"BURNT" BASQUE CHEESECAKE
I rarely post a trendy recipe while it's still trendy. But this 'burnt' cheesecake method deserved the hype; baking it in a very hot oven delivers a beautiful, dark exterior full of bittersweet notes that make the light, creamy cheesecake interior seem even more rich and flavorful. Plus, this method is just plain easier--just remember the parchment paper. So, if you've not had much luck with traditional cheesecake methods, you should stop trying and make this exclusively.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Butter a 9-inch cake pan. Cut a sheet of parchment paper large enough to line the inside of the pan by a few extra inches. Butter the paper and press it into the pan, flattening any major creases. Trim away any excess paper from the sides until you have an inch or two of overhang.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, and flour in a bowl. Stir and smear together with a spatula until very smooth and creamy. Add vanilla extract and 1 egg; whisk to combine. Whisk in remaining eggs, one at a time. Pour in heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan against the counter to burst any excess air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed, very well browned, and nearly burned on the edges, 50 to 55 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) in the last 10 minutes.
- Let cheesecake cool to room temperature, at least 25 minutes. Lift out onto a plate and peel back parchment paper, using a knife or spatula if needed. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, 4 hours to overnight.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 467.1 calories, Carbohydrate 24.6 g, Cholesterol 204 mg, Fat 37.9 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 8.9 g, SaturatedFat 23.1 g, Sodium 359.2 mg, Sugar 20.4 g
BURNT CHEESECAKE WITH BLACKBERRIES
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with some butter and line with parchment paper.
- For the cheesecake: In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, cream, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla and salt. Beat with an electric hand mixer until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until set and well browned, 50 to 55 minutes.
- For the macerated blackberries: While the cheesecake bakes, toss together the blackberries, sugar and lemon zest and juice. Cover and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and allow it cool, about 45 minutes.
- Release the cheesecake from the pan and slice. Grab the blackberries and give them a final toss. Slice and serve the cheesecake topped with the macerated blackberries.
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE
Try this Spanish-style baked cheesecake with a burnished exterior. With crème caramel-style bittersweet notes and a creamy yet light centre, it's heavenly
Provided by Cassie Best
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat the oven to 240C/220C fan/ gas 9 ensuring plenty of space above the middle shelf. Butter a deep 20cm, loose-bottom or springform cake tin. Lay two large sheets of baking parchment, one on top of the other, one sheet turned 45 degrees, so the corners point in different directions. Push the parchment into the tin, pressing into the corners and making sure plenty of paper is sticking out above the rim. Press the creases up the sides, but don't worry about lining the tin too neatly - the grooves in the parchment give this cheesecake its characteristic look.
- Tip the soft cheese and sugar into a large bowl or a stand mixer. Beat together using an electric whisk (or stand mixer) for a minute or 2, until the grains of sugar have dissolved - check this by rubbing a little of the mixture between your fingertips. If it feels grainy, keep mixing for another minute or so.
- Tip in the flour, soured cream, eggs, vanilla and ¼ tsp salt to the bowl and mix again until you have a smooth consistency. Pour into your lined cake tin, scraping out every last bit of cheesecake mixture. Give the tin a sharp bang on the worktop to remove any air bubbles, then bake for 30 mins.
- Once cooked, the cheesecake should be deeply caramelised on the outside and puffed up like a soufflé. It will still have a wobble when you shake the tin. Leave it to cool completely in the tin - it will sink as it cools. Chill for at least 1 hr before serving. Will keep in the fridge for up to two days.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 252 calories, Fat 17 grams fat, SaturatedFat 11 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 19 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 17 grams sugar, Sodium 0.4 milligram of sodium
More about "burnt basque cheesecake recipes"
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.7/5 (505)Author Molly BazServings 1Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 400°. Butter pan, then line with 2 overlapping 16x12" sheets of parchment, making sure parchment comes at least 2" above top of pan on all sides. Because the parchment needs to be pleated and creased in some areas to fit in pan, you won’t end up with a clean, smooth outer edge to the cake; that’s okay! Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-low speed, scraping down sides of bowl, until very smooth, no lumps remain, and sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and add eggs one at a time, beating each egg 15 seconds before adding the next. Scrape down sides of bowl, then reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Add cream, salt, and vanilla and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Turn off mixer and sift flour evenly over cream cheese mixture using a fine-mesh sieve. Beat on low speed until incorporated, about 15 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl (yet again) and continue to beat until batter is very smooth, homogenous, and silky, about 10 seconds.
BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE | EASY BURNT CHEESECAKE
4.4/5 (191)Calories 361 per servingCategory Dessert
- Preheat the oven to the 450 degrees F* (230 C). See the section above in the headnotes about how long to bake it.
- Line a 6-inch cake pan with 2.5-inch sides with parchment paper. If the pan has a removable bottom, you can use the bottom to press the paper into the pan. Then you can use your hands to crease the sides to hold its shape. Once the paper is molded to the pan, you can remove the bottom and the paper and then reattach the bottom to the pan, placing the paper on top.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. I usually let this mixture rest for about 20 minutes to give the air bubbles in the batter a chance to settle, but you can bake it right away if you're in a rush.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and then drop the pan a few times onto a kitchen towel to coax any remaining bubbles out of the batter.
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - SPANISH SABORES
5/5 (229)Category DessertCuisine SpanishTotal Time 1 hr
- Using an electric mixer, whisk, or a metal spoon (the classic La Viña way!) combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Line a 10 inch (25 cm) springform pan or round baking pan with enough wax or parchment paper that it extends past the edges of the pan. This will help you remove the cheesecake from the pan later on, and will prevent it from sticking. You can use a smaller pan for a higher cheesecake but may need to bake longer so that the center isn't too runny.
- Bake on the center rack for 35-50 minutes. The cake will rise quite a bit but don't worry -- it will settle when it’s out of the oven. I like my cheesecake just cooked through, so I generally bake 40 minutes and if it isn't quite burnt enough on top I turn the heat up for another minute or two, being careful it doesn't burn too much! If you like the center very runny, remove at 35 minutes.
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE: HISTORY AND RECIPE - FINE …
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE - RECIPES BY CARINA
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE RECIPE (SMALL BATCH)
BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE (CRUSTLESS BURNT CHEESECAKE)
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE (SUPER CREAMY) - EASY AND DELISH
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE - THE BEST CHEESECAKE RECIPES
SPANISH BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - SPANISH FOOD GUIDE
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
SUPER EASY BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
AMAZING CREAMY BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - SCIENTIFICALLY …
BURNT BASQUE CHEESE CAKE - RECIPE TO TASTE
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE - GEMMA’S BIGGER BOLDER BAKING
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE – ANNIKA EATS
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BURNT CHEESECAKE
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE バスクチーズケーキ • JUST ONE COOKBOOK
LEMON BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE - THAT SPICY CHICK
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE - DONNA HAY
HOW TO MAKE BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE - TASTE OF HOME
SIMPLE LEMON SUGAR BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE. - HALF BAKED HARVEST
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE - ENTERTAINING WITH BETH
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE - BUTTER N BANTER
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE - TASTY & QUICK RECIPE - THE GRUMPY …
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHEESECAKE RECIPE | FOODTALK
A BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE THAT’S MORE LIKE A CLOUDCAKE | BON …
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE | OLIVEMAGAZINE
BASQUE CHEESECAKE (BURNT CHEESECAKE) - SUGAR SPUN RUN
THIS BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE RECIPE IS TOTALLY FOOLPROOF
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE RECIPE - SUGAR AND SOUL
VANILLA BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE. - HALF BAKED HARVEST
SAN SEBASTIAN CHEESECAKE - KEEP CALM AND EAT ICE CREAM
Легендарный САН-СЕБАСТЬЯН!САМЫЙ НЕЖНЫЙ ЧИЗКЕЙК!
%BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE SQUE CHEESECAKE %CHEESECAKE
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE - SOMETHING SWEET SOMETHING SAVOURY
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE : BLUEBERRY EDITION - SIFT
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - READER'S DIGEST
BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE: EASY, BUT DECADENT – EUSKAL KAZETA
EASY BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE RECIPE - LOVEFOOD.COM
BURNT BROWN SUGAR CAKE - THERESCIPES.INFO
BASQUE BURNT CHEESECAKE WITH LIQUORICE SAUCE | NIGELLA'S RECIPES ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What ingredients are needed to make a Basque burnt cheesecake?Over the past ten years, the burnt Basque cheesecake has become a worldwide phenomenon and the La Viña cheesecake recipe has been republished many times. It’s an easy (though decadent) recipe, well worth the time (and the calories)! Key Ingredients: Eggs, sugar, cream cheese, heavy cream, and flour.
Can You bake Basque cheesecake in a cake pan?Basque cheesecakes are most often baked in springform pans, but unlike New York-style cheesecakes, you don’t need a water bath. Because of this, you can use a cake pan instead. Just be sure to use one that’s at least 3 inches deep because the cheesecake will rise (and fall) quite a bit as it bakes.
What is burnt cheesecake?"Burnt" Basque cheesecake is made by baking the cheesecake in a very hot oven to deliver a beautiful, dark exterior full of bittersweet notes that complements the creamy light interior. The original recipe was developed in the 1970s, at a cafe in San Sebastian called La Vina.
How long has Basque style cheesecake been a local specialty?Originating in San Sebastian, Spain, burnt Basque cheesecake was invented by chef Santiago Rivera in 1990. While burnt cheesecake may look like a happy accident, the resulting cheesecake ( cracks and all) was an intentional creation born out of countless hours of experimentation.