, separate the grains with a fork and serve.
RICE AND PEAS - JAMAICA CAFE - AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN RECIPES
5/5 (6)Total Time 36 minsCategory DinnerCalories 300 per serving
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE - JAMAICAN FOODS AND RECIPES
5/5 (4)Category Side DishCuisine JamaicanCalories 201 per serving
- Wash wash peas and put it in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water, pimento berries and ginger, half the salt and pressure for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the rice and coconut milk. The liquid should be about a inch above the rice, if not add more water, stir well.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
5/5 Category Grains, Rice
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with the water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Stir in the onion, scallions, garlic, allspice, thyme, Scotch bonnet, ginger, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat until beans are tender, about 1 hour; adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the rice, cover and simmer over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steam for 10 minutes, then discard the thyme stems, allspice berries and Scotch bonnet. Using a fork, fluff the rice and beans and season with salt. Serve hot.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | JAMAICAN LIFE & TRAVEL
5/5 Category Side DishCuisine JamaicanTotal Time 35 mins
CLASSIC JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (2)Calories 363 per servingServings 4
QUICK JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE – COOK LIKE A JAMAICAN
User Interaction Count 96
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
5/5 (1)Category Side DishCuisine JamaicanCalories 520 per serving
JAMAICAN STYLE RICE AND PEAS | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine CaribbeanTotal Time 35 minsServings 4
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS (COCONUT RICE AND RED BEANS ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS (BEANS AND RICE) - KEVIN IS COOKING
5/5 (5)Total Time 9 hrs 45 minsCategory Side DishesCalories 506 per serving
CARIBBEAN RICE & PEAS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE – JAMAICAN FOODS AND RECIPES ...
HOW TO MAKE JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS | CLASSIC BAKES BAKERY
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #low-protein #healthy #side-dishes #beans #rice #caribbean #central-american #low-fat #stove-top #dietary #spicy #low-cholesterol #low-calorie #healthy-2 #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #long-grain-rice #taste-mood #equipment #presentation #served-hot #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What are the ingredients in Jamaican rice and peas?Here is our simple Jamaican rice and peas recipe. INGREDIENTS : 1/4 cup gungo peas. 1 clove of garlic. 1 green pepper. escallion. black pepper. thyme, salt to taste.
What kind of beans do you use for Jamaican rice and peas?Traditionally, this Jamaican rice and peas recipe uses kidney beans, but as you know, I prefer black-eyed beans so you’ll see them used. Depending on your dietary needs, you can use vegetable stock versus a meat-based stock to keep this recipe vegan or vegetarian.
How to prepare Jamaican rice and peas without coconut milk?There are some people who don’t like the taste of coconut milk, you can prepare Jamaican rice and peas without coconut milk, you can substitute it for water or vegetable broth. If you don’t mind the flavor of coconut milk but you don’t have any, add a tablespoon of cold-pressed unrefined coconut oil. What To Serve With Rice And Peas?
What is the best way to cook peas and rice?Wash peas and soak in 2 cups of water. Pour peas and water in a pot with coconut milk, garlic and put to boil. Cook peas until tender adding more water if necessary. When peas are cooked add salt, whole pepper, black pepper, thyme, & escallion. Let season simmer. Wash rice if necessary, then add to pot.