Chana masala or chickpea curry, often called Amritsari Chole, originates from Punjab but is popular all over India. There are many versions of this dish and every house has its own take on it. This super authentic recipe from my mother-in-law's kitchen is my favorite, with the chickpeas smothered in a delicious thick, piquant and spiced gravy. First, they are cooked and infused with black tea and black cardamom, then simmered with a masala made with supremely aromatic roasted spices. This dish gets its tang from dried pomegranate seeds and raw mango powder. Though it's a little bit of work, it is the real McCoy and once you've had this version, nothing else will live up to it!
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 27
- Drain the chickpeas, then combine them in a large Dutch oven with the baking soda, bay leaves, black tea bag, black cardamom, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 cups of water. (To pressure cook the chickpeas, see Cook's Note.) Bring the mixture to a boil in a large Dutch oven, then reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered with a lid, until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour. If the liquid is evaporating too quickly before the chickpeas are tender, pour in an additional 1 cup of water and continue to cook. Discard the tea bag, bay leaves and cardamom. Drain the chickpeas and put them back in the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee and/or oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring and scraping occasionally, until the onions are very soft and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chiles and cook until the raw smell goes away, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until well cooked and pasty, about 8 minutes. Add the Roasted Chana Masala Spice Blend along with 2 tablespoons of water and saute until well mixed and the flavors have melded, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture to the chickpeas with 1 cup of water (see Cook's Note), mix well and bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer until the curry thickens and coats and infuses the chickpeas, about 5 minutes. Adjust salt to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges or julienned ginger slaw, if desired.
- Combine the whole spices (coriander, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and cardamom) in a small heavy skillet (preferably cast iron, if you have it) and roast over medium-high heat, shaking the pan often to ensure even roasting, until the spices start getting darker, 3 to 4 minutes. Lower the heat to low and add the powdered spices (pomegranate powder, mango powder, black salt, chile powder, turmeric and asafoetida) and cook, shaking or stirring constantly, until slightly darker, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the spices. Immediately transfer the spices to a bowl and cool. Once cooled, grind the spices. You can double or triple this recipe and keep it in an airtight container for future use.
DELICIOUS CHANA MASALA
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and green chile pepper in hot oil until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Season onion mixture with cumin, paprika, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper; stir. Cook onion with spices until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and tomato sauce; stir and simmer until the tomatoes soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir yogurt into the mixture until the color of the mixture is even; simmer until again hot, about 5 minutes more. Remove pan from heat; stir lemon juice and salt into the mixture.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 412.5 calories, Carbohydrate 72.7 g, Cholesterol 1.8 mg, Fat 7.8 g, Fiber 15.2 g, Protein 16.8 g, SaturatedFat 1.2 g, Sodium 1206.5 mg, Sugar 10.5 g
CHANA MASALA RECIPE
Simple chana masala recipe made in restaurant style. Chana masala is a popular Indian dish made with chickpeas in an onion tomato gravy. It goes great as a side with rice, paratha or roti.
Provided by Swasthi
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Rinse dried chickpeas at least thrice. Soak them in 3 ½ to 4 cups of water overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the water and rinse them well. Pour 1 ½ cups water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles on a stovetop cooker. You may also cook in an instant pot for 18 minutes on a high pressure. Let the pressure drop naturally.
- Make sure your chickpeas are soft and tender. Squeeze a chickpea to test, it should get mashed fully. If not cook them for a little longer.
- Heat a large pot and pour oil. When the oil turns slightly hot, add the whole spices - cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and bay leaf.
- When they begin to sizzle add the onions and saute until they turn light golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute without burning.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Let cook until mushy, pulpy and thick.
- Stir in red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder and cumin powder. Saute until the masala begins to smell good, for about 3 to 4 mins.
- Optional - If you want a smooth curry, cool this, discard the bay leaf and cinnamon. Blend in a blender to a smooth or coarse paste to suit your liking. I prefer to blend in 2 tbsps cooked chana along with the onion tomato masala. Add that puree back to the pan.
- Add the chana along with the chana stock (1¼ cups). Pour another ¾ to 1 cup water. If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them before adding with 1 ¾ cups water.
- Mix well. Taste test and add more salt. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the consistency is thick (check pics), add amchur powder (optional) and kasuri methi.
- Garnish Chana masala with coriander leaves. Sprinkle some lemon juice if required.
- To make the recipe in Instant pot, make the onion tomato masala on saute mode. Optionally If you want you may cool and blend this. Add the soaked chickpeas with 2 cups water. Deglaze and Pressure cook on high for 35 minutes. When the pressure drops, open the lid. Cook on a saute mode for a few minutes until thick. Add kasuri methi and amchur.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 193 kcal, Carbohydrate 24 g, Protein 6 g, Fat 9 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 519 mg, Fiber 7 g, Sugar 8 g, TransFat 1 g, UnsaturatedFat 8 g, ServingSize 1 serving
CHANA MASALA (SAVORY INDIAN CHICK PEAS)
Indian food is not just curried sauces. It's not too exotic either. Unless 'exotic' is code for 'yummy and full of flavor.' This dish features a healthy mixture of chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, and spices. Both carnivores and vegetarians will enjoy this meal. My kids love it. Leave out the green chile if the kiddies will be eating. Serve over basmati or jasmine rice and enjoy. Namaste y'all!
Provided by latinmama
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Grind onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, and chile pepper together in a food processor into a paste.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry bay leaves in hot oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the paste into the skillet and cook until the oil begins to separate from the mixture and is golden brown in color, 2 to 3 minutes. Season the mixture with chili powder, coriander, powder, gram masala, turmeric, and salt; cook and stir until very hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir enough water into the mixture to get a thick gravy; bring to a boil and stir chickpeas into the gravy. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 413.4 calories, Carbohydrate 46.2 g, Fat 22.8 g, Fiber 9.9 g, Protein 9.4 g, SaturatedFat 3.1 g, Sodium 524.9 mg, Sugar 5.3 g
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and slowly saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add in the curry powder and coriander and toast the spices until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium heat until the flavors have melded, 20 to 30 minutes. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Put some couscous in bowls and serve the chana masala on top.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté over a medium heat until browned (3-5 minutes).
- Turn heat to medium-low.
- Add the coriander, cumin (not the roasted cumin), cayenne and turmeric.
- Stir for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes until browned lightly.
- Add chickpeas and a cup of water and stir.
- Add the roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt and lemon juice.
- Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover add the minced chili and ginger.
- Stir and cook uncovered for 30 seconds.
This simplified version of an Indian favorite is a delightful way to showcase tasty chickpeas.
Provided by Nava Atlas
Yield 4 Servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- 1. Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- 2. Add the chickpeas, garam masala, turmeric, ginger, tomatoes, lemon juice, and about 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. This should be moist and stewlike, but not soupy; add a little more water, if needed.
- 3. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt. Serve on its own in shallow bowls or over a hot cooked grain, if desired.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add cumin seeds, and cook until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds. Add onions, and cook until they begin to brown. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, jalapeno, garam masala, and salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, and serve.
EASY CHANA MASALA
I love this quick and healthy Indian-inspired dish so much I always make sure to have the ingredients stocked in my pantry. It makes weeknight dinners feel a little more special. -Janeen Judah, Houston, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and, if desired, jalapeno; cook and stir until onion is softened and lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add salt and spices; cook and stir 1 minute., Stir in tomatoes and garbanzo beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice. Top with yogurt and cilantro. , Freeze option: Freeze cooled garbanzo bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 359 calories, Fat 8g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 2mg cholesterol, Sodium 616mg sodium, Carbohydrate 64g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 9g fiber), Protein 10g protein.
Serve this vegetarian Indian chickpea curry as a main meal or side dish. It's gluten-free, good for you and freezable so you can save any leftovers.
Provided by Elena Silcock
Categories Dinner, Lunch, Main course, Side dish
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Drain the chickpeas, add to a large pan with 400ml of water and season. Bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and set aside to allow the chickpea flavour to infuse the water.
- Blitz the onions with the garlic, ginger and green chillies. Melt the ghee in a large saucepan, then add the onion mix with a pinch of salt and cook for 8-10 mins, until softened.
- Stir in the spices, and cook for 3 more mins, adding a splash of the chickpea water to stop them sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and another splash of water and cook for 5 mins, squishing the tomatoes with a spoon as they soften. Tip in the chickpeas, along with their cooking water. Cook for 10 mins. Season well, add the lemon juice, and a splash of water if you like a looser curry. Scatter with the coriander, to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 140 calories, Fat 5 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 15 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 5 grams sugar, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 6 grams protein, Sodium 0.1 milligram of sodium
More about "chana masala recipes"
CHANA MASALA RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
5/5 (1)Category Dinner, StewCuisine IndianTotal Time 45 mins
CHANA MASALA RECIPE - BBC FOOD
CHANA MASALA (INSTANT POT OR STOVETOP) | FEASTING AT HOME
VEGAN CHANA MASALA - LOVING IT VEGAN
CHANA MASALA - THE WASHINGTON POST
CHANA MASALA (EASY INDIAN CHICKPEA CURRY) – MASALACHILLI
CHANA MASALA - HIGH CARB HANNAH
CHANA MASALA - COOK WITH MANALI
CHANA MASALA - VEGAN HEAVEN
CHANA MASALA RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
CHANA MASALA - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
AUTHENTIC CHANA MASALA (INDIAN CHICKPEA CURRY) - TEA FOR …
HOMEMADE CHANA MASALA RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
CHANNA MASALA RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
KALA CHANA RECIPE | BLACK CHICKPEAS CURRY - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
EASY CHANA MASALA | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
QUICK CHANA MASALA WITH SPINACH - FOODIECRUSH.COM
CHANA MASALA RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
CHANA MASALA - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC INDIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
CHANA MASALA | CHOLE RECIPE | PUNJABI CHOLE MASALA
QUICK CHANA MASALA RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
CHANA MASALA RECIPE | CHICKPEA MASALA | CHANA MASALA CURRY
CHANA MASALA | CANADIAN LIVING
EASY CHANA MASALA - SIX HUNGRY FEET - RECIPES - VEGAN
CHANA MASALA RECIPE | PBS FOOD
CHANA MASALA - BLACK CHICKPEA CURRY - THE SPICY CAFE
CHANA MASALA | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN
CHANA MASALA (GARBANZO CURRY) RECIPE - TODAY.COM
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT CHANA MASALA
CHANA MASALA - CAROLINE'S COOKING
AUTHENTIC CHANA MASALA RECIPE (INDIAN CHICKPEA CURRY)
HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC CHANA MASALA RECIPE WITH CANNED CHICKPEAS
RESTAURANT STYLE CHANA MASALA - KANNAMMA COOKS
CHANA MASALA RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
CHANA MASALA RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
THE BEST CHANA MASALA RECIPE – LIVE SIMPLY NATURAL
EASY CHANA MASALA RECIPE (HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA CURRY)
CHANA MASALA POWDER RECIPE | CHOLE MASALA POWDER | CHANA POWDER
#weeknight #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #soups-stews #beans #asian #pakistani #vegan #vegetarian #dietary #spicy #comfort-food #inexpensive #chick-peas-garbanzos #taste-mood #savory
You'll also love