BEEF STIFADO IN THE SLOW COOKER
Stifado is a Greek beef stew and my all-time favorite Greek dish. Chunks of tender beef are cooked with shallots in a rich aromatic tomato sauce. Serve with boiled rice and a good supply of crusty bread to mop up the rich sauce!
Provided by Anonymous
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat and cook beef, onion, and garlic until meat is browned on all sides and onions are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, rosemary, salt and a good pinch of black pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until ingredients blend, about 3 minutes. Add wine and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Turn slow cooker to Low setting. Pour beef mixture into slow cooker and stir in ketchup.
- Cook on Low until beef is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a skillet and cook shallots until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cooked shallots to stew for the last 1 to 2 hours of cooking.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and rosemary sprig before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 377.9 calories, Carbohydrate 20.6 g, Cholesterol 79.8 mg, Fat 15.7 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 30.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 261.2 mg, Sugar 6.7 g
A hearty Spanish meal blended with a chili. Great comfort food! Can be done in either slow cooker or stove. Make sure meat is cooked if using slow cooker. Can be served on rice, bread, or just the stew.
Provided by DTiv
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sherry, cook and stir briefly. Add bacon; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomato puree, chicken stock, and sweet peppers. Cook and stir sauce until flavors are combined, about 3 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, chili powder, and steak seasoning. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in honey, jalapeno juice, cilantro, cayenne pepper, basil, and paprika. Transfer mixture to the pan of sauce.
- Place chicken in a skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until no longer pink in the center, 5 to 8 minutes. Add chicken to the sauce. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 350.2 calories, Carbohydrate 47.7 g, Cholesterol 47.7 mg, Fat 10.7 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 16.5 g, SaturatedFat 3.6 g, Sodium 787.5 mg, Sugar 38.7 g
Enjoy this slow-cooked Peruvian beef stew from chef Robert Ortiz, packed with herbs and spices and topped with tomatoes, broad and cannellini beans
Provided by Robert Ortiz
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Season the beef and mix with the chilli paste. Heat 1 tbsp oil in an ovenproof pan and fry the beef over a medium-high heat until evenly browned on all sides. You'll need to do this in batches and the pan should be hot enough to ensure the beef does not boil. Remove the beef to a bowl and heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add another 1 tbsp oil and cook the onions and garlic for about 8-10 mins until caramelised. Pour in the beer and scrape up any browned bits using a wooden spoon. Return the beef to the pan and stir well. Add the bay leaves, chopped herbs, spices and dried mint, and slowly cook until the liquid has evaporated. Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 hr.
- Remove the stew from the oven and continue to cook, uncovered, on the hob over a low heat for 1 hr or until slightly reduced. Add the potatoes and cook for 15-20 mins. Check the beef and potatoes are tender, then remove from the heat and leave to rest, covered.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil and prepare a bowl of iced water. Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water for 20 seconds, then plunge into the cold water using a slotted spoon. Leave to cool, then peel away the skins.
- Stir the ají amarillo paste into the stew and top with the tomatoes, beans and chopped herbs.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 600 calories, Fat 31 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 34 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Fiber 9 grams fiber, Protein 42 grams protein, Sodium 2.3 milligram of sodium
More about "beef estofado recipes"
BEEF STIFADO RECIPE (GREEK BEEF STEW) - MY GREEK DISH
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- To prepare this delicious Greek beef stifado recipe, heat the oil in a saucepan, add the meat (in batches) and sauté, until browned on all sides. Do not add all the meat in the sauce pan, rather sauté in batches, so that the temperature of the oil remains high and the meat is sealed. When done, remove with a slotted spoon, place on a platter, cover and set aside.
- Peel and carve the baby shallot onions crosswise, add in the same oil used to browned the meat, turn down to medium heat and sauté until the onions have softened, but not browned (about 10 minutes).
- Pour the meat along with its juices to the saucepan, add the tomato paste and sauté. Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, allspice berries, nutmeg and a bit of water until the meat is covered. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer the beef stifado for 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened. While the beef stifado is simmering, check if it needs some water; you don’t want it to dry out. If it does, pour in half a cup of boiled water and stir. Towards the end of cooking time season well with salt and pepper to taste.
PORK ESTOFADO RECIPE - PANLASANG PINOY
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- When the oil is hot enough, fry the sliced plantains until the color of each side turns medium to dark brown. Set aside.
ESTOFADONG BABOY RECIPE - PANLASANG PINOY
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Combine pork, crushed peppercorn, garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar in a bowl. Mix well. Marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Once the oil becomes hot, pan fry the carrots for 45 seconds per side. Remove from the pot. Set aside.
BEEF ESTOFADO RECIPE | YUMMY.PH
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Season the beef with salt and ground pepper. Brown the beef cubes on all sides. (There is no need to add oil. As the beef browns, it will render enough fat to lightly fry the beef cubes.) Scoop out the beef cubes, and set aside.
- In a thick-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil. Saute the garlic, onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, oregano, bay leaves, and paprika with a little salt and pepper.
- When the vegetables have softened, pour in the stock. Swirl the pan and allow the mixture to boil over high heat for about five minutes or until the liquid is reduced to half. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Return the browned beef cubes to the pot. Pour in enough water to cover the meat. Stir. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pot. Slowly cook the beef for about two hours or until tender.
BEEF STIFADO RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
- Add the marinade ingredients, peeling and finely slicing the garlic first, then cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight.Peel the baby onions.
- If using fresh, peel and roughly chop the tomatoes.Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan and sauté the onions for 5 minutes or until softened.
FILIPINO BEEF ESTOFADO - ASIAN IN AMERICA
- To cook stove-top: Over medium high heat, in a large stockpot, place the beef chunks with all the ingredients, except the carrots and potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook the beef on high heat for 20 minutes.
- Then reduce the heat to low. Keep covered and cook longer for 1 ½ to 2 hours or till beef is fork tender.
- Add the potatoes and carrots at the last 30 minutes of cooking. When cooked, garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley. Serve with boiled jasmine white rice.
- To cook in a Slow Cooker: I have also cooked this Spanish Beef Stew in a slow cooker (Crock Pot), at a setting of High, for 5 to 6 hours. I added the potatoes and carrots at the last 45 minutes of cooking.
ESTOFADO DE CARNE CON VINO TINTO: BEEF STEW RECIPE
Calories 766Saturated Fat 10g 48%Cholesterol 141mg 47%Total Fat 32g 41%
ESTOFADO RECIPE | HOW TO COOK SPANISH BEEF STEW | …
BEEF STEW IN TOMATO SAUCE (ESTOFADO ... - MY …
4.8/5 (4)Category Main Dish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, beef stock, bay leaf, salt, cumin powder and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and let it cook for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
HOW TO COOK THE BEST LENGUA ESTOFADO - EAT LIKE PINOY
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs
- Dredge the slice lengua in flour (shake away the excess flour) and then pan-fry in medium heat for 1 minute per side. Set aside.
LENGUA (BEEF TONGUE) ESTOFADO - CASA VENERACION
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SPANISH BEEF STEW - SPANISH SABORES
- Cut the meat into large cubes if not already done by the butcher and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pot and brown the beef on all sides in batches (don't overcrowd the pot). Once browned, reserve on a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil if necessary, and add the diced onions, peppers, and garlic. Sauté on medium heat for about 10 minutes until tender and browned (but not burnt).
- Now add the carrots, a tablespoon of whole peppercorns (optional), and the wine of your choice. Stir and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes, until the wine reduces by two-thirds.
BEEF STIFADO - RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS - BBC GOOD FOOD
- put meat in a frying pan and sear the meat then add the olive oil, onions and garlic leave until onions start to go soft (about 5 minutes)
- then add your cinnamon, stock cube, cloves, nutmeg, bay leaves, rosemary, tomato puree and salt and pepper to taste. keep stirring to let all your ingredients mix together.
- then transfer to a clay pot or casserole dish and add about 1/4 - 1/2 litre of water, be careful not to drown the sauce, then cook for at least one hour in the oven on a moderate heat, keeping checking you dont want it to dry out and add water if needed you are aiming for a thick rich sauce texture,
- whilst cooking place your 500 grams of shallots into hot water to soften the skin and peel, then fry these in a little olive oil, be careful not to burn them, just aim to soften them and add a little colour, add these to Stifado after one hour of cooking in the oven and then add them to the pot and cook for a further 1 hour until the meat is tender.
CATALAN BEEF STEW WITH RIOJA, CINNAMON, AND CHOCOLATE
Calories 927Saturated Fat 14g 68%Cholesterol 203mg 68%Total Fat 44g 56%
BEEF STIFADO - GREEK BEEF STEW RECIPE | TRADITIONAL BEEF ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
COSTA RICAN ESTOFADO (BEEF TAIL IN RED SAUCE) - PURA …
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
BEEF ESTOFADO | BEEF ESTOFADO RECIPE, ESTOFADO RECIPE ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
SPANISH RECIPE - BEEF STEW - SPAIN BUDDY
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
MAMA'S ESTOFADO RECIPE (BEEF STEW) - YOUTUBE
LENGUA ESTOFADO RECIPE - KUSINA MASTER RECIPES
FILIPINO LENGUA ESTOFADO | FILIPINO BEEF TONGUE RECIPE ...
FILIPINO RECIPES - ESTOFADO RECIPE (BEEF) - PINOY FOOD
BEEF ESTOFADO RECIPE PINOY STYLE | BESTO BLOG
LENGUA ESTOFADO RECIPE (OX TONGUE IN TOMATO SAUCE ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make estofado sauce?Beef Estofado. In a same pan, reduce oil to 1 tablespoon then saute garlic and beef. 2. Pour marinade, water and beef bouillon then simmer in a low heat for 40 minutes or until beef is tender. Add more water if necessary. 3. Add vinegar and simmer for another 5 minutes. Do not stir. 4. Add dissolved cornstarch, green peas,...
What is the Filipino beef estofado?The Filipino Beef Estofado is a Spanish-style Beef Stew that is an easy all-in-one meal to cook . The richness of this hearty stew cooked in wine, broth and seasonings, makes any event special. This recipe was adapted from “The Alba Cookbook of Senor Anastacio de Alba and Miguel de Alba”, edited by Nancy Reyes-Lumen.
What is the recipe for beef stifado?Beef Stifado Recipe. Ingredients: 500 gms stewing beef (chopped into 2inch square pieces give or take) 500 gms baby onions or shallots – peeled left whole. Handful halved new potatoes (optional) 1/3 tin of chopped tomatoes. 1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree. 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
What is estestofado or beef stew?Estofado or Beef Stew is a great hearty meal to have on a cold winter’s day or evening as it will warm you through. It is important to keep the carrots reasonably large otherwise they will melt into the stew. Try to use potatoes that will stay in their chunks and not become powdery.