SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE
Number Of Ingredients 17
- 5 pounds (about 8) medium mirlitons (chayotes) 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 4 tablespoons olive oil 1 1/2 tablespoons Emeril's Bayou Blast Essence 2 cups chopped yellow onions 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced (about 1/4 cup) 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1/4 cup minced garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley 3 large eggs, lightly beaten 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon dried fine bread crumbs 1 teaspoon Emeril's Kick It Up! Red Pepper Sauce, or other hot sauce 3/4 pound freshly grated American cheese
SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the mirlitons and cook until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the heat, drain, and set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the shrimp with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon Bayou Blast in a mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the mirlitons are cool, cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, peel, and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon Bayou Blast and the thyme. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the mirlitons and cook, mashing them with a potato masher, until very tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Add the shrimp, salt, black pepper, green onions, and parsley. Cook, stirring, until the shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the eggs, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, and the pepper sauce. Mix well. Spoon the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.
Mirliton -- also known as chayote -- is a light green, slightly pear-shaped squash that's a staple in Louisiana. This crab and shrimp-stuffed version is a dish often found in restaurants. Go to a specialty supermarket to hunt down the squash and celebrate your next holiday New Orleans style.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Put the mirliton halves cut-side down in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add 1 cup of water, cover tightly with foil and bake until soft, cooked through and easily poked with a fork, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. (Leave the oven on.) Scoop out the pulp--making sure to leave a 1/4-inch border all around--then chop the pulp and reserve. Discard the water from the baking dish and return the scooped-out mirliton halves cut-side down.
- Meanwhile, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter with the Cajun seasoning in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, garlic, bell pepper, onion and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and just begin to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the sausage, hot sauce and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the sausage is warmed through and the tomatoes start to release their juices, about 3 minutes. Add the crab, shrimp and reserved mirliton pulp and continue cooking until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Microwave the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small microwave-safe dish until melted, about 30 seconds. Add the breadcrumbs and parsley and stir until well combined.
- Turn each mirliton half over so the cut side is facing up. Stuff each with about 1/2 cup of the crab and shrimp mixture--it will seem like a lot, but that's OK. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and bake until the shrimp are cooked through and the breadcrumbs turn a deep golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with additional hot sauce if desired.
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE
- Simmer mirlitons in water to cover by 2 inches in an 8-quart pot, partially covered, until very tender, about 1 hour. Drain mirlitons, then halve and peel, discarding pits. Coarsely chop in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook onions and bell peppers in 6 tablespoons butter in a 6- to 7-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add mirlitons and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. (Do not let vegetables brown.) Stir in cracker crumbs, shrimp, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake in upper third of oven until crumbs are just golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE
- Simmer mirlitons in water to cover by 2 inches in an 8-quart pot, partially covered, until very tender, about 1 hour. Drain mirlitons, then halve and peel, discarding pits. Coarsely chop in a food processor. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook onions and bell peppers in 6 tablespoons butter in a 6- to 7-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add mirlitons and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. (Do not let vegetables brown.) Stir in cracker crumbs, shrimp, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake in upper third of oven until crumbs are just golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 500
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add mirliton, and boil until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, cool, and peel. Cut in half, remove seeds, and cut into cubes.
- When the mirliton are almost done, bring another pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp, and cook for about 5 minutes, until pink. Drain shrimp, reserving the water for later. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add the shrimp, ham, and cubed mirliton. Beat the egg in a small dish with a tablespoon of the water from the shrimp; pour into the baking dish. Mix in the bread crumbs, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper until evenly blended. If it seems a little dry, add a little more water from the shrimp. You have the choice to freeze, refrigerate, or bake at this point. Sprinkle some more breadcrumbs on top if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 318.7 calories, Carbohydrate 23.1 g, Cholesterol 141.3 mg, Fat 14.1 g, Fiber 3.8 g, Protein 24.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.5 g, Sodium 1061.7 mg, Sugar 4.4 g
This is a dish that our family always makes at Thanksgiving and Christmastime. At one time that was the only time we could eat the dish because the bush would die after the first freeze of the winter. Nowadays they have a way of producing these wonderful vegetables almost year round.
Provided by al_salihi
Yield 16 1/2 pieces, 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Take the mirlitons and boil until tender by sticking a sharp knife into it. If it goes in easily just as when testing a potato they are ready. Do not overcook.
- Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, take your seasonings except for the garlic and parsley and saute until soft.
- Add shrimp and saute until pink.
- add garlic and parsley, bread crumbs, salt & pepper.
- Turn off heat.
- Take the mirlitons and cut in half lengthwise.
- Take a teaspoon and scoop out the seed and sac that surrounds it.
- Then scoop out the meat of the merliton and save it in the pan along with the dressing.
- You can use the shells to refill with the dressing if you care to. Since I usually end up tearing my shells, I usually end up using a casserole dish and adding everything into it after mixing well.
- If the mixture is dry once it is all mixed, you can add a little water or chicken broth a little at a time until it is just a tad pasty.
- Place a pat of butter on each half and bake in medium oven until browned and bubbly.
- You can make these ahead of time and freeze them.
- Take them out a day before you need them and let them thaw in the refrigerator and bake right before serving.
- For variety, you can use hot sausage out of the casing or ground meat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 258.6, Fat 11.6, SaturatedFat 6.3, Cholesterol 162.7, Sodium 291.2, Carbohydrate 17.3, Fiber 3.9, Sugar 4.6, Protein 21.8
SHRIMP STUFFED MIRLITONS (NOLA CUISINE)
I LOVE CHAYOTES!!! So finding this creole recipe using chayotes was a welcome surprise. Mirlitons (chayotes) grow in abundance in southern Louisiana. This version is stuffed with shrimp and sounds absolutely delicious - can't wait to try them!
Provided by Jostlori
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Cut the Mirlitons in half lengthwise, remove the seeds.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season with salt as you would pasta water. Add a few Bay leaves and a bundle of fresh Thyme. When the water comes to a boil add the mirliton halves, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender. Cool.
- When the mirlitons are cool scoop out most of the pulp, leaving a shell about 1/2 inch thick. Dry the shells by patting with a paper towel. Reserve 1/2 of the the pulp and drain on paper towels, as they hold a lot of water. When dry, chop.
- In a large cast iron skillet melt the unsalted butter over medium heat, when hot add the andouille. Cook stirring often until slightly browned.
- Add the onion, celery and bell pepper and the creole seasoning, cook for 8- 10 minutes stirring often until the onions start to carmelize and the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, Mirliton flesh and Thyme, cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the shrimp and green onions and cook until the shrimp turn pink.
- Add 1/2 Cup water (or Shrimp Stock if you have any on hand) and 1 Cup of the bread crumbs. Stir until the mixture comes together. More bread crumbs or water may be needed. The mixture should be thick, yet moist, and it should hold together. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping.
- Divide the stuffing amongst the 4 mirliton shells and cover with the topping. Place into a 350 degrees oven until hot and the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1419.7, Fat 49.8, SaturatedFat 26.8, Cholesterol 252.2, Sodium 4277.7, Carbohydrate 186.2, Fiber 13.4, Sugar 16, Protein 59.5
More about "cajun shrimp mirliton casserole recipes"
MIRLITON CASSEROLE WITH SHRIMP | FIRST...YOU HAVE A BEER
INTERNATIONAL MIRLITON/CHAYOTE RECIPES - MIRLITON
RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS | FOOD NETWORK
MIRLITON (CHAYOTE SQUASH) SEAFOOD CASSEROLE - DEEP …
SHRIMP & MIRLITON DRESSING RECIPE • ROUSES …
SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE | RECIPE | MIRLITON RECIPE, CAJUN DISHES, …
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE - SALTWATER GROVE SEAFOOD
WHAT IS MIRLITON CASSEROLE? UNDERSTAND THE POPULAR LOUISIANA ...
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE - PLAIN.RECIPES
MIRLITON & SHRIMP CASSEROLE | SHRIMP CASSEROLE, SHRIMP, CASSEROLE
CRABMEAT-SHRIMP MIRLITONS RICE DRESSING - CAJUN RECIPES
SHRIMP STUFFED MIRLITON - PAULA DEEN
MIRLITON SEAFOOD CASSEROLE | HOLIDAY RECIPES
SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE
MIRLITON, SHRIMP AND TASSO CASSEROLE | NEWORLEANSRESTAURANTS.COM
THANKSGIVING MIRLITON SHRIMP CASSEROLE - GRIS GRIS ISLAND
MIRLITON & SHRIMP CASSEROLE
MIRLITON CASSEROLE - CAJUN RECIPES
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
MIRLITON SHRIMP CASSEROLE RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
SHRIMP & MIRLITON DRESSING - 8112 - CAJUN.COM
JOHN BESH MIRLITON CASSEROLE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
CAJUN STUFFED MIRLITON RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
MIRLITON SHRIMP AND CRAB DRESSING - REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM
MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE - SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE
MIRLITON AND SHRIMP CASSEROLE - WAFB CHANNEL 9
MIRLITON & SHRIMP CASSEROLE | SHRIMP CASSEROLE, MIRLITON RECIPE, …
SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE | RECIPE | MIRLITON RECIPE, FOOD, CAJUN …
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE FOOD- WIKIFOODHUB
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP MIRLITON DRESSING | SHRIMP DRESSING RECIPE, …
MIRLITON CASSEROLE | COMMANDERS PALACE
SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE | RECIPE | MIRLITON RECIPE, RECIPES ...
MIRLITON (MIRLETON) VEGETABLE PEAR CASSEROLE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do I cook a mirliton casserole with shrimp?Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until browning on top and bubbling around the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside for about 10 minutes. For a more detailed explanation of the process, read my Mirliton Casserole with Shrimp article. If you have questions or comments, please leave them below.
How to cook Cajun shrimp in a pan?In skillet over medium heat melt butter and add chopped vegetables until soft; about 5 to 10 minutes. Chop the mirliton pulp and add to skillet. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and the shrimp and stir to combine. Stir in the breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
How to cook Mirlitons in the oven?Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the mirlitons and cook until tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from the heat, drain, and set aside to cool completely. Meanwhile, combine the shrimp with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon Bayou Blast in a mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly.
How do you cook mirlitons with Emeril's kick it up?1 teaspoon Emeril's Kick It Up! Red Pepper Sauce, or other hot sauce Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the mirlitons and cook until tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from the heat, drain, and set aside to cool completely.