CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH ROASTED TOMATILLO CHILE SALSA
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the salsa:
- On a baking tray, roast tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos for 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor. Add the cumin, salt, cilantro, and lime juice and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky.
- For the enchiladas:
- Meanwhile heat a 2 count of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized - this should take 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin then cook for a further minute. Sprinkle on the flour and stir to ensure the flour doesn't burn then gradually add the chicken stock to make a veloute. Continue stirring over a low simmer until the flour cooks and the liquid thickens. Turn off the heat, add half of the roasted tomatillo chile salsa, some additional fresh chopped cilantro and fold in the shredded chicken meat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Change the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees F and begin assembling the dish. Take a large flameproof baking dish and smear the bottom with some of the reserved tomatillo salsa. Now take the flour tortillas and briefly flash them over the stove-top flame (or put them briefly under the broiler if using an electric stove). Using a shallow bowl, coat each tortilla lightly with the reserved salsa mix. Put a scoop of the shredded chicken-enchilada mix on top of the tortilla followed by a sprinkle of the shredded cheese. Fold the tortilla over the filling and roll like a cigar to enclose it. Using a spatula place the tortillas in the baking dish and continue to do the same with all the tortillas. Finally pour over some more of the salsa and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbly and cracked on top. Garnish, cilantro and tomato.
- Serve hot with Spicy Black Beans and Yellow Rice, the remaining tomatillo salsa, sour cream and fresh guacamole, if desired.
- In a large pot, soak beans overnight covered in water by 2 inches. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and bay leaf and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by about 1-inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Taste the beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Put all the ingredients into a heavy-bottomed pot, stir well, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until the rice has absorbed the water, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the garlic and bay leaf, fluff with a fork, and serve.
TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
This easy recipe for Tomatillo Chicken Enchilada Casserole contains layers of cheesy, melted Monterey Jack, shredded chicken and flavorful tomatillo enchilada sauce.
Provided by Lauren Harris
Categories Main Dish
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and cumin and add to the pan.
- Cook until the chicken is done through and no longer pink in the center, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock and 1/2 cup of the tomatillo sauce. Cook over medium for just a minute or two to blend and warm everything through.
- Place a layer of corn tortillas into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Top with half of the chicken mixture, drizzle 1/4 cup of the tomatillo sauce over the chicken, and top with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Add a second layer and top with the remaining chicken and another 1/4 cup of tomatillo sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Add a final layer of tortillas to the top of the casserole. Top with the remaining tomatillo sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and transfer the baking dish bake to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until everything is heated through and the cheese on top is hot and melted.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, sour cream, jalapeño pepper slices, and/or avocado, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 549 kcal, Carbohydrate 44 g, Protein 48 g, Fat 21 g, SaturatedFat 9 g, TransFat 1 g, Cholesterol 131 mg, Sodium 444 mg, Fiber 8 g, Sugar 5 g
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE I
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a 5 quart pot combine the chicken, cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and green chiles, onion, garlic, chicken broth, chili powder and cheese. Heat over medium high until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are mixed together well.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, layer the mixture and the tortillas like you would lasagna. Make sure to put a thin layer of the mixture on the bottom of the baking dish to prevent sticking. After layering, place dish in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until cheese starts to brown and bubble. Let stand and cool for at least 10 minutes before serving!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 532.8 calories, Carbohydrate 30.5 g, Cholesterol 139.2 mg, Fat 24.9 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 46.6 g, SaturatedFat 12.1 g, Sodium 2042.9 mg, Sugar 2.2 g
LAYERED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO-CILANTRO SAUCE
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix tomatillos, chicken broth, and garlic cloves in large saucepan. Cover and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently until tomatillos are soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer hot mixture to processor. Add sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, and sliced chile; blend mixture to coarse puree. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Overlap 6 tortillas in 13x9x2-inch oval or rectangular baking dish. Top tortillas with half of chicken strips and half of mozzarella strips. Pour 2 cups tomatillo sauce evenly over. Top with remaining tortillas, chicken strips, and mozzarella. Pour 1 1/2 cups tomatillo sauce over, then whipping cream. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until bubbling, about 25 minutes. Cool enchiladas 10 minutes. Serve with remaining tomatillo sauce.
CHICKEN & TOMATILLO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE RECIPE - (4.4/5)
Provided by HeatherS
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Puree half of tomatillos in food processor. Stir together chopped tomatillos, pureed tomatillos, scallions, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, salt, and black pepper in large shallow bowl. Dip both sides of 1 tortilla in tomatillo mixture. Place tortilla on sheet of foil on work surface; top with about 3 tablespoons of chicken, 1/2 tablespoon of cheese, and 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Fold two opposite sides of tortilla over to enclose filling. Place enchilada, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sour cream, making total of 12 enchiladas. Pour remaining tomatillo mixture over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining 6 tablespoons cheese. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 20 minutes; uncover and bake until edges of enchiladas begin to brown and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. PER SERVING (2 enchiladas and l/s of sauce): 390 Cal, 9 g Total Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 78 mg Choi, 589 mg Sod, 44 g Garb, 6 g Sugar, 5 g Fib, 33 g Prot, 278 mg Calc.
LAYERED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO-CILANTRO SAUCE
A layered enchilada dish that is creamy and rich with a tangy tomatillo sauce. Delicious! From Bon Appetit September issue of this year. The amount of cheese could easily be reduced for this dish, but mmm...yum! The kids loved it!
Provided by lisar
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Mix tomatillos, chicken broth and garlic cloves in a large saucepan. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until tomatillos are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer hot mixture to processor. Add sliced green onions, cilantro and sliced chile; blend mixture to coarse puree (Note: be extremely careful when processing hot liquids). Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Overlap 6 tortillas in a sprayed 13 x 9 pan. Top with half of the chicken strips and half of the mozzarella strips. Pour 2 cups tomatillo sauce evenly over. Top with remaining tortillas, chicken and mozzarella. Pour 1 ½ cups tomatillo sauce over, then whipping cream. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes. Cool enchiladas 10 minutes. Serve with remaining tomatillos sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 512.1, Fat 30.6, SaturatedFat 15.9, Cholesterol 138.1, Sodium 451.6, Carbohydrate 25.8, Fiber 4.9, Sugar 6.1, Protein 35
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO SAUCE
I found this recipe in a magazine and tried it and loved it. The tomatillos give the sauce a kind of citrous lime type of flavor. Very unique and different and very addicting.
Provided by Donna
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- To make the sauce, husk the tomatillos and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness and dirt. Broil on foil baking sheet 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once. till soft and slightly charred, about 7 - 9 mintues.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med. heat. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes.
- Transfer tomatillos to a blender and add the sauteed onions, cilantro, green chilies, cumin, sugar and salt; puree till smooth.
- Return tomatillo sauce to skillet and cook over med. heat till thickened about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Add the broth and cream and continue cooking till the sauce is slightly thickened and not watery, about 5 - 8 minute Add more salt if desired.
- To make enchiladas, brush both sides with oil and lay on cookie sheet in stacks of two. Heat in 375 over just until soft and pliable, about 3 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine the chicken, half of the cheddar. half of the monterey jack, the chopped onion and the salt. Add 1/2 cup of the sauce to the chicken mixture and toss to combine.
- Spread a third of the remaining sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of a tortilla. Roll up the tortilla and place seam down in the dish. Repeat with the other tortillas. Pour the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining jack and cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until the enchiladas are heated through and the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown, about 20 - 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 651.4, Fat 40, SaturatedFat 18.6, Cholesterol 134.5, Sodium 1179.2, Carbohydrate 37.5, Fiber 6.9, Sugar 10.2, Protein 37.8
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a blender, puree tomatillos until smooth. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and jalapenos and cook until softened, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatillo puree and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened slightly, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Briefly run stack of tortillas under cold water, turning to lightly dampen. Wrap stack in a clean kitchen towel and microwave until pliable, 30 seconds. Fill each tortilla with about 3 tablespoons chicken, fold in half, and arrange in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, overlapping slightly. Top with tomatillo mixture, cover with foil, and bake until bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and 2 tablespoons water. To serve, drizzle casserole with sour cream mixture and sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 300 g, Fat 12 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 15 g, SaturatedFat 4 g
SPICY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO SALSA
Delicious variation of traditional chicken enchiladas. I like to make the tomatillo salsa and tortillas from scratch! We cook up the chicken on the grill for less mess. My hubby's favorite dish!
Provided by chaunce.c
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Season chicken with cayenne, salt, and black pepper.
- Place chicken on the preheated grill and cook until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer to a plate and shred using 2 forks.
- Combine tomatillos, serrano peppers, vinegar, water, onion, garlic, and salt in a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tomatillos are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill in an ice bath until cool, 20 to 30 minutes. Add cilantro and lime juice. Blend salsa thoroughly using an immersion blender.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix shredded chicken, cream cheese, 4 ounces Mexican cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup salsa, onion, and cayenne pepper together in a medium bowl.
- Pour just enough salsa into a 9x13-inch baking pan to thinly cover the bottom. Place a heaping spoonful of filling into each tortilla, roll, and place into the pan. Try to keep them from touching. Top with remaining salsa and Mexican cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 657.4 calories, Carbohydrate 43 g, Cholesterol 133.4 mg, Fat 38.7 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 34.3 g, SaturatedFat 22.4 g, Sodium 969.6 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
More about "chicken tomatillo enchilada casserole recipe 445"
ROASTED TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE - PINCH OF YUM
Reviews 25Calories 430 per servingCategory Dinner
- SAUCE: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the tomatillos and jalapeño peppers on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Wrap the garlic cloves up in a small piece of foil, drizzling the with a bit of oil as well before you wrap it up. Place the foil garlic packet on the baking sheet with the tomatillos. Roast for 15 minutes – stir once to prevent burning, and roast for another 15 minutes. Unwrap the foil and transfer the roasted garlic, tomatillos, and jalapeños to a food processor. Add the cilantro and green onions. Pulse until mostly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the broth, sour cream, and oil.
- CHICKEN: While the sauce is roasting, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the chicken, turn heat off, and cover tightly. Let rest for 30 minutes. This will poach the chicken – it should be cooked by the time the sauce is done. When it’s done, shred the chicken and reserve the water.
- ASSEMBLE: Dip a tortilla in the hot water from step two until it’s very soft. Lay it on the bottom of a greased 9-inch square baking dish. Cut the next tortilla in half, dip the halves in the water, and place them in the corners of the pan. Layer with half of the chicken, one third of the sauce, and one third of the cheese. Repeat layers. End with a final layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.
- BAKE: Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly – I’d put a pan underneath to catch sauce drips. Sprinkle with extra cilantro before serving.
CHICKEN-FILLED ENCHILADAS WITH TANGY TOMATILLO SAUCE
RICK BAYLESSROASTED TOMATILLO ENCHILADAS - RICK BAYLESS
CHICKEN & TOMATILLO ENCHILADAS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
ROASTED TOMATILLO & CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE - JO COOKS
TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO SAUCE - ONCE UPON A …
KETO CHICKEN TOMATILLO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE ⋆ LONE STAR …
CHICKEN TOMATILLO ENCHILADAS - BIGOVEN.COM
CHICKEN AND TOMATILLO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE | RECIPES | WW …
Cuisine Tex-MexCategory DinnerServings 6Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Put tomatillos in food processor and process until finely chopped. Stir together tomatillos, scallions, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, salt, and black pepper in large shallow bowl.
- Dip both sides of 1 tortilla into tomatillo mixture. Place tortilla on foil on work surface; top with about ¼ cup of chicken, ½ tablespoon of Mexican cheese blend, and 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Fold two opposite sides of tortilla over to enclose filling. Place enchilada, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken, 5½ tablespoons of cheese, and sour cream, making total of 12 enchiladas. Pour remaining tomatillo mixture over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining 6 tablespoons cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 20 minutes; uncover and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes longer.
CHICKEN AND TOMATILLO ENCHILADA CASSEROLE | HEALTHY …
Cuisine MexicanCategory Dinner,LunchServings 6Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH ROASTED TOMATILLO SAUCE
SOUR CREAM CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE (63 CENTS/SERVING)
MASTERBUILT - MASTER IT.
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE · EASY FAMILY RECIPES
LAYERED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO-CILANTRO SAUCE RECIPE
NICEA MAKES DINNER: ROASTED TOMATILLO AND CHICKEN ENCHILADA …
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH ROASTED TOMATILLO SAUCE
ROASTED TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
ROASTED TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO SAUCE - FEAST & FABLE
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO SAUCE | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED RECIPE
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE - THE FRUGAL CHEF
CHEESY CHICKEN TOMATILLO CASSEROLE - BROOKLYN FARM GIRL
TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - BIGOVEN.COM
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO SAUCE RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE WITH HOMEMADE TOMATILLO SALSA
ROASTED TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADA PIE RECIPE - LITTLE SPICE JAR
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE VERDE | ENCHILADA CASSEROLE RECIPES ...
ROASTED TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - OH SWEET BASIL
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH HOMEMADE TOMATILLO SAUCE RECIPE FROM …
10 BEST CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE RECIPES - YUMMLY
CREAMY TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADAS | LAMEASS.RECIPES
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH CREAMY TOMATILLO SAUCE - RECIPE
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH TOMATILLO : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
ROASTED TOMATILLO CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE | RECIPE | TOMATILLO ...
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS VERDES L PANNING THE GLOBE
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH CREAMY TOMATILLO SAUCE | RECIPE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook tomatillos for enchiladas?Roasting tomatillos before pureeing them into a green enchilada sauce adds another dimension of flavor and a little sweetness. Put out plenty of toppings so everyone can add what they like. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat 2 rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.
How do you make chicken enchiladas in a pie pan?Dip 1 tortilla in the sauce in the pie pan, coating both sides. Top the tortilla with 1/4 cup chicken and 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place, seam-side down, in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, chicken and 7 tablespoons cheese. Top the enchiladas with the sauce remaining in the pie pan and the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
How to cook tomatillos in the oven?Preheat the oven to 350°F. To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos, garlic, jalapenos or serranos and spring onion, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables get a little color, about 1 to 2 minutes.
How to cook tomatillos for Taco soup?Add the tomatillos, garlic, jalapenos or serranos and spring onion, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables get a little color, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the stock or water, bring to a boil and cook until the tomatillos turn a deep, dark green, about 2 to 3 minutes.