My husband asks me to prepare this easy chicken fried steak recipe regularly. I like it because it's so simple to make. -Denice Louk, Garnett, Kansas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder and seasonings. In another shallow bowl, combine egg and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Dip each cube steak in buttermilk mixture, then roll in flour mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes., In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on medium-high. Fry steaks for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully; cook until coating is crisp and meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes longer. Remove steaks and keep warm., Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and remaining buttermilk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 537 calories, Fat 11g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 186mg cholesterol, Sodium 865mg sodium, Carbohydrate 64g carbohydrate (11g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 43g protein.
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH GRAVY
- For the steak: Begin with setting up an assembly line of dishes. Mix the milk with the eggs in one; the flour mixed with the seasoned salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, paprika and cayenne in another; and the meat in a third. Then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.
- Work with one piece of meat at a time. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and black pepper, then place it in the flour mixture. Turn to coat. Place the meat into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Finally, place it back in the flour and turn to coat (dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture). Place the breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with the remaining meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it's sufficiently hot. When the butter sizzles immediately, you know it's ready. (It should not brown right away, if it does, the fire is too hot.) Cook the meat, 3 pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Remove the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and keep them warm by covering lightly with another plate or a sheet of foil. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
- After all the meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup of the grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.
- For the gravy: When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Add more flour if it looks overly greasy; add a little more grease if it becomes too pasty/clumpy. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a deep golden brown color.
- Pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, whisking, until the gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.
- Serve the meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes. Pour gravy over the whole shebang!
THE BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
I received this recipe from a co-worker about 5 years ago. This is by far the best chicken fried steak I've ever had. I've made this numerous times for my picky eater son and my southern-raised better half, as well as other family and friends. I get nothing but rave reviews each time.
Provided by norah
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
- Heat the shortening in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Drain the fat from the skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid and as much of the solid remnants as possible.
- Return the skillet to medium-low heat with the reserved oil. Whisk the remaining flour into the oil. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release solids into the gravy. Stir in the milk, raise the heat to medium, and bring the gravy to a simmer, cook until thick, 6 to 7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 791.1 calories, Carbohydrate 71.1 g, Cholesterol 123.6 mg, Fat 34.3 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 47 g, SaturatedFat 11.9 g, Sodium 1393.4 mg, Sugar 16.1 g
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
For a classic, down-home supper, try Alton Brown's Chicken-Fried Steak recipe smothered in gravy, from Good Eats on Food Network.
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices. Season each piece on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Place the eggs into a separate pie pan. Dredge the meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Once tenderized, dredge the meat again in the flour, followed by the egg and finally in the flour again. Repeat with all the pieces of meat. Place the meat onto a plate and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
- Place enough of the vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 12-inch slope-sided skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook each piece on both sides until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a wire rack set in a half sheet pan and place into the oven. Repeat until all of the meat is browned.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil, or at least 1 tablespoon, to the pan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of the flour left over from the dredging. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Add the milk and thyme and whisk until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste, with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the gravy over the steaks.
Through good times and bad, the cube steak has remained a wallflower among meat cuts. Old-fashioned and a little mysterious, it's a steak without pretension, or maybe a hamburger with humble aspirations. The term "cube" can be a little murky. It doesn't refer to the shape of the meat, which is usually beef but is sometimes made from pork, elk or other animals. Rather, it refers to both the shape of the dimples that checkerboard the surface of cube steak and the process that puts the dimples there. Those dimples provide more surface area for flour to cling to, which makes for crisper cutlets in recipes like this simply-prepared (no batter, just a generous dusting of flour) chicken-fried steak.
Provided by Kim Severson
Categories dinner, quick, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Pour a half-inch of oil into a cast-iron or other large, heavy skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Put flour, salt and pepper in a large zip-top bag or in a large baking dish and mix well. Pour milk into a large bowl. Dip each piece of steak in milk, shake off excess and then shake in bag of flour or press into dish of flour, making sure both sides are well coated. Shake off excess.
- Lay steaks into hot oil until skillet is full, but not crowded. Cook for about 3 minutes a side, or until a good crust is formed. You may need to do this in batches, moving steaks to a platter in the warm oven as they cook. When done, pour off all but about 4 tablespoons of fat from pan, leaving in as many browned bits as possible, and turn off heat.
- Pour milk into a saucepan and add enough water to make 3 cups. Heat over medium heat until just before boiling point.
- Turn heat under frying pan to medium. When oil is hot, sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, quickly stirring until flour starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add liquid, stirring constantly to remove lumps and cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 862, UnsaturatedFat 44 grams, Carbohydrate 37 grams, Fat 58 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 48 grams, SaturatedFat 9 grams, Sodium 739 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
POOR MAN'S CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
A chicken-fried steak made with hamburger. Very nice flavor! Salt and pepper are your friends in this recipe.
Provided by Bryan Nelson
Categories 100+ Everyday Cooking Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Divide the meat into 4 pieces, and flatten into thin beef patties. Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat until almost smoking, and cook the beef patties until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side; set the cooked burgers aside. Drain excess grease but leave any browned drippings in the skillet.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together 1 cup of flour with salt and black pepper. In a separate shallow bowl, beat the eggs until smooth, mixing in a half teaspoon of water if needed.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of cooked burgers into the eggs, then dredge in the seasoned flour; repeat 3 times to build up a thick coating on the burgers. Place the burgers into the hot oil, and pan-fry until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Set burgers aside.
- Spoon away any excess vegetable oil. Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat, and stir to loosen any brown flavor bits left in the bottom of the skillet. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour until smooth. If you prefer a very thick gravy, use more flour. Gradually whisk in milk, cooking until the gravy is thick. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and serve the gravy over the chicken-fried beef patties.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 357.3 calories, Carbohydrate 28.6 g, Cholesterol 232.8 mg, Fat 17 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 21.2 g, SaturatedFat 6.9 g, Sodium 148.7 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
Try a classic American Deep South dish that fuses steak with southern-fried chicken. The steak is coated in a spice mix and fried for an indulgent dinner
Provided by Tom Kerridge
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Put the steaks on a board and bash with a rolling pin until about half the original thickness. Mix the eggs with the cayenne in a bowl. Combine the ingredients for the spice mix with a large pinch of salt in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip the steaks into the egg, then the spice mix, turning to coat. Pour the oil into a large non-stick frying pan until the base of the pan is covered. Fry the steaks over a high heat for 2 mins until crisp, then turn and fry for 2 mins more. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- If you're making the sauce, pour away all but 1 tbsp oil from the pan and stir in the flour, cooking until browned. Crumble in the stock cube. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking until smooth and fully incorporated. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 4-5 mins. Season. Add the thyme and plenty of black pepper, then squeeze in the lemon juice to taste. Serve the steaks with the sauce, and greens and corn, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 699 calories, Fat 28 grams fat, SaturatedFat 10 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 52 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 7 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 58 grams protein, Sodium 2 milligram of sodium
CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK & GRAVY
As a child, my grandmother taught me how to make this chicken-fried steak. I taught my daughters, and when my granddaughters are bigger, I'll show them, too. -Donna Cater, Fort Ann, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place 1 cup flour in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs and 1/2 cup milk until blended. Sprinkle steaks with 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dip in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour., In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium heat. Add steaks; cook until golden brown and a thermometer reads 160°, 4-6 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; drain on paper towels. Keep warm., Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from pan. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Gradually whisk in water and remaining milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 563 calories, Fat 28g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 148mg cholesterol, Sodium 839mg sodium, Carbohydrate 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 46g protein.
CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK (CHICKEN WITH CREAMY GRAVY)
A cast-iron skillet will work the best for this recipe, this also works well using beef that has been pounded thinly. Serve with fries or mashed potatoes...total comfort food! Make certain not to crush the crackers to a fine powder --- this is very good!
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Season the chicken breasts with black pepper.
- In a shallow dish combine crushed cracker crumbs with flour 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne pepper (if using) and baking powder.
- In another shallow dish whisk together eggs with 3/4 milk.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the cracker mixture then dip in the egg/milk mixture, then dredge AGAIN in the cracker mixture.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet and heat to 360 degrees F.
- Fry the breasts in hot oil for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove to a wire rack and cover lightly with foil.
- Carefully drain oil but reserve the browned bits in the bottom of the skillet along with a couple tablespoons of the oil.
- In a bowl mix together 4 cups half and half cream, 1/4 cup flour 1 teaspoon seasoned salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper; whisk until combined, then add to the reserved drippings in the skillet, cook whisking constantly over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve the creamed gravy with the breasts.
MOCK CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
I'm not sure where my mom got this recipe, but she used to make it at least once a month. Although she never served it with gravy, I think peppered gravy would go great with this.
Provided by OMEGAJASMINE
Categories Main Dish Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, parsley, chili powder, salt, egg, and 1 cup of crushed saltine crackers. Form into 6 balls, then flatten into patties. Coat patties with remaining cracker crumbs, and place them on a plate. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry patties for about 7 minutes per side, or until the centers are well done and the outside is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 412.3 calories, Carbohydrate 17.4 g, Cholesterol 77 mg, Fat 30.9 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 16 g, SaturatedFat 6.5 g, Sodium 706.6 mg, Sugar 0.3 g
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK I
Breaded and deep fried beef cutlets are known as chicken fried steak because of the similarity in cooking method to fried chicken. This is a family recipe that we have used for years. Vegetable oil may be used in place of shortening for frying.
Provided by Barbara
Categories Main Dish Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cut top loin crosswise into 4 (4 ounce) cutlets. Using a glancing motion, pound each cutlet thinly with a moistened mallet or the side of a cleaver.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/2 inch shortening to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- While the shortening is heating, prepare cutlets. In a shallow bowl, beat together egg, buttermilk, salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, mix together garlic powder and 1cup flour. Dip cutlets in flour, turning to evenly coat both sides. Dip in egg mixture, coating both sides, then in flour mixture once again.
- Place cutlets in heated shortening. Cook until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Drain grease, reserving 1/2 cup.
- Using the reserved drippings in the pan, prepare gravy over medium heat. Blend in 1/4 cup flour to form a paste. Gradually add milk to desired consistency, stirring constantly. For a thicker gravy add less milk; for a thinner gravy stir in more. Heat through, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over chicken fried steak.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 616.6 calories, Carbohydrate 44.4 g, Cholesterol 134.2 mg, Fat 25.9 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 48.5 g, SaturatedFat 9.8 g, Sodium 249.6 mg, Sugar 14.6 g
ROUTE 66 CHICKEN FRIED STEAK SANDWICH
When I moved to Oklahoma from Florida, I learned "Okies" love their chicken fry. In fact, if you ask someone who has ever traveled old Route 66 from Miami (Okies pronounce this My-am-uh) to the town of Texola what's the worst food you can eat they'll likely say "chicken fried steak". The best thing you can eat on Route 66? That would also be chicken fried steak. As contradictory as it may seem it's true! I tried to lighten this dish up by air frying, but feel free to grab a cast iron skillet and cook these steaks up too!
Provided by thedailygourmet
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Combine milk, cola, and steak sauce in a large resealable dish or bag and add the tenderized round steak. Marinate for 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, granulated onion, and granulated garlic for the chicken fry breading in a shallow dish. Whip egg in a second shallow dish until light and frothy for the chicken dip. Add buttermilk, salt, and pepper.
- Drain steaks from the steak marinade and dredge in chicken fry mixture, shaking off excess. Then dredge in the chicken dip mixture, allow excess to drip off. Dredge in the chicken fry mixture again, shaking off excess. Place steaks on a sheet pan and press any remaining flour mixture onto the steaks. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat an air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place steaks in the air fryer basket. Lightly coat with vegetable oil spray.
- Air fry for 4 minutes. Carefully turn steaks and coat the other side with vegetable oil spray. Air-fry for another 4 minutes. Serve each steak on a toasted bun, topped with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayonnaise.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 506.5 calories, Carbohydrate 65 g, Cholesterol 90.8 mg, Fat 14.7 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 27 g, SaturatedFat 4.7 g, Sodium 1518.6 mg, Sugar 7.7 g
AS EASY AS IT GETS CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK
Chicken-fried steak is a treat no Southerner can resist! And I can't resist a 5-ingredient version of the recipe. This is really not a hard food to prepare and I give ideas for rounding out a traditional meal using convenience foods. Prepare as much of your menu as possible beforehand because once the meat starts cooking, it goes fast! Treat yourself to some real down-home southern cooking today!
Provided by Lorraine of AZ
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl; I use soup bowls. You may measure these, as I do, Rachael Ray style ~ in other words I eyeball the amounts. In a second bowl. whisk together the milk and egg until lemon colored. I a third bowl, add the dry bread crumbs. Line the bowls up assemble-line style.
- Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour, knocking off excess. Dip floured meat in the egg and milk mixture, coating well. Then dredge in the bread crumbs, again, coating well.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet (traditional but your own skillet will work) over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil is hot enough to spit back at you if you sprinkle water on it, add meat and brown 2-1/2 minutes per side for rare, 4 minutes per side for medium and 6 minutes per side for well-done. Turn only once. As you see, this goes fast and the meat requires your full attention while cooking. Remove meat to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Notes: A traditional meal of chicken-fried steak includes:.
- Mashed potatoes: use a prepared mix or refrigerated potatoes.
- Country gravy: use an envelope of country-style gravy and prepare according to package directions.
- Green beans: canned beans work well, perhaps flavored with some bacon.
- Biscuits: use refrigerated baking powder style biscuits. These are a vital part of the Southerner's meal.
- Salad: A wedge of lettuce or tossed green salad goes well.
- Dessert: That's up to you. Mississippi Mud Cake was a fave in our home (recipe is posted).
- Remember to prepare as much as possible of the menu beforehand so that once the meat is cooked, you're ready to heat.
- To make CHICKEN-FRIED CHICKEN, I follow this same recipe, but I use pounded boneless skinless chicken breasts (your butcher will do this for you). I do like Panko on the chicken.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 261.9, Fat 20.3, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 48.6, Sodium 97.7, Carbohydrate 15.9, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 0.7, Protein 4.2
More about "chicken fried steak recipes"
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
Ratings 35Calories 886 per servingCategory Brunch, Dinner, Comfort Food
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK (BETTER THAN ANY RESTAURANT!) - HOUSE ...
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK + VIDEO | KEVIN IS COOKING
THE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE BY NGUYEN THI BICH TUYEN ...
ZATARAIN'S CHICKEN FRIED STEAK AND GRAVY - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK - SOUTHERN LIVING
BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ...
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH CREAM GRAVY | RECIPE - RACHAEL ...
THE ULTIMATE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE WITH GRAVY - …
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - THE CHUNKY CHEF
BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ...
THE GOOD DISH ADAM RICHMAN'S CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH ...
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - MCCORMICK
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK EVER | ALLRECIPES
10 BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPES | YUMMLY
WHAT CUT OF MEAT IS CHICKEN FRIED STEAK? - BRADY'S LANDING
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE - THE COZY COOK
SOUTHERN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH GRAVY - KITCHN
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - PAULA DEEN
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH WHITE GRAVY RECIPE
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK THAT'S CRISPY, TENDER IS POSSIBLE AT ...
TENDER AND BEEFY CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
12 CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE IDEAS IN 2022 | CHICKEN ...
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #main-dish #beef #poultry #kid-friendly #dietary #comfort-food #meat #steak #taste-mood
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make chicken fried steak in a pan?How to Make Chicken Fried Steak Video. Whisk together eggs and 1/3 cup milk in another shallow bowl. Dredge cubed steak in flour, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with Saltine mixture. Heat about 1/2-inch oil in a large pan (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Cook steak in 2 batches for about 3 minutes per side.
How long to cook chicken fried steak with gravy?Reduce heat to low, letting gravy cook and thicken to desired consistency, about 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove chicken-fried steak from oven, spoon gravy over, or on the side. Since this is a traditional Southern dish, it only seems natural to serve it with beloved Southern-style sides.
What is chicken-fried steak?Chicken-fried steak, if you are unfamiliar with the dish, is a Southern favorite—tenderized beef cutlets, dipped in egg and flour and fried, much like fried chicken, but with steak.
What is the best way to make fried chicken?I recommend frying one at a time for the crispiest results. About 4 minutes per side. Melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour. Add oil from the pan drippings along with minced garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and seasonings. Stir to combine. Add milk and half and half.