RICE AND BARLEY PILAF
With a trio of whole grains, wild and brown rice and barley, this is packed with nutrition. Add half-and-half and Parmesan cheese, and you've got one satisfying side! -Barb Templin, Norwood, Minnesota
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed., Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice mixture, cheese, cream and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 176 calories, Fat 7g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 13mg cholesterol, Sodium 363mg sodium, Carbohydrate 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 7g protein. Diabetic exchanges
Barley can be found in two forms-hulled and pearled. Pearling removes almost a third of the grain, making it quicker cooking and reducing some nutrients. Hulled barley takes longer to cook but has a higher nutrient content and a pleasant, toothsome chewiness. This pilaf recipe is a simple way to enjoy hulled barley.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the barley and stir until the grains are just coated in butter. Add the broth and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover and quickly stir in the spaghetti; cover and continue to simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the barley and spaghetti are tender, stirring once more, about 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 250 calorie, Fat 5 grams, SaturatedFat 2.5 grams, Cholesterol 10 milligrams, Sodium 290 milligrams, Carbohydrate 43 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 10 grams, Sugar 2 grams
INDIAN CURRIED BARLEY PILAF
- Melt butter in a large skillet placed over medium-high heat. Add the onion and barley; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the allspice, turmeric, curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Pour in the chicken broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover skillet with lid, and reduce heat to low; simmer until the barley is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Fluff the pilaf with a fork, and gently stir in the slivered almonds and raisins.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 404.3 calories, Carbohydrate 72.5 g, Cholesterol 20.3 mg, Fat 11.1 g, Fiber 9.7 g, Protein 6.6 g, SaturatedFat 5.3 g, Sodium 257.3 mg, Sugar 5.7 g
ROASTED BARLEY PILAF
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. The barley should start to brown and give off an aroma.
- Add shallots, and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock and salt. Bring to a boil; then turn down heat to a bare simmer. Cover, and cook for 45 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir well, season with pepper and more salt, if needed, and serve immediately.
- In a large pot of boilingsalted water, cook pearl barley until tender but stillal dente, about 35 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieveand rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
- In a large skillet, melt unsalted butter over medium-high. Add shallot, minced, and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes; add barley and stir to combine. Transfer barley mixture to a largebowl and stir in toasted pine nuts, finely chopped fresh parsley, and freshlemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 298 g, Fat 12 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 7 g
BARLEY AND RICE PILAF
If you're tired of potatoes, try this quick-and-easy pilaf for a change of taste. "I put it together while trying to use up left-over rice," writes Marilyn Bazant of Albuquerque, New Mexico. "I've experimented with many variations, such as adding broccoli florets and asparagus."
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, red pepper, onions and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, barley, bacon, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 187 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 2mg cholesterol, Sodium 236mg sodium, Carbohydrate 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BARLEY AND WILD RICE PILAF WITH POMEGRANATE SEEDS
This pilaf melds the chewy texture of barley and wild rice with the richness of toasted pine nuts and the sweet-sour crunch of pomegranate seeds. The elegant dish is perfect for entertaining.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 servings, 3/4 cup each
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add wild rice and barley; stir for a few seconds. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the wild rice and barley are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Add pomegranate seeds, lemon zest, parsley and the toasted pine nuts to the pilaf; fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
- Combine all ingredients in 2 quart glass casserole.
- Microwave covered 5 minutes Then microwave 35- 45 mins at 50% power til liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Let stand 5 mins.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 52.8, Fat 0.4, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 5.4, Carbohydrate 10.9, Fiber 1.8, Sugar 0.4, Protein 1.8
BARLEY, WILD RICE, AND CRANBERRY PILAF
A great side dish - the flavors go well with Thanksgiving dinner. The recipe says serve at room temp, but we re-heated it and served it warm. Everyone really liked it.
Provided by SweetChef
Yield 6 large servings., 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In medium saucepan with lid, boil water, add barley, wild rice and salt. Return to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 40 min or until barley is tender.
- While barley and rice is cooking, pour orange juice over cranberries and set aside.
- Drain any excess liquid from cooked barley and rice mixture. Place rice and barley in large bowl.
- Drain cranberries, reserving liquid.
- Toss cranberries with barley and rice.
- Mix 5 tbsp orange juice with lemon juice and onion. Whisk in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over barley mixture.
- Add chopped parsley and walnuts. Mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 371.6, Fat 25.2, SaturatedFat 2.9, Sodium 202.8, Carbohydrate 33.4, Fiber 6.4, Sugar 5, Protein 6.9
WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF
- Bring three cups of the water to boil, add salt and wild rice. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In another pot, bring the remaining water to boil and add barley. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the cranberries.
- Mix together the rice, barley, cranberries, pine nuts, oil and lemon. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 252, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 38 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 605 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
INSTANT POT® WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add olive oil and let heat for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, dill, and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Hit Cancel.
- Stir chicken broth and wild rice into the pot. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 25 minutes. Allow 10 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 2 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Stir in barley and peas, put the lid back on, and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and let sit until barley is tender and mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 132.5 calories, Carbohydrate 22.3 g, Cholesterol 3 mg, Fat 3 g, Fiber 4.2 g, Protein 5.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 626.7 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
More about "barley rice pilaf recipes"
PILAF RECIPE MADE WITH BARLEY - HEALING TOMATO RECIPES
SIMPLE BARLEY PILAF | MEL'S KITCHEN CAFE
BARLEY & WILD RICE PILAF WITH SCRAMBLED EGG | CTV NEWS
BARLEY PILAF | WILLIAMS SONOMA
BARLEY AND WILD RICE PILAF - COOKSTR.COM
BARLEY AND BROWN RICE PILAF | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY …
BARLEY PILAF | RICARDO
5/5 (41)Category Main DishesServings 4Total Time 45 mins
WILD RICE & PEARLED BARLEY PILAF - WILLOW CREEK ORGANICS
PEARL BARLEY PILAF RECIPES
BARLEY & WILD RICE PILAF WITH POMEGRANATE SEEDS RECIPE | KITCHEN ...
VEGETARIAN BARLEY AND MUSHROOM PILAF RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RICE AND BARLEY PILAF RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - FOOD NEWS
BARLEY & WILD RICE PILAF WITH POMEGRANATE SEEDS RECIPE - EATINGWELL
BARLEY PILAF | RICARDO
BARLEY AND WILD RICE PILAF - DSM - DIABETES SELF-MANAGEMENT
BARLEY AND RICE PILAF RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE OF HOME
BARLEY-RICE PILAF - LACTO OVO VEGETARIAN RECIPES
ONE-DISH BARLEY, WILD RICE, AND CHICKEN PILAF RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EASY VEGETABLE BARLEY PILAF RECIPE - AN OREGON COTTAGE
BROWN RICE AND BARLEY PILAF - FLORA STRONG HEART
RECIPE BARLEY AND WILD RICE PILAF WITH POMEGRANATE SEEDS
RICE AND BARLEY PILAF RECIPE - RECIPETIPS.COM
PRESSURE COOKER WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF | RECIPE - KOSHER.COM
MUSHROOM-BARLEY WILD RICE PILAF - THE VEGAN ATLAS
BARLEY PILAF | CANADIAN LIVING
MOROCCAN CHICKEN AND BARLEY PILAF BEST RECIPES
BARLEY, WILD RICE BLEND AND CRANBERRY PILAF – OLIVE THAT!
WILD RICE AND BARLEY PILAF RECIPE
BARLEY PILAF RECIPE | JOHNS HOPKINS MEDICINE
RICE AND BARLEY PILAF - THERESCIPES.INFO
BARLEY-RICE PILAF RECIPE - FOOD NEWS - FOODNEWSNEWS.COM
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #side-dishes #rice #grains #dietary #low-cholesterol #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #brown-rice #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook rice and barley in a casserole?Add onion and garlic and saute until tender about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and barley. Add stock, wine and seasonings. Stir and bring to a boil. Transfer to 2 1/2-quart casserole lightly coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake until rice and barley are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
How do you I make a barley?Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add barley; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and bay leaf; bring to boil.
How long to cook wild rice and barley?Directions. In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter...
What goes well with barley pilaf?Try to say "pearled barley pilaf with parsley" three times fast. With its toothsome texture and subtle flavor, barley makes a great accompaniment to beef or chicken. Try it with Roasted Chicken with Baharat, Garlic, and Mint and a side of Green Beans with Pecans and Date Syrup.