BROWN SUGAR-PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Lovers of pecan sandies will adore these crisp, buttery treats that are a cinch to put together. The recipe is an adaptation of one developed by Dorie Greenspan for her book, "Baking: From My Home to Yours." Not fond of pecans? Try hazelnuts or almonds instead.
Provided by The New York Times
Categories cookies and bars, dessert
Yield Makes 42 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt and clove.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer to scrape down the sides. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Add the pecans and mix just until combined.
- Place the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with another sheet of plastic and shape into a square. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll the dough between the plastic to 1/4-inch thick, and into a 9 1/2 x 11-inch rectangle. Refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours, or up to 2 days.
- Position two oven racks so they divide the oven into thirds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Discard the plastic sheets from the dough. Trim the edges to form a 9 x 10.5/2-inch rectangle, then cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place the squares on the baking sheets, then, with a fork, pierce each cookie twice all the way through. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 9 minutes. If desired, dust the cookies with confectioners' sugar while still hot. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 81, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 8 grams, Fat 5 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 1 gram, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 16 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
BROWN-SUGAR AND PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix to combine. Add pecans. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture; mix until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto work surface and form into two flat squares; wrap with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with racks set in the upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place a nonstick baking mat on work surface. Place one square chilled dough on baking mat; top with a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll out dough between baking mat and plastic wrap until it is 3/8-inch-thick. Transfer to freezer to chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Using a 2 1/4-inch square cutter, cut out dough and transfer to prepared baking sheets. Carefully prick each cookie with a skewer, gently pushing through the dough until it reaches the baking sheet.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake, about 10 minutes. Halfway through baking, repeat pricking process and rotate baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back. Cookies should be very pale and not take on too much color. Transfer cookies to rack to cool.
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREADS
Your kids will enjoy stamping designs onto these shaped cookies. The recipe may be made ahead and frozen.
Provided by BHG Test Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Coat the bottom of a cookie stamp with nonstick cooking spray and dip the stamp in granulated sugar. Flatten each ball of dough, imprinting the pattern.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool. Makes about 36 cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter/sugar mixture. Add the pecans and mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut into 2 1/2-inch squares with a plain or fluted cutter (or cut into any shape you like). Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature and serve.
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD
These rich buttery cookies have just three ingredients! They're a snap to make for a last-minute gift or when guests will be arriving on short notice. For best results, gradually stir the flour into the dough. -Shirley Gardiner Clearwater, Manitoba
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 3-1/2 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 3
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in flour and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. Pat into a 1/3-in.-thick rectangle measuring 11 in. x 8 in. , Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork. , Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 145 calories, Fat 9g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 23mg cholesterol, Sodium 90mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 1g protein.
PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cream butter, oil, white sugar, and confectioners' sugar together in a large bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir gradually into the butter mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely on wire racks, 20 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 126.4 calories, Carbohydrate 12.1 g, Cholesterol 14.3 mg, Fat 8.3 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 1.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.6 g, Sodium 62.7 mg, Sugar 5.5 g
BUTTER PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Shortbread cookies are a must to make for the holidays, and these pecan-filled, buttery biscuits are simply irresistible. Be sure to use real butter, not margarine, for best flavor. PLEASE, watch them as they bake. Reviewers are reporting baking times from 12 to 20 mins and I have changed the baking time from the original 30 mins to 15 mins.
Provided by Annacia
Yield 2 1/2 dozen, 18 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or a food processor, beat together butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add flour, ground pecans, vanilla and salt and beat just until it forms a smooth dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to allow it to firm up just enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- By hand, roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place them on the prepared cookie sheet and flatten very slightly (to about 1/2-inch thickness) with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the glass (If you have a cookie stamp, you can use it to flatten the cookies instead of the glass).
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until set and very lightly browned on the bottom.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 207.4, Fat 14.7, SaturatedFat 6.9, Cholesterol 27.1, Sodium 12, Carbohydrate 17.5, Fiber 1, Sugar 6.3, Protein 2.1
GLAZED BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Shortbread cookies are classics and always welcome on my table. But when I want to punch up the flavor a bit, I reach for the brown sugar. It gives these tender cookies a subtle caramel flavor. -Shirley Gardiner, Clearwater, Manitoba
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 3 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Gradually stir in flour and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. Roll dough to 1/3-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets., Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely., For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, 5 tablespoons water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Thin with remaining water to desired consistency. Tint 1 cup of icing with food coloring; transfer to a pastry bag. Leave remaining icing white or tint a second color; transfer to a shallow dish. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture., Dip a cookie into icing in dish; remove excess. Drizzle with icing in pastry bag. Use a toothpick to swirl the 2 colors together. Repeat with remaining cookies and icing. Let stand at room temperature until frosting is dry and firm, several hours. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 136 calories, Fat 5g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 14mg cholesterol, Sodium 48mg sodium, Carbohydrate 21g carbohydrate (15g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 1g protein.
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- In large mixer bowl, beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla; then gradually beat in flour, blending thoroughly.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm (1 hour) or for up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- On lightly floured board, roll out dough to 1/4" thick. Cut, place on lightly greased sheets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch (press very lightly to test). Transfer to racks and let cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 212.4 calories, Carbohydrate 28.3 g, Cholesterol 27.1 mg, Fat 10.4 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 1.9 g, SaturatedFat 6.5 g, Sodium 77.3 mg, Sugar 14.9 g
CHOCOLATE-DIPPED BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange two racks evenly spaced in the oven.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed just until the butter and sugar are combined so you don't whip a lot of air into it. With the mixer on low, add the vanilla and scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Scoop out 1-ounce pieces of dough (about a tablespoon), roll each one into a ball, then roll it into a 2 1/2-inch-long log. Place the logs 2 inches apart on two sheet pans lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the cookies start to brown around the edges and spring back when lightly touched. Set aside to cool on the pans.
- For the coating, place the chocolate and the butter in a heatproof bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture vigorously and continue to microwave in 30-second increments until the chocolate is just melted.
- Drag half of the rounded top of each cookie through the chocolate and place it, chocolate side up, on a piece of parchment paper. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle on the pecans. Repeat with all the cookies. Set aside for at least 30 minutes for the chocolate to firm.
BROWN BUTTER PECAN SHORTBREAD
- Grind pecans in processor until coarse meal forms. Melt 1/2 cup butter in small skillet over medium heat. Cook until dark amber, stirring often, about 6 minutes (do not burn). Pour through fine strainer into small bowl. Chill just until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Whisk flour and salt to blend. Using electric mixer, beat brown butter, 1/2 cup butter, and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Beat in vanilla, then nuts. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed just to blend.
- Transfer dough to sheet of parchment paper. Form dough into rectangle. Place second sheet of parchment paper over dough. Press or roll dough into 12x8- inch rectangle. Remove top sheet of parchment. Transfer dough on parchment to baking sheet. Using fork, pierce dough all over, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake shortbread until golden brown and firm to touch, about 55 minutes. Leaving shortbread on baking sheet, cut lengthwise into 8 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into quarters. Cool 10 minutes on sheet on rack. Transfer cookies to rack to cool completely. DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
EASY PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Today is the day to step away from store-bought versions and step up with the know-how to make pecan shortbread cookies from your own kitchen! Full of buttery flavor and toasted pecans, these butter pecan shortbread cookies are a family-favorite recipe that's hard to resist. Pair these pecan sandies with an afternoon cup of coffee or add them to a holiday cookie tray next to an array of classic treats. This recipe makes about 84 cookies so freeze them for later or share them with friends. Now, the next time you're craving pecan shortbread cookies you can head to your own kitchen, instead of the store.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 5
- To toast pecans, sprinkle in ungreased heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until nuts begin to brown, then stirring constantly until nuts are light brown. Remove from heat; cool.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating just until blended. Stir in toasted pecans and vanilla.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into 2 (1 1/4-inch-thick) logs (about 12 inches long). Wrap in cooking parchment paper; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-inch slices. On cookie sheets, place slices 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 40, Carbohydrate 4 g, Fat 1/2, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g, SaturatedFat 1 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 20 mg
LINDA'S PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES
From Candy Cane Murder written by Joanne Fluke. Cream of tartar is critical in this recipe. Measure the pecans after chopping.
Provided by Kerena
Yield 9 dozen cookies, 108 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Put both granulated and brown sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Mix together to make a really light brown sugar.
- You have 2 choices with the butter. You can let it come to room temp on its own, or you can soften it in the microwave by placing it on a paper plate and nuking it for 5 seconds on high. Roll it over 1/4 turn and nuke another 5 seconds. Repeat until all sides have been nuked 5 seconds. Now it will be ready. Dump it in your mixing bowl. Repeat with second stick of butter.
- Once you've added the butter to you mixing bowl, mix until it is smooth.
- Pour in Vegetable oil and egg. Mit it all together on low speed.
- Add vanilla, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Mix well.
- Add oatmeal and Rice Krispies. Mix thoroughly.
- Add flour to your bowl in 1/2 cup increments, mixing well after each addition.
- Take the bowl from the mixer and give it another stir with a spoon, mixing in the pecans by hand.
- With your hands, roll dough balls approximately 1" in diameter and place them on a cookie sheet, 12 balls to a standard sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 83.4, Fat 5.3, SaturatedFat 1.5, Cholesterol 6.5, Sodium 49.3, Carbohydrate 8.4, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 4, Protein 0.9
More about "brown sugar pecan shortbread cookies recipes"
BROWN SUGAR-PECAN SHORTBREAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
3.2/5 (5)Calories 70 per serving
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Place butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed. (Mixture will appear crumbly.) Sprinkle ice water over flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Shape the dough into 2 (6-inch-long) logs; wrap each log in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour or until very firm.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap dough; cut each log into 16 slices using a serrated knife. Place dough circles 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle tops evenly with turbinado sugar, gently pressing into dough. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets; cool on a wire rack.
BROWN SUGAR PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - THE …
BROWN SUGAR PECAN SHORTBREAD - CINNAMON AND TOAST
BROWN SUGAR PECAN COOKIES RECIPE + VIDEO - THE …
BROWN SUGAR PECAN COOKIES - COOKING CLASSY
BROWN SUGAR SCOTTISH SHORTBREAD - JO COOKS
PECAN, COCONUT AND BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD COOKIES
BROWN BUTTER-PECAN SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
BROWN BUTTER PECAN COOKIES ARE THICK, CHEWY, AND …
PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - ONCE UPON A CHEF
BROWN BUTTER-PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - RECIPE
SHORTBREAD PECAN COOKIES - BROWN SUGAR FOOD BLOG
BROWN SUGAR PECAN COOKIES RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES (PERFECTLY BUTTERY AND CRISP)
BROWNED BUTTER-PECAN SHORTBREAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
BROWN SUGAR PECAN SHORTBREAD - UNWRITTEN RECIPES
BROWN SUGAR PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPES ALL YOU …
BROWN SUGAR-PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - CRAFTYBAKING
RECIPE: BROWN BUTTER PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - KITCHN
4-INGREDIENT PECAN SANDIES | CHEW OUT LOUD
BROWN SUGAR PECAN WHIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES - BAKE. EAT.
BROWN SUGAR PECAN COOKIES - ALL THINGS BREAD
BUTTERY BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD COOKIES - THE TASTEFUL BAKER
BROWNED BUTTER-PECAN SHORTBREAD - SERIOUS EATS
PECAN BROWN SUGAR COOKIES - CINDY'S RECIPES AND WRITINGS
BROWN BUTTER PECAN COOKIES - SIMPLE TO MAKE SHORTBREAD COOKIES
BROWN SUGAR-PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD COOKIES (ONLY 3 INGREDIENTS) - KITCHEN
RECIPE: BROWN SUGAR-PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - RECIPELINK.COM
PECAN SHORTBREAD RECIPE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
BOURBON SHORTBREAD COOKIES - THERESCIPES.INFO
BROWN SUGAR-PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES (AND MY 100TH!)
BROWN SUGAR AND PECAN SHORTBREAD | RECIPE | COOKIES, COOKIES …
PECAN SHORTBREAD COOKIES - THE RECIPE CRITIC
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What are pecan shortbread cookies?These pecan shortbread cookies combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and pecans to make one extraordinarily flavorful cookie. Made in 1 bowl without eggs or leavening, this shortbread is soft yet dense with crisp crumbly edges. We’ll use the simple slice and bake method, which helps guarantee thick cookies. No rolling pin required!
How do you make brown sugar shortbread?Chewy, crisp, tender, and EASY brown sugar shortbread! Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium bowl. In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, light brown sugar, and dark brown sugar together on medium-high speed until completely smooth and creamy.
How do you make pecan cookie dough?Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat. In a large bowl with an electric mixer or a food processor, beat together butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add flour, ground pecans, vanilla and salt and beat just until it forms a smooth dough.
How do you bake shortbread cookies?Assemble: Use either a 2-inch cookie cutter or a shortbread cooking cutter to cut your cookies into desired shape. Prick with fork or a toothpick so make little holes in the cookies and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not let them get brown. Remove from the oven.