- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, without browning, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add sorrel and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Stir in boiling stock. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, beat yolks lightly with cream. Whisking constantly, slowly pour 1 cup hot stock mixture into egg mixture, then return back to saucepan. Do not let soup boil after egg yolks have been added or yolks will curdle.
- Stir in softened butter and serve hot with a dollop of creme fraiche and chervil. If serving the soup chilled, do not add the softened butter.
BABA'S BEST SORREL SOUP
This hearty, herbed soup has a wonderful old-world flavor! After I had experimented with and tweaked several sorrel soup recipes, my 88-year-old father-in-law declared it tasted like his mom made back in Poland - the ultimate compliment! It doesn't look like much, but is it ever tasty and filling. Use fresh sorrel in the spring, when the leaves are most tender. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with your favorite fresh herbs - parsley, dill, or cilantro. Serve with crusty bread or hearty biscuits.
Provided by SandyS
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sorrel in batches, stirring well until wilted, 5 to 8 minutes in all.
- Pour chicken stock and water into the Dutch oven. Stir in potatoes, carrot, parsley, dill, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer soup until flavors combine, about 1 hour.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until mostly smooth before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 379.5 calories, Carbohydrate 37.5 g, Cholesterol 66 mg, Fat 23.9 g, Fiber 5.3 g, Protein 5.9 g, SaturatedFat 14.7 g, Sodium 1000.2 mg, Sugar 4.6 g
CHILLED SORREL-AND-PEA SOUP
- Combine 3 cups of water and the rice in a pot; simmer, covered, until very soft, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat, add the onion and cook until slightly soft. Add the peas and toss for 1 minute. Add the rice with its cooking liquid, the sugar and salt.
- Simmer, covered, until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Pass the soup through the medium disk of a food mill.
- Slice the sorrel into slivers. Reserve a handful for garnish and place the rest in a nonaluminum pot with the remaining 1/2 cup water. Stir over moderate heat until "melted."
- Add the sorrel to the puree and press the mixture through a fine sieve. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup cream. Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours. To serve, add buttermilk and cream to taste and check seasoning. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the remaining sorrel and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 186, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 23 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 586 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CHILLED WATERCRESS, SPRING NETTLE, AND SORREL SOUP
- In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil and butter over medium heat until the butter is foamy. Add the onion, leeks, garlic, and salt, and stir to coat. Let cook 10 minutes, then add 4 cups stock or water. Bring to a simmer. Add the watercress and nettles and simmer just until tender. Using a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl, strain the soup, separating the liquid from the solids, but reserve both. Transfer both to the refrigerator and cool 2 hours. Remove the separated cooled soup ingredients from the refrigerator and recombine. Puree the soup in batches in the food processor or in a blender, and add the sorrel leaves a little at a time. The soup will have some texture. When finished processing, taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Transfer the soup to chilled bowls and garnish with a spoonful of crème fraîche, a drizzle of olive oil, and a few thin slices of leek tops or green garlic tops.
CHILLED SORREL SOUP
A tangy cold refreshing spring soup. Spinach may be used. Use young tender leaves of the sorrel.Cooking time does include chilling time. Can also be chilled overnight.
Provided by Rita1652
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a soup pot, bring the water, potatoes, dill & scallions to a medium boil & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped sorrel & lemon juice, salt, pepper & sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat & discard the dill sprigs.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the cold water till light.
- Very slowly pour 2 cups of the hot stock.
- into the egg mixture, stirring constantly to prevent curdling. Then pour egg mixture back into the soup pot, stirring thoroughly.
- Chill until very cold, at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream & garnish with dill. Top with cucumbers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 174.2, Fat 9.8, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 87.4, Sodium 53.3, Carbohydrate 17.6, Fiber 1.8, Sugar 3.2, Protein 4.9
CHILLED SORREL SOUP
This is a tart, refreshing cold soup with lovely spring green color. I especially like serving sorrel this way.-Sarah Seltzer, Sacramento, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings (1 quart).
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Remove center ribs and stems from sorrel; tie ribs and stems in a bundle and wrap in cheesecloth. Chop leaves into this strips. In a 2-qt. saucepan, combine water, lemon juice, sorrel leaves and bundle of stems. Simmer for 20 minutes; discard stem bundle. , In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; add a small amount of sorrel mixture, stirring constantly. Return all to the pan. Cook and stir until soup thickens (do not boil). Cool; chill for several hours. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and additional sorrel if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 43 calories, Fat 3g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 106mg cholesterol, Sodium 596mg sodium, Carbohydrate 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
COLD SORREL SOUP
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Melt butter over moderate heat in a medium stockpot or Dutch oven. Cook onion with salt and pepper until soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in sorrel and cook over moderate heat, uncovered, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally so the sorrel is evenly cooked.
- Add half and half, water, and Tabasco pepper sauce. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Puree in a blender until smooth and strain through a medium sieve. Stir in lemon juice, adjust with salt and pepper, and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours, or, to serve immediately, chill in bowl rested in another bowl of iced water. Serve cold.
HOT OR COLD SORREL SOUP
The tangy tartness of sorrel is nicely balanced with the cream to make a refreshing soup served cold for those hot days of summer but just as good served hot. Great to put into a thermos for a summer picnic.
Provided by Rita1652
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Melt butter over moderate heat in a medium stockpot or Enamel coated Dutch oven (not cast iron).
- Cook onion, potato, salt and pepper until soft, about 10 minutes add garlic cook 3 more minutes.
- Stir in sorrel and cook over moderate heat, uncovered, about 5 minutes.
- Stirring occasionally to evenly cook.
- Add half and half, water or stock, and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat. Puree in a blender until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours.
- Serve ice cold bowls garnished with your choices.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 190, Fat 13.4, SaturatedFat 8.4, Cholesterol 41.2, Sodium 626.4, Carbohydrate 14.5, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 1.7, Protein 4
CRAIG CLAIBORNE'S SORREL SOUP
- Pick over the sorrel. Remove and discard any tough stems and blemished leaves. Rinse and pat dry. Pack the leaves closely and cut them crosswise into thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the leeks. Cook, stirring, until wilted. Do not brown.
- Add the potatoes to the saucepan and pour in the broth. Bring to the boil and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Strain the broth. Transfer the solids to the container of a food processor. Add about one cup of the cooking liquid and blend thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the remaining liquid. Chill thoroughly.
- Add the sorrel to the chilled soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cream and refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 161, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 16 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 694 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "chilled sorrel soup recipes"
CHILLED LEMONY WOOD SORREL SOUP - VERY VEGAN VAL
SORREL SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE FRENCH SORREL SOUP
SZCZAWIOWA: POLISH SORREL SOUP [RECIPE!] | POLONIST
CHILLED SORREL, POTATO, AND LEEK SOUP - RECIPE
36 COLD SOUP RECIPES TO KEEP YOU COOL THIS SUMMER
CHILLED SORREL SOUP RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (1)Author Mary Sue Milliken and Susan FenigerServings 4-6Category Main-Dish
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Add sorrel and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, or until sorrel is wilted. Add stock or water, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and puree soup in batches in a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Adjust seasonings and transfer soup to a container. Cover and refrigerate until chilled through.
- To serve, ladle chilled soup into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.
CHILLED SORREL SOUP RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
Servings 4Total Time 35 minsCategory LunchCalories 43 per serving
CHILLED SORREL SOUP RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
TOMATO AND SORREL SOUP CHILLED | RECIPES WIKI | FANDOM
RECIPE: COLD SORREL SOUP STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES | HANDY.RECIPES
CHILLED SORREL SOUP RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE OF HOME
CHILLED SORREL AND LETTUCE SOUP - GERLA DE BOER
WOOD SORREL SOUP RECIPE - EDIBLE WILD FOOD
CHILLED SORREL SOUP RECIPE - TEXTCOOK
SORREL SOUP RECIPE JULIA CHILD - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHILLED SORREL SOUP WITH CAVIAR RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
CHILLED SORREL SOUP • A RAINBOW A DAY
CHILLED SORREL SOUP - BIGOVEN.COM
10+ THREE-STEP COLD SOUP RECIPES | EATINGWELL
SORREL SOUP RECIPE (SCHAV) – MOTHER EARTH NEWS
CHILLED SORREL AND SPINACH SOUP RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
SCHAV (CHILLED POLISH SORREL SOUP) - GREATIST
CHILLED SORREL SOUP | RECIPE | SORREL SOUP, VEGAN SOUP, SOUP
CHILLED SORREL SOUP - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
RECIPE: COLD SORREL SOUP WITH YOUNG POTATOES STEP BY STEP WITH …
CHILLED SORREL SOUP RECIPE - SPRY LIVING
COLD SORREL AND COCONUT MILK SOUP – RECIPE – HERBIVORACIOUS
CHILLED CREAM OF SORREL SOUP RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
COLD SORREL SOUP CROSSWORD - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
CHILLED SOUREL SOUP | ELISABETHLUARD
CHILLED LEEK AND SORREL SOUP RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
CHILLED SORREL SOUP - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
FRENCH SORREL SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CHILLED SORREL SOUP – RECIPES NETWORK
#course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #bisques-cream-soups #soups-stews #vegetables #american #canadian #french #european #spring #vegetarian #stove-top #dietary #seasonal #greens #spinach #taste-mood #savory #equipment #presentation #served-cold
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you use Sorrel to make soup?Pass the soup through the medium disk of a food mill. Slice the sorrel into slivers. Reserve a handful for garnish and place the rest in a nonaluminum pot with the remaining 1/2 cup water. Stir over moderate heat until "melted." Add the sorrel to the puree and press the mixture through a fine sieve.
How do you cook sorrel and onion?In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, without browning, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add sorrel and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir over low heat for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
How do you cook sorrel for pesto?Directions. In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, without browning, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add sorrel and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir over low heat for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Stir in boiling stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
How do you make sorrel puree?Slice the sorrel into slivers. Reserve a handful for garnish and place the rest in a nonaluminum pot with the remaining 1/2 cup water. Stir over moderate heat until "melted." Add the sorrel to the puree and press the mixture through a fine sieve.