I got this recipe from a Bed and Breakfast site awhile back, while searching for a place for guests to stay. It is wonderful! I submitted it to another recipe site some time ago and received an award for posting such a yummy cake. Makes 1 tube pan or 2 layer cake
Provided by keen5
Yield 1 cake
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Mix dry ingredients, add remaining ingredients.
- Mix together, but Do Not beat.
- Bake in 350 degree oven- 1 hour& 20 minutes- (Tube pan is prettiest; however, 9" x 13" can be used) For Hummingbird Frosting: Mix Cream Cheese and Powdered Sugar, fold in Cool Whip (Frosts 1 tube, 1 pan or 2 layer cakes).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 8454.1, Fat 452.9, SaturatedFat 139.8, Cholesterol 884, Sodium 4537.8, Carbohydrate 1046.7, Fiber 31.4, Sugar 705.5, Protein 91.9
MRS BEETON'S VICTORIAN SEED CAKE - A VERY GOOD SEED CAKE
Yes, this IS a very good seed cake, but that's not my title, but how this recipe is listed in Mrs Beeton's cookbook of Household Management! I love seed cake, the aniseed flavours of the caraway seeds marry so well with the light sponge and subtle spices. You can also add optional chopped candied peel as my grandmother used to - it makes the cake moister. For your interest, I have posted the recipe as it orginally appeared, at the end of the modern adaptation. Seed cake was very popular during the Victorian era, it was often taken as a "Digestive" after a heavy meal or before retiring to bed, as caraway seeds are known for their soothing and digestive qualities. You can omit the brandy if you wish, and add milk in its place.
Provided by French Tart
Yield 1 Large Seed Cake, 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3 and grease and line a 7" (18cm) to 8" (20cm) round cake tin.
- Cream the butter with the sugar and then sift in the flour.
- Add the mace, nutmeg and caraway seeds and mix together well. (Add the chopped candied peel if using at this stage as well).
- Stir in the whisked eggs and the brandy.
- Beat the cake again for 2 to 3 minutes, until very smooth and with no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a tin lined with buttered paper.
- Bake it for 1½ to 2 hours, until a skewer comes out clean when tested, and the cake is well risen, firm and golden brown.
- ORIGINAL RECIPE:.
- A VERY GOOD SEED-CAKE.
- 1776. INGREDIENTS - 1 lb. of butter, 6 eggs, 3/4 lb. of sifted sugar, pounded mace and grated nutmeg to taste, 1 lb. of flour, 3/4 oz. of caraway seeds, 1 wineglassful of brandy.
- Mode - Beat the butter to a cream; dredge in the flour; add the sugar, mace, nutmeg, and caraway seeds, and mix these ingredients well together. Whisk the eggs, stir to them the brandy, and beat the cake again for 10 minutes. Put it into a tin lined with buttered paper, and bake it from 1-1/2 to 2 hours. This cake would be equally nice made with currants, and omitting the caraway seeds.
- Time - 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Average cost, 2s. 6d.
- Seasonable at any time.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 723.3, Fat 33.1, SaturatedFat 20, Cholesterol 173.1, Sodium 303.4, Carbohydrate 58.5, Fiber 1.4, Sugar 29.3, Protein 7.5
More about "birdseed cake recipes"
MAKE YOUR OWN HOMEMADE BIRDSEED CAKES
Reviews 16Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
RECIPES - HOME & FAMILY: BIRDSEED CAKES - HALLMARK …
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
HOW TO MAKE BIRDSEED CAKES - GARDEN GATE
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BIRDSEED CAKES
BIRD SEED CAKE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
HOW TO MAKE BIRD SEED CAKES - NATIONAL GARDEN SCHEME
HOW TO MAKE BIRDSEED ORNAMENTS | EASY BIRDSEED ORNAMENTS RECIPE
BEST WAYS TO MAKE BIRD SEED CAKES WITHOUT GELATIN
BIRDSEED ORNAMENTS WITHOUT GELATIN - FIREFLIES AND MUD PIES
HOMEMADE BIRD FOOD RECIPE | MAKE BIRD SEED CAKES - THE RSPB
BIRDSEED CAKES : 4 STEPS - INSTRUCTABLES
DIY BIRDSEED CAKES... - 2 BEES IN A POD
BIRDSEED CAKES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
EASY TO MAKE 3 INGREDIENT DIY SUET CAKES- A CULTIVATED NEST
FEEDING THE BIRDS/ CORNBREAD BIRDSEED CAKE
BIRD SEED CAKES – P. ALLEN SMITH
DIY PEANUT BUTTER BIRD SEED SUET CAKE - A FAMILY LIFESTYLE & FOOD …
DIY BIRDSEED SUET CAKES - HOUSE OF HAWTHORNES
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SUET FOR BIRDS - THE SPRUCE
HOW TO MAKE BIRDSEED CAKES - EVERYDAY EDITS
DIY SUET CAKE RECIPES FOR BIRDS - GOODNET
RECIPE FOR BIRDSEED CAKES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
NO MELT SUET CAKES FOR BIRDS - HOUSE OF HAWTHORNES
DARLING LITTLE BIRDSEED CAKES. - THE MAGIC ONIONS
HOW TO MAKE A BIRDSEED CAKE - YOUTUBE
EASY TO MAKE BIRDSEED CAKE CRAFT - JUST SHORT OF CRAZY
DIY BIRDSEED CAKES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
5 HOMEMADE SUET RECIPES FOR FEEDING BIRDS - BIRDS AND BLOOMS
BIRD SEED CAKES: EASY DIY WILD BIRD FEEDER CAKES FOR WINTER
SUET CAKE RECIPES FOR WILD BIRDS | YOU DO IT SUET
HOW TO MAKE BIRDSEED SUET CUPCAKES - BIRDS AND BLOOMS
BIRDSEED CAKE RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
HOW TO MAKE BIRD SEED CAKE FOR YOUR BACKYARD BIRDS
GELATIN BIRD SEED CAKES RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
HOW TO MAKE BIRD SEED CAKES - THE NUTTY BIRDWATCHER
RECIPE FOR BIRD SEED MOLDS - THERESCIPES.INFO
SEED CAKE RECIPE FOR THE BIRDS
60 BIRD SEED CAKE RECIPE IDEAS - PINTEREST
HOW TO MAKE A HOMEMADE BIRD SEED CAKE - OAT&SESAME
HOMEMADE BIRDSEED RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
HOW TO MAKE SUET CAKES FOR THE BIRDS | MARTHA STEWART
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #desserts #fruit #american #oven #easy #potluck #dinner-party #holiday-event #picnic #cakes #easter #christmas #comfort-food #tropical-fruit #bananas #pineapple #brunch #novelty #taste-mood #sweet #to-go #equipment #number-of-servings #3-steps-or-less #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a bird seed cake?Birdseed Cakes. 1 1/2 cup warm water. 2 3 tablespoons light corn syrup. 3 1 and 1/2 package unflavored gelatin (4 tsp.) 4 4 cups bird seed. 5 Nonstick cooking spray. 6 Drinking straws. 7 Thin string or twine Directions.
Do birds eat birdseed cakes?Birds especially benefit from birdseed cakes during the winter months, when food sources are more limited. Making your own birdseed cakes is a cinch and can be done in your own kitchen with some simple ingredients and tools. You can even customize the mixture to attract specific species of birds.
How do you make bird seed cookies with gelatin?Add 1/3 cup of boiling water to the gelatin, stirring for a few minutes or until the gelatin is dissolved. This is the binder that keeps seeds together. Next add 2 cups of bird seed to the gelatin and mix thoroughly. Grease the cups of a muffin pan and divide the mixture between them.
Can you make birdseed cake without gelatin?Most birdseed cake recipes use gelatin as one of the main ingredients. However, the problem with gelatin is its tendency to melt quickly during the summer season. Because of this situation, a birder must learn how to make bird seed cakes without gelatin during the summer.